Metal Storm logo
Avant Garde metal bands

15.02.2010 - 06:19
whatsacow
I've been really getting into the genre of Avant-Garde metal lately, i love the expeimentation and that there is something new happening in the world of music. So band reccomendations, opinions on the genre, favourite band etc. would be much appreciated.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
23.02.2010 - 22:32
I dunno what's considered avant-garde and what isn't, but you could trawl through the top 50 or so of my 2009 list and maybe find something of interest.

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/burialchamber/2009

Right now I'm listening to Giant Squid, who probably fit the bill.

Most recent gig was gendre benders Ulver. Wonderful.
24.02.2010 - 16:46
snook
Well of course Meshuggah are probably the most known experimental/avant-garde band out there now...

Besides them I recommend checking out Unexpect - In A Flesh Aquarium. I found it kinda hard to swallow at first because of all the different styles mixing in their songs, but when you go through the album a couple of times it becomes somewhat listenable

Diablo Swing Orchestra is also nice if you like symphonyic stuff and the Nightwishy vocals...
25.02.2010 - 03:13
whatsacow
I went and saw Unexpect live... it was incredibly awesome... but my headache still hasn't subsided... lol.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
25.02.2010 - 03:49
chrisjoel
ANyone know any bands that use the Harp or that are very Orchestral ?
25.02.2010 - 13:52
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
Well...the easiest thing to do here is look at the results for the MetalStorm Awards "avantgarde" catagory the last few years - very good summarizing of the bands and titles.

As for me I can suggest:

Oceans of Sadness - Arrogance of Ignorance
Disillusion - Gloria
Kalisia - Cybion

These three cds are "growers" - At first listen I was like "meh"...then after a few spins I got hooked!
----
rekt
25.02.2010 - 23:53
whatsacow
I know your basic ones, like maudlin of the well, kayo dot, unexpect and diablo swing orchestra, i'd like something along those levels of wierdness
----
27.02.2010 - 13:56
Tried Isis, Cult of Luna, or Neurosis?
----
VICTORY!!!!! (They love it in France)
04.03.2010 - 23:51
Nacur
Man, I made this list:

http://metalstorm.ee/users/list.php?list_id=94

Hope it helps you.
05.03.2010 - 01:11
whatsacow
Written by Nacur on 04.03.2010 at 23:51

Man, I made this list:

http://metalstorm.ee/users/list.php?list_id=94

Hope it helps you.

OMG thank you soooooooooo much. An absolutely essential album you forgot though is Bath - Maudlin of the well
----
05.03.2010 - 14:12
Nacur
Hehe, you are welcome man!
Humm, to speak the truth... I never listened to Maudlin Of The Well much...I just know their last effort..xD
But I will check it out!

Thanks!
15.03.2010 - 00:22
whatsacow
Written by Nacur on 05.03.2010 at 14:12

Hehe, you are welcome man!
Humm, to speak the truth... I never listened to Maudlin Of The Well much...I just know their last effort..xD
But I will check it out!

Thanks!

Their last effort is good, but it sounds nothing like their other three albums, which are just plain awesome.
----
16.03.2010 - 21:10
Ag Fox
Angel No More
elite
Written by tea[m]ster on 25.02.2010 at 13:52

Well...the easiest thing to do here is look at the results for the MetalStorm Awards "avantgarde" catagory the last few years - very good summarizing of the bands and titles.

As for me I can suggest:

Disillusion - Gloria
Kalisia - Cybion

These three cds are "growers" - At first listen I was like "meh"...then after a few spins I got hooked!
I got into all three at the first spin I don't think Kalisia is counted as avantgarde though?
----
loves 小巫
16.03.2010 - 23:54
whatsacow
Written by Ag Fox on 16.03.2010 at 21:10

I got into all three at the first spin I don't think Kalisia is counted as avantgarde though?

