Metal Storm logo
J.R.R. Tolkien

Original post

Posted by Sekhmet, 02.08.2006 - 14:22
A discussion was going on in the "Now Reading" thread about Tolkien and his work and IMO the man also deserves his own thread
There's so much to discuss about him...

First, his books of course!! Considered as the father of the fantasy genre, he created a whole new mythic world, a connected body of tales, fictional histories, invented languages, and other literary essays about an imagined world called Arda, and Middle-earth, identified as an 'alternative' remote past of our own world. His work includes the famous Lord of the Rings trilogy, bit also the Silmarillion, the Hobbit, the Book of Lost Tales,... (for a detailed bibliography ask Wiki ). Let's discuss his writings

Then the adaptation by Peter Jackson. I personnaly loved the movies due to actors and special effects, but I think the story was messed up to adjust to every kind of public and I disliked it. In particular the big part played by Arwen and her romance with Aragorn was seriously getting on my nerves...

There are also serious discussions about Tolkien... Like this argument I had with a friend about Tolkien being a racist or not. I was bringing up that point: An undercurrent of the Lord of the Rings seemed to focus on racial purity. The elves were supposed to have the purest blood, followed by the Numenorians, followed by common men, and then down to Orcs. Remember the scandal when Aragorn married Arwen? She was seen as tainting her bloodlines by marrying a "mere" man. Remember the scandal when Faramir married Eowyn? He was said to be diluting the precious Numenorian blood lines. There were also frequent mentions to the "thinning" of the Numenorian blood lines.
Does this obsession with "my race is purer than yours" show that Tolkien was a racist who believed in racial superiority?
Well, the question was worth asking IMO (obviously since I asked it ), but I think he wasn't... Because despite the differences between "races", the relationships between Arwen and Aragorn (love between an elf and a man), or Legolas and Gimli (friendship between an elf and a dwarf, races so different), or Gandalf and the hobbits proves that he doesn't believe in racial purity. Feel free to discuss it too
10.02.2008 - 22:00
Varegan
Hamranakara
Written by Clintagräm on 10.02.2008 at 21:06

Written by Ellrohir on 10.02.2008 at 11:30

Written by Clintagräm on 10.02.2008 at 02:08

Just imagine trying to apply that type of writing to all of the events in The Silmarillion. Yeah, not happening.

so far it was applied to the story of Turin and Nienor, published as the book The Children Of Hurin very nice and epic story, but i must say, it is quite too sad for me and with no "happy end" my greatest wish is to re-make the story of Beren And Luthien in that way - imo the most beautiful and most glorious story from whole Tolkien's work beating even The Lord Of The Rings itself

Indeed, that would be very cool, but Tolkien is gone, and even though I'd love to read full blown stories from The Silmarillion I think it's best left unwritten, and kept in our minds.

Tolkien is gone and no writer will rise like him.I cant accept a book,(which is not written by Tolkein). but I always waiting for a role-playing game about this stories. but there is no games yet
----
Written by muthafucka on 08.07.2010 at 06:46

"METAL STORM" (LIGHTING STRIKES)
10.02.2008 - 22:21
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Varegan on 10.02.2008 at 22:00

Tolkien is gone and no writer will rise like him.I cant accept a book,(which is not written by Tolkein). but I always waiting for a role-playing game about this stories. but there is no games yet

yeah damn i'd like to be able to play a noldor soldier in the Beleriand Wars, or in the first War of the Ring... in the silmarillion there's just so many stuff to expand upon it's amazing
10.02.2008 - 22:58
Varegan
Hamranakara
is there any source for learning Sindarian grammar
----

11.02.2008 - 00:48
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
2 C.J.W.Wyatt : i dont agree man, Christopher Tolkien now knows the work of his father maybe better than JRRT himself...and his writing skills he already showed by compiling Silmarilion, Unfinished Tales (or how is named in original, i only translate our czech version name) and The Children Of Hurin...i will be really glad to read more by him...but it is true he is 83 already and who knows if he will ever write something more...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

11.02.2008 - 01:11
Varegan
Hamranakara
Written by Ellrohir on 11.02.2008 at 00:48

2 C.J.W.Wyatt : i dont agree man, Christopher Tolkien now knows the work of his father maybe better than JRRT himself...and his writing skills he already showed by compiling Silmarilion, Unfinished Tales (or how is named in original, i only translate our czech version name) and The Children Of Hurin...i will be really glad to read more by him...but it is true he is 83 already and who knows if he will ever write something more...

