04. Black Rose Immortal
05. To Bid You Farewell
06. Eternal Soul Torture [2000 reissue bonus]

Top 20 albums of 1996: 5
Top 200 albums of all time: 122
Featured in "Getting Into: Opeth"

Additional info
Recorded at Unisound Recordings
Produced by Opeth and overseen by Dan Swanö.
Engineered by Dan Swanö.
Mastered at Cutting Room by Peter In De Betou and Opeth.
Cover photos by Tuija Lindström, booklet photos by Lennart Kaltea.
Layout by Timo Ketola.
Music by Mikael Åkerfeldt and Peter Lindgren.
All lyrics by Mikael Åkerfeldt (except "Eternal Soul Torture" written by David Isberg).
The first edition comes with a sticker on the jewel case.

"Eternal Soul Torture" is a demo that was recorded in 1992 and includes some sections that were reused in the studio track "Advent" as well as "In Mist She Was Standing" off of the previous album Orchid. Also re-released in limited tin box in 2003.

Guest review by
marco
Rating:
Before we get to this album, I would like to get an answer to a rather difficult question. Exactly what is Opeth's style ? The riffs are similar to progressive, but Opeth also has death vocals mixed with clean ones and acoustic guitars, plus on top of that the whole album has a dark atmosphere that surrounds the listener each time he/she listens to it. Here you will find everything, aggression and emotion, calm and anger, heaviness and mellowness, everything in one song, yet never sounding like different parts, but always in a flow.

Read more ››
published 18.09.2003 | Comments (23)

Guest review by
Talvi
Rating:
Actually, many people know Opeth. It is a love it or hate it band. You can love how the music flows without following typical structures. You won't expect those heavy riffs after the relaxing acoustic break. But you can hate how each song looks like some random riffs put together. Well, this review is from one who does love, at least, this album.

Read more ››
published 22.07.2006 | Comments (27)

Guest review by
ToMegaTherion
Rating:
Many questions have been asked of the style and coherence of Opeth's music. Yet despite the debate and questioning Opeth remain one of the world's leading metal bands. The first of a long line of excellent albums by Opeth was released following their debut Orchid the year before. Morningrise is often regarded as the defining album for the band with a diverse range of sounds, often confusing in composition but nevertheless contrived expertly. It is an epic album full of epic songs, with elements of Death Metal and acoustic blues to mix things up. The album progresses and weaves through a barrage of riffs, solos and an undying unprecedented patience and passion for the music expressed by Mikael Akerfeldt.

Read more ››
published 01.10.2009 | Comments (19)

Guest review by
andreosokin
Rating:
Morningrise is considered to be an iconic album for death metal fans, but the word iconic also applies to Opeth's history, because it certainly gave them that boost of popularity in the underground metal scene of the '90s. Just look at the album ratings on various music database sites and you'll see what impact it had on the listeners.

Read more ››
published 01.11.2016 | Comments (10)

Found in 81 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 68   Visited by: 1953 users
22.01.2010 - 20:32
Rating: 10
advent
Opeth best album for me...so dark ,epic and beautiful.
24.01.2010 - 14:26
Reza
Account deleted
Written by advent on 22.01.2010 at 20:32

It's very good but my favorite Opeth album is Still Life.
30.04.2010 - 21:47
Rating: 9
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
Does this album really need three reviews with an average of 9.6?
30.04.2010 - 22:04
Rating: 8
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
You are free to write reviews about other albums to equal the counts...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

01.05.2010 - 16:50
Roro
I agree with Marcus, this album has a uniqe music style that suit everyone taste.alot of emotions i feel when i hear it. "The Night And The Silent Water " is one of the epics.
and well done for choosing such sad, calm and beautiful album cover
25.06.2010 - 17:42
Real great album, but for example, Orchid and Damnation are WAY MUCH MORE better! My favourites form this one are (momently) To Bid You Farewell, Advent (and Eternal Soul Torture (In Mist She Was Standing's demo version) is so awesome too! ).
25.06.2010 - 17:51
LOL, Advent!
"Black Sabbath -Paranoid 1
Death - Symbolic 1; The Sound Of Perseverance 1"
It seems you don't like progressive death metal... and even metal genre at all!
Cause these albums are fathers of these thing...
15.09.2010 - 02:33
thatmetalhead666
Account deleted
I'd have to say i was thoroughly impressed by this album, and to bid you farewell has got to be one of the most amazing tracks i have heard by opeth.
loving it.
25.09.2010 - 04:18
advent
Written by Thrasher Hungary on 25.06.2010 at 17:51

LOL, Advent!
"Black Sabbath -Paranoid 1
Death - Symbolic 1; The Sound Of Perseverance 1"
It seems you don't like progressive death metal... and even metal genre at all!
Cause these albums are fathers of these thing...

yes it embarrassing for me, but this was in tha phase where i was a blind fanboy only to Opeth, it is fixed now .
12.10.2010 - 09:01
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
Written by Ellrohir on 30.04.2010 at 22:04

You are free to write reviews about other albums to equal the counts...

