2 - Sinéad
    3 - Shot In The Dark
    4 - The Making Of?
    5 - Where Is The Edge
    6 - Utopia [featuring Chris Jones]
+ The Unforgiving: The Prequel
+ Credits & Facebook Fans

Additional info
Based on a comic book series, written by Steven O'Connell (BloodRayne & Dark 48)

Staff review by
Ag Fox
Rating:
In the blink of an eye, 4 years have passed since the not-so-critically-acclaimed The Heart Of Everything. Being lambasted for being sold out and radio oriented, it was also the metal album that drew my attention to the genre of music called heavy metal. Having moved on to other more obscure spectrums of the genre, it has been a couple of years since an album with the symphonic metal tag slapped on it came out that I can truly enjoy. With an album cover that seems to cater towards a much younger audience and an announcement about a concept album based on some comic series, I confess that my expectations couldn't have been lower.

Read more ››
published 14.11.2011 | Comments (24)

Found in 27 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 79   [ 4 ignored ]   Visited by: 1230 users
26.03.2011 - 20:15
Rating: 7
CyberSymphony
Ollie
I have mixed feeling with The Unforgiving. I like a some of the songs and the short films weren't bad. Though their new official videos are just awful. I would have rated it a 6 but now ive listened to the album im giving it a 7.
27.03.2011 - 23:11
D.a.n

Written by Jeeers on 26.03.2011 at 14:32

Total garbage! This album is SO bad, it's unbelievable!

Well, it is definitely miles from "tr00 metul" (and in fact it is cheesy, poppish and mainstream as hell) -- but that does not make it bad, if you want to hear my two eurocents.

Anyone who thought a new WT album (a comic-based concept album, mind you!) would be like their Gothic roots and Dance is very naïve (or blind and totally stupid) indeed...

The bottom line? Poppish symphonic rock for those days when you don't feel like listening to brutal death, black, doom or prog and want to enjoy some straightforward music and well-delivered female vocals.
28.03.2011 - 01:41
Rating: 9
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Written by Irritable Ted on 20.03.2011 at 14:08

This is not metal anymore, not even rock really.

But I like what I have heard so far, it is not as bad as THOE, which I didn't like much as she was trying to sound like Avril Latrine. Far closer to TSF, my fav WT album.

Wasn't expecting to get this, but am tempted now. Think I may be turning in to a girl.
On my first listen. I love this album =P *looks in trousers* Yep... still a guy =P
----
loves 小巫
28.03.2011 - 15:17
Constantine

For me very nice suprise... I was expecting something bad, but was really pleased. Really good album.
28.03.2011 - 19:54
Diablos
Account deleted
Such a shame...I miss the first album(their best by far) where they were pure metal. After that album they have always been somewhere between rock and metal, but I'm sad to see that they have now taken the step into rock/pop. This album may be what kills my interest in this band.
28.03.2011 - 22:35
Rating: 10
Enissa

Written by D.a.n on 27.03.2011 at 23:11

Well, it is definitely miles from "tr00 metul" (and in fact it is cheesy, poppish and mainstream as hell) -- but that does not make it bad, if you want to hear my two eurocents.

Anyone who thought a new WT album (a comic-based concept album, mind you!) would be like their Gothic roots and Dance is very naïve (or blind and totally stupid) indeed...

The bottom line? Poppish symphonic rock for those days when you don't feel like listening to brutal death, black, doom or prog and want to enjoy some straightforward music and well-delivered female vocals.

Actually these are my very own thoughts...thnx
If they wanna do commercial stuff, they are free as long as the songs are good, I mean that Commercial stuff doesnt mean shitty stuff like a lot of people clearly think...
this whining started since the days of "The Silent Force", this band has Already & clearly changed their style long time ago...
29.03.2011 - 00:29
Rating: 4
Jeeers

Written by Enissa on 28.03.2011 at 22:35

If they wanna do commercial stuff, they are free as long as the songs are good, I mean that Commercial stuff doesnt mean shitty stuff like a lot of people clearly think...
this whining started since the days of "The Silent Force", this band has Already & clearly changed their style long time ago...

