Engineered by Flemming Rasmussen
Recorded, Sept.-Dec. 1985 at Sweet Silence Studios, Copenhagen, Denmark
Mixed by Michael Wagener at Amigo Studios, North Hollywood, CA
Assistant mixing engineer: Mark Wilzcak
Mastered by George Marino at Sterling Sound

All lyrics by Hetfield. All arrangements by Hetfield/Ulrich
Cover concept: Metallica and Peter Mensch
Cover illustration: Don Brautigam
Back cover photos: Cliff - Rich Likong / Kirk - Ross Halfin / Lars - Rob Ellis / James - Ross Halfin

Guest review by
Iced Iñigo
Rating:
A classic between classics and the top of Metallica like a band. The album that made history, the cd of the cds, the best album of the best band. The album that any person who wants to know what is that world called Metal music needs to have, and listen to.

From the intro of "Battery" to the last guitar riff of "Damage Inc." the cd is just perfect, incredible and all the adjectives you want. In this album Metallica composed the song of songs: "Master of Puppets", astonishing. 8 minutes 38 seconds of pure Metal. The virtuosity on composing of Metallica appears clearly in that song. In Master of Puppets some songs are really dark and paranoid like "The Thing that should not Be". A ballad is also included, which is called "Welcome Home " and Metallica still includes in this album an instrumental track: "Orion"

Read more ››
published 22.09.2003 | Comments (125)

Guest review by
Motoroverkill
Rating:
Master of Puppets is a master class in structuring an album, The tracks and the way they're ordered is near perfection. A landmark album. Master Of Puppets is a timeless classic, A hybrid, Which features the best characteristics of many different kinds of metal. Many people consider it one of the greatest albums of all time and for good reason.

Read more ››
published 25.01.2010 | Comments (23)

Guest review by
Cal Wolvington
Rating:
I know I am in the minority here, but I don't care. Coffee is not as bad for you as everyone says it is, ten million Coldplay fans are wrong and Master Of Puppets is not Metallica's best album. This album is considered to be a classic and it is a great effort, but it is no Ride The Lightning. Master Of Puppets may have become more popular than Metallica's first two albums and it may be every critic's darling but that alone does not make it a better album or the greatest thrash record of all time. What matters is the music itself and therein lies my problem with considering this album a mind blowing masterpiece, which it is not.

Read more ››
published 06.06.2012 | Comments (67)

Found in 240 lists
Top lists

Comments page 4 / 7

Comments: 187   Visited by: 4010 users
06.05.2012 - 18:23
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by @gent_-_orange on 06.05.2012 at 17:55

Where do you even start with that comment?

Simple, you don't
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

31.05.2012 - 21:47
neiluria

MASTER OF PUPPETS, This is the key to eternal enjoyment! The best album ever!
24.06.2012 - 04:04
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Written by HELL BENT FOR JU on 06.05.2012 at 00:41

Ignore the bandname because the "Metallica- Master Of Puppets" is a punk album!
Sorry Metallica fans for this bad news! Maybe you are punk lovers. Hahaha!
The trash metal definition can't convince me because imo this album is about 70 percent punk mix with- maybe-
some Venom-Black Metal/Welcome To Hell album and other influences with a louder and dry sound.
Anyway the trash metal has a significant punk influence.
And the metal music is blues based .Read Glenn Tipton's opinion !
Poor MOP lovers hahaha!

I am your biggest fan.
03.08.2012 - 07:04
Rating: 10
RokBoks

I'm not gonna knock one of the biggest thrash bands of the 80's because i'd be talkin out of my ass. This album really is amazing in several aspects. The way the tracks are laid out is perfect, the sound and atmosphere of the album just ooze badassery, and the songs themselves are all classics. It might seem out of date in todays day and age but that doesn't make it any lesser of a masterpiece.
/5
30.09.2012 - 09:12
Rating: 9
Egigantea

The trash metal definition can't convince me because imo this album is about 70 percent punk mix with- maybe-
some Venom-Black Metal/Welcome To Hell album and other influences with a louder and dry sound.
Poor MOP lovers hahaha!

Poor Trolling, what you're doing is the equivalent of someone throwing rocks at a tank, it just won't do any damage.
07.10.2012 - 07:09
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Written by Egigantea on 30.09.2012 at 09:12

Poor MOP lovers hahaha!

Poor Trolling, what you're doing is the equivalent of someone throwing rocks at a tank, it just won't do any damage.

And still, he rated Ride the Lightning with an 7.

TRASH METUL RULEZ!
11.10.2012 - 04:25
LordHypnos
Account deleted
My favorite Metallica album! No fillers at all!
Although this is not the "Best metal album of all time", it's one hell of an album!

Best songs:
1. Disposable Heroes
2. Damage, Inc.
3. Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
11.11.2012 - 17:06
Rating: 8
Xenomorph1001

Most overrated metal album of all time. But not bad.
13.11.2012 - 10:41
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Even though I'm not a huge thrash metal fan, I have to admit, this album is pretty damn awesome, and one of the first to get me into metal music in the first place. RIP Cliff, you will always be the band member I have the most respect for.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
14.01.2013 - 19:33
master 666
King of Arizona
Cliff" Burton why you go. James Hetfield -Kirk Hammett -Lars Ulrich- fuck all of them
26.01.2013 - 13:30
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Needlework the way, never you betray
life of death becoming clearer
Pain monopoly, ritual misery
chop your breakfast on a mirror

This band used to write some of the best lyrics conceived in metal. It's astonishing to me how this band has decayed through the years to the point of crapping out abominations like Saint Anger and Lulu. Thankfully Death Magnetic was a decent album.
27.01.2013 - 07:04
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by Valentin B on 26.01.2013 at 13:30

Needlework the way, never you betray
life of death becoming clearer
Pain monopoly, ritual misery
chop your breakfast on a mirror

This band used to write some of the best lyrics conceived in metal. It's astonishing to me how this band has decayed through the years to the point of crapping out abominations like Saint Anger and Lulu. Thankfully Death Magnetic was a decent album.

