11. Prophecy
12. Birth Of The Wicked
13. The Coming Curse
14. Shooting Star [Bad Company cover][re-issue bonus]
15. Electric Funeral [Black Sabbath cover][re-issue bonus]
16. The Ripper [Judas Priest cover][re-issue bonus]

Top 20 albums of 1998: 9

Additional info
The last three songs make up the "Something Wicked" trilogy.

The Japanese digipack version contains a bonus track: "Stormrider" (live at Wacken '98). This song is not available on any other release.

Also pressed as a gatefold LP, limited to 2,000 copies.

Staff review by
Dream Taster
Rating:
The biography of the American band Iced Earth suffered from too may line-up changes over the years, so, basically the only original member, founder and leader Jon Schaffer IS Iced Earth. Ok, that was the line-up! No just kidding, well Matt Barlow was still there with his master voice, Larry Tarnowski was around to handle the lead guitar parts and James McDonough was the current bass player. Concerning the drummer, Brent Smedley, he is on the picture of the band in the booklet but I'm almost sure that he didn't played on that album as Mark Prator did. Smedley would be the drummer on the Alive in Athens CD but that's another story. So what was I saying? Yes, complicated lineup, especially if you add that their producer Jim Morris played some guitar parts and that since, Tarnowski has been fired, Barlow quit the band for personal reasons, I have no idea what happened to Brent Smedley but despite his amazing performance on stage, he's not anymore part of Iced Earth and finally James McDonough is still the official bass player but Iced Earth released two albums without his services... Nevertheless, the core of the band at that time, meaning the trio Schaffer-Barlow-Tarnowski worked perfectly as we will discuss later.

Read more ››
published 18.09.2003 | Comments (17)

Found in 56 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 42   Visited by: 1509 users
28.01.2010 - 22:01
Reza
Account deleted
Very nice album! it's my favorite Iced Earth album. I adore Melancholy (Holy Martyr) !
31.01.2012 - 11:40
Rating: 9
Nite
This album got me into Iced Earth. I heard one of the tracks (forget which) on Snakenet Meta Radio and was hooked!
01.02.2012 - 20:26
Rating: 8
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
2 werry powerful ballads and one killer song about easter sands and ancient man
those are 3 songs who keeps album alive, others is ok, HM yes it is but doens make album strong, IMO weekest from Mat'salbums, somehow I think it now
eaxch day I go to school in my MP3 player I coppy one album and listen same in mornings before buss leaves on CD .... well now for me its nothing special 3 songs what makes it good
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
06.05.2012 - 02:18
ThunderAxe1989
Account deleted
Just like the Stormrider album, I believe this one to also be one of their all time best

did anyone ever notice that one of the main riffs in "Stand Alone" sounds pretty much identical to the main riff in Metallica's "Blackened"? I picked up on that immediately.
08.09.2014 - 19:56
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
This was my introduction to Iced Earth and it's still one of my favourite albums by them. However. The stop - start structure of fast song / slow song / fast song / slow song prevents the first half from having any sort of flow, there's a dead spot in the middle of the record ("My Own Savior" and "Reaping Stone") and the lyrics are on occasion... less than stellar (I'm especially looking at "Stand Alone", "My Own Savior" and "Watching Over Me").

On the other hand I really like the instrumental. From "1776" onward it's pure IE gold.
08.09.2014 - 21:02
Mattybu
Written by Azarath on 08.09.2014 at 19:56

there's a dead spot in the middle of the record ("My Own Savior" and "Reaping Stone") and the lyrics are on occasion... less than stellar (I'm especially looking at "Stand Alone", "My Own Savior" and "Watching Over Me").

On the other hand I really like the instrumental. From "1776" onward it's pure IE gold.

I like Watching Over Me, if nothing else the lyrics are at least very genuine and heartfelt. I find the album to be totally laden with filler and mostly boring up until the last few songs, and even then they pale in comparison to the best IE stuff.
09.09.2014 - 06:02
Lord_Regnier
Written by Azarath on 08.09.2014 at 19:56

However. The stop - start structure of fast song / slow song / fast song / slow song prevents the first half from having any sort of flow

I was about to mention that this album is pretty inconsistent for that specific reason. Too many slow songs/ballads. And there is definitely a pattern of fast song/slow song in alternance.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
09.09.2014 - 20:09
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
Written by Mattybu on 08.09.2014 at 21:02

I like Watching Over Me, if nothing else the lyrics are at least very genuine and heartfelt.

