10. Endings And Continuations
11. Gateways [Orchestral version] [Limited Edition/iTunes bonus]
12. The Demiurge Molecule [Orchestral version] [iTunes bonus]
13. Dimmu Borgir [Orchestral version] [bonus]
14. Perfect Strangers [Deep Purple cover] [Hot Topic bonus]
15. D.M.D.R. [GGFH cover] [Hot Topic bonus]
+ Gateways [video] [Digipak/Hot Topic bonus]

Additional info
*The Amazon mp3, Rhapsody, eMusic, Napster digital editions include the bonus track:
- Dimmu Borgir (Orchestral version) (05:35)

The Nuclear Blast USA digipak version includes the "Gateways" video clip and the bonus track:

The Nuclear Blast USA vinyl version includes a double gatefold black vinyl version (180 gram) with the bonus track:

The exclusive Hot Topic jewel-case version includes the "Gateways" video clip, and three bonus tracks:
- Perfect Strangers (Deep Purple cover) (04:01)
- D.M.D.R. (GGFH cover)

The Nuclear Blast USA's exclusive, limited-edition webstore version includes a deluxe metal ammo box (hand-numbered and limited to 350 copies) which includes:
- "Abrahadabra" North American deluxe cross digipak version with one bonus track
- Dimmu Borgir belt buckle
- Dimmu Borgir dog tags
- Poster flag
- Exclusive t-shirt

The Nuclear Blast Europe's exclusive, limited-edition webstore version includes:
Shagrath's mask which is embedded in a big replica of the album cover which includes
- A certificate
- A deluxe boxset Digipack with four bonus tracks
- Perfect Strangers (Deep Purple cover) (04:01)
- D.M.D.R. (GGFH cover)
- Gateways (Orchestral version) (5:43)
- Gateways (Enhanced video)

All European CD versions of the album are including the enhanced Gateways video

Produced by Dimmu Borgir
Drums, Shagrath's and Snowy's vocals were recorded with Daniel Bergstrand in Uppsala, Sweden
Guitars, bass and keyboards were recorded in Oslo, Norway with Russ Russell as the engineer
Mixed and mastered in England by Andy Sneap
Cover artwork by Joachim Luetke

Release dates: Germany - September 24; Rest of Europe - September 27; North America - October 12

Staff review by
Daniell
Rating:
Dimmu Borgir sucks. Dimmu Borgir are sellouts. Dimmu Borgir have a stupid image and idiotic videos. Dimmu Borgir kick members out with no explanation. Dimmu Borgir is only about squeezing cash from stupid kids who are naive enough to buy their albums. They suck, they suck, they suck!

If you believe that any of the above statements are true, you may as well stop reading now. This review will not take into consideration anything other than music. In other words, if you expect a biased review aimed against one of the most popular extreme bands, you'll be better off helping your father cut the lawn or doing dishes for your mum, because you won't find what you're looking for here.

Read more ››
published 23.09.2010 | Comments (129)

Guest review by
Windrider
Rating:
If you like Abrahadabra by Dimmu Borgir you can make two great mistakes like I did. Let me warn you! The first thing is listening to classical music like Mozart or Haydn. It won't take more than a single stroke to realize that all the so-called great orchestrations are simply nothing in comparison to the dead composers. The second big fail is listening to real and raw black metal. To quote the famous snake, if you do something of that, "your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil." This album is neither anything of black metal nor of classical compositions.

Read more ››
published 28.01.2011 | Comments (23)

Guest review by
TheH2K
Rating:
Mustis has departed, and no ICS Vortex clean vocals for the first time since 1999. Can Dimmu Borgir escape from the massive attack of the fans this time?

Traditionally, the album starts with an instrumental piece; however, except for some seconds, it is not appealing at all and far away from masterpieces like "Fear And Wonder", "Perfection Or Vanity" or even "Det Nye Riket".

