09. A Moment Of Clarity [Instrumental] ['96 demos]
10. Bite The Pain [Instrumental] ['96 demos]
11. Story To Tell [Instrumental] ['96 demos]
12. Voice Of The Soul [Instrumental] ['96 demos]
13. A Moment Of Clarity [Instrumental] ['96 demos]

Top 20 albums of 1998: 1
Top 200 albums of all time: 10

Additional info
Nuclear Blast Records released a deluxe edition in December 2005. It contains the original album as well as the DVD Live in Cottbus '98 and press pictures. It was also released as a DualDisc.

Relapse Records released a second deluxe edition on February 15, 2011. The album was remastered and reissued in deluxe 2-CD and 3-CD formats, with the additional CDs containing unreleased demo material.

Produced by Jim Morris and Chuck Schuldiner.
Engineered, mixed and mastered by Jim Morris at Morrisound Studios, Tampa, Florida.
Artwork by Travis Smith.
Art direction and design by Chuck Schuldiner and Travis Smith.

Remastered by Alan Douches at West West Side Music.
Additional bonus material mastered by Alan Douches at West West Side Music.
Reissue coordination by Drew Juergens.
Layout by Jacob Speis.

Guest review by
Yanko
Rating:
This is it. Finally, after more than 10 years of waiting, we have got It. The one, the only the true thrash metal album. Death have had six releases, have made some drastic changes in their style and have achieved it finally.

Despite being labeled as the fathers of death metal, only their first album is truly death metal, mainly due to vocal abilities of main-man Chuck Schuldiner, who was never really a death vocal. His singing has steadily and gradually evolved into more and more shrieking, until now on this album we hear him really screaming. Not many people came to terms with it and have accepted, but it is what thrash metal is all about. Its most distinct feature are the vocals and Chuck has shown what thrash vocals should sound like. Screaming, aggressive, full of feeling, coming right from the heart. True thrash metal that is.

Read more ››
published 15.09.2003 | Comments (28)

Guest review by
K✞ulu
Rating:
I'm not going to start this review with whining about how unfortunate we are for having lost Chuck Schuldiner back in 2001 and The Sound Of Perseverance being the last Death album. Chuck was a great musician indeed, but fate was too cruel to him, and he passed away. The legacy in form of his music though is with us, so let's talk about it.

Read more ››
published 06.07.2008 | Comments (24)

Guest review by
metaniac
Rating:
What started off from Individual Thought Patterns and continued through Symbolic as a slight progressive-thrash deviation for Death casts its full blown dominance in The Sound Of Perseverance. Just before Chuck goes out with his plans on Control Denied, this album comes out.

It is very hard to single out highlight songs from an album with so many exquisite technical creations, nevertheless, "Scavenger OF Human Sorrow", "Spirit Crusher", "Voice Of the Soul", "Bite the Pain", "A Moment Of Clarity" stand out among the tracks. Listening to the whole album from beginning to the end is a downright MUST and also a request.

Read more ››
published 28.10.2010 | Comments (18)

Guest review by
Hermann Langke
Rating:
What better name for a metal band? Especially one concentrating so fixedly on the snuffing out of life? The sonic blood-curdling career of mainman Chuck Schuldiner is one of the most celebrated in the development of death metal as a thrash sub-genre. Death were the daddies of this hack 'n' slay brand of guitar violence, and anyone with even the vaguest wish to count themselves as practitioners of extreme noise, from Carcass to Deicide, from Obituary to Cannibal Corpse, would count Schuldiner's unholy racket as a major influence.

Read more ››
published 23.04.2011 | Comments (29)

Found in 154 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 5

Comments: 145   Visited by: 3242 users
30.05.2012 - 05:21
Rating: 10
infernaldeath87

Too many low votes! What the hell.
30.05.2012 - 05:29
Rating: 9
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Five near-perfect review scores and in the top 10 albums of all time on Metal Storm.

Totally way too many low votes.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
30.05.2012 - 08:46
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Troy Killjoy on 30.05.2012 at 05:29

Five near-perfect review scores and in the top 10 albums of all time on Metal Storm.