I guess that's what the lyrics are going for and I know many people like the song, but it just doesn't work for me. The first line "I had a friend many years ago - One tragic night he died" is almost comical in its melodramatic pathos and later it goes into "I know he's an angel now", that "his spirit's like the wind" and that they'll be together someday. I mean, I'm the last person to criticize something for being "cheesy" considering the stuff I like, but Jesus Christ. I do like the line "We shared dreams like all best friends, blood brothers at the age of ten" though. I'm not completely heartless.

Of course, much of this also has to do with the delivery. I like Barlow but this song speaks to his limitations. Give him a song about the Antichrist arising in Eastern sands thousands of years ago and he'll whip up the requisite melodrama, passion and fury to sell it, but with a song about a dead childhood friend it just sounds like he's hamming it up to an unnecessary degree. With a personal and down-to-earth lyric you'd think he'd be able to sing it straight, but maybe he can't. I'm always reminded of the Allmusic review that stated that "his ultra-dramatic vocal style occasionally verges on the absurd".
09.09.2014 - 20:10
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
Written by Lord_Regnier on 09.09.2014 at 06:02

I was about to mention that this album is pretty inconsistent for that specific reason. Too many slow songs/ballads. And there is definitely a pattern of fast song/slow song in alternance.

Right. And the slower songs aren't even bad. They're just too many and slow the album down, keeping it from kicking into a higher gear.
09.09.2014 - 20:27
Mattybu
Written by Azarath on 09.09.2014 at 20:09

I like Watching Over Me, if nothing else the lyrics are at least very genuine and heartfelt.

I guess that's what the lyrics are going for and I know many people like the song, but it just doesn't work for me. The first line "I had a friend many years ago - One tragic night he died" is almost comical in its melodramatic pathos and later it goes into "I know he's an angel now", that "his spirit's like the wind" and that they'll be together someday. I mean, I'm the last person to criticize something for being "cheesy" considering the stuff I like, but Jesus Christ. I do like the line "We shared dreams like all best friends, blood brothers at the age of ten" though. I'm not completely heartless.

Of course, much of this also has to do with the delivery. I like Barlow but this song speaks to his limitations. Give him a song about the Antichrist arising in Eastern sands thousands of years ago and he'll whip up the requisite melodrama, passion and fury to sell it, but with a song about a dead childhood friend it just sounds like he's hamming it up to an unnecessary degree. With a personal and down-to-earth lyric you'd think he'd be able to sing it straight, but maybe he can't. I'm always reminded of the Allmusic review that stated that "his ultra-dramatic vocal style occasionally verges on the absurd".

Totally agree with pretty much everything you said. On some level though, I think the approach (lyrically and vocally) being so overwhelmingly earnest helps me to glaze over that when listening to the song... The emotion of it and the intent behind the song makes it enjoyable for me, and in some respects the lyrical content can even be viewed through a somewhat general lens; most people can relate to the feeling of losing someone.

I tend to take reviews with a pinch (or couple thousand billion trillion pinches) of salt and just go with my own reaction, which is probably how I came to the conclusion that while it is dramatic delivery, it works for me and isn't really detrimental to the song.
10.09.2014 - 00:59
Lord_Regnier
Written by Azarath on 09.09.2014 at 20:09

I like Barlow but this song speaks to his limitations. Give him a song about the Antichrist arising in Eastern sands thousands of years ago and he'll whip up the requisite melodrama, passion and fury to sell it, but with a song about a dead childhood friend it just sounds like he's hamming it up to an unnecessary degree. With a personal and down-to-earth lyric you'd think he'd be able to sing it straight, but maybe he can't. I'm always reminded of the Allmusic review that stated that "his ultra-dramatic vocal style occasionally verges on the absurd".

In my opinion, when Barlow tries to sound melancholic or dramatic he only manages to sound whiny.
----
10.09.2014 - 20:34
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
Written by Mattybu on 09.09.2014 at 20:27

Totally agree with pretty much everything you said. On some level though, I think the approach (lyrically and vocally) being so overwhelmingly earnest helps me to glaze over that when listening to the song... The emotion of it and the intent behind the song makes it enjoyable for me, and in some respects the lyrical content can even be viewed through a somewhat general lens; most people can relate to the feeling of losing someone.

And that's cool. You're not alone, plenty of people like the song. I'm probably in the small minority that don't and actually takes the time to pick holes in a tribute to Schaffer's childhood friend. Because I'm a dick.
10.09.2014 - 23:27
Mattybu
Written by Azarath on 10.09.2014 at 20:34

I'm probably in the small minority that don't and actually takes the time to pick holes in a tribute to Schaffer's childhood friend. Because I'm a dick.

I bet more people than you would think share your views, albeit maybe not among dedicated Iced Earth fans. Your heartless, godforsaken views.
11.09.2014 - 21:40
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
Written by Mattybu on 10.09.2014 at 23:27

Your heartless, godforsaken views.

