03. All Guns Blazing
04. Leather Rebel
05. Metal Meltdown
06. Night Crawler
07. Between The Hammer & The Anvil
08. A Touch Of Evil
09. Battle Hymn
10. One Shot At Glory
11. Living Bad Dreams [Recorded during the 1990 Painkiller sessions] [2001 re-release bonus]
12. Leather Rebel [Live at Foundation's Forum, Los Angeles, California, USA in 13 September 1990] [2001 re-release bonus]

Top 20 albums of 1990: 2
Top 200 albums of all time: 3
Featured in "Getting Into: Judas Priest"

Additional info
Produced by Chris Tsangarides.

Staff review by
Pierre Tombale
Rating:
The most wicked, crass, screaming guitars, heaviest? album in Judas Priest's discography with Rob Halford. There are simply not enough attributes to describe it. To many if not most of the fans say it's the best album they ever recorded. For me, it's the second best (pointing at the Screaming For Vengeance review). Of course, this is a perfect production, incredible songwriting, a brand new sound you would not have imagined before 1990, but everybody can have his own view on that.

Read more ››
published 20.12.2003 | Comments (59)

Guest review by
Valentin B
Rating:
The year is 1990 and after 2-3 softer releases like Turbo or Ram it down, Rob Halford, KK Downing, Glenn Tipton, Ian Hill and new drummer Scott Travis (the five members of Judas Priest) decide to do something so brutal, even by death metal standards of the day. It's so heavy, so fast and shredding, yet so catchy and melodic that no-one has ever heard anything like it before.

Read more ››
published 02.11.2006 | Comments (30)

30 years ago, on September 3, 1990, Judas Priest released the perfect heavy metal album. Not A perfect heavy metal album - THE perfect heavy metal album, a nonstop death machine bristling with power and speed that puts all competition to shame. The title track really says it all: it's iconic from head to toe, opening with Scott Travis's merciless drum volley and closing with Rob's peremptory shriek of "PAIN!!", with some of the greatest shredding ever committed to wax in between. But the album doesn't end there; for 47 minutes, Painkiller holds its listeners captive with stratospheric screeching, face-melting guitar solos, and the sleekest, heaviest, most brutally effective solution of thrash-laced heavy metal that the world has ever heard. The snarling evil of "Night Crawler," the pummeling metallic frenzy of "Metal Meltdown," the epic and intimidating groove of "Hell Patrol" - every track is a guaranteed killer from one of the most legendary bands ever to give meaning to the phrase "heavy metal." I love the myriad styles of metal music and I embrace it in all its deathly, blackened, doomy, thrashy, folksy, grindy, djenty extremity, but when it comes to the grand tradition, the classic sound, the stuff that "heavy metal" in its purest form is made of, there is nothing better than Painkiller.

ScreamingSteelUS's picks | More picks ››

Found in 187 lists
Top lists

Comments page 3 / 6

Comments: 163   Visited by: 3167 users
15.07.2012 - 21:05
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 24.03.2012 at 22:12

Huge step up from the previous two Priest albums! Different from any other old album of theirs. Definately the heaviest. It's intense, I like it.

Perhaps the heaviest heavy metal album from the heavy metal history
07.09.2012 - 03:09
DJ Cosimoto
How can anyone seriously say that this album is overrated, outdated etc... u gotta be joking!
I am aware that some of JP's earlier albums have been really important for all of the heavy metal genre, if I had to pick the most important album of them all, I would say it is Painkiller.. It is also timeless, ahead of its time and just perfect all the way... even the less popular songs on there like One shot at glory I still enjoy today just as much as when I was a kid!

There's not much out there that I can say that about.. closest might be Ride the Lightning...

