02. Juanita [Marshall Fury cover]
03. Sheriff Of Huddersfield
04. That Girl

Top 20 albums of 1986: 4
Top 200 albums of all time: 68
Featured in "Getting Into: Iron Maiden"

Additional info
Produced & mixing by Martin Birch.
Engineering by Martin Birch, Albert Boekholt, Ronald Prent, Sean Burrows & Bruce Buchhalter.
Mastering by George Marino.
Cover art & photography by Rod Smallwood & Derek Riggs.

Spoken prologue on "Alexander The Great" by the English comedian, writer & actor Graham Chapman.

Guest review by
Spyroid
Rating:
I wouldn't really like to talk about underrating when it comes to a band like Iron Maiden, but a band with such a wealthy discography full of classics will unavoidably have overlooked albums. I would say 'Somewhere In Time' is one of those for sure.

And yes, this album really is a jewel in Iron Maiden's discography, and the only reason it's not a classic is probably that the songs are not that stunning, and tend to fall in the shadows of the great amount of famous Maiden songs. Which is strange, because in my opinion some songs from this album are better then a lot of songs considered as mandatory live tracks. The problem might be that the material is not complex enough compared to the follower 'Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son' and not catchy enough compared to its predecessor 'Powerslave' if you want to split the material of Iron Maiden in those two categories.

Read more ››
published 24.07.2008 | Comments (29)

Found in 118 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 64   Visited by: 1923 users
23.02.2010 - 00:44
Rating: 9
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
When i listened to this for first, second and third time, my thoughts were like "ok, not bad, but i dont like it that much"...but i listed to this album today again, after some while and this time it was like "wow, this is really awesome album!"

now i really cant tell if this is "the best", or Powerslave or SSOASS
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

11.05.2010 - 14:05
Angel Of Mercy
I didn't like it, but it grew on me and it is now in my top ten list. Alright! >.<
----
Your time will come.
14.04.2011 - 04:33
Rating: 8
Kuroboshi
This and Number of the Beast are easily the best albums from their early era!
21.04.2011 - 06:54
Rating: 10
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
My favorite Maiden album and one of my favorite albums of ALL TIME...love it!
----
rekt
21.04.2011 - 07:27
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Though this one generally isn't as widely regarded as a classic as most of their other 80's albums are, for me, it is a total classic, and just continued Maiden's streak of flawless 80's albums. There's not a single bad song, and many of it's tracks are very underrated and sadly neglected by Maiden in their live sets over the years.
17.07.2011 - 22:20
Mattybu
Amazing album, for me this one is among their very best. A few of my all-time favourite Maiden tracks come from it as well: Wasted Years, The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner, and Alexander the Great.
26.07.2011 - 02:50
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Underrated gem. Best tracks include: Caught, Wasted, Loneliness, Sea Of Madness, Stranger....
26.07.2011 - 19:09
Rating: 7
@gent_-_orange
IMO its the weakest of there 80's material.... Dont get me wrong when its good it is most definitely good but their is a some filler on this album, Tracks 5,6,7 are all lacking IMO.
17.09.2011 - 19:56
Mountain King
K i K o
Hahaha this is in the top 100? omg im gna kill myself...
23.09.2011 - 06:18
Berserk
Personally, I think this is one of their best albums. I liked it much better than Seventh Son. Wasted years, Alexander the Great, Deja Vu, Stranger in a Strange land... INCREDIBLE!
----
Fear the Old Blood
14.10.2011 - 16:18
Mountain King
K i K o
The greatest track here alongside Alexander The Great is Sea Of Madness but some tracks are just aweful. I would give this a 7.5 just for 4 tracks out of 8 that i like...
09.11.2011 - 05:09
Lit.
Account deleted
Sad how underrated this album is, even with tracks like Wasted Years, Stranger In A Strange Land, Heaven Can Wait and Alexander The Great.
27.12.2011 - 17:40
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
My favourite Maiden album.
And...
Written by Mountain King on 14.10.2011 at 16:18

The greatest track here alongside Alexander The Great is Sea Of Madness but some tracks are just aweful. I would give this a 7.5 just for 4 tracks out of 8 that i like...

I don't think there are any "aweful" tracks here.
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"
24.02.2012 - 16:18
musicalkaratekid
In my opinion no iron maiden album released in the 80's is necessarily underrated, just that some are regarded as milestones of the metal genre and others as the best thing since sliced bread. 'Somewhere in time' was released at an interesting time, having been sandwiched in between the brilliant success of 'Powerslave' and the as-successful yet experimental 'Seventh son of a seventh son'. Perhaps if the album was released in the 90's, people would probably appreciate it more. But less about comparing, as this album is actually very good indeed. I would argue that Iron maiden have made better and more consistent songs that 'Heaven can wait' and 'The loneliness of the long distance runner', but 'Alexander the Great' and 'Wasted years' are more than just a mere example of the band's talent-they are perfect examples of how ambitious the band can get musically.
25.02.2012 - 11:47
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by musicalkaratekid on 24.02.2012 at 16:18

In my opinion no iron maiden album released in the 80's is necessarily underrated, just that some are regarded as milestones of the metal genre and others as the best thing since sliced bread. 'Somewhere in time' was released at an interesting time, having been sandwiched in between the brilliant success of 'Powerslave' and the as-successful yet experimental 'Seventh son of a seventh son'. Perhaps if the album was released in the 90's, people would probably appreciate it more. But less about comparing, as this album is actually very good indeed. I would argue that Iron maiden have made better and more consistent songs that 'Heaven can wait' and 'The loneliness of the long distance runner', but 'Alexander the Great' and 'Wasted years' are more than just a mere example of the band's talent-they are perfect examples of how ambitious the band can get musically.