Yup, I'm with you. Unlike some other people, I thought that Death Magnetic was actually a pretty decent comeback. Hopefully whatever they do next will continue what they had with that, and Lulu will have no influence on the future of their music.
----
26.02.2013 - 22:27
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
It use to be my fav album from band, but seems not anymore, I like prev 2 better than this , ok Wellcome Home Sanitarium will always be my fav song from this band,. but somehow this dont work to me so emotionaly like it worked some 5-8 years ago .... so It is not my fav band album anymore
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
12.04.2013 - 20:04
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by Bad English on 26.02.2013 at 22:27

It use to be my fav album from band, but seems not anymore, I like prev 2 better than this , ok Wellcome Home Sanitarium will always be my fav song from this band,. but somehow this dont work to me so emotionaly like it worked some 5-8 years ago .... so It is not my fav band album anymore

So you're still gonna keep this one a 10 and Ride the Lightning and Kill 'em All are going to stay at a 9, even though you like those other two better?
----
12.04.2013 - 20:07
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Jaeryd on 12.04.2013 at 20:04

So you're still gonna keep this one a 10 and Ride the Lightning and Kill 'em All are going to stay at a 9, even though you like those other two better?

that's total K7 logic, for you there. He called an Iron Maiden perfect yet gave it a 7 and another by them had some shitty songs on it yet rated it 10
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.04.2013 - 21:00
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Jaeryd on 12.04.2013 at 20:04

Written by Bad English on 26.02.2013 at 22:27

I vote about this album maybe 4-5 years ago

I post my post some montrhs ago
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
12.04.2013 - 21:08
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Whoah ! how many review on one album ! :O
13.04.2013 - 01:30
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Guest on 12.04.2013 at 21:08

Whoah ! how many review on one album ! :O

I suppose the reason for this is that it's one of the most influential and popular metal albums of all time. For anyone who wasn't around in the mid-80s, it's hard to convey to them how influential this album was.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
24.04.2013 - 01:03
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
I still think that after the first two absolutely stunning tracks, the album kinda gets a little bit dull. Ride the Lightning was far more enjoyable; there's an album that's good front to back, with not a dull moment in between. I don't understand how everyone thinks that this is the best Metallica album when RtL is far superior.
----
24.04.2013 - 05:46
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Jaeryd on 24.04.2013 at 01:03

I still think that after the first two absolutely stunning tracks, the album kinda gets a little bit dull. Ride the Lightning was far more enjoyable; there's an album that's good front to back, with not a dull moment in between. I don't understand how everyone thinks that this is the best Metallica album when RtL is far superior.

We'll have to agree to disagree because I think "Trapped Under Ice" is one of the weakest Metallica tracks from the first four albums. That said, I do prefer RtL to Puppets, but both are wonderful albums.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
02.06.2013 - 17:14
MetalAce
The Eternal
If we talk about thrash metal, metallica shown thrash is all about! but something true, i like those first two albums more.those two are real thrash.awo0ouh! MASTER OF PUPPETS! YEAH!
24.07.2013 - 07:32
ArminEnayat

I Love this Album Because it is so heavy and and it is so hard to imagine that which young people like them could ever create such a super HEAVY stuff!
----
Metal up you a**!
23.04.2014 - 23:05
Toxik

My favourite album. James voice is perfect, Cliff bass is perfect, Solos are perfect, riff's are perfect
21.06.2014 - 18:17
Rating: 6
taset9

PPL this album is not heavy my grandma can listen this. This is lullaby for me. BTW Metallica sold ton of shit record and made metal more mainstream, I would accused them for defiling the pure metal.
21.06.2014 - 18:24
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by taset9 on 21.06.2014 at 18:17
PPL this album is not heavy my grandma can listen this. This is lullaby for me. BTW Metallica sold ton of shit record and made metal more mainstream, I would accused them for defiling the pure metal.

I agree. This is false metal for the poseurs who are not real fans of true metal. Metallica are the biggest sellouts of all-time, the only reason people like them is because they disguise their pop music with distorted guitars. Lars Ulrich can't even keep a simple rhythm and James Hetfield doesn't even growl (wtf?!). 1/10
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
21.06.2014 - 18:48
mz

^ Yeah. Metallica did kill the whole metal thing with this album. It is a shame for the metal world.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
21.06.2014 - 19:04
Ilham
Giant robot
^ And have you seen the triangle formed by the crosses? I say the Illuminati are behind all this.
21.06.2014 - 19:47
Lit.
Account deleted
^My grandmother also listens to this album.

Then again, she also listens to Opeth.
21.06.2014 - 21:07
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos

I would accused them for defiling the pure metal.

Sounds criminal of them heh?

PPL this album is not heavy my grandma can listen this.

You totally convinced me. I'm not gonna listen to this
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
17.08.2014 - 10:59
Rating: 7
ke ke

Why some people love "Master of puppets"? cause it's old.

Hits total: 103178 | This month: 253