Metal Storm logo
Behemoth - Frontman Formally Charged For Bible Destruction

According to Interia.pl and GazetaPrawna.pl, vocalist/guitarist Adam "Nergal" Darski of Behemoth was formally charged on Monday (March 8) for insulting Roman Catholics.

As reported by Blabbermouth, Darski made headlines in his native country in September 2007 when he reportedly called the Catholic Church "the most murderous cult on the planet" during a Behemoth performance in Gdynia and tore up a copy of the Bible onstage (see video footage here).

After the incident, Ryszard Nowak, head of the All-Polish Committee for Defense Against Sects sued Behemoth for promoting Satanism. Although a court expert witness on religious matters said that the act of destroying the Holy Bible could offend somebody's religious feelings (a criminal offense under Polish law), the case was discontinued because no one except Nowak accused Behemoth of insulting their religious beliefs. (Under Polish law, there must be at least two formal complaints before a charge is laid. The previous complaint was made in 2008, and recently an unspecified number of other complaints had been filed.)

Nergal is pleading not guilty to the charge.

According to Metal As Fuck, in the first hearing, under cross examination, Darski stated what he does on stage is part of artistic license and it wasn't supposed to offend religious feelings. However, an expert on religious history and studies from Jagellonian University in Krakow stated that every copy of a bible could be considered a religious icon.

There was no judgment ruled against Darski in the first hearing, but now that a second complaint has been filed, the matter will be heard by the courts.

IF(!) found guilty, Darski faces up to 2 years in prison.

Source: roadrunnerrecords.com
Band profile: Behemoth
Posted: 09.03.2010 by Thryce

Comments page 2 / 5

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 141   [ 3 ignored ]   Visited by: 591 users
09.03.2010 - 22:57
Got Mayhem?
So basically, the Catholics argument is: He hurt our feelings.

Adam is a professional musician, the stage and the studio are his workplaces. Behemoth's music and live show is catered only to a certain kind of people and never to someone against their will. If Catholics were being forced to watched their precious gospels being torn up in between blasts of furious metal then maybe they would have a case. But they aren't. So they don't. Seems like a waste of time and money to me.
----
09.03.2010 - 23:07
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
Haha like Poland has a law against hurting other people's feelings. There's a reason why people joke about poles being idiots, too bad this is taking it too far.
09.03.2010 - 23:11
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by TheBigRossowski on 09.03.2010 at 22:27

It's too bad we can't sue the Catholic Church for the molestation of innocent children...even though there have been WAY more than two complaints.

Aw shit you just went there. ( )
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
09.03.2010 - 23:24
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
They have been sued in the US...

PC is political correctness. it has morphed from trying to avoid hurting peoples feelings by using terms with horrible connotations, but has advanced well beyond that.

and all, please take note of this absurdity. i am not kidding about the day of the PC police. and like religion, it will all be done "to help our fellow man" - but the end result will be every bit as ludicrous as this sorry state of affairs... yet many of the anti-religious intelligentsia will be entirely for it.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
09.03.2010 - 23:39
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
You say PC is something "bad", but you - MS Staff - are demanding it here too...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

09.03.2010 - 23:39
silenius
Religion has no place in the modern world, every grown up logical human being should be able to realise that its just an out-dated view of life and grow the fuck up, but everyone have the right to believe in what they feel like^^
09.03.2010 - 23:49
tieka
I'm Catholic, and there's no way I'd go trying to put people in prison for this. Extreme religious people sure get scary...
09.03.2010 - 23:57
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by Ellrohir on 09.03.2010 at 23:39

You say PC is something "bad", but you - MS Staff - are demanding it here too...

there is a difference between expecting and demanding a degree of civil discourse (which is what we do) and flat out escalation of said ideals until they reach the level of groupthink thought control.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
10.03.2010 - 00:04
Roro
Burning the bible is for the commercial publicity.

anyway we'll be waiting for warsaw presion new album m/
10.03.2010 - 00:36
F*CK! If anyone dares to put Nergal in prison, then you dont even imagine how many churches and bibles will be destroyed!!!!!!!!!!
10.03.2010 - 00:37
treptolemus
aphotic_zoning
"You ain't nothin' but a hound dog
Cryin' all the time
You ain't nothin' but a hound dog
Cryin' all the time
Well, you ain't never caught a rabbit
And you ain't no friend of mine

Well they said you was high-classed
Well, that was just a lie
Yeah they said you was high-classed
Well, that was just a lie
Well, you ain't never caught a rabbit
And you ain't no friend of mine"
----
\m/etalstor\m/
10.03.2010 - 01:14
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Um...it looked like someone in the audience was burning the bible and not him....he was too busy doing his vocals and playing his guitar...
10.03.2010 - 01:22
Lord_Regnier
Written by silenius on 09.03.2010 at 23:39

Religion has no place in the modern world, every grown up logical human being should be able to realise that its just an out-dated view of life and grow the fuck up, but everyone have the right to believe in what they feel like^^

That's what I think about religion too.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
10.03.2010 - 01:49
X5452
Account deleted
Fucking extremist religious people, just fucking die already, this pisses me off so much

FUCK YOU AND YOUR GOD
10.03.2010 - 02:19
fotius
This is metal!And no religion is other than Metal!
And anyone how goes to see Behemoth likes the music and the act!So they didn't go in the face of a puritan and do that!They'll do it in a live show that we like to see such "unholy" things!

