02. Patterns In The Ivy II

[Legacy Edition bonus DVD]
+ 5.0 Audio Mix Of The Original Album
+ The Making Of Blackwater Park

Top 20 albums of 2001: 1
Top 200 albums of all time: 5
Featured in "Getting Into: Opeth"

Additional info
Recorded at Fredman Studios from August to October 2000.
Produced by Mikael Åkerfeldt
Co-produced by Steven Wilson
Engineered by Fredrik Nordström & Steven Wilson.
Mixed by Steven Wilson and Fredrik Norström while overlooked by Opeth.
Mastered by Göran Finnberg at the Mastering Room.
Photos by Harry Välimäki.
Cover and booklet designed by Travis Smith and Opeth.

"The Leper Affinity [live]" recorded by Brent Carpenter & Pontus Norgren and mixed by Pontus Norgren.
The 5.0 mix on the DVD was done by Jens Borgen for Northern Music Company.
The documentary "The Making Of Blackwater Park" was recorded, directed and edited by Fredrik Odefjard.

Guest review by
Rupophobic
Rating:
Passion. That's what Blackwater Park is all about. Pure, unadulterated passion. Forget that Opeth display musical ability and know-how that is rivaled by few. Forget that the ending to The Leper Affinity goes from what can only be described as one of the greatest jam sessions ever, to a beautiful, yet melancholic pianistic epilogue. Forget that Harvest is one of the greatest acoustic songs ever written. Forget that Blackwater Park contains the perfect metal riff. Forget that Mikael Akerfeld quite possibly has the best voice in all of music. Forget that every moment of this album will make you stand in awe of what you're hearing. Why should you forget all that? Because none of it matters.

Read more ››
published 18.09.2003 | Comments (162)

Guest review by
Storchillarn
Rating:
There are few bands that dare to continuously expand their musical sphere with each release, expecting their fans to accept the changes - even fewer succeed. Mikael Åkerfeldt, song writer and front man of Opeth, has pushed Opeth to do so since the band's inception and perhaps it's this constant change, not giving the audience a chance to adjust to one particular niche, which keeps them from ending up like so many metal bands before them: repetitive and uninspired. 2001 was the year Opeth opened the floodgates of creativity and released what many believe to be their magnum opus, an album so hyped you might doubt its brilliance. I'm here to tell you not to doubt. This is Blackwater Park.

Read more ››
published 19.06.2010 | Comments (15)

Staff review by
ScreamingSteelUS
Rating:
This charade has gone on long enough. It's time someone gave this crappy album an honest assessment.

Read more ››
published 01.04.2018 | Comments (42)

It's hard to believe that human civilization peaked on March 12, 2001, but we of Metal Storm are well aware of the fact that Opeth's Blackwater Park is the single most important and amazing work of art ever to grace our unworthy human senses - and today this pillar of sonic achievement turns 20 years old.

Now, iconic reviews aside, I don't actually believe that Blackwater Park is the greatest album ever released - in fact, it's not even my favorite Opeth album - but there's no denying that it is a milestone in its genre, easily one of the definitive recordings of progressive metal. It ranks among the most significant and influential works in its sphere, standing tall even within Opeth's discography; with a career practically founded on the production of successive magna opera, Opeth will likely never have a single, incontrovertible outlier to be crowned their best, but Blackwater Park does have something like a mythology surrounding it. Maybe you don't have to treat it like the apex of heavy metal, but it's still a damn good progressive death metal record that we can all enjoy, and what more reason do you need to give it a spin?

ScreamingSteelUS's picks | More picks ››

Found in 236 lists
Top lists

Comments page 7 / 8

Comments: 236   Visited by: 4759 users
02.01.2019 - 23:21
Maasai Mara
Ah! Sweden, the land of melody and all that is beautiful. Metalstorm admins are cowards for not giving the option to rate albums 0. This is weak, plods along meaninglessly, the acoustic passages are dull.The vocals are the worst , the songs are too long for their own good. The band should just have stuck to the generic formula of the song harvest and produced a prog rock album instead. If this connects with your emotionally and is some kind of journey into the depression and darkness in your life, well that is the reason why you are depressed. Go listen to some doom metal or atmospheric black.
----
You are not metal enough until you visit Kenya. The cradle of mankind, where man learnt first to work with stones and first enjoyed the sounds produced by banging stones which later influenced metal in all its sounds and genres.
03.01.2019 - 11:06
nikarg
staff
Written by Maasai Mara on 02.01.2019 at 23:21