Well this time it does mean "shitty stuff", don't get me wrong I can listen to good pop, but this is garbage - uninspired, bland and without any good catchy melodies that "good pop" is about....
Actually I wasn't expecting anything for my liking when I started to listen to this album, so I'm not "disappointed" or "whining" about anything, but the album sounded much worse than I thought...
29.03.2011 - 02:08
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
When i first listened to "What Have You Done" from "The Heart of Everything", i thought, "ok, i hope they don't turn this way"...and they did!

Even The Slent Force (btw my favourite WT album) and The Heart of Everything had strong choruses, a lot of keys, orquestral sections, and both were already modern gothic metal albums in opposite to the symphonic gothic metal of their early albums.

But on this one they managed to remove absolutely EVERYTHING i loved on them:

-Dynamic vocals, not the growls, but all the amazing varied parts Sharon did. Now it's just that strong and boring tune.
-Heaviness and orquestrations. They now sound modern rock with ocasional d-tuned guitars adding false weight to the songs.
-Great and strong drumming. I dunno if that's why their last drummer quit, but the drumming on this album is so boring and crappy, it hurts.

Ah! And "Faster" vaguely reminds "Wicked Games" from Chris Isaak. Not the pre-chorus (the repeated "faster, faster"), of course, but the rest of song.

This modern rock crap just isn't for me, plus it comes from a band that i used to love. Another sell out.
29.03.2011 - 04:02
Enissa

Written by Jeeers on 29.03.2011 at 00:29

Written by Enissa on 28.03.2011 at 22:35

Well this time it does mean "shitty stuff", don't get me wrong I can listen to good pop, but this is garbage - uninspired, bland and without any good catchy melodies that "good pop" is about....
Actually I wasn't expecting anything for my liking when I started to listen to this album, so I'm not "disappointed" or "whining" about anything, but the album sounded much worse than I thought...

ok, fair enough, in the end everyone has a taste and opinion of him/her self...
and btw, I meant with these words people who cant listen to anything but metal...
29.03.2011 - 13:12
Rating: 6
Lady Margoth

Written by Guest on 29.03.2011 at 02:08

When i first listened to "What Have You Done" from "The Heart of Everything", i thought, "ok, i hope they don't turn this way"...and they did!

Even The Slent Force (btw my favourite WT album) and The Heart of Everything had strong choruses, a lot of keys, orquestral sections, and both were already modern gothic metal albums in opposite to the symphonic gothic metal of their early albums.

But on this one they managed to remove absolutely EVERYTHING i loved on them:

-Dynamic vocals, not the growls, but all the amazing varied parts Sharon did. Now it's just that strong and boring tune.
-Heaviness and orquestrations. They now sound modern rock with ocasional d-tuned guitars adding false weight to the songs.
-Great and strong drumming. I dunno if that's why their last drummer quit, but the drumming on this album is so boring and crappy, it hurts.

Ah! And "Faster" vaguely reminds "Wicked Games" from Chris Isaak. Not the pre-chorus (the repeated "faster, faster"), of course, but the rest of song.

This modern rock crap just isn't for me, plus it comes from a band that i used to love. Another sell out.

You are completely right.
Exactly my thoughts!
29.03.2011 - 15:27
Rating: 6
mariano

Written by Guest on 29.03.2011 at 02:08

Actually, you may find it even more similar to HIM's cover -it's almost like WT was "inspired" by this version of the song
29.03.2011 - 17:58
ksl

No doubt - this is a pure pop. So what? It's very good
01.04.2011 - 17:42
max5892

Not very metal, but amazing nonetheless They're still amazing songwriters!
----
Delain International - Delain fansite/fan community supporting Delain since June 2009
01.04.2011 - 23:41
Behdaad
DEAD
I didn't find anything special with this album.
All the songs were similar, with different intros!

