08. The Talisman
09. The Man Who Would Be King
10. When The Wild Wind Blows

Featured in "Getting Into: Iron Maiden"

Additional info
Produced by Kevin Shirley.
Co-produced by Steve Harris.
Mixed by Kevin 'Caveman' Shirley.
Recorded at Compass Point Studios, Nassau, Bahamas.
Engineer: Jared Kvitka.
Studio Technician: Terry Manning.
Additional recording and mix at The Cave, Malibu, CA.
Studio Technician: Brent Spear.
Assistant: James McCullagh.
SSL Duality Technician: Philip Scholes.
Mastered by Bob Ludwig at Gateway Mastering, Portland, ME.

Art Direction & Design by Peacock (Stuart Crouch, Andrew Yap, Anthony Dry, Rob Wallis).
Cover Illustration, working drawings and sketches by Melvyn Grant.
Photograph by John McMurtrie.
Background images pages 4/5 and 8/9 by Darkside Animations, background image pages 10/11 by Hangman.

Staff review by
Daniell
Rating:
Iron Maiden have had ups and downs, but they consistently stuck to their unique style. 2006's A Matter of Life and Death saw a serious departure from that style towards a darker, more progressive sound - it was only a partial success. Unfortunately, Steve Harris and Co. felt encouraged, and decided to go further in their departures. The first 4 songs on The Final Frontier rank among the worst this band has ever committed and most of the time sound nothing like the Iron Maiden everyone knows. Departure from style my ass. If they wanted to depart again, the previous album was the way to do it.

Read more ››
published 16.08.2010 | Comments (255)

Guest review by
Death To Posers
Rating:
It seems like it's become trendy to dislike any music that becomes even somewhat mainstream. I am by no means bitter; I'm guilty of this prejudice quite often. So, when I saw the album votes go the way they did for The Final Frontier I wasn't shocked. But, in all honesty, I thought this album was pretty hard! This is one of Maiden's most successful albums to date and for a damn good reason. While it does sound different from anything they've done before, that doesn't make it worse. Do you really want three albums that sound exactly like Brave New World?

Read more ››
published 18.01.2011 | Comments (46)

Guest review by
omne metallum
Rating:
An album that skirts the title of worst album in Iron Maiden discography by fortune of existing in a world where Dance of Death exists, The Final Frontier is a well-intentioned album that seems stuck on autopilot for the most of its running time, bravely going where the band had not gone before... mediocrity. If you want a quick and concise description of this album, think "The Angel And The Gambler" in seven new guises!

Read more ››
published 15.04.2020 | Comments (2)

Found in 83 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 471   Visited by: 2533 users
25.01.2010 - 16:17
soadbyob
Account deleted
Probbaly the most anticipated album of the next decade (so far)
25.01.2010 - 17:32
Rating: 9
thewall30
Got that right! People been waiting like 4 or 5 years for this, I know I have...
----
25.01.2010 - 17:35
soadbyob
Account deleted
When the most popular metal band in the world have a new album coming up, youre damn right every metalhead goes fuckin crazy!
25.01.2010 - 23:19
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
Im dreaming about this album everyday:wall:
25.01.2010 - 23:24
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
Written by Guest on 25.01.2010 at 17:35

When the most popular metal band in the world have a new album coming up, youre damn right every metalhead goes fuckin crazy!

Nicely said !
26.01.2010 - 13:32
Rating: 6
Pap
I hope this time they will manage to give us a really good album and overpass the mediocrity - for Iron maiden 's level- of their latest releases
02.02.2010 - 10:23
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by Powerslavex on 25.01.2010 at 23:24

Nicely said !

I guess perhaps I'm not a metalhead after all...After A Matter Of Staying Awake I really couldn't give two shits what this band puts out anymore.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
04.03.2010 - 23:43
Rating: 8
ChrisWinther
Written by thewall30 on 25.01.2010 at 17:32

Got that right! People been waiting like 4 or 5 years for this, I know I have...

