02. Patterns In The Ivy II

[Legacy Edition bonus DVD]
+ 5.0 Audio Mix Of The Original Album
+ The Making Of Blackwater Park

Top 20 albums of 2001: 1
Top 200 albums of all time: 5
Featured in "Getting Into: Opeth"

Additional info
Recorded at Fredman Studios from August to October 2000.
Produced by Mikael Åkerfeldt
Co-produced by Steven Wilson
Engineered by Fredrik Nordström & Steven Wilson.
Mixed by Steven Wilson and Fredrik Norström while overlooked by Opeth.
Mastered by Göran Finnberg at the Mastering Room.
Photos by Harry Välimäki.
Cover and booklet designed by Travis Smith and Opeth.

"The Leper Affinity [live]" recorded by Brent Carpenter & Pontus Norgren and mixed by Pontus Norgren.
The 5.0 mix on the DVD was done by Jens Borgen for Northern Music Company.
The documentary "The Making Of Blackwater Park" was recorded, directed and edited by Fredrik Odefjard.

Guest review by
Rupophobic
Rating:
Passion. That's what Blackwater Park is all about. Pure, unadulterated passion. Forget that Opeth display musical ability and know-how that is rivaled by few. Forget that the ending to The Leper Affinity goes from what can only be described as one of the greatest jam sessions ever, to a beautiful, yet melancholic pianistic epilogue. Forget that Harvest is one of the greatest acoustic songs ever written. Forget that Blackwater Park contains the perfect metal riff. Forget that Mikael Akerfeld quite possibly has the best voice in all of music. Forget that every moment of this album will make you stand in awe of what you're hearing. Why should you forget all that? Because none of it matters.

Read more ››
published 18.09.2003 | Comments (162)

Guest review by
Storchillarn
Rating:
There are few bands that dare to continuously expand their musical sphere with each release, expecting their fans to accept the changes - even fewer succeed. Mikael Åkerfeldt, song writer and front man of Opeth, has pushed Opeth to do so since the band's inception and perhaps it's this constant change, not giving the audience a chance to adjust to one particular niche, which keeps them from ending up like so many metal bands before them: repetitive and uninspired. 2001 was the year Opeth opened the floodgates of creativity and released what many believe to be their magnum opus, an album so hyped you might doubt its brilliance. I'm here to tell you not to doubt. This is Blackwater Park.

Read more ››
published 19.06.2010 | Comments (15)

Staff review by
ScreamingSteelUS
Rating:
This charade has gone on long enough. It's time someone gave this crappy album an honest assessment.

Read more ››
published 01.04.2018 | Comments (42)

It's hard to believe that human civilization peaked on March 12, 2001, but we of Metal Storm are well aware of the fact that Opeth's Blackwater Park is the single most important and amazing work of art ever to grace our unworthy human senses - and today this pillar of sonic achievement turns 20 years old.

Now, iconic reviews aside, I don't actually believe that Blackwater Park is the greatest album ever released - in fact, it's not even my favorite Opeth album - but there's no denying that it is a milestone in its genre, easily one of the definitive recordings of progressive metal. It ranks among the most significant and influential works in its sphere, standing tall even within Opeth's discography; with a career practically founded on the production of successive magna opera, Opeth will likely never have a single, incontrovertible outlier to be crowned their best, but Blackwater Park does have something like a mythology surrounding it. Maybe you don't have to treat it like the apex of heavy metal, but it's still a damn good progressive death metal record that we can all enjoy, and what more reason do you need to give it a spin?

ScreamingSteelUS's picks | More picks ››

Found in 236 lists
Top lists

Comments page 6 / 8

Comments: 236   Visited by: 4759 users
30.08.2014 - 00:40
Rating: 10
My all time favorite album.
----
"You travel within the glory of my memories, insect. I can feel your fear as you tread the endless expanse of my mind. Make yourself comfortable... before long I will decorate my home with your carcass."
01.09.2014 - 15:43
stunner_300
This album is the closest to perfection for sure
10.10.2014 - 10:05
Rating: 8
buff
Still Life is easily better than this album. Even as an Opeth fan who owned this the day it was released, I must say it is a very good yet overrated disc.
28.10.2014 - 05:24
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Black Waterpark.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
16.11.2014 - 01:32
mz
"1" seriously?
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
16.11.2014 - 01:39
Rating: 6
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
^ It must be a really bad album. I have over 1000 votes and never managed to find an album deserving such a low score o.O
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
20.11.2014 - 00:18
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by Guest on 09.06.2014 at 17:47

Oh, what an overrated album.
Lacks heaviness, songwriting, and a stable point.
BWP, in the other way, is a 7/10, to much.