No, but they are awesome nonetheless
----
17.03.2010 - 01:11
Ag Fox
Angel No More
elite
Written by whatsacow on 16.03.2010 at 23:54

No, but they are awesome nonetheless
definitely. Sigh and Unexpect are pretty good too and more extreme, but i suppose you would know them too as they are pretty big
----
loves 小巫
17.03.2010 - 23:50
whatsacow
I dont really know sigh, but yeah, unexpect is awesome
----
18.03.2010 - 01:20
Urs Blank
Last Year I attended a gig of Unexpect, and despite the fact that we were barely a dozen (stupid Bordelese!!!), the show was pretty awesome

Did anyone mentioned Vulture Industries here? Though they are not the most "avantgardist" avantgarde metal band, they definitely deserve a listen
18.03.2010 - 03:22
whatsacow
I'm listening to Thy Catafalque atm, they arent bad.
----
20.03.2010 - 19:40
Ag Fox
Angel No More
elite
Written by whatsacow on 18.03.2010 at 03:22

I'm listening to Thy Catafalque atm, they arent bad.
Good choice man! It's my fav album from 2009.
----
loves 小巫
20.03.2010 - 21:22
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor

As for me I can suggest:

Disillusion - Gloria
Kalisia - Cybion

I definetly think Kalisia is advantgarde - I cannot put a tag on them - Cybion to me is part death, technical, alternative, progressive, and melodic in one!
----
rekt
22.03.2010 - 00:10
whatsacow
Written by tea[m]ster on 20.03.2010 at 21:22

As for me I can suggest:

Disillusion - Gloria
Kalisia - Cybion

I definetly think Kalisia is advantgarde - I cannot put a tag on them - Cybion to me is part death, technical, alternative, progressive, and melodic in one!

I'd just say kalisia is just progressive. sure, it merges genres and stuff like that, but opeth isn't tagged as avant garde, even though it mixes death, folk and black metal.
----
23.03.2010 - 06:56
Vathek
Blatherskite are borderline avante metal/prog rock, but wrapped in a grungey flavoursome burrito.
I'm hungry.

http://www.myspace.com/blatherskite
----
"Nothing is Real. Everything is Permitted."
13.04.2010 - 20:24
the stranger
Have you tried Angizia? It's not mainly metal, but their weird style of theatrical music mixed with anything that pops to the mind is pretty avantgarde to me.
01.05.2010 - 21:34
Another weird avant-garde metal band is DAKRYA. They might remind you a bit the style of Unexpect but it's not the same thing.
Also I recently discovered BIGELF and they're pretty cool too... Check them out if you want:

DAKRYA: http://www.myspace.com/dakrya
BIGELF: http://www.myspace.com/bigelf
02.05.2010 - 00:46
the stranger
Written by PsychoJuggler on 01.05.2010 at 21:34

Also I recently discovered BIGELF and they're pretty cool too...

BIGELF?
They opened for Dream Theater here and as far as I know for their whole South American Tour. They're good but not pretty cool.
17.09.2010 - 22:45
jacob15728
Solefald, Azphaezya, Age of Silence, Code, Peccatum, Fleurety, Fantomas, Mirrorthrone, Manes, Stolen Babies, Carnival in Coal

All worth checking out and haven't been mentioned yet. Solefald, Age of Silence, Peccatum and Fleuerety are similar to Arcturus but a bit wierder. Code, Manes and Mirrorthrone are more black metal based but still experimental, like Sigh or Dodheimsgard. Akphaezya is a pretty obscure band that has a lot of unusual jazz elements.

Also, I bet you would enjoy Mr. Bungle. I'd call them avant-garde rock rather than metal but they are still amazing and one of the first avant-garde bands.

Eternal Deformity is sometimes cited as an avant-garde metal band, although I don't really see them as such. Still worth checking out. Will give you major underground cred, and has cool circus music elements.
28.09.2010 - 04:55
Kennoth
It's a really broad genre. I'm very interested to hear some good avant-garde/experimental bands, but from what I've caught on (Meshuggah, iwrestledabearonce) I'm not satisfied.

Written by jacob15728 on 17.09.2010 at 22:45

Code, Manes and Mirrorthrone are more black metal based but still experimental.

Oh yeah, Mirrorthrone is the fucking shit. Good stuff.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
28.09.2010 - 06:39
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Kennoth on 28.09.2010 at 04:55

It's a really broad genre. I'm very interested to hear some good avant-garde/experimental bands, but from what I've caught on (Meshuggah, iwrestledabearonce) I'm not satisfied.

I think I just exploded out of laughter.

Of course you won't be satisfied (with IWRESTLEDABEARONCE at least) but Meshuggah's good, though I can understand why some people wouldn't be fond of it.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
28.09.2010 - 15:40
Kennoth
Written by vezzy on 28.09.2010 at 06:39

I think I just exploded out of laughter.

I'm not that fortunate.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
28.09.2010 - 21:13
FOOCK Nam
In The Woods... surely you will enjoy.