04. Battle Against Time
05. Death And The Healing
06. Starchild
07. Beautiful Death
08. Sadness And Hate
09. Winter Madness [demo] [Japanese bonus]
10. Beyond The Dark Sun [demo] [Japanese bonus]
11. Death And The Healing [demo] [Japanese bonus]

Disc II [Live At Summer Breeze 2005 DVD] [2006 Special Tour Edition re-release bonus]
01. Beyond The Dark Sun
02. Battle Against Time
03. Sleeping Stars
04. Beautiful Death
05. Death And The Healing
06. Winter Madness

The best debut album of 2004
Top 20 albums of 2004: 1

Additional info
Drums recorded at Tico Tico Studios in January 2004 by Ahti Kortelainen.
Everything else recorded at Sundi Coop Studios in April by Tuomo Valtonen.
Mixed at Sonic Pump Studios in May by Nino Laurenne.
Mastered at Finnvox Studios in May by Mika Jussila.

Produced by Jari Mäenpää.
All music and lyrics written by Jari Mäenpää.

Tracks 1, 2 and 5 are re-recordings of the tracks with the same names from the afore mentioned Winter Madness demo.

Jari Mäenpää had been working on the songs for this album for a long time. The songs were written in/between:
1. Beyond the Dark Sun (1998)
2. Winter Madness (2002)
3. Sleeping Stars (1995-2003)
4. Battle Against Time (2002-2003)
5. Death and the Healing (1996)
6. Starchild (2000-2003)
7. Beautiful Death (2003)
8. Sadness and Hate (1996)

Guest review by
Hyvaarin
Rating:
Those readers who are familiar with the history of folk/power-metallers Ensiferum will doubtless be familiar with the history of Wintersun (i.e. that after walking out on Ensiferum, main man Jari Maënpäa formed the latter as a solo project). Speculation was rife in melodic metal circles - expectations for 'Wintersun' were largely high, though some suspected that Wintersun would be little more than Ensiferum Pt.II. In spite of the various similarities between this release and those of Maënpäa's former band (and make no mistake- they do exist), 'Wintersun' is very much an exceptional album, and will be reviewed as such.

Read more ››
published 16.06.2006 | Comments (80)

Guest review by
Black_Handed
Rating:
Ok, just to make it clear right at the beginning, I absolutely love/adore/worship (choose preferred term) this album. And I'm not alone, just check the number of fans in "Featured bands" section. So reviewing this album comes with great responsibility.
Jari Mäenpää started as a part of Ensiferum. Great black folk metal band if you'd ask me. So why did he leave? He came up with some interesting not-so-Ensiferum-like ideas. So he started his own project with drummer Kai Hahto of Rotten Sound grinders. But where are the others? Where are synth, bass, second guitar players we can hear in there? Well by the time Wintersun was recorded Jari Mäenpää did everything except drums. Yes, everything except drums. Later on Jukka Koskinken of Norther and Teemu Mäntysaari joined to finish the lineup.

Read more ››
published 07.07.2006 | Comments (26)

Guest review by
Talvi
Rating:
Wintersun is the band Jari Mäenpää started after leaving Ensiferum. Some people dispise this band because they compare it to Ensiferum and say it's worse. Big mistake. This probably isn't as bombastic and catchy as Ensiferum, of course, but, what is Wintersun?

I've seen them labelled as Melodic Death Metal, as well as Extreme Power Metal. The first thing that comes to my mind though, is Children Of Bodom. But Children Of Bodom they are not. They play somewhat epic, almost progressive Melodic Death/Black Metal with Folk influences. You may see it as less Folk-like, as only some riffs have Folk qualities, but more aggressive and complex Ensiferum. It's far more than just that however.

Read more ››
published 29.12.2006 | Comments (6)

Guest review by
RhaegarTargaryen
Rating:
When in 2004 Jari Mäenpää left Ensiferum, few people could imagine what impact that would leave on the metal community. Ensiferum got on pretty we'll, but what Jari did with his new band Wintersun was something quite unexpected. There are only few albums that deserve this kind of praise and hype, but I think this one is one of them.