Totally way too many low votes.

sarcasm is the language of the devil, young killjoy
01.06.2012 - 00:26
neiluria

Great album!
19.06.2012 - 04:15
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
For some reason I found myself listening to the "Painkiller" cover on Youtube... what an atrocious cover. Great album aside from that, but someone should have told him he just doesn't have the vocals for a song like that.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
19.06.2012 - 04:51
Timmeh
Dudeman
Written by Troy Killjoy on 19.06.2012 at 04:15
For some reason I found myself listening to the "Painkiller" cover on Youtube... what an atrocious cover. Great album aside from that, but someone should have told him he just doesn't have the vocals for a song like that.

I always assumed that cover was meant more as a fun gag than a serious cover. Atrocious or not, I do enjoy the drumming a lot more in this version than the already well percussed original.
19.06.2012 - 05:06
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I always imagined Shuldiner as more of a professional, no-bullshit kind of guy when it came to writing music, so I never really looked at the cover as joke material (even though it sounds more like a joke than anything). Regardless, the musicianship is obviously tight and the sound is a lot heavier, but man his vocals just take away any ounce of enjoyment for me.
----
23.06.2012 - 20:36
Mr. Meat Hook

So many reviews... All in the green.
10.07.2012 - 13:18
Death_95

This album is too beautiful to be real.
10.07.2012 - 14:58
musicalkaratekid

Can't explain just how flawless this album is.
30.07.2012 - 23:33
infernaldeath87

Written by Troy Killjoy on 19.06.2012 at 05:06

I always imagined Shuldiner as more of a professional, no-bullshit kind of guy when it came to writing music, so I never really looked at the cover as joke material (even though it sounds more like a joke than anything). Regardless, the musicianship is obviously tight and the sound is a lot heavier, but man his vocals just take away any ounce of enjoyment for me.

I always thought his vocals were pretty awesome and unique, but that's just me I suppose. Classic album by the way!
13.10.2012 - 02:33
Rating: 6
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
What's the point of 4 reviews that all give this over a 9? If an album is going to have multiple reviews shouldn't they be from different views?
13.10.2012 - 07:12
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Alex F on 13.10.2012 at 02:33

What's the point of 4 reviews that all give this over a 9? If an album is going to have multiple reviews shouldn't they be from different views?

4 people submitted reviews that happened to like the album... feel free to submit your own
30.10.2012 - 20:44
bblitz

This is metal at its pure beauty and perfection!!Fantastic record that marks the top of metal musicianship!
R.I.P. Chuck
13.11.2012 - 13:11
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
By far the worst death album there is.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.11.2012 - 17:06
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Soheil KD on 03.06.2012 at 20:11

This is the best death metal album in history:banger:

has nothing to do with death metal this album
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.12.2012 - 20:32
Sumentaa

This album is just perfect Too bad that it's their last album.
----
Thy soul shall find itself alone
'Mid dark thoughts of the grey tomb-stone;
Not one, of all the crowd, to pry
Into thine hour of secrecy.
"Spirits of the Dead-Edgar Allan Poe"
24.02.2013 - 15:44
Illog1cal
Account deleted
The songwriting on this album is not good at all. Take 'Flesh and the Power it Holds' for example: the song begins with one whole section of riffs and then onto this break in the song where all the guitar solos come in, once that is finished you have that whole section of riffs and also lyrics again before the break until the end of the song. Its repetitive, pointless and the song has no purpose, it goes nowhere. 'Symbolic' and some of 'Individual Thought Patterns' suffered from this type of dull cyclical songwriting too, but not to this extent.
24.02.2013 - 17:33
Rating: 8
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Guest on 24.02.2013 at 15:44

The songwriting on this album is not good at all. Take 'Flesh and the Power it Holds' for example: the song begins with one whole section of riffs and then onto this break in the song where all the guitar solos come in, once that is finished you have that whole section of riffs and also lyrics again before the break until the end of the song. Its repetitive, pointless and the song has no purpose, it goes nowhere. 'Symbolic' and some of 'Individual Thought Patterns' suffered from this type of dull cyclical songwriting too, but not to this extent.

How is that song structure cyclical? Your explanation makes it look quite simpler that it actually is, even if it's pretty basic really. How would you expect a song structure to be so it's not "repetitive and pointless"? I bet lots of songs you like have a similar structure actually.
24.02.2013 - 18:42
Illog1cal
Account deleted
Written by Unhealer on 24.02.2013 at 17:33

How is that song structure cyclical? Your explanation makes it look quite simpler that it actually is, even if it's pretty basic really. How would you expect a song structure to be so it's not "repetitive and pointless"? I bet lots of songs you like have a similar structure actually.