Correct. But that's the same with the Wintersun album:P
05.03.2010 - 00:58
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
How you even dare to mention Wintersun here
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

05.03.2010 - 02:25
Lord_Regnier
Written by Doc G. on 02.02.2010 at 10:23

Nicely said !

I guess perhaps I'm not a metalhead after all...After A Matter Of Staying Awake I really couldn't give two shits what this band puts out anymore.

I don't give a shit at what this band can release since two decades. Imo, every album they released after SSOASS is boring as hell. It's so inferior and pathetic compared to their 80s stuff. This band carries on only by name and because of its past.

And this comment comes from a guy who's been a huge Maiden fan during the 80s. Sorry, but they sucked for the entire 90s and 00s.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
05.03.2010 - 02:29
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by Lord_Regnier on 05.03.2010 at 02:25

Written by Doc G. on 02.02.2010 at 10:23

Nicely said !

I don't give a shit at what this band can release since two decades. Imo, every album they released after SSOASS is boring as hell and many of them suck balls. It's so inferior and pathetic compared to their 80s stuff. This band carries on only by name and because of its past.

With the exception of Fear Of The Dark, I'll agree full-heartedly. AMOLAD just seemed like the last straw to me - which is even more disappointing considering how awesome the cover artwork is.
----
- George Carlin
05.03.2010 - 02:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Btw since when are Iron Maiden the most popular metal band? They haven't been that for quite some time now both attendance wise at gigs or album sales wise.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.03.2010 - 02:32
Lord_Regnier
Written by Doc G. on 05.03.2010 at 02:29

With the exception of Fear Of The Dark, I'll agree full-heartedly. AMOLAD just seemed like the last straw to me - which is even more disappointing considering how awesome the cover artwork is.

"Fear Of The Dark" is not as awful as many other Maiden albums, indeed. Problem I always had with it is it's half-good half-sucky. It has a few great songs, a few average ones, and more or less half the songs suck.
----
05.03.2010 - 02:37
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by Lord_Regnier on 05.03.2010 at 02:32

"Fear Of The Dark" is not as awful as many other Maiden albums, indeed. Problem I always had with it is it's half-good half-sucky. It has a few great songs, a few average ones, and more or less half the songs suck.

True, but for me (and I may get letter-bombed for saying this), I find even some of Iron Maiden's most celebrated albums to be that way. Luckily the good songs make it worth it. AMOLAD had 2 slightly enjoyable, yet entirely forgettable songs.
----
- George Carlin
05.03.2010 - 02:59
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Doc G. on 05.03.2010 at 02:37

Written by Lord_Regnier on 05.03.2010 at 02:32

True, but for me (and I may get letter-bombed for saying this), I find even some of Iron Maiden's most celebrated albums to be that way. Luckily the good songs make it worth it.

Number Of The Beast, Piece Of Mind, Powerslave, Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son all being case in point. And I am not even going to go into the Somewhere In Time shittiness on this one. That one only had three songs which were good at most and the rest was dire. For me Somewhere In Time is down there with Fear Of The Dark
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.03.2010 - 03:05
Lord_Regnier
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.03.2010 at 02:59

Number Of The Beast, Piece Of Mind, Powerslave, Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son all being case in point. And I am not even going to go into the Somewhere In Time shittiness on this one. That one only had three songs which were good at most and the rest was dire. For me Somewhere In Time is down there with Fear Of The Dark

I disagree here, Marcel.

TNOTB and POM both have weak songs but Powerslave and SSOASS have only very good songs, imo.
As for SIT, I think it's the greatest album Maiden have ever released.
----
05.03.2010 - 03:20
Ph0eNiX
Fire from Above
WEEEEEEEEE~HOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

I'm hoping this one is better than the last two... I Gotta good feeling on this one....
----
05.03.2010 - 03:22
Rating: 7
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Since when did the new album have a title?! lol Anyways, Im a massive Maiden fan, so of course Im looking forward to this!

