01. I Got The Fire [Monstrose cover]
02. Cross-Eyed Mary [Jethro Tull cover]

Top 20 albums of 1983: 3
Top 200 albums of all time: 94
Featured in "Getting Into: Iron Maiden"

Additional info
Produced by Martin Birch.
Mixing by Bruce Buchhalter.
Engineering by Martin Birch, Bruce Buchhalter, Denis Haliburton & Frank Gibson.
Cover art & photography by Derek "Dr. Death" Riggs, Rod Smallwood, Simon Fowler, Robert Ellis & Ross Halfin.

The first title of this album was Food For Thought but it was changed to Piece Of Mind.

Staff review by
Pierre Tombale
Rating:
This album could also be called: The Hidden Treasures Of Iron Maiden. I guess it is one of the most underestimated albums of this band, maybe of all I know. But there is more to it than meets the eye (or better the ear) in the first place. Of course it contains 'The Trooper' and 'Flight Of Icarus' which are both well-recognized songs, since they are both live-classics and great studio tunes, but that is far too less to judge the whole album.

Read more ››
published 12.11.2003 | Comments (19)

Guest review by
ScreamingSteelUS
Rating:
Iron Maiden's Piece Of Mind is the first Metal album I remember hearing. I don't know how old I was, but when Nicko McBrain opened up "Where Eagles Dare" with a maelstrom of percussion, I thought it was the most brutal thing in existence. Even now, I still consider it one of Maiden's best (and heaviest) songs. With other classics like "The Trooper" and "Flight of Icarus," Piece Of Mind certainly makes for a an appropriate introduction to the genre.

Read more ››
published 27.09.2012 | Comments (7)

Found in 125 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 54   Visited by: 1938 users
07.03.2010 - 19:00
Rating: 9
metalgemini

One of the best albuns ever :banger
10.07.2010 - 07:48
Rating: 10
cjguitar40

Unbelievably powerful album. I saw the "Flight of Icarus" music video at my brother's friend's house. Right then I knew I wanted to be a heavy metal bassist.. That was just the coolest thing ever. I can still play "Where Eagles Dare" and "To Tame a Land" on the bass without even thinking about it. The perfect production quality and the melodic guitars just still slay me even to this day when I hear "The Trooper" or "Still Life" or "Revelations" . . Done deal , man. One of the best rock albums ever made, hands down. Masterpiece.
23.03.2011 - 18:24
Holy Man
STEEL DEFENDER
This album is one of those genre defining albums... truly legendary.
----
LIGHT THE FUSE ON THAT VAGINAMITE!!!
24.03.2011 - 17:32
Rating: 8
Yasmine

Kept in my Mustang at all times.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
25.03.2011 - 00:12
RavenKing

This album is not bad but a bit overrated. Half the songs are more or less fillers.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
25.03.2011 - 00:31
@gent_-_orange

Sun and Steel being the main culprit i think.
25.03.2011 - 05:03
Void_Eater
Account deleted
My second favorite Maiden album, behind Somewhere in time. Of course, I think I posted the same ting on the Killer's thread, saying Killer's was my second fave. Well, it's hard to pick when it's a band like this, pumping out classic after classic for 8 years. Where Eagle's Dare, Revelations, Still Life, and To Tame a Land are all classics, that need to be on the band's live sets again. The only song that I'm not fond of is Quest for Fire- But skip that song and you've got 8 great tunes.
25.03.2011 - 05:07
Yasmine

Written by Guest on 25.03.2011 at 05:03

My second favorite Maiden album, behind Somewhere in time. Of course, I think I posted the same ting on the Killer's thread, saying Killer's was my second fave. Well, it's hard to pick when it's a band like this, pumping out classic after classic for 8 years. Where Eagle's Dare, Revelations, Still Life, and To Tame a Land are all classics, that need to be on the band's live sets again. The only song that I'm not fond of is Quest for Fire- But skip that song and you've got 8 great tunes.

Still Life is one of my fave songs from the NWOBHM era.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
25.03.2011 - 05:10
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Written by Yasmine on 25.03.2011 at 05:07

I thought of this album as the one that seperated them from the NWOBHM, and brought them into their proto powermetal era, which would be expanded ont he next 3 albums. But yes, it's a great tune, one of my fave's also.
25.03.2011 - 05:33
Yasmine

Written by Guest on 25.03.2011 at 05:10

I thought of this album as the one that seperated them from the NWOBHM, and brought them into their proto powermetal era, which would be expanded ont he next 3 albums. But yes, it's a great tune, one of my fave's also.

THeory wise it doesn't have the all the dual leaders yet and still has tons of the triplets, imo the first Power album they did was Powerslave.
----
25.03.2011 - 05:41
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Written by Yasmine on 25.03.2011 at 05:33

THeory wise it doesn't have the all the dual leaders yet and still has tons of the triplets, imo the first Power album they did was Powerslave.