Ah! Sweden, the land of melody and all that is beautiful. Metalstorm admins are cowards for not giving the option to rate albums 0. This is weak, plods along meaninglessly, the acoustic passages are dull.The vocals are the worst , the songs are too long for their own good. The band should just have stuck to the generic formula of the song harvest and produced a prog rock album instead. If this connects with your emotionally and is some kind of journey into the depression and darkness in your life, well that is the reason why you are depressed. Go listen to some doom metal or atmospheric black.

Dude, I don't like Opeth either but this is some next level bashing. It is not that bad.
03.01.2019 - 11:47
Maasai Mara
Written by nikarg on 03.01.2019 at 11:06

Dude, I don't like Opeth either but this is some next level bashing. It is not that bad.

It's that bad considering all the hype around it like its some kind of masterpiece. Opeth have too many things going on here that this ends up being a mash up of nothing significant. Seeing that this is the most expensive album on the metalstorm top 10 albums is really laughable.
----
You are not metal enough until you visit Kenya. The cradle of mankind, where man learnt first to work with stones and first enjoyed the sounds produced by banging stones which later influenced metal in all its sounds and genres.
03.01.2019 - 23:51
Rating: 7
Starvynth
i c deaf people
staff
Written by Maasai Mara on 02.01.2019 at 23:21

[...] Metalstorm admins are cowards for not giving the option to rate albums 0. This is weak, plods along meaninglessly, the acoustic passages are dull.The vocals are the worst , the songs are too long for their own good. [...]

Are you very sure you understood the rating system? I'm not a big Opeth fan either, but 1/10 is plain absurd and you know it.

Not all of your reactions are utter bullshit, so besides the joys of anonymous pubertal trolling, what is your intention?
Bashing the most popular albums on MS and spreading random ratings has no effect. You will not change the average and you can not influence opinions.
Besides, it's a pity you don't have the balls to express yourself via your real account. Only cowards use new fake accounts just for the sake of trolling.
----
signatures = SPAM
04.01.2019 - 05:22
Rating: 9
InnerSelf
proofread free
Quote:
This is weak, plods along meaninglessly, the acoustic passages are dull.The vocals are the worst , the songs are too long for their own good.

Heh, saying you don't like an album is 100% fine, I don't mind it at all, I hate a lot of music that is highly-regarded/critically-acclaimed but saying this as if it's fact and not an opinion is so stupid and is typical troll behavior.
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
04.01.2019 - 05:32
Mercurial
It's fine guys, he'll either run out of classic albums to moan about, or his mum will call him up from his basement to put his crusty spunk socks in the washing and he'll forget all about MS.
04.01.2019 - 07:45
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Has Mr. Strawberry returned?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.01.2019 - 12:27
Starvynth
i c deaf people
staff
I don't think so. The infamous Mr. Strawberry suffered a serious malfunction defining and understanding genres and his English was quite bad.
But the self acclaimed Metal Maasai is most probably a native speaker, focusing on pointless bashing of established bands and classic albums just like Angelic Man did a few days ago. In fact, they could be related somehow, maybe Ivan should compare their IPs.
----
signatures = SPAM
04.01.2019 - 13:29
Maasai Mara
Written by Starvynth on 03.01.2019 at 23:51

Are you very sure you understood the rating system? I'm not a big Opeth fan either, but 1/10 is plain absurd and you know it.

Not all of your reactions are utter bullshit, so besides the joys of anonymous pubertal trolling, what is your intention?
Bashing the most popular albums on MS and spreading random ratings has no effect. You will not change the average and you can not influence opinions.
Besides, it's a pity you don't have the balls to express yourself via your real account. Only cowards use new fake accounts just for the sake of trolling.

yes, 1/10 is absurd for this borefest and that is why i was shocked that they is no 0.

Mr. policeman, i am expressing genuinely how i find the albums that i rate. I get an impression that it is somehow taboo to rate albums on metalstorm less than a 7 no matter how shite they sound to the person giving the ratings.
----
04.01.2019 - 13:31
Maasai Mara
Written by InnerSelf on 04.01.2019 at 05:22

Quote:
This is weak, plods along meaninglessly, the acoustic passages are dull.The vocals are the worst , the songs are too long for their own good.