As for the above arguement, I have to say I dont believe Maiden have EVER put out a truly bad album. "Fear Of The Dark" is the worst album they've done with Bruce, and even that contained a few good songs. The two Blaze Bayley albums were a bit dodgy also, but were rescued by having some amazing songs mixed in with the filler. All 3 of the comeback albums with Bruce have been very strong, IMO. Although "Dance Of Death" is the worst of the 3 as it has the most filler. As for their 80's material, its mostly of a very high standard, and I struggle to find fault with it. Other than maybe a couple of fillers on the first two albums, and the downright stupid "Quest For Fire" from "Piece Of Mind"! lol

Although I find NOTB, "Powerslave", "Somewhere In Time", and SSOASS to be pretty much flawless albums, my pick for best Maiden album is "Powerslave". That album is absolute perfection in the Maiden catalogue.
05.03.2010 - 13:47
Lord_Regnier
Written by Angelic Storm on 05.03.2010 at 03:22

As for the above arguement, I have to say I dont believe Maiden have EVER put out a truly bad album.

And what about "No Prayer For The Dying", "The X Factor" and "Virtual XI"?
They're all pure pathetic suckage. If Iron Maiden weren't printed on the cover, if they'd been released by some unknown band, no one would care for this crap.

"Fear Of The Dark" is the worst album they've done with Bruce, and even that contained a few good songs.

No. "No Prayer For The Dying" is, due to godawful production and Bruce's worst vocals ever.
A special mention to the atrocious garbage "Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter" is.

The two Blaze Bayley albums were a bit dodgy also, but were rescued by having some amazing songs mixed in with the filler.

Not a single song from the Blaze era is listenable, imo. Blaze sucked donkey balls and the music itself sucked major ass at that time. Both albums they made with Blaze are pure defiling of their legacy. Those abominations should never have been recorded. Garbage. Utter crap.

All 3 of the comeback albums with Bruce have been very strong, IMO. Although "Dance Of Death" is the worst of the 3 as it has the most filler.

They're much less bad the 90s stuff but the new albums with Bruce are quite boring and lack any kind of energy. They sound only like a commercial product released only for the sake of money. I see them only as a pretext to remind people that the band is still alive and play their old songs live on stage, no more. Bruce has lost much power in his voice and other problem is the songs have lots of weak parts (those I call the mock progressive parts) and they still make many songs with those boring soft intros they started to make on "The X Factor". I hate those whiny intros that often come back in the middle or end of the song.

As for their 80's material, its mostly of a very high standard, and I struggle to find fault with it. Other than maybe a couple of fillers on the first two albums, and the downright stupid "Quest For Fire" from "Piece Of Mind"! lol
Although I find NOTB, "Powerslave", "Somewhere In Time", and SSOASS to be pretty much flawless albums, my pick for best Maiden album is "Powerslave". That album is absolute perfection in the Maiden catalogue.

Indeed, their 80s albums don't have many flaws. Imo, only a few average songs here and there. And "Quest For Fire" is probably the first song that cames to my mind when I think of weak songs from their 80s stuff, so I guess we totally agree here.
"Powerslave", "Somewhere In Time" and "Seventh Son" are all flawless, imo. I have a sligth preference for SIT but, to be honest, I've never been able to decide which album I like the most between them.
----
05.03.2010 - 13:51
Baz Anderson
staff
Written by Lord_Regnier on 05.03.2010 at 03:05

As for SIT, I think it's the greatest album Maiden have ever released.

I agree. "Somewhere In Time" is my favourite album of theirs too... Marcel was probably in a bad mood the first time he heard it, hahaha.

Iron Maiden are clearly still the most popular metal band in the world.
05.03.2010 - 16:00
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Baz Anderson on 05.03.2010 at 13:51

Iron Maiden are clearly still the most popular metal band in the world.

Maybe when it comes down to blind fanboyism
But not sales wise and concert attendance wise.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.03.2010 - 16:05
Baz Anderson
staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.03.2010 at 16:00

I am far from an Iron Maiden "fanboy", really...

There's no need in splurting stuff out about sales and tickets without any proof. Defining "biggest" is a job in itself.
05.03.2010 - 16:10
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Baz Anderson on 05.03.2010 at 16:05

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.03.2010 at 16:00

I am far from an Iron Maiden "fanboy", really...