Read more ››
published 21.12.2007 | Comments (29)

Guest review by
Andro Maximus
Rating:
A most beautiful melancholic album cover, fast sweeping guitar solos, some fantastic melodies, and an epic, if slightly overproduced soundscape - Wintersun's debut album is clearly the result of a lot of passion and hard work and is obviously intended to be a monumental album. It is a shame then, that with so much going for it, Wintersun falls short of being the masterpiece that it is intended to be.

Read more ››
published 27.07.2014 | Comments (11)

Found in 143 lists
Top lists

Comments page 4 / 5

Comments: 143   Visited by: 3285 users
30.05.2012 - 18:42
Rating: 7
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
The only track i really like off of this is Winter Madness, then it's just... meh...

This is really overated in my opinion.

6.5/10
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
08.06.2012 - 23:55
Rating: 5
mz
Good album, but 24th top metal record of all time??!!! don't really think so.It's well done extreme melodic metal, but has almost nothing new.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
09.06.2012 - 00:03
mz
No one mentioned terrible vox? both clean and harsh vocals are among the weakest I've ever heard , like early Ensiferum.
----
16.07.2012 - 20:16
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Most overrated album ever. Two or three tracks are good.
03.08.2012 - 04:37
Rating: 10
Wes
That's what happens to forums in general. You get polar opinions. For most fans of the album, we don't bother checking here because we don't care. Wintersun's self titled has always been my favorite album, and a most personal one to me. I find it strange that people find it to be "hyped up". It's as if there is some world on here I've never been aware of. How could Wintersun be hyped up and over rated when nobody I've ever talked to in the USA even knows them? Wintersun is a victim to their own success, it's just what happens. If you don't like it that's fine too, but spare it ratings like 1/10 or even 5/10. Because this album is not bad or even mediocre for what is is trying to achieve. Jari achieved exacted what he wanted to with the album, and within that genre (if one even exists), he did very well. I don't go around saying Blind Guardian sucks, because they completely rule their genre and do well within it. I also do not bother rating bands on here that belong to a genre I do not appreciate. It's not right to begin with. To me, the majority of black metal bands out there deserve 1/10 across the board, but in reality it's just that the genre to me deserves a 1/10, personally. As far as that genre is concerned, these bands do very well and some better than others.

Written by mz on 08.06.2012 at 23:55

Good album, but 24th top metal record of all time??!!! don't really think so.It's well done extreme melodic metal, but has almost nothing new.

Written by mz on 09.06.2012 at 00:03

No one mentioned terrible vox? both clean and harsh vocals are among the weakest I've ever heard , like early Ensiferum.

I find it strange and saddening that this album has come off to people as being overrated, when originally the album was a side project by a niche band nobody had heard of. Don't forget this. It was judged then, and should be judged now, by THOSE standards and within it's own genre and history (early ensiferum). The vocals appeal to fans of Jari in the first place, and to the musical style displayed in early ensiferum. The fact that people like you (non-fans) got your hands on this album and are not happy with it is unfortunate, because Wintersun was never supposed to please anyone who didn't like early Ensiferum in the first place. What I think I am witnessing here is a reaction to the success of a very wild cult fascination that is Wintersun. Again the easiest way to put it is by saying that they are a victim of their own success. After seeing so many negative responses I just want to scream back at everyone that "This album was never for you to hear!". Because it simply wasn't. The above poster criticizing Jari's vocals is most likely a troll, and if he isn't, he is extremely uninformed. Wintersun is early Ensiferum as you know it. That is the appeal, end of story.
03.08.2012 - 04:55
Rating: 6
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Wes on 03.08.2012 at 04:37
...spare it ratings like 1/10 or even 5/10. Because this album is not bad or even mediocre for what is is trying to achieve. Jari achieved exacted what he wanted to with the album, and within that genre (if one even exists), he did very well.

You can't tell people not to rate this lower than a 6 simply because you think what Jari did here "deserves" more. I don't care if he achieved exactly what he wanted to with this, I personally don't enjoy his little "masterpiece". Although personally I would give it a 6 and not a 5, so thankfully I'm not breaking your rating law.