Heh, saying you don't like an album is 100% fine, I don't mind it at all, I hate a lot of music that is highly-regarded/critically-acclaimed but saying this as if it's fact and not an opinion is so stupid and is typical troll behavior.

i fail to see how you end up reading my comment as a fact rather than opinion.
----
04.01.2019 - 13:32
Maasai Mara
Written by Mercurial on 04.01.2019 at 05:32

It's fine guys, he'll either run out of classic albums to moan about, or his mum will call him up from his basement to put his crusty spunk socks in the washing and he'll forget all about MS.

i find it hilarious that it is only problematic if i rate the so called classics negatively and no one is complaining if i rate them highly.
----
04.01.2019 - 13:33
Maasai Mara
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.01.2019 at 07:45

Has Mr. Strawberry returned?

is there a rating committee that i should consult before rating albums on metalstorm.
----
04.01.2019 - 13:34
Maasai Mara
Written by Starvynth on 04.01.2019 at 12:27

I don't think so. The infamous Mr. Strawberry suffered a serious malfunction defining and understanding genres and his English was quite bad.
But the self acclaimed Metal Maasai is most probably a native speaker, focusing on pointless bashing of established bands and classic albums just like Angelic Man did a few days ago. In fact, they could be related somehow, maybe Ivan should compare their IPs.

Mr. Ivan should fire you and hire a new policeman. 0/10 sleuthing skills
----
04.01.2019 - 13:37
Mercurial
Written by Maasai Mara on 04.01.2019 at 13:32

i find it hilarious that it is only problematic if i rate the so called classics negatively and no one is complaining if i rate them highly.

Maybe the Kenyan heat is making mundane things seems hilarious.
19.05.2019 - 05:12
InnerSelf
proofread free
Everything that has to be said about this album has already been said but goddamn ... going back and listening to it after all those years is still rewarding af. The way the album closes with Blackwater Park is just glorious, this song alone is an achievement in itself. Opeth deserve all the praise they get.
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
19.05.2020 - 05:01
TSRodriguez
I didn't wanna believe the hype, I was sure this was a poser album, an overhyped pseudo emotional drivel... but god damn! it's an amazing record, damn near perfect... This probably has the most emotive section in any metal record I've heard (the end of the chorus in Bleak)
19.05.2020 - 13:22
gavdann
Written by TSRodriguez on 19.05.2020 at 05:01

I didn't wanna believe the hype, I was sure this was a poser album, an overhyped pseudo emotional drivel... but god damn! it's an amazing record, damn near perfect... This probably has the most emotive section in any metal record I've heard (the end of the chorus in Bleak)

I must confess, their latter albums leave me cold but their earlier stuff (and BP in particular) are immense. Their Royal Albert Hall show from a few years back when they played this in it's entirety was top 10 best ever gig worthy.
06.09.2020 - 22:11
Rating: 8
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Maco on 29.01.2015 at 08:43

Well, I finally developed some love for this.

It only took me 7 years after repeatedly posting about how much I can't get into Opeth, but I finally came around to this one after an all-night discog stream. You beat me by a minute.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
07.09.2020 - 05:06
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Written by Troy Killjoy on 06.09.2020 at 22:11

You beat me by a minute.

A minute in Canada means 5 years?
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
13.11.2020 - 05:43
Rating: 10
Gammont
FOR ME this album is a masterpiece, a complete breakthrough in Opeth's songwriting, the build up from the subtle introduction of The Leper Affinity to the ending riff of the title track is a joy for my soul... I've listened to this album hundreds of times and I can't find one thing that I don't like about it.
03.01.2021 - 02:08
JavierPaper
Excellent album! There isn't a bad song in this album, Best songs: Blackwater Park, The Funeral Portrait and The Drapery Falls (my opinion)
14.03.2021 - 15:20
tsd
It's quite common for Opeth first timers or prog rock fans to give it an exaggerated rating. I dub it the beginning of a midlife crisis release for Opeth. Allow me to explain.

An solid album but marred by heavy Wilsonesque influences. Used to enjoy it very much at first when it came out.