"What an overrated album", "I rate it 7/10"
*rates it 10/10*

Because fuck logic. Must be a troll account.
----
21.11.2014 - 14:23
SongsOfDarkness
Account deleted
Written by Jaeryd on 20.11.2014 at 00:18

Written by Guest on 09.06.2014 at 17:47

Oh, what an overrated album.
Lacks heaviness, songwriting, and a stable point.
BWP, in the other way, is a 7/10, to much.

"What an overrated album", "I rate it 7/10"
*rates it 10/10*

Because fuck logic. Must be a troll account.

Hahaha, the whole thing bugged! Calm down! It's good, but not the best Opeth album IMO.
21.11.2014 - 19:57
SongsOfDarkness
Account deleted
Written by raveneffect on 09.06.2014 at 19:25

Hating beautiful and complex music just for the sake of hating is really something I dont understand. If they were all living in 5 story mansions, driving in limo's, drinking champaigne and being blown constantly by 1000 dollar hookers...but thats not the case

Ironically, i love Opeth. I just prefer Damnation and My Arms Your Hearse over BWP, just because IN MY OPINION they are better in composition and the use of both: melodic and heavy stuff.
22.11.2014 - 09:20
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by Guest on 21.11.2014 at 14:23

Hahaha, the whole thing bugged! Calm down! It's good, but not the best Opeth album IMO.

I don't care about your opinion, you can think whatever you want. It's okay for you to think this album isn't that great. I was just wanting you to be consistent. Now that your rating is fixed to match your spoken opinion, there's no problem.
----
22.11.2014 - 14:03
SongsOfDarkness
Account deleted
Written by Jaeryd on 22.11.2014 at 09:20

Written by Guest on 21.11.2014 at 14:23

I don't care about your opinion, you can think whatever you want. It's okay for you to think this album isn't that great. I was just wanting you to be consistent. Now that your rating is fixed to match your spoken opinion, there's no problem.

Who cares about who say on a shithole? It's obvious. Peace
22.11.2014 - 21:41
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by Guest on 22.11.2014 at 14:03

Who cares about who say on a shithole? It's obvious. Peace

Is... Is this a second account for Bad English?
----
16.12.2014 - 22:17
Zap
This would have probably been my favorite Opeth album if it wasn't for some (what I thought were) filler moments and The Funeral Portrait (which is a pretty mediocre song on an otherwise excellent album, apart from that awesome clean-sung part, which is fucking short anyhow)
So close... Cut about 10-12 minutes and it would have been as good as perfect.
12.01.2015 - 16:41
Magnum opus
16.01.2015 - 01:02
Kreator22
Nothing too special honestly. A fair and good album.
29.01.2015 - 08:43
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Well, I finally developed some love for this.
----
04.03.2015 - 11:23
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Written by Maco on 29.01.2015 at 08:43

Well, I finally developed some love for this.

I'm with ya on that, Maco. I'm picking up Opeth after giving them a break for a few years and this album is pretty monumental.
----
Coldgrits
12.03.2015 - 12:35
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Good album, some way band start to change you can feel if you are listening it in order, I like this calm vocal parts
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
29.04.2016 - 19:49
MeloMania
Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lox6ba8w9w0

Excellent 15th anniversary guitar cover.
19.08.2016 - 09:15
MetalAce
The Eternal
A piece of heaven
31.08.2016 - 23:52
Rating: 7
Pikemaster
Easiest Opeth album to get into imo.
----
"Soon its tail raises the mud
The beast is ready for attack
The reel screams the line beings to run
And the struggle shall begin"
19.09.2016 - 20:43
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Yeah their easiest and their second best.
----
18.10.2016 - 04:43
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
This album is pretty "meh". Their newest albums are better than this one by far. Those ones are so much more original and groundbreaking, whereas this one doesn't really sound all that special.
----
25.10.2017 - 21:30
Rating: 9
Sang Dalang Abu
Easiest? really? I think their 8th album is easier to get into. Well for Pink Floyd, Genesis, Van der Graff fans maybe this album easy for you, for those who always really listen to prog, but what if you never/rarely listen to prog? well this album take much time!!
27.11.2017 - 14:39
VIG
Account deleted
Written by Jaeryd on 18.10.2016 at 04:43

This album is pretty "meh". Their newest albums are better than this one by far. Those ones are so much more original and groundbreaking, whereas this one doesn't really sound all that special.

Yet you give it a 10.

Refer to rules 2 and 3
01.12.2017 - 16:31
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by Guest on 27.11.2017 at 14:39

Yet you give it a 10.