As for them being hyped, the reason why people around you don't know who Wintersun are is the same reason people around me don't even know who Amon Amarth are: because even some of the most popular metal bands simply aren't popular when it comes down to it. Read up on them (Wintersun) more online (not just fanboy reviews like the ones here) and you'll see that the majority of the metal world online is hyping any future Wintersun releases beyond what many consider to be an acceptable level.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
03.08.2012 - 05:01
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Wes on 03.08.2012 at 04:37

rant

He achieved what he wanted to achieve, but what noone else wanted: Watered-down Children of Bodom rip-off metal so sugary it would turn a dentist diabetic.
15.09.2012 - 14:36
Neroese
Account deleted
EPIC SHIT!!!! ohhh fap
19.09.2012 - 03:03
Rating: 9
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Epic, glorious, all-encompassing, this is the standard for all extreme power metal albums (and perhaps all metal albums period) to follow. Absolutely spellbinding album.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
20.11.2012 - 17:13
sonatoarctico
A fantastic journey.
----
POWER TO POWER
21.11.2012 - 03:51
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
I'd probably pick "Sadness and Hate" as the best album closer I've ever heard. What a song - it has it all.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
20.01.2013 - 21:41
Rating: 8
king_matt
Does this album really need four reviews saying basically the same thing???

All in all, it's a decent album. Overrated as HELL.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
22.01.2013 - 03:55
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by king_matt on 20.01.2013 at 21:41

Doesn't need four reviews saying the same thing but I don't feel this is overrated. It's close to being a modern masterpiece of metal. The final track is an amazing song. Incredible guitar work throughout the whole album.
----
23.01.2013 - 07:37
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by king_matt on 20.01.2013 at 21:41

Not surprisingly, Hell is rated poorly
26.02.2013 - 02:02
Atrus
Awesome. Varied. Epic. Emotive. Great.
06.05.2013 - 17:28
Rating: 9
Mario Montes
Amazing album. Starchild is my favourite song.
17.05.2013 - 21:04
RealEyes
Masterpiece
22.09.2013 - 15:14
mz
Seriously, 4 revies with minimum of 9.2 (including 2 reviews with 10)
----
22.09.2013 - 15:29
angel.
Evil Butterfly
four reviews for this album ?!
----
The Fangirl.
22.09.2013 - 15:36
mz
Well, I admit that I used to give this album a 9 personally 4 years ago but 4 reviews with almost same context and rating is a little useless. I also do not like this situation for death's TSoP which is one of my absolute favorites
----
23.09.2013 - 12:30
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
The four reviews are probably just an indication of a high-level of excitement about this album and people just wanted to put pen to paper, or fingers to keyboard, so as to record their feelings about it. You'll find that Master of Puppets also has the same number of reviews and that's for the same reason, I would suggest. No point getting bitter about it. I think it's good to have multiple reviews, and if they are of a similar nature, so be it.
----
23.09.2013 - 12:52
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Ace Frawley on 23.09.2013 at 12:30

No point getting bitter about it. I think it's good to have multiple reviews, and if they are of a similar nature, so be it.

well yeah,I just didn't expect it that there is four reviews on one album by Wintersun.
----
The Fangirl.
23.09.2013 - 15:11
mz
Written by Ace Frawley on 23.09.2013 at 12:30

The four reviews are probably just an indication of a high-level of excitement about this album and people just wanted to put pen to paper, or fingers to keyboard, so as to record their feelings about it. You'll find that Master of Puppets also has the same number of reviews and that's for the same reason, I would suggest. No point getting bitter about it. I think it's good to have multiple reviews, and if they are of a similar nature, so be it.

but MoP is generally regarded as one of the most important classic metal albums, right? I do not see this quality in wintersun. Moreover, I don't think that multiple reviews with same context would be justified under any light, even it the case of MoP or TSoP (which I really like)
----
28.09.2013 - 02:40
master 666
King of Arizona
Good album i cant say nothing
24.04.2014 - 14:11
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt
Overrated! :
28.04.2014 - 11:49
Sang Dalang Abu
This is good album dude
30.06.2014 - 09:27
FYA
Destroyer
It's only me, or every next track here is longer than previous?
27.07.2014 - 18:33
J. N.
Account deleted
Written by FYA on 30.06.2014 at 09:27
It's only me, or every next track here is longer than previous?

Nope, it's only you. The version you've got is a rare out-of-print joke version that was limited to 1 copy, handed out to the guest musicians of Time I to share.
23.02.2015 - 13:00
Slade_19
Overrated, but still a solid 8/10.
23.04.2015 - 15:26
BlackMetalDay
Excellent album with many good melodies.

Hits total: 65258 | This month: 197