08. Deadlands
09. Chasing Shadows
10. No Need To Cry
11. One Life [Japanese bonus]
12. Wannabees [7" bonus]
13. To The Metal [demo] [7" bonus]
+ DVD: The Making Of To The Metal [limited edition bonus]

Additional info
Recorded, mixed and mastered between May and December 2009 by Dirk Schlächter & Kai Hansen at High Gain Studios, Hamburg.
Produced by the Spirit of Freedom.
Cover painting by Herve Monjeaud.
Artworx and booklett design by Alexander Mertsch for glcons.
Photos by Axel Jusseit.

Staff review by
Baz Anderson
Rating:
Almost as if the band as a whole sustained some form of brain damage from some tragic and unforeseeable accident, Gamma Ray have not been themselves since 2001's great No World Order. The last two albums saw the band as mere shadows of themselves blatantly and obviously ripping off other bands, none more than Judas Priest.

Read more ››
published 04.02.2010 | Comments (46)

Found in 17 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 34   Visited by: 647 users
25.01.2010 - 19:27
Baz Anderson

Written by Irritable Ted on 25.01.2010 at 12:57

From what I have heard so far on Youtube , this is their strongest stuff since Somewhere.

There is some variety in it, some sounds like Freedom Call, some like Judas Priest. Even Kiske is there.

Impressed.

Since "No World Order" for me, that is still really a great album for me.
26.01.2010 - 20:45
Valdyr Nordvindr
Account deleted
Written by Baz Anderson on 25.01.2010 at 19:27

Written by Irritable Ted on 25.01.2010 at 12:57

From what I have heard so far on Youtube , this is their strongest stuff since Somewhere.

There is some variety in it, some sounds like Freedom Call, some like Judas Priest. Even Kiske is there.

Impressed.

Since "No World Order" for me, that is still really a great album for me.

Agreed, No World Order is still one of my favorites actually. But To The Metal is definitely their strongest effort since around that time, certainly stronger than Majestic and Land Of The Free II. I liked Majestic a lot, but Land of the Free II just didn't do it for me. Glad to have more good Gamma Ray =D
27.01.2010 - 18:52
Rating: 6
Tornado Of Souls

I agree i think this sounds very strong compared to the last few releases. I'm already very impressed.
29.01.2010 - 02:18
Rating: 7
Mountain King
K i K o
I should check it out then...
29.01.2010 - 21:46
Rating: 5
Snbn

03. Mother Angel
04. No Need To Cry
05. Empathy
06. To The Metal

Those songs are so piece of crap !!!! especially To the Metal . Why on earth this is title track??? i dont get it. I have listened album about 20times and those songs are good ..... But all other are so awesome like All you need to Know (Feat Michael Kiske) this songs is so fucking brilliant !!!! Hope they will play this on next tour.
30.01.2010 - 02:41
Rating: 9
AL3X Êxplosion

This is a pretty good album i was suprised
30.01.2010 - 09:56
Rating: 5
Nicko's Nose

Another generic and unoriginal album.
30.01.2010 - 20:04
Rating: 8
Lawre

Great album, can't stop listening to it. It beats Land of the Free II by far!
31.01.2010 - 13:34
Galluskas

Could someone tell me what the hell is Breaking Away? On the CD it's Chasing Shadows.
01.02.2010 - 20:10
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Snbn on 29.01.2010 at 21:46

03. Mother Angel
04. No Need To Cry
05. Empathy
06. To The Metal

Those songs are so piece of crap !!!! especially To the Metal . Why on earth this is title track??? i dont get it. I have listened album about 20times and those songs are good ..... But all other are so awesome like All you need to Know (Feat Michael Kiske) this songs is so fucking brilliant !!!! Hope they will play this on next tour.

ya, agreed..i dont know why they would put all that shit back to back...like, "we'll just take a break from our awesome music to offer this weird ass shit"......then they get back to the ass kicking, but I just cant recover from 4 bad songs in a row...wtf gamma ray???!!
01.02.2010 - 21:57
Rating: 6
Lord Darkness

I'm not very happy about the direction that the power metal is taking, blending these heavy guitars and blast beats whenever possible... another band has disapointed me and gone for this new millenium cliché.

I'd say that 3 songs are really good, 2 songs are ok, the rest had potential and were trashed by those arrangements. I'd even classify "All You Need to Know" as the later one, unfortunatly.
----
I can see what you see not. Vision milky then eyes rot.
When you turn they will be gone, whispering their hidden song.
Then you see what cannot be, shadows move where light should be.
Out of darkness, out of mind, cast down into the Halls of the Blind.
03.02.2010 - 11:41
Zio

Hey! The first song is titled Rise or Black Diamond (Stratovarius)?! Oo
----
Knowing is not enough we must apply. Willing is not enough we must do. ~
04.02.2010 - 11:30
roger73

Written by Zio on 03.02.2010 at 11:41

Hey! The first song is titled Rise or Black Diamond (Stratovarius)?! Oo

The second song at Visions is titled Black Daimond or Future World?