Painkiller is and will always be a perfect 10 in my book
17.11.2012 - 15:15
megadeath13
Account deleted
The monster album. Painkiller was the first heavy metal cd which i owned and it still remains as one of the best.
05.04.2013 - 22:11
Metropolis_Dream
Account deleted
Halford & Co. have recorded so many classics that its really hard to choose their best. But actually i think this is their most perfect work ever. Each song is a absolute genious heavy metal hymn and the solos are just out of this world. We are talking about a life-changing album here. This is heavy metals finest work in my opinion.
14.06.2013 - 18:47
quisableed
Account deleted
There could be a little more emotion with their technique, but who cares? fuck emotion
08.08.2013 - 14:52
Nemo Atkins
I love this album. This might not be the most intelligent metal album by any stretch of the imagination (I'll admit that most of the songs don't exactly require deep analysis to understand what the band are talking about) and, if you're aware of the speed metal scene that was going on at the time, you'll know it's not the most original either (Sanctuary, Riot and Deadly Blessing, to name three of the ones with singers who were clearly taking a leaf from Halford's book, were doing this kind of thing years before Priest tried it), but it's still a great listen that comes highly recommended from me!

(And I'll throw in Sanctuary, Riot (specifically their stuff with the Thundersteel line up: I'm not too familiar with their other stuff) and Deadly Blessing in as well for a recommendation: all of them released amazing material that should appeal to fans of this album!)
23.08.2013 - 06:17
Rating: 10
UPDIRNS
One of the best albums ever by any band in my opinion. Everything about the album is brutal, technical, melodic and dominating!!!
10.12.2013 - 23:27
Rating: 8
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
A very fine heavy metal affair. Not as good as Stained Class or Screaming for Vengeance IMO, the second half isn't nearly as strong as the first for me personally, but still a strong album from this seminal group. It deserves the praise it receives.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
11.02.2014 - 16:10
Rating: 9
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by CobiWan1993 on 10.12.2013 at 23:27

A very fine heavy metal affair. Not as good as Stained Class or Screaming for Vengeance

or Sad Wings Of Destiny
10.04.2014 - 19:51
pkillerjp
Certainly a classic, when it's good it's ridiculously good (Between the Hammer and Anvil, Hell Patrol, Leather Rebel, Nightcrawler) but when it's bad it's pretty darn bad (Metal Meltdown, All Guns Blazing) ...all in all amazing for a band in this stage of their career, possibly the best late career pure metal album of all time..I'd have to think longer on that one, but no others are coming to mind..certainly Maiden never came up with anything close to this good post Seventh Son..
27.04.2014 - 11:52
Sang Dalang Abu
Written by pkillerjp on 10.04.2014 at 19:51

Certainly a classic, when it's good it's ridiculously good (Between the Hammer and Anvil, Hell Patrol, Leather Rebel, Nightcrawler)

How about "One shot at glory"? it's nice song too
22.05.2014 - 23:39
Nihil Aeternum
Can anybody tell me why this album is ranked so high? The lyrics are so damn stupid.
23.05.2014 - 02:47
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Nihil Aeternum on 22.05.2014 at 23:39
Can anybody tell me why this album is ranked so high? The lyrics are so damn stupid.

If you're going to rate metal albums based solely on lyrics I'm afraid you're going to be massively underwhelmed.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
30.05.2014 - 13:43
Sang Dalang Abu
Written by Troy Killjoy on 23.05.2014 at 02:47

Written by Nihil Aeternum on 22.05.2014 at 23:39
The lyrics are so damn stupid.

If you're going to rate metal albums based solely on lyrics I'm afraid you're going to be massively underwhelmed.

LOL. maybe he didn't like same music.
03.06.2014 - 00:32
Nihil Aeternum
Written by deadone on 23.05.2014 at 03:10

Hilarious.

I find most metal lyrics to be stupid but it doesn't stop me loving the music.

This is not right. Actually most metal band have quite good lyrics and I love many bands. I have no problem if they are meaningless or just stupid. But Judas Priest is extremely stupid. Most European folk music has more meaning ("I love her ... but she doesn't love me ... lalalala"). Metal is the best musical invention ever ... but Judas Priest is quite at the bottom of it all. They don't deserve to be among the Top 1000 IMHO.
03.06.2014 - 21:37
Rating: 10
raveneffect
Some guys just take the lyrical component too strongly. I mean, yeah, lyrics should mean something, but this isnt horrible, cmon...its not RHAPSODY Horrible, it tells the story and it fits the awesome music.