There's no need in splurting stuff out about sales and tickets without any proof. Defining "biggest" is a job in itself.

I wasn't saying you are.
But Metallica has been selling more tickets and albums for ages. but at least they get a backlash as well concerning their lacklustre releases wheeras Iron Maiden hardly ever does, in that sense IM are more popular.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.03.2010 - 16:11
Warman
Erotic Stains
I wouldn't call myself an Iron Maiden fanboy... I love Maiden to death, but my taste in their albums and songs are pretty different compared to the fanboys.

I can't imagine this album being bad, I just can't.
----
05.03.2010 - 18:14
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Lord_Regnier on 05.03.2010 at 13:47

They're all pure pathetic suckage. If Iron Maiden weren't printed on the cover, if they'd been released by some unknown band, no one would care for this crap.

i know it is pointless to discuss this, but i cant help myself not to react

i quite like "No Prayer For The Dying"...i dont have any serious problem with "The X Factor", i fact i even enjoy some songs...and it is true i havent heard "Virtual XI" yet, maybe i would be disappointed here

my most favorite IM album was and is SSOASS, currently followed by Powerslave and Somewhere In Time...but I have nothing against "the 2000s trilogy" as well, I was used to adore Dance Of Death in the past (it is true, that it was my first Maiden album, which should be its "advantage")...last album is great, when you let it affect you (i know at least couple of people, who hated it first, but after a year they changed opinion (and no, they arent any "stupid pose fanboys"))...the album i dont really like is Fear Of The Dark and i dont know "the dawns of their work" that great...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

05.03.2010 - 23:28
thewall30
Haha 2 people already have it?! lmao
----
05.03.2010 - 23:49
Darkside Momo
Retired
elite
Just to thrown my 2 cents in the best album / post 80's Maiden sucks discussion:
- SSOASS is my absolute fav Maiden album for sure... And Somewhere in Time probably a close second. Strangely enough, I'm not that mucha fan of Powerslave, I even think I prefer Piece Of Mind (but I agree Quest For Fire is OMG lame)
- No Prayers... is sub-par compared to their golden age, sure, but it IS a good album in its own right. many heavy metal band can't even dream to achieve an album like that. Fear of the dark is more of the same.
- Blaze Bailey era: I do like X Factor, even if it is pretty average at time. Virtual XI just should have stayed virtual and never exist for real.
- modern Bruce era: true, Bruce lots a bit of his power, nothing exceptionnal her, Rob Halford did too. And while some songs are good on these albums (including AMOLAD), it does not compare to their golden age material (kinda like No Prayers... in fact)
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
06.03.2010 - 04:22
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Lord_Regnier on 05.03.2010 at 13:47

I dont agree with that. If an unknown band released those albums, they'd probably be praised far more than they actually are. One of the main reasons those albums recieve so much criticism, is because they are by Maiden, and people are comparing them to their earlier material.

Quote:
No. "No Prayer For The Dying" is, due to godawful production and Bruce's worst vocals ever.
A special mention to the atrocious garbage "Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter" is.

Again, I totally disagree. The one aspect of No Prayer's production which really sucks, is the drum sound. Nicko sounds like he's hitting cardboard boxes! lol Im actually one of the very few Maiden fans who hold that album in very high esteem. I class it as the last of their great albums before they started declining through the rest of the 90's. As for Bruce's vocals, they are a LOT harsher than they were on previous albums. But I think this just went hand in hand with the album being much rawer, stripped down, and upfront than the previous albums with Bruce. I actually think his more clean style would not have fitted No Prayer's sound.

Quote:
Not a single song from the Blaze era is listenable, imo. Blaze sucked donkey balls and the music itself sucked major ass at that time. Both albums they made with Blaze are pure defiling of their legacy. Those abominations should never have been recorded. Garbage. Utter crap.