Hansen continue with tracks that he wrote for Helloween. Is't ok. And Statovarius was long time only copy of Helloween. What is also ok.

Yes, To The Metal is very closely to Metal Gods Deadlands to Painkller and maybe even Run to the Hills. And what? Lot of today's music is about making classic songs better
06.02.2010 - 00:30
JÄY
Metal slave
Alright fuck..i caved....i changed the order of the songs....
first off, i ditched to the metal
01 - rise
02 - deadlands
03 - mother angel
04 - time to live
05 - empathy
06 - all you need to know
07 - shine forever
08 - no need to cry
09 - chasing shadows

now, its better
07.02.2010 - 15:59
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
The cover art is the most worth part of this
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

11.02.2010 - 00:53
Donnie Darko

Great album! i love every song of it. Epic soo Epic
14.02.2010 - 15:41
Farbsryche

Since No World Order, Gamma Ray have really struggled, as is plain for all to see with To The Metal. It has it's moments of high, but also a lot of lows, the title track makes me cringe. With LOTF II, so much was ripped from Iron Maiden, with a bit of Accept thrown in. To The Metal has ripped off Judas Priest, and you can still hear some Accept influence in it as well.
Gamma Ray need to sit in a room with a copy of No World Order, and play it continuously until they find that missing formula that is the Gamma Ray signature, and then they can leave and produce a world class album again!
17.02.2010 - 23:48
Dominus
The Shooter
Best Gamma Ray album since Somewhere Out In Space for me
22.02.2010 - 18:11
MeTalRea|istiK

Fastolphbolger - 17.02.2010 at 23:48 Quote
Rating: 9 Best Gamma Ray album since Somewhere Out In Space for me

agree!!!
23.02.2010 - 00:09
Lord_Regnier

Written by Lord Darkness on 01.02.2010 at 21:57

I'm not very happy about the direction that the power metal is taking, blending these heavy guitars and blast beats whenever possible... another band has disapointed me and gone for this new millenium cliché.

WTF are you talking about?

There's never a single blast beat in Gamma Ray. Never has been.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
23.02.2010 - 00:13
Lord_Regnier

Written by Nicko's Nose on 30.01.2010 at 09:56

Another generic and unoriginal album.

Agreed. All Gamma Ray's albums after "Powerplant" have this flaw. However, I liked all of them until now but I don't like "To The Metal". It has good moments but it also has its fair part of crap.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
27.02.2010 - 18:24
paulo figueiredo
Account deleted
Average but enjoyable album.
09.04.2010 - 11:36
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
The song with Kiske is a fantastic piece of music.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
01.05.2010 - 20:13
BORT

Empathy is fucking awesome haters. Its so different
01.05.2010 - 20:19
BORT

Oh yeah the song "All you need to know" has the same melody as "Warheart" by Children of Bodem. But I'm not going to complain because its a good borrow of melody.
01.05.2010 - 21:42
Scornful Curse

I think this album is rather average. I only liked Empathy and Deadlands. Even Majestic was way better than this.
08.05.2010 - 04:37
Epyon

The album is simply awesome, but the order of the songs do not help... i have bought the other version, i mean, with other order 01. empathy .... 10. no need to cry; the expercience was sooo diferent that it seem like other album. i recomend it
by the way, the so critiziced songs like empathy, no need to cry and mother angel are soooo great at live!!
08.07.2010 - 03:58
Anibx

This is going to sound like blasfemy but I kind of like To the Metal (the song). I almost can imagine being in the concert with Dio's sign of the devil in the air singing "Hailllllll to the metal, haillllllllll"
I don't know, it's not that bad.
09.07.2010 - 14:48
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Farbsryche on 14.02.2010 at 15:41

Since No World Order, Gamma Ray have really struggled, as is plain for all to see with To The Metal.

I wouldnt really agree with that... I thought Majestic was a really good album. LOTF II though, was a real disappointment to me, and apart from 2 or 3 great songs was totally average. And definitely Gamma Ray's worst album IMO. 'To The Metal' is defintely an improvement over LOTF II, but still isnt in the same league as their best albums. Most of the album isnt bad, its just incredibly uninspired. The title track being the best example of that. Songs like 'Empathy', 'Shine Forever', 'Rise', and 'Deadlands' are really great Gamma Ray songs, and give me hope that the next album may be the return to classic album form that Im waiting for. xD
10.05.2011 - 03:58
John Shock

Written by JÄY on 06.02.2010 at 00:30

Alright fuck..i caved....i changed the order of the songs....
first off, i ditched to the metal
01 - rise
02 - deadlands
03 - mother angel
04 - time to live
05 - empathy
06 - all you need to know
07 - shine forever
08 - no need to cry
09 - chasing shadows

now, its better

You're may be right about the order of the track list! In some versions of the album the order of the tracklist is exactly what is here! but you're missing one song, the main song, the album titled song "To The Metal"!

Hits total: 18114 | This month: 20