Christopher Tolkien just edited his father's book, you never cant compare his father's imagination with him.
----

11.02.2008 - 03:08
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
but he had "compiled" it into readable version (especially in The Children Of Hurin)...and that is exactly what i will enjoy, if he do Beren and Luthien or The Fall of Gondolin in that way - just "put together" what was already written, but put it well together
----

11.02.2008 - 05:10
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Ellrohir on 11.02.2008 at 03:08

but he had "compiled" it into readable version (especially in The Children Of Hurin)...and that is exactly what i will enjoy, if he do Beren and Luthien or The Fall of Gondolin in that way - just "put together" what was already written, but put it well together

Yes, but putting something together does not equate him with his father. It's your opinion, but to say he knows his father's work more than his father even did, seems just like an ignorant statement. Whatever though man, I guess if you'd want to sacrifice quality for quantity. Regardless, I wouldn't want a bunch of spin offs done by people, even if it is his son. Like I said, some thing are best left up to our imaginations.
----
The force will be with you, always.
11.02.2008 - 20:34
Varegan
Hamranakara
Written by Ellrohir on 11.02.2008 at 03:08

I let compare J.R.R Tolkien with C.S. Lewis but if you are goin to comparing him with his son!!! its is like a insult to both.
I'm sure Christopher have added some parts to "Children Of Hurin" to make it more depressive
----

11.02.2008 - 21:55
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
well i dont think this have to be true...the story of Túrin Turambar is depressive from the begining to the end and i think it was the idea to make it so by JRRT himself
----

26.02.2008 - 18:33
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Well, as far as I read in teh notes on my edition, Christopher only made minimum editions. But it all was J.R.R.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
26.02.2008 - 22:47
Varegan
Hamranakara
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 26.02.2008 at 18:33

Well, as far as I read in teh notes on my edition, Christopher only made minimum editions. But it all was J.R.R.

I agree
----

28.06.2008 - 19:57
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat

Sorry I just had to, since I'm reading LOTR for teh fifth time
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
28.06.2008 - 20:43
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Varegan on 10.02.2008 at 22:58

if you've found such a thing, introduce it to me, I like to learn this too.
28.06.2008 - 21:39
Varegan
Hamranakara
Written by Hamird on 28.06.2008 at 20:43

I posted that 5 months ago!!!, currently I'm walking Sindarian dictionary Ill inform you later
----

29.06.2008 - 09:36
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Varegan on 28.06.2008 at 21:39

Written by Hamird on 28.06.2008 at 20:43

I posted that 5 months ago!!!, currently I'm walking Sindarian dictionary Ill inform you later

It's so great! I'm ready to be informed!
27.02.2009 - 04:47
tulkas
el parcero
I know this may interest probably all of you, and maybe some have already watched it. anyway, here it is, Tolkien reading a chapter from The Hobbit, and on the related videos there's lot of other stuff that he reads. really interesting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VOdv2RE4jg
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
17.05.2009 - 10:01
tulkas
el parcero
To any Tolkien geek out there, this site has some of the best editions of Tolkien's books for sale (and most are not cheap) featuring strange and rare stuff. if you have money to spend, this is for you, and if you just like to see what you may never be able to purchase (like me), then this is for you also:

http://www.tolkienlibrary.com
----
18.05.2009 - 02:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by tulkas on 17.05.2009 at 10:01

To any Tolkien geek out there, this site has some of the best editions of Tolkien's books for sale (and most are not cheap) featuring strange and rare stuff. if you have money to spend, this is for you, and if you just like to see what you may never be able to purchase (like me), then this is for you also:

http://www.tolkienlibrary.com

Wow I bought http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/dmiller/000632.htm in 1990 in england in a bookstore for just 4 pounds.... And mine is in totally perfect state. I neve rread it and only flipped througgh it once.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.05.2009 - 03:21
tulkas
el parcero
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.05.2009 at 02:51

Wow I bought http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/dmiller/000632.htm in 1990 in england in a bookstore for just 4 pounds.... And mine is in totally perfect state. I neve rread it and only flipped througgh it once.