Read more ››
published 04.06.2020 | Comments (0)

Found in 38 lists
Top lists

Comments page 3 / 7

Comments: 205   Visited by: 1852 users
24.08.2010 - 08:42
Rating: 7
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Hahahaha what I've heard so far is so bad! I think Shaggy's mascara has been absorbed through his face to his brain
25.08.2010 - 00:56
Kratos
Damn, "gateways" was one bad song. Shagraths vocals sounded like a robot and the female vocals were just awful, imo. I have lost all interest in Dimmu Borgir
25.08.2010 - 12:01
Rating: 5
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Kratos on 25.08.2010 at 00:56

Damn, "gateways" was one bad song. Shagraths vocals sounded like a robot and the female vocals were just awful, imo. I have lost all interest in Dimmu Borgir

Then you better start changing that name.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
25.08.2010 - 15:57
s_t_s
Yeah I was already a bit scared not to hear anything from the new album less than one month before its release date, and now that I've listened to Gateways I'm more than disappointed Oki the sound quality is shitty but the song isn't powerful, the female voice is awful and maybe there's just too much of everything (orchestra, keyboards, various voices) and in the end it lacks identity...
26.08.2010 - 02:32
xXxSATANxXx
Alright its conspiracy time, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLhtV_XpEyk that is the fem vocals section of Gateways toned down and it almost sounds like an ex back vocalist
26.08.2010 - 02:49
Kratos
Written by vezzy on 25.08.2010 at 12:01

Written by Kratos on 25.08.2010 at 00:56

Then you better start changing that name.

Lol, probably a good idea, but I still enjoy their older albums.
01.09.2010 - 23:48
Rating: 4
Sepulchre
Lord Hypnos
I actually enjoy Gateways. Reminds me of the Death Cult era, which is some of their best stuff imo.
02.09.2010 - 10:19
Rating: 8
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
So fucking classic. A band that was respected among metal fans becomes very famous, sells a lot of albums, can be seen on TV etc. etc. Suddenly, they suck. It's funny that their sudden suckage coincides with their commercial success. Examples:
Metallica
Dimmu Borgir
Cradle of Filth

Don't get me wrong. I'm not claiming that those bands only release great albums and that we should praise whatever they record, because it's not true. Each band has their ups and downs.
But most people start hating such bands the moment they achieve widespread recognition, and forget their music. Hell, I'm sure that most of those haters don't even listen to the music they bash.
02.09.2010 - 12:36
vezzy
Stallmanite
I still have a soft spot for CoF, because they're what got me into extreme metal, truly.

Dimmu had some decent stuff earlier in their career, but starting with Spiritual Black Dimensions, I've no longer enjoyed them. And I have no idea why so many people like Death Cult Armageddon, it's bad.

Metallica simply sucked after ...AJFA and that wasn't perfect at all either.
----
02.09.2010 - 14:37
RavenKing
Written by Daniell on 02.09.2010 at 10:19

So fucking classic. A band that was respected among metal fans becomes very famous, sells a lot of albums, can be seen on TV etc. etc. Suddenly, they suck. It's funny that their sudden suckage coincides with their commercial success. Examples:
Metallica
Dimmu Borgir
Cradle of Filth

Don't get me wrong. I'm not claiming that those bands only release great albums and that we should praise whatever they record, because it's not true. Each band has their ups and downs.
But most people start hating such bands the moment they achieve widespread recognition, and forget their music. Hell, I'm sure that most of those haters don't even listen to the music they bash.

The true reason why the suckage happens at the same time metal bands start to get commercial success is simple: metal bands achieve commercial success by releasing crap targeted at/appealing to the mainstream. Sad thing is most people have awful musical tastes so the more it sucks, the more they like it.

Call me a hater or an elitist, I don't mind. I judge music for what it is. And, in my book, music from those 3 bands sucks balls nowadays.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
02.09.2010 - 15:04
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by RavenKing on 02.09.2010 at 14:37

Metallica
Dimmu Borgir
Cradle of Filth

The true reason why the suckage happens at the same time metal bands start to get commercial success is simple: metal bands achieve commercial success by releasing crap targeted at/appealing to the mainstream. Sad thing is most people have awful musical tastes so the more it sucks, the more they like it.

Call me a hater or an elitist, I don't mind. I judge music for what it is. And, in my book, music from those 3 bands sucks balls nowadays.

On the contrary CoF's last album was actually very good. In my humble opinion of course.
02.09.2010 - 15:05
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
I second that.
02.09.2010 - 15:08
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
And actually I though Death Magnetic was decent, just about 45 minutes too long.
02.09.2010 - 15:13
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Guest on 02.09.2010 at 15:08

And actually I though Death Magnetic was decent, just about 45 minutes too long.

You and Tom Araya.
----
02.09.2010 - 15:27
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by vezzy on 02.09.2010 at 15:13

You and Tom Araya.

And me. Subtract Judas Kiss, Suicide and Redemption, and Unforgiven 3 and you get a very solid release.
All that Metallica bashing is for reasons I described before. "Hey, it's Metallica, time for mud slinging. Who cares about actually listening to the music."
03.09.2010 - 00:16
RavenKing

Imo, it's just about 75 minutes too long.