When something is amazing, there are always a group of people who like to disagree. clear case here
24.07.2014 - 03:33
Maco
Pvt Funderground
I used to enjoy this album a lot. It was the first one I heard from them. But now is just a pile of shit for my ears. I will stay with their earlier material.

And the lyrics are pathetic, but I never cared for it since I liked the music, until some time ago.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
24.07.2014 - 05:16
Lit.
Account deleted
How odd. I grew out of their early stuff, and this album is all I play by them nowadays.

And people who actually care about lyrics, GTFO.
25.07.2014 - 01:25
Ganondox
A bit overrated, I don't think it's the best Priest album. but still a very good album.
11.08.2014 - 13:01
27.04.2015 - 18:40
Neoxx07
Classic of classics. in my top 3 priest album, this is the N°2. the first place goes to defenders of the faith
27.04.2015 - 22:12
Gullveig
Absolutely amazing!

what about Sad wings of destiny?

reedemer of soul is a good album, I think judas release a very good judas-style album

voice is still great for me

... but first 17 seconds of painkiller are absolutely perfect! perfect album
----
"The lies of Christ will lose...the ways of hell I chose
I drink the floating blood...defy the fury of God"
04.05.2015 - 10:49
Rating: 7
Jurgen33
Really good album but not the best from Priest
27.08.2015 - 22:06
Metren
Dreadrealm
Call me crazy, but this album should have no place in any top of all time albums list. I have only been able to listen to it from beginning to end twice. I tried giving it a third and a fourth chance, but quit halfway through both times and went an listened to Sad Wings Of Destiny instead. Now that album should be in every appropriate top list. I'd give Painkiller a 7/10 at the most and I'd still feel generous.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
13.09.2015 - 01:04
Nihil Aeternum
Pain, yeah ... killer, yeah ... warrior, yeah ... steel, yeah ... hell, yeah ... strike, yeah ... burn, yeah ... leather, yeah ... rebel, yeah ... destroy, yeah ... enemy, yeah ... battle, yeah. In the 80s, I had a Commodore C64 that was able to produce - purely randomly - much more meaningful lyrics ("stars burn in eternal darkness" etc.). Maybe they have used a beta version this program to write the lyrics. However, respectfully, If they would have decided to make an instrumental album out of this, without the always bad lyrics and the annoying singing, I would give it an 8. It would rock. In any case, I really don't understand why this album is here among the Top 10000 of metal.
01.01.2016 - 13:50
The lyrics are self-consciously cheesy if anything. Painkiller takes old-school speed metal and ramps it up to a ridiculous level - the lyrics are dumb but they completely fit the music.

This isn't the smartest metal album ever made, but it is one of the most fun. I usually prefer my music with a bit more intellectual depth than this, but every song is so catchy, and it's played with so much power and energy that I can't help but enjoy. Fantastic album.
10.05.2016 - 01:11
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Ellrohir on 18.02.2010 at 18:41

I somehow dont like this album and especially i dont like the title song...

Huh? Look at how you rated this album.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.05.2016 - 01:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by DJ Cosimoto on 07.09.2012 at 03:09

..., ahead of its time...

Huh? Stuff like this had been done to death at the time. It was trying to emulate Pantera at the time, somehow. And tbh they even failed at that. They did a better thing with Jugulator trying to sound like Pantera.

Actually it is a normal continuation of Defenders Of The Faith... just listen to the opener of that album... Freewheel Burning.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.05.2016 - 13:58
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.05.2016 at 01:11

Written by Ellrohir on 18.02.2010 at 18:41

I somehow dont like this album and especially i dont like the title song...

Huh? Look at how you rated this album.

comment = 2010...rating = 2013 or so...time goes by
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

11.05.2016 - 14:08
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ellrohir on 11.05.2016 at 13:58

comment = 2010...rating = 2013 or so...time goes by

I have a same when it goes my idiot years in MS and now in music, albums and so on, my biggest changes are I don't listen non English bands (only my origibl country and Scand) when it goes not folk, black genres
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 99852 | This month: 387