I liked their earlier albums more.
----
As tyranny becomes normality;
We hang at the end of the rope.
04.04.2011 - 21:58
Rating: 1
grimm

So disappointing. It was only better than my expectations because I managed to like one song, and I expected to not like any of them. I found that all the songs started to sound the same, and they were all very radio-friendly. Ugh.
05.04.2011 - 16:07
Rating: 8
Joey Filth

Doesn't have the same heavy feel of previous albums, but top marks for excellent songwriting. Very catchy stuff with great melodic hooks.
06.04.2011 - 00:39
versusthesiren

Nailed it.

Yeah, it's commercial and radio-friendly, but weren't they upfront about that? Who's surprised, really? From the beginning they said, "This is going to have '80s influences." Honestly, I was only a casual WT fan at best - I like a handful of songs from THoE, think TSF is boring as hell, and still need to listen to ME (though I like what I've heard from it so far) - but I love this, and I really wasn't expecting to. The choruses are strong, and Sharon sounds fantastic. My only problem is that the album seems to lose steam after the first half. Still, I will definitely be picking this up.
12.04.2011 - 14:48
Irinel

A melodic album...nothing interesting
14.04.2011 - 02:33
John Shock

Men, i've heard then "faster" song and i must say...wow! Men love it! nothing more to say! Now i muts hear the entire album!
20.04.2011 - 14:42
Blasphemer1992

This an example, how band can become commercial...
21.04.2011 - 21:33
Zenzero
Zenzero
Written by John Shock on 14.04.2011 at 02:33

Men, i've heard then "faster" song and i must say...wow! Men love it! nothing more to say! Now i muts hear the entire album!

faster?? I'm sure you just knew it under the name of wicked game!
21.04.2011 - 21:51
The_Warcult

The Unforgiving is a good album. Nothing really more than that.
26.04.2011 - 11:18
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Love the album, and also love the artwork. This the first album of the band I've enjoyed since their '98 EP this much. Absolutely looking forward to their US tour!
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
26.04.2011 - 13:49
Rating: 5
Vivi'

I like Michael Jackson - is he tr00? No. I don't like this album not because it's not tr00. And by the way, WT have never been a heavy sounding band.
02.05.2011 - 18:19
John Shock

Written by Zenzero on 21.04.2011 at 21:33

Why you telling that? I don't like songs just because they appear in games!! And still, i don't know what game your talking about! But now i'm asking you, is Unforgiving a good album??? Need a asnwer soon!
02.05.2011 - 19:04
John Shock

Written by Irritable Ted on 02.05.2011 at 18:49

Written by John Shock on 02.05.2011 at 18:19

Why you telling that? I don't like songs just because they appear in games!! And still, i don't know what game your talking about! But now i'm asking you, is Unforgiving a good album??? Need a asnwer soon!

Lot of people don't like it. It is far away from their early sound.

I do like it, its more pop rock than metal, but there are some really good songs on there.

What songs?
02.05.2011 - 21:08
John Shock

Written by John Shock on 02.05.2011 at 19:04

I do like it, its more pop rock than metal, but there are some really good songs on there.

What songs?

Thanks!!!
02.05.2011 - 21:13
John Shock

Written by John Shock on 02.05.2011 at 21:08

Written by John Shock on 02.05.2011 at 19:04

What songs?

Thanks!!!

Hey the name Shot in the Dark isn't a name of a song of Ozzy Osbourne??? funny...
02.05.2011 - 23:18
Zenzero
Zenzero

ehehehe you're misunderstanding me!!! listen to the song wicked game by HIM (it's a cover) and you'll understand what I mean!
26.05.2011 - 12:43
Deadsoulman

Nice and catchy pop rock album. I don't even know why people are still looking for metal in Within Temptation. It's just pop rock with guitars mixed louder in than usual pop rock.

Hits total: 31724 | This month: 27