Well, I obviously dont agree with that. lol I think you're being a bit hard on Blaze, although I would agree he was the wrong choice to replace Bruce. He did his best, but his range was very poor. And this was especially evident when he tried to sing the Bruce era material live with Maiden. He just couldnt pull it off. Musically, I find both Blaze albums to be very hit and miss. "Fortunes Of War" is a strong contender for the worst Maiden song ever. At least IMO. "Quest For Fire" is the height of brilliance and excitement, compared to that one! Virtual XI suffered from having songs which were overlong, and repetitve. Especially ''Dont Look To The Eyes Of A Stranger" and "The Angel And The Gambler". I mean, was there any need to have Blaze sing "Dont you think Im a saviour, dont you think I could save you, dont you think I could save your life?" about a million times? lol However, I really like some of the Blaze era songs.

Quote:
They're much less bad the 90s stuff but the new albums with Bruce are quite boring and lack any kind of energy. They sound only like a commercial product released only for the sake of money. I see them only as a pretext to remind people that the band is still alive and play their old songs live on stage, no more. Bruce has lost much power in his voice and other problem is the songs have lots of weak parts (those I call the mock progressive parts) and they still make many songs with those boring soft intros they started to make on "The X Factor". I hate those whiny intros that often come back in the middle or end of the song.

I actually find ''Brave New World" and "A Matter Of Life And Death" to be very strong albums. The former is almost up there with their classic 80's stuff IMO. Even "Dance Of Death" had a fair few good moments, even though there was quite a bit of filler as well. As for ''boring soft intros that they started to make on The X Factor", I take it you mean like the one on "Fortunes Of War"? lol Nah, I dont find any of the comeback songs with Bruce to be anywhere near that dull and boring. When I seen that song played live, I almost fell asleep!

Quote:
Indeed, their 80s albums don't have many flaws. Imo, only a few average songs here and there. And "Quest For Fire" is probably the first song that cames to my mind when I think of weak songs from their 80s stuff, so I guess we totally agree here.
"Powerslave", "Somewhere In Time" and "Seventh Son" are all flawless, imo. I have a sligth preference for SIT but, to be honest, I've never been able to decide which album I like the most between them.

"Quest For Fire" is pretty abysmal, with only the comic relief of the lyrics being it's saving grace. In fact, if it wasn't for that one song, Id put "Piece Of Mind" up there with the previously mentioned flaweless 80's albums. (although it took me a LONG time to fall in love with "To Tame A Land" and to appreciate it! haha) There's a couple of fillers maybe on the first 2 albums as well, but aside from that, 80's Maiden was flawless. And on that, I think we do agree. lol "Somewhere In Time" is hideously underrated. The only song that I find less than awesome on that album is "Heaven Can Wait". I mean, it is a good song, but I think its more highly regarded than other far better songs on the album which are neglected. But yep, 80's Maiden is why Im such a huge fan of the band. Every single album was either flawless, or not far off it.
06.03.2010 - 04:51
Lord_Regnier
@Angelic Storm:

Your logic about NPFTD, "The X Factor" and "Virtual XI" is defendable, but I don't think those albums receive more criticism because they are from Maiden. I think they're overrated because "you can't say it sucks, it's from Maiden- saying it sucks is blasphemy".
And, again, they all suck balls, from my point of view.

I totally agree on the drum sound being horrible on NPFTD. It's almost as awful as St Anger on this aspect. I agree that Bruce's vocals fit the production of the album. Problem is I think they fit each other in the sense that both are atrocious.

"Fortunes Of War" is quite awful, indeed. And way too long.

Agreed on songs being way too long on "Virtual XI" and extremely repetitive.
Total lack of inspiration. The only point on which we disagree here is I think everything they did with Blaze is stinking garbage.

I find BNW quite dull. And I think many of their songs since Bruce's comeback have sleep-inducing parts.

I agree on the rest.

N.B. It doesn't matter to me if we agree or not (but we agree most of the time). It's always interesting to discuss with you and compare our respective point of view.
----
06.03.2010 - 11:21
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Lord_Regnier on 06.03.2010 at 04:51
N.B. It doesn't matter to me if we agree or not (but we agree most of the time). It's always interesting to discuss with you and compare our respective point of view.

Thanks!

I totally agree, and I feel the same way.

Hits total: 66543 | This month: 108