Maybe I'll write a review for every Opeth album and give it a 1, just as a reason for every person who likes Opeth to bitch and every person who hates them to praise me.
12.10.2010 - 10:31
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Well there is already 2.5 review of Blind Guardian, so if you are ready to be mocked, feel free to realize your plan
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

24.01.2011 - 23:37
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
My favorite album from Opeth too. It has that certain spark about it that all bands seem to loose once they become more known. You know, that feeling of: we're not sure this will sell, but we'll die if we don't do it. Awesome melodies, riffs and vocals throughout the album. It might not be called Ghost Reveries, but it's a haunting masterpiece.
26.09.2011 - 21:27
Kenos
Account deleted
THIS is their best. Those riffs (and the ones from "Orchid" too, even if they're slightly more disjointed) and those haunting melodies could be matched neither by Opeth themselves... Sure, the following albums are way better produced and more popular as well, but I cannot think of a better "opethian" album than "Morningrise".
20.11.2011 - 01:41
Regolith
The production and unispired drumming are my two complaints. Other than that I love this album. As you listen you can definately hear how they were still developing their sound - a few confused moments - but it barely marres the outcome. 'The Night and the Silent Water' is amazing. The acoustic passages made me, a drummer, want to pick up a guitar and learn (which I did, and I now play guitar).

Opeth, if you're reading this, I ask of you: Please do a re-make of 'The Night and the Silent Water'. I would love to hear that song from a more mature Opeth and cleaner production. I don't just mean live (if indeed you've decided you'll play it live) but in a studio setting. Idea! Re-Morningrise! -Like Meshuggah did Re-Nothing. What do you think? Is anybody with me?
20.11.2011 - 03:02
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Opeth going back 15 years to re-do a couple songs for you? Ya okay.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
23.11.2011 - 20:16
Regolith
Written by Guest on 20.11.2011 at 01:48

^ Totally not with you. No reason to touch this creation at all. Especially not now when Opeth has turned into a boring, quite shallow band with their latest album, "Heritage".

Ouch, man. Ouch. Hey, I'm just as sore about Heritage as most people, but it doesn't mean they've gotten boring or shallow. If anything try to appreciate the fact that they didn't over-do it like many bands tend to do after the money and success goes to their heads (*cough* Dream Theater!! - and I love DT). At least MA had the guts to do what was in his heart to do instead of following money or only writting what he thinks people want to hear.

At any rate, I respect your position to not touch it. My point is to do what they couldn't do back then because of the lower tech recording equipment, etc. I'd just like to hear a great song with better sound. Then again some things are better left in their original form.

Thanks for your input. - Matt
23.11.2011 - 20:28
Regolith
Written by Troy Killjoy on 20.11.2011 at 03:02

Opeth going back 15 years to re-do a couple songs for you? Ya okay.

Ya, just for me... C'mon, man. No need for the sarcasm. The very point of my post was to see if anyone else wanted the same thing (thus making it into a multiple-person request). If ya don't, cool.
02.01.2012 - 19:13
musicalkaratekid
Probably my favourite opeth album of the 90's...so beautiful and epic with every song. The only thing i could say is that 'Nectar' is slightly weak compared to the other four songs, but even then its a brilliant song in its own way.
02.01.2012 - 19:49
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by musicalkaratekid on 02.01.2012 at 19:13

Probably my favourite opeth album of the 90's...so beautiful and epic with every song. The only thing i could say is that 'Nectar' is slightly weak compared to the other four songs, but even then its a brilliant song in its own way.

Tastes differ a lot Nectar is one of my absolute favorite Opeth track and to me the best of this album. Mainly because of the 2.10 moment when Mikael begins to sing in quite a desperate tone, specially in 3.55 with that final scream "...and I fall inside!" with the solo. The ending is pretty boss too.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
02.01.2012 - 20:15
musicalkaratekid
Written by X-Ray Rod on 02.01.2012 at 19:49

Written by musicalkaratekid on 02.01.2012 at 19:13

Tastes differ a lot Nectar is one of my absolute favorite Opeth track and to me the best of this album. Mainly because of the 2.10 moment when Mikael begins to sing in quite a desperate tone, specially in 3.55 with that final scream "...and I fall inside!" with the solo. The ending is pretty boss too.

I think the ending to 'Nectar' is much more effective than the intro-Its a brilliant song, however being directly in the middle of the tracklist, suffers being overshadowed by 'The night and the silent water' and 'Black rose immortal'. Like i say, every song has its own part.
01.03.2012 - 20:55
Pelagial
Very good and dark
10.06.2012 - 01:18
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
A much more solidified version of their already highly impressive debut. Truly captivating
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
19.09.2012 - 21:00
Mornie Utulie
Great album - i think the best album I have ever heard.
12.11.2012 - 21:08
Erik M.
Written by Regolith on 23.11.2011 at 20:16

I'm just as sore about Heritage as most people, but it doesn't mean they've gotten boring or shallow.

Actually, they did become quite boring and shallow with Heritage. It's obviously an opinion, but the fact remains that musically Heritage is far less complex and more easy-accessible (catchy and simple) in comparison to their previous releases.

Morningrise is a masterpiece though. It's probably the only Opeth album on which every track is utterly brilliant.
14.11.2012 - 22:05
Erik M.
Written by Marcus on 30.04.2010 at 21:47

Does this album really need three reviews with an average of 9.6?

I bet you haven't visited the page of Moonspell's album Memorial?
05.12.2012 - 18:18
Vasil de Shumen
Darkly , Fascinating and Beautiful ...
28.12.2013 - 18:39
mordecai
Account deleted
One of my favourite albums of all time!
13.03.2014 - 18:18
This and their first album are my favourite Opeth albums. Blackwater Park is okay,but not any near of those two...
29.03.2014 - 21:01
telephonebear
Account deleted
Written by advent on 22.01.2010 at 20:32

my favourite as well. i started like most people with bwp, but having listened to more of their stuff now i think morningrise is where their best songs are. as for the controversial black rose immortal, thats probably my least favourite track on the album (but the scream at the end over that ominous music is perfect)
11.04.2014 - 10:46
mz
Written by deadone on 11.04.2014 at 08:52

Never understood appeal behind this one.

How is that even possible? ;p
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.

Hits total: 38072 | This month: 110