Maiden has always had dual guitar leads-Listen to Phantom of the Opera. Hell, that song practically had tripple guitar melody;s with Harris' bass acting as the third guitar. The main riff to The Trooper is also a dual guitar melody. As far as the triplets... I never knew triplets made an album less power metal... Although Powerslave is far more power metal than this album. This was a strong turn in that direction though.
25.03.2011 - 05:52
Yasmine

Written by Guest on 25.03.2011 at 05:41

Written by Yasmine on 25.03.2011 at 05:33

Maiden has always had dual guitar leads-Listen to Phantom of the Opera. Hell, that song practically had tripple guitar melody;s with Harris' bass acting as the third guitar. The main riff to The Trooper is also a dual guitar melody. As far as the triplets... I never knew triplets made an album less power metal... Although Powerslave is far more power metal than this album. This was a strong turn in that direction though.

Yes my point was though that the dual leads were a mere side note until powerslave, and triplets don't make it less power metal, but was extremely common from the beginning for Maiden and toning that down for other riffs was a direction change toward power metal. Very very little difference between Number and Piece if you sit with a guitar and jam out the riffs. Then jam out all the riffs on powerslave, big big difference.
----
25.03.2011 - 06:38
Angelic Storm
Melodious
"Piece Of Mind" is IMO the only 80's album with Bruce to contain a filler. ("Quest For Fire") It's still a really strong album though, with many great songs on it.

Maiden (like Judas Priest) were a huge influence on the power metal genre, without ever actually being power metal themselves. The incorporation of speed metal/thrash elements, along with the twin guitar harmonies was what made power metal initially stand out from other genres. Hence why I always class "Walls Of Jericho" and it's preceding EP, as the archetypal power metal album.
26.03.2011 - 01:57
Yasmine

I Think really Priest had more in common with thrash/speed with some of their songs, some of Defenders and Painkiller. Maiden never really reached that far.
----
26.03.2011 - 16:04
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Priest were definitely the first real blueprint for genre's like thrash and power metal, mainly due to the injection of speed and aggression in songs like "Tyrant" and "Exciter". Helloween just took that blueprint, and made something unique, by having a harsher, rawer, and even faster sound, and mixing it in with the twin harmonies and melodies. But certainly, Priest's huge influence on power metal can't be denied, and "Exciter" was surely the prototype for speed metal and it's associated genres.
09.06.2011 - 00:21
Damshak

---Top 10 ''Iron Maiden''---
1-.The Trooper
2-.Prowler
3-.Aces High
4-.Wasted Years
5-.Flash Of The Blade
6-.Killers
7-.Run To The Hills
8-.Transylvania
9-.The Number Of The Beast
10-.Hallowed By The Name
26.07.2011 - 02:39
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Good album with classics like "The Trooper" and "Flight Of Icarus". Not their best though.
22.01.2012 - 23:25
musicalkaratekid

Iron maiden did one hell of a good job following on from 'The number of the beast', and 'POM' can easily match it with 'The trooper' and 'Still life' in terms of classics. A few songs become repetitive, but not so much that it takes away from the intensity of the album as a whole.
03.08.2012 - 04:40
Cüca Beludo
Account deleted
Track 6 is powerful.
03.08.2012 - 21:30
Rating: 10
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Guest on 03.08.2012 at 04:40

Track 6 is powerful.

...But it's all about track 7
03.08.2012 - 22:45
Cüca Beludo
Account deleted
Written by JÄY on 03.08.2012 at 21:30

Written by Guest on 03.08.2012 at 04:40

Track 6 is powerful.

...But it's all about track 7

As long as it's not about track 5....
04.08.2012 - 01:26
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
This is the album that started it all for me...
----
rekt
19.08.2012 - 11:55
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
"To Tame The Land" is becoming one of my most favorite tracks ever...but have to say i discovered it through Dream Theater
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

19.08.2012 - 20:27
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Ellrohir on 19.08.2012 at 11:55

"To Tame The Land" is becoming one of my most favorite tracks ever...but have to say i discovered it through Dream Theater

Welcome back Ellrohir! That is a good song. Typical massive ending track to a Maiden album!
----
rekt
09.11.2012 - 23:11
megadeath13
Account deleted
Really, really great Album. "Quest for fire" is the only weaker song on this masterpiece.
11.11.2012 - 20:48
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Very good album and my very first from the band. I got it for my 15th birthday and have been a huge fan of the band ever since. Even the songs most people don't like I think are really cool and pretty underrated. Quest for Fire actually has an awesome galloping riff, and Bruce's last note sends shivers.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
03.02.2013 - 01:21
Illog1cal
Account deleted
'Revelations','The Trooper' and 'Still Life' stop me from rating this a 7.
23.02.2013 - 01:40
Rating: 7
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Good album I like it werry powerfull and my fav song is there Trooper, but one song lyrics ''when dinosaurs walk on earth'' its even more cheasyer how all flower metal bands, hehe
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
23.02.2013 - 19:31
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
"In a tiiiime when dinosaurs walked the eaaaarth!"

Some say "Quest for Fire" is Maiden's worst song. They are wrong. It's not even the worst song on the album.
07.03.2013 - 07:58
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
"Where Eagles Dare" is one of my favorite songs from the band period, but "Revelations" has my favorite lyrics on the album.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).

Hits total: 31696 | This month: 91