Then, as time went on, found it copying the Wilson cliches too much. A fan familiar with the output of the mid 00s Porcupine Tree (or his projects at the time) will be able to identify those cliches. That alone does not lend itself to a 10 for this release due to lacking in originality. True, there are good, memorable riffs on here but that's not enough, as the album is spoilt by the aforementioned influences. To give you one example of a staple Wilsonesque cliche somewhat forced onto this record (and subsequent ones unfortunately): clean vocal section with the over-the-phone voice effect.
In contrast, Still Life is more focused, a more honest, original and self-contained release, albeit with minor flaws.

If I were raving about Blackwater Park, I'd rather err on side of caution and give it a 9 or 8 than an unquestionable 10, which I reckon is reserved to absolute cornerstones of music.

Is this an outstanding or a groundbreaking release in the history of music? I doubt it. It deserves a 7 or 8 at most, given the lacking originality.
04.04.2021 - 12:37
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
contributor
The most overatted album I've ever listened to, I'm not faulting the quality of the musicianship, there is some excellent instrumental work and the vocals are good, I just thought parts of the album dragged on too much, and I got bored easily listening to it, Dirge of November makes me feel sleepy, and I found Leper Affinity uninteresting, I liked the title song in parts, as well as Drapery falls but not the whole songs.

I've tried many times to get into the album, it's grown on me slightly, but I still find it a bit tedious in parts, Harvest and Bleak are my favourite two songs off the album.
04.05.2021 - 13:48
nonZero
The best Prog album ever recorded IMO (only slightly beating Edge of Sanity's 'Crimson'), and one of a small handful of albums I would consider to be a perfect 10/10.
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)
21.05.2021 - 20:41
Rating: 5
metalbrat
I had given a thought more than a number if times that I should write down my dislike of the band Opeth but everytime I end up thinking that the metalheads in MS would be laughing at me.
Finally I have the courage today to express myself out that whatever rating I gave this album is for the sake of maintaining overall rating and fir me Opeth never clicked and I wouldn't have rated BWP not more than 5, if not for the reason I stated above.
----
In the beginning I was made of clay. Then I bit the apple and they changed me to metal 🤘
21.05.2021 - 21:36
Redel
Written by metalbrat on 21.05.2021 at 20:41

I had given a thought more than a number if times that I should write down my dislike of the band Opeth but everytime I end up thinking that the metalheads in MS would be laughing at me.
Finally I have the courage today to express myself out that whatever rating I gave this album is for the sake of maintaining overall rating and fir me Opeth never clicked and I wouldn't have rated BWP not more than 5, if not for the reason I stated above.

It would be courageous of you if you actually rated it 5 then. It would not change the overall rating by more than a margin anyway.
22.05.2021 - 13:53
metalbrat
Written by Redel on 21.05.2021 at 21:36

It would be courageous of you if you actually rated it 5 then. It would not change the overall rating by more than a margin anyway.

Well...that sounds right....anyways...lemme think about it few more times and then I might change..👍
----
In the beginning I was made of clay. Then I bit the apple and they changed me to metal 🤘
22.05.2021 - 15:48
Redel
Written by metalbrat on 22.05.2021 at 13:53

Well...that sounds right....anyways...lemme think about it few more times and then I might change..👍

I dont want to push you into thinking you have to rate it 5. I do like it when people vote honestly. And you already expressed your opinion honestly in your words. So, you would just have to adjust your vote accordingly.
And dont worry too much about the overall rating of this album please. 9.25 as of now -- this is incredibly high, already when compared to other albums in the Top 200.
26.05.2021 - 09:54
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
contributor

I'm glad you had the courage to give this the rating you did, I believe a 5 is justified, as I was also thinking of giving a 5 myself, but after endlessly hearing it over and over desperately trying to get in to it more, I decided to give it a higher score, because although I find it ridiculously boring in parts I don't want to upset all those people who find this a masterpiece, and it does have it's moments, although I feel we are in the minority.
26.05.2021 - 17:38
metalbrat
Quote:
I decided to give it a higher score, because although I find it ridiculously boring in parts I don't want to upset all those people who find this a masterpiece, and it does have it's moments, although I feel we are in the minority.

Very true and exactly what I felt.,👍
----

Hits total: 142399 | This month: 319