A good idea is to stay here in Greece!He can say anything he wants!
10.03.2010 - 02:36
wormdrink414
elite
Fucking fascists.
10.03.2010 - 02:41
Symmachus
I am a Christian, but not a Catholic. I don't like the act of burning the Bible very well. However, I didn't know that it can be taken as a breaking of the law. But, it is Poland, so I'm not as surprised, considering the past case involving Gorgoroth. Also, while it may be "a form of artistic expression", he does know that it is capable of offending people. Doing it for the sake of artistic expression doesn't justify it well, if you ask me.Two years in jail though? That's a curious concept.
10.03.2010 - 03:11
fotius
If someone offended then he don't like black metal,and he should not be in that consent to see that!So no excuse!He mast do anything he want if he dos not hurt anyone or anything(animals) physically!
Come on it's 2010 and this is not church.It's BLACK metal live!
Hell....
10.03.2010 - 03:15
MetalDoomMaster
Who cares if this offends people?
I've never been to a metal concert and someone hasn't been offended. Some countries/religions take things way too seriously.
10.03.2010 - 03:19
Empty Spaces
Unburied At Dusk
Give me a fucking break, no wonder a lot Polish people hate their country.
10.03.2010 - 03:41
Storm Rider
I think Catholic Church in Poland must learn about how to FORGIVENESS, not to JUDGE. That's what Jesus Christ teach to everyone who believe Him
10.03.2010 - 04:46
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
I actually like Behemoth and I am not catholic but I actually support the church this time. I don't think burning a religious icon should be part of "artistic license," but it should rather be consider as an act of ignorance. It doesn't matter what religion we are talking about; things like this just shouldn't happen, its like going back to the past when people were ignorant bastards that couldn't see one centimeter in front of their eyes. I think the hating on christianity is the new fad, but I would be just as pissed if they were burning a copy of the Qu'ran, some sacred hindo religious text, or even a pagan poem.
----
10.03.2010 - 04:57
SatyriconChick
Are you kidding me??? I guess I take Freedom of Speech for granted here in the USA. Ridiculous! I hope Nergal doesn't go to prison for speaking his free mind. :
10.03.2010 - 05:53
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Well prison is too much, I think I missed the end of the article
----
10.03.2010 - 06:48
Hylia
Thats insane! I had no idea that was a law in Poland. Religious stuff gets so out of hand sometimes.
10.03.2010 - 07:18
..ExoTeaR..
I must be honest i didnt know such laws ever existead in any country << pretty lame tho.
----
[-0-] Aussie Aussie Aussie!!!
10.03.2010 - 07:24
Vána
This is absolutely ridiculous!
He expressed his view on how he dislikes Christianity and ripped a Bible. I don't think ANYONE can argue against the fact that Christianity causes a lot of problems and can lead to religious wars because of many intolerant and absurd views.
There are so many conflicting messages in the Bible. Blind faith scares the shit out of me.

If he goes to jail for expressing his belief (which is what Christianity it, a belief) then that will just continue to boggle my mind.
10.03.2010 - 07:25
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Both sides are equally stupid, religious guys for giving so much importance to Nergal's actions, and Nergal for giving so much importance to religious guys actions...

C'mon, ITS JUST A BOOK! He destroyed a bible, not a fucking church! I don't think he deserves 2 years in prison just for that. This is sooo LAME! :nondo:
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
10.03.2010 - 07:27
BudDa
elite
Written by Storm Rider on 10.03.2010 at 03:41

I think Catholic Church in Poland must learn about how to FORGIVENESS, not to JUDGE. That's what Jesus Christ teach to everyone who believe Him

Indeed..
lol
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
10.03.2010 - 08:07
STEELER
Well,what you guys can expect from this kind of bands? beat a drum kit like a maniac,rip it off a guitar and bass,growl like cockie monster,and with that imagen and make up,awful!!! music is art,skills,education,human values etc,i believe in God and what he represents,but not the church,so........i hope that the people that like this kind of bands don't hate me for this it's just a comment.....

Hits total: 16614 | This month: 15