Interesting. My favorite tracks are Sea of Madness, Stranger in a Strange Land and Deju-vu. Unliikely? Yes. But that's what makes this album one of my rare "10" ratings.
----
rekt
25.02.2012 - 12:25
LordFezzington
Lost To Apathy
Written by tea[m]ster on 25.02.2012 at 11:47

Interesting. My favorite tracks are Sea of Madness, Stranger in a Strange Land and Deju-vu. Unliikely? Yes. But that's what makes this album one of my rare "10" ratings.

Not that unlikely! You know I said you keep posting my exact thoughts about my favourite albums? Well you've done it again...

In my view, this is Maiden's most consistent 'Golden Era' album. AND I actually think "Alexander The Great" is the weakest tune on the record...
----
"Pay no heed to anyone and do what seems right to yourself." - Franz Kafka, The Trial
2022 List: https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=7001
2021 List: https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=6742
25.02.2012 - 15:35
musicalkaratekid
Written by LordFezzington on 25.02.2012 at 12:25

Written by tea[m]ster on 25.02.2012 at 11:47

Not that unlikely! You know I said you keep posting my exact thoughts about my favourite albums? Well you've done it again...

In my view, this is Maiden's most consistent 'Golden Era' album. AND I actually think "Alexander The Great" is the weakest tune on the record...

I thought 'Alexander the Great' was a very fitting closer to an album such as this, but i can see why some fans don't listen to this album as much as the other 80's albums. I think it's underrated personally.
25.02.2012 - 15:41
LordFezzington
Lost To Apathy
Written by musicalkaratekid on 25.02.2012 at 15:35

I thought 'Alexander the Great' was a very fitting closer to an album such as this, but i can see why some fans don't listen to this album as much as the other 80's albums. I think it's underrated personally.

Oh I love the album, and agree that it's passed over a bit by some fans. I just think that every other song on it is even better than "Alexander" that's all!
----
"Pay no heed to anyone and do what seems right to yourself." - Franz Kafka, The Trial
2022 List: https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=7001
2021 List: https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=6742
25.02.2012 - 17:55
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor

think it's underrated personally.

I think the addition of the guitar synths is what does it for me. It was something new and fresh at the time and added to the terrific song writing created an album I love.
----
rekt
25.02.2012 - 19:07
musicalkaratekid
Written by tea[m]ster on 25.02.2012 at 17:55

think it's underrated personally.

I think the addition of the guitar synths is what does it for me. It was something new and fresh at the time and added to the terrific song writing created an album I love.

I don't mind the synthesisers on this album, but i prefer the way the band interwove the synthesisers in the songs on 'Seventh son of a seventh son'. Fortunately for them, iron maiden are a band that could probably take any instrument and still make it sound awesome.
01.03.2012 - 19:29
Korah
Not as perfect as "Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son" but anyway, that's my favourite. Alexander the Great is a sadly forgotten song.
----
Don't cry for my English
01.06.2012 - 01:30
neiluria
Great! As alexander the great!
My first album of iron maiden!
02.10.2012 - 15:38
LordHypnos
Account deleted
"Stranger in a strange laaand!!! A world of ice and snooow!!!" Love it!
09.11.2012 - 23:16
megadeath13
Account deleted
The weakest album in the 80s but that doesnt mean anything. Its still an awesome, different sounding Maiden album.
09.11.2012 - 23:17
megadeath13
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 09.11.2012 at 23:16

Their weakest album of the 80s but that doesnt mean anything. Its still an awesome, different sounding Maiden album.
12.11.2012 - 19:48
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I don't think it's as good as an album like Killers, Brave New World, or 7th Son, but still very strong nonetheless. Deja Vu and Stranger in A Strange Land are extremely underrated tracks and are among the best on the album for me.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
25.02.2013 - 02:45
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
See,s band turn more to ''power'' more to ''media likes metal'' more to ''atractive to female'' its not so heavy seems like band use synths, sounds more power not heavby to me, but its sortha catchy, I still like it , I dont know why seems lyrics and muisc, seems band work hard to make it so ''perfect''
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
13.05.2013 - 18:11
Dzidziafon
Im not big fan IM - this is the best their album for me.
29.05.2013 - 23:54
Illog1cal
Account deleted
Not sure why this is one of more disliked 80s Maiden albums. I cannot find any flaws, the choruses are epic, solos are great, the songs have a deeper meaning than most other songs they have created (especially on the earlier albums). I suppose people are looking for more guitar work, but for me constructing good meaningful and flowing songs is more important. Synthesizers seem to be another source of complaint, I do not think that its that intrusive, seems to bolster the songs more.
18.02.2014 - 23:03
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Stranger In A Strange Land

Hits total: 31594 | This month: 144