Refer to rules 2 and 3

Maybe you're being facetious, but if not... I was being facetious. Feigning disinterest and all.
----
14.02.2018 - 09:49
ProfZero
Opeth - Blackwater Park

How did we come to this?

How could have winter come so sudden, unexpected? How can this place be so dark, and cold, and confusing, and terrifying? Am I alone in all of this madness? I could not even remember having walked into this majestic, delirious memorial of the starkest sunset; and yet I am being abducted, grasped by invisible hands and left, still dazzled, prey to the horrors of Blackwater Park.
These woods are unmerciful. The very branches, roots, thorns and vines, all linger for the blood of the living. The air itself pierces flesh like an icy string, malevolent; and all above, and around, the blackness incessantly sews the dystopic veil of the night. But then why now, in the midst of such distorted desolation, I can't feel lost? Why all of these screams, of possession, tragedy and despair, can not take over me entirely, as they could, if I just held back but one fraction?

Where am I really?

Bleak. As I move my first, stranded steps, the black curtain appears to be slowly lifting; frozen dims of light filter. I regain my breath, and a clearer voice whispers to my ears, words of sin, treachery and bereavement. Nightmares came in the plain light of the day; no truce is left for those walking these woods. I am offered help, a cure; the oblivious sip from the chalice of past memories. I can't accept. And then comes the night again, and its demons; white cedes to black, in the perpetual repetition of an obnoxious, terrific vision.

I fall. I let the shroud take me, wanting to know no more of this insanity. I recede into a dream of harvest, a delicate chord resounds from far back in time, a friendly remembrance. I am not alone. Reassured, I approach a man, walking a secure tread; high his glance. He had already been where I was; yet walked willingly past those gates, already wary of the shadows ahead, and still relinquished, quiet; one with death.

Death.

Death is all of this, and I couldn't see it. As if waking up, amidst mourners' laments, I force the grip that silently clutched me, and find myself back into the night, all over again. And then, suddenly, I realize - I understand what the night is saying. I ask for a way back; I am given none. I ask for the strength to endure all that pain - and, as if in choir with the shadows, I am given vibrant reply. That very forest is a cemetery; the endless, limitless graveyard of all those who gave up hope, and life. Sins, were but invites through the gates; regrets, the dead leaves paving the ground into the darkness. In the feverish vision of a glimpse of decadent eternity I saw the drapery of humanity falling, revealing a crowd of lost souls already wandering that horrid estate, their number surpassed only by that of those hesitantly walking the borders, only timidly peeping through the mire.

I am left with soliloquy. How did I come into this desperate November? I see nothing at my back - all I held dear is gone. And yet I can't embrace the dearth beside me - not willingly. Resistance, it's not; meaningless here to try to avail the might of desperation eternal. It's horror - and a status of trance awake, as if I never moved out of the remotest corner of my thoughts.
No chance to relinquish, again. My inner self, to which I just turned, proves no shelter to this cursed den. Announced by the potent yell of those already fallen, Death triumphant appears, clad in the magnificent regalia of an adorned, vain funeral. Bodies it claims not; souls, not the loot she craves. Like in a dream of power and eternity unchained, Death's ruby eyes loathe for supreme domination. In that park condemned, Death herself, in the third night of my prison, reclaims her tragic throne over generations; sigils and emblems of perpetual subjugation to nothingness.

I am given to see all this - perhaps that was my role from the very beginning. Spectator of a derelict, cursed vision of inescapable things to come. Death's victor is complete - in and above the living, over these rotten spoils She has set her perennial stage, served, fed and revered by the infinite multitudes of the forgotten, and the forlorn.

I drift. Disgust, despair and doom win me over - and yet I come to witness the final twist in the horror. I glance down - that place bears the clear, unmistakable mark of men. Sick, deviated hands erected that monumental mark.

Men built the throne of Death; men sowed Her crop; men established Her obelisk.

It was men who made Blackwater Park.

Besides the magnum opus of Opeth, Blackwater Park, few words can stand up to match the technical accuracy; lyrics depth; and musical reach the band concentrated, at its highest level, in one single album. Words and music are one, uniting to depict a wicked canvass crossing the limits of the purest art.

Blackwater Park is not listened; it is entered. And none of those who will, shall come back the same.
----
Just when we realize
That we are alive
We die
14.02.2018 - 17:11
Zap
Lots and lots of pure, unadulterated passion.
14.02.2018 - 19:30
Rating: 9
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Zap on 14.02.2018 at 17:11

unadulterated passion.

Internet history.
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
17.02.2018 - 17:24
Erudon
After listening so much Opeth my favorite albuns were always changing, but i still remember how amazing i felt when i listened to this album for the first time
so this album feels more special for me.

Hits total: 142449 | This month: 369