Hey, that one is pretty cool! and you got yourself for 4 pounds something that is now worth $215.00. congrats, man! that edition looks pretty nice. i've only read Leaf by Niggle, read it this semester on the Tolkien course i took, and i liked it. i want to read The Adventures of Tom Bombadil.
if someday i have enough money, i'll surely buy something from that site!
----
20.01.2010 - 00:17
Brogkul
Tolkien is one of my favorite writters, I´ve read The Hobbit, The Silmarillion, and The Lord of the Rings.

I love all three of them, but the one that stands out for me is The Silmarillion. The first time was complicated, making notes of the names and famlily trees slowed down the reading. The second read was majestic, ´till today it remains one of my top 5 books of all time.

I think it´s genius the way the world is created in The Silmarillion. I don´t think that there are many cultures that believe the world was made through Music, and the way Melkor disrupts the harmony... it´s superb.
----
"The Sly One"
20.01.2010 - 06:01
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
I was wondering if anyone has ever read any non Middle-Earth stuff? I've heard of Leaf by Niggle and Farmer Giles of Ham among others, and was wondering if anyone had read them? I would like to and my school library has them so I may pick them up. And if not these, what about any of the History of Middle-Earth books or The Adventures of Tom Bombadil (though not all poems are about Tom)?
----
The force will be with you, always.
20.01.2010 - 14:35
tulkas
el parcero
Written by Clintagräm on 20.01.2010 at 06:01

I was wondering if anyone has ever read any non Middle-Earth stuff? I've heard of Leaf by Niggle and Farmer Giles of Ham among others, and was wondering if anyone had read them? I would like to and my school library has them so I may pick them up. And if not these, what about any of the History of Middle-Earth books or The Adventures of Tom Bombadil (thought not all poems are about Tom)?

I read Leaf by Niggle when I took the Tolkien course in my university and it was great; I think you'll be surprised with the story. We mostly read literary theory and it was also really good, you really see Tolkien's extent in knowledge, as well through some of his letters. I could look up some of the titles, I just have to find where I have all that
----
21.01.2010 - 12:41
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite

I was wondering if anyone has ever read any non Middle-Earth stuff? I've heard of Leaf by Niggle and Farmer Giles of Ham among others, and was wondering if anyone had read them? I would like to and my school library has them so I may pick them up. And if not these, what about any of the History of Middle-Earth books or The Adventures of Tom Bombadil (thought not all poems are about Tom)?

I believe I once read a small book by him which was basically a compilation of short 30-page-ish stories. I remember enjoying it, but don't remember any of the actual content.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
21.01.2010 - 20:08
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Unfortunately i havent any chance yet, to read something different than various Middle-Earth tales...
----

21.01.2010 - 20:25
ylside
Staff

The Adventures of Tom Bombadil?

Only for the die hard fans, I didn't find it very enjoyable. You can always check that new "Children of Hurin" book that came out recently.
04.02.2010 - 13:27
Hylia
So far, i've read The Hobbit, The fellowship and i'm halfway through the two towers. When i'm done I'm probably gonna start readind the adventures of Tom Bombadil.:)
05.02.2010 - 06:25
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by ylside on 21.01.2010 at 20:25

The Adventures of Tom Bombadil?

Only for the die hard fans, I didn't find it very enjoyable. You can always check that new "Children of Hurin" book that came out recently.

i could never bring myself to read that. tom bombadil was a proto-hippie.

anyone read Bored of the Rings? - read it as a kid (well, about 15) and it was hilarious, even though half the various bits referenced were outdated before i picked the book up in the mid-80's.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
25.03.2010 - 15:09
Alphafemale
Just love his stuff
Call me a baby, I like 'The Hobbit' , 'The Children of Hurin' is good but too sad.
----
'Proud forest rises towards the sky,
in awe I stand silent
Green path of life amalgamates
With my own belief'
25.03.2010 - 17:39
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Why you should be "baby"? just because Tolkien originally created Hobbit as a fairy tale for his children?
----

26.03.2010 - 13:44
Alphafemale
I know... maybe
----
'Proud forest rises towards the sky,
in awe I stand silent
Green path of life amalgamates
With my own belief'