Its fine to repeat small sections of the song, but not to replicate a whole 2 and a half minutes exactly as it was played earlier on in the song, at least mix up the order of the riffs so that its not so painfully easy to predict. Yes, there probably are a lot of songs that I listen to that have a similar structure, but those songs probably have much more interesting riffs to begin with and the song would be half as long, these riffs are plain low power chord chugging most of the time, where are the great riffs that were present in Leprosy or Spiritual Healing?
24.02.2013 - 19:01
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick

The songwriting is extremely sub par, but the icing on the cake (assuming this is a shit cake with shitty icing) are Chuck's vocals. I loved them on the first two albums, and they were alright after that. But his screams on this are cringe-worthy. I think Marcel once described them as being Donald Duck on helium, and I'd say that's a perfectly accurate description.
24.02.2013 - 19:04
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 24.02.2013 at 18:42

where are the great riffs that were present in Leprosy or Spiritual Healing?

Exactly and also on Scream Bloody Gore.

TSOP is really by far Death's weakest album for me.

EDIT: now quoted properly
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.02.2013 - 19:05
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Alex F on 24.02.2013 at 19:01

I think Marcel once described them as being Donald Duck on helium, and I'd say that's a perfectly accurate description.

I did indeed and still do it on a regular basis. Chuck's vocals were never strong, also not on the earlist albums and demo's but he really got terrible later on in his career.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.02.2013 - 19:09
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.02.2013 at 19:05

I did indeed and still do it on a regular basis. Chuck's vocals were never strong, also not on the earlist albums and demo's but he really got terrible later on in his career.

I've always thought his vocals fit better on their first two albums. Nothing spectacular, but they were at least good.
24.02.2013 - 19:33
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Alex F on 24.02.2013 at 19:09

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.02.2013 at 19:05

I've always thought his vocals fit better on their first two albums. Nothing spectacular, but they were at least good.

They were generic and that's pretty much it. Typical growls where the music made up for them greatly, just like almost all death metal. Just like in this case.
24.02.2013 - 19:37
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Guest on 24.02.2013 at 19:33

They were generic and that's pretty much it, typical growls where the music made up for them greatly. Just like in this case.

Except in this case, along with the vocals being much much worse, the song composition makes up for nothing, and actually worsens the problem
24.02.2013 - 19:41
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Alex F on 24.02.2013 at 19:37

Written by Guest on 24.02.2013 at 19:33

They were generic and that's pretty much it, typical growls where the music made up for them greatly. Just like in this case.

Except in this case, along with the vocals being much much worse, the song composition makes up for nothing, and actually worsens the problem

I think you must be confusing this record with Symbolic.
24.02.2013 - 19:43
Rating: 8
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Guest on 24.02.2013 at 18:42

Its fine to repeat small sections of the song, but not to replicate a whole 2 and a half minutes exactly as it was played earlier on in the song, at least mix up the order of the riffs so that its not so painfully easy to predict. Yes, there probably are a lot of songs that I listen to that have a similar structure, but those songs probably have much more interesting riffs to begin with and the song would be half as long, these riffs are plain low power chord chugging most of the time, where are the great riffs that were present in Leprosy or Spiritual Healing?

I think the riffs on the first albums are very innocent, those of a songwriter who has yet a lot of ways to explore. And if this record consist of plain low power chords then at least it's not the chromatic one note tremolo riffing that predominates on the records you mentioned And I'm not complaining about either of them, I love all the albums they've released except Scream Bloody Gore which I have yet to buy. It's just that Chuck's later compositions have the jazzy touch on them, I find them a bit more interesting.
24.02.2013 - 19:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 24.02.2013 at 19:41

I am sure he isn't because TSOP is Death´s worse album by far and also Symbolic at least still had a semblance of death metal on it whereas TSOP is devoid of any death metal whatsoever
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.02.2013 - 19:52
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.02.2013 at 19:44

Written by Guest on 24.02.2013 at 19:41

I am sure he isn't because TSOP is Death´s worse album by far and also Symbolic at least still had a semblance of death metal on it whereas TSOP is devoid of any death metal whatsoever

Death metal =/= good music
Most of the time at least. Such is the case with Symbolic.

Hits total: 96442 | This month: 338