That about sums it up.
20.02.2015 - 15:44
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

I like Watching Over Me,

if I remember song is about guitarists lost friend childhood, or even maybe Dinebag I don't remember actually I have heard t´hat story
----

apos;'
[image]
21.02.2015 - 20:45
Mattybu
Written by Bad English on 20.02.2015 at 15:44

I like Watching Over Me,

if I remember song is about guitarists lost friend childhood, or even maybe Dinebag I don't remember actually I have heard t´hat story

It's definitely not about Dimebag, I think it was just one of Jon's childhood friends
21.02.2015 - 21:58
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Mattybu on 21.02.2015 at 20:45

Written by Bad English on 20.02.2015 at 15:44

I like Watching Over Me,

It's definitely not about Dimebag, I think it was just one of Jon's childhood friends

I see
well BLS song video was about Dimebog? wanst it?
----

apos;'
[image]
21.02.2015 - 22:25
Mattybu
Written by Bad English on 21.02.2015 at 21:58

I see

Maybe, I really don't know what BLS song you're referring to
21.02.2015 - 22:41
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Mattybu on 21.02.2015 at 22:25

Written by Bad English on 21.02.2015 at 21:58

I see

Maybe, I really don't know what BLS song you're referring to

In This River - video
----

apos;'
[image]
09.03.2015 - 18:13
Mountain King
K i K o
Don't like this album, too many tracks and most of them sound the same, nothing too interesting. Of course a few songs are good but to me there aren't any standout tracks, just a few good songs. Dark Saga is a good album and I quite enjoy Horror Show and Crucible Of Man...
10.03.2015 - 14:16
Sang Dalang Abu
Written by Mountain King on 09.03.2015 at 18:13

Don't like this album, too many tracks and most of them sound the same, nothing too interesting. Of course a few songs are good but to me there aren't any standout tracks, just a few good songs. Dark Saga is a good album and I quite enjoy Horror Show...

You mean 3 last songs? and no rate yet? There are good songs in this album and worth listening toooo. ok you hard to please.
10.12.2015 - 11:51
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Their best imo.. Close to 9.. Melancholy, Blessed are you and Watching over me are the best songs imo. Some fillers too, otherwise it would be an easy 9..
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
24.01.2016 - 07:30
Lord_Regnier

Don't like this album, too many tracks and most of them sound the same, nothing too interesting. Of course a few songs are good but to me there aren't any standout tracks, just a few good songs. Dark Saga is a good album and I quite enjoy Horror Show and Crucible Of Man...

"Crucible Of Man" is the very definition of ultra-generic crap. As boring as music can be.
----
28.03.2016 - 23:11
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Sang Dalang Abu on 10.03.2015 at 14:16

Don't like this album, too many tracks and most of them sound the same, nothing too interesting. Of course a few songs are good but to me there aren't any standout tracks, just a few good songs. Dark Saga is a good album and I quite enjoy Horror Show...

You mean 3 last songs? and no rate yet? There are good songs in this album and worth listening toooo. ok you hard to please.

I have to agree whit you man, a powerful album, many bands tried copy this one, but failed...
----

apos;'
[image]
23.07.2016 - 19:27
Rating: 7
Joppe
Steelemeister
Good songs and fillers. Tracks 11-13 are great though, the band should cut the bullshit songs and make more like these IMO.
----
My vision is augmented
02.05.2017 - 11:01
Necrodamus
The Coming Curse is perhaps the greatest US power metal/heavy metal song ever written. Such power and ferocity in Matt Barlow's voice. Classic.
11.01.2018 - 19:04
musicalkaratekid
Whilst I prefer the songwriting of Stormrider and Burnt Offerings marginally to this and Dark Saga, Something Wicked... will forever be the Iced Earth album with my favourite vocal performance. Everything is done here with emotional power and it's great to hear how well the delivery translates alongside an already consistent and solid musical performance. That said, this album's slightly louder production (at least compared to previous albums anyway) makes songs such as "Disciples of the Lie", "Watching Over Me" and the closing opus "The Coming Curse" seem all the fresher and not aged at all. This album may be two decades old this year, but it certainly doesn't sound like it.
07.05.2020 - 21:06
Metren
Dreadrealm
I love Iced Earth and this is a good album too, but "Melancholy (Holy Martyr)" will forever be one of the worst filler songs of all time. It's so unimaginative it's almost funny.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
08.05.2020 - 20:15
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
"Listen not to ones who preach" he said, in the most preachy way imaginable.
20.01.2021 - 21:05
JavierPaper
¿Why an album from 22 years is now in charts?

Hits total: 30771 | This month: 64