But, to be honest, I have to admit that I probably hate commercial mainstream metal like Metallica and Manowar even more than I hate pop music. At least pop music shows itself for what it is, instead of complete poserism (trying to convince people that you're still metal, while you're commercial and mainstream as fuck).
I really despise and can't stand mainstream metal nowadays.
Commercial metal music sucks and this attitude sucks too.
----
05.09.2010 - 09:35
IYAD
I hope it will be great as the old once...coz some of metals bands are going faraway from the begaining
06.09.2010 - 05:40
farfaramir
The new song is like a bad joke... A terrible one, I didn't even wanted to lough.
06.09.2010 - 06:00
RavenKing
Written by farfaramir on 06.09.2010 at 05:40

The new song is like a bad joke... A terrible one, I didn't even wanted to lough.

I think this band itself is a bad joke, and since a long time already. The exact definition of everything that can go wrong with extreme metal. That's what happens when you take something that is not supposed to be widely popular and you try to bring it to the mainstream. You have to water it down so much it's doomed to end up as pure suckage at some point.

Immortal is funny on purpose and the music is good. Genuinely funny.
Dimmu Borgir's image is utter poserism and the music is crap. Lame and not funny at all.
----
06.09.2010 - 09:05
delusionist
I think the song is actually really good (apart from the female vocals). I think it's good that dimmu stay away from the "true" black metal scene (not that they have ever really been there). I used to like the genre, but I think it starts to get really repetitive. What Dimmu did with DCA was perhaps the coolest thing to happen in BM for a while. A post-apocalyptic setting was perfect for their music, and for the first time since For All Tid I think their music sounded atmospheric (that is usually my main reason to listen to music). I was very disappointed when they left this side of their music with In Sorte Diaboli, which was really boring and lacked a good concept.

Gateways gives me the same feeling that DCA did, and restored my faith in this band. I really liked the robotic vocals and the extremely rhythmic parts of the song. The orchestra fitted well to the song, and if they would have kept Vortex for the vocals, the song would have been perfect.
06.09.2010 - 09:45
Angelic Storm
Melodious

Metallica
Dimmu Borgir
Cradle of Filth

I 100% agree with this.

For many metal fans, particularly "underground" metal fans, popular/mainstream automatically = bad. They hate the band/music purely because it is popular, so the actual music itself becomes very much a secondary or even non - issue with people like that. They will claim to hate the music, but the real reason behind the hate is that the band is mainstream and popular. Is it really a coincidence that Metallica happens to be the most hated band for many metal fans when they also happen to be the most popular? l highly doubt that is a coincidence. Now that isnt to say that all people who bash all mainstream/popular metal albums are like that, but without doubt, there are many metal fans who have that attitude. And are merely bandwagon jumping when they bash bands like Metallica etc...
06.09.2010 - 12:25
vezzy
Stallmanite
The answer to that is simple:

Metallica after ...AJFA (or for some, since ...AJFA) blows.

Dimmu Borgir after (or alternatively since) Enthrone Darkness Triumphant blows.

I don't know about you, but I still find myself liking Cradle of Filth because of reasons I've stated before (going as far as to force myself to appreciate Thornography), but can't stand "Lilith Immaculate".

It seems some people assume that hating a popular band automatically = tr00ism, or whatever you want to call it. That is not the case, it simply means the music is watered down, underdeveloped and simply sucks in general, hence it is hated. It's not like everyone's going to become an "open-minded" (read: brainwashed) metal fan who calls every new Cradle/Dimmu/Metallica a goddamn masterpiece.
----
06.09.2010 - 12:39
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by vezzy on 06.09.2010 at 12:25

The answer to that is simple:

Metallica after ...AJFA (or for some, since ...AJFA) blows.

Dimmu Borgir after (or alternatively since) Enthrone Darkness Triumphant blows.

I don't know about you, but I still find myself liking Cradle of Filth because of reasons I've stated before (going as far as to force myself to appreciate Thornography), but can't stand "Lilith Immaculate".

It seems some people assume that hating a popular band automatically = tr00ism, or whatever you want to call it. That is not the case, it simply means the music is watered down, underdeveloped and simply sucks in general, hence it is hated. It's not like everyone's going to become an "open-minded" (read: brainwashed) metal fan who calls every new Cradle/Dimmu/Metallica a goddamn masterpiece.

You had to force yourself to like it? Why?

I never said hating a popular band automatically = tr00ism, just that in many cases it is.

Open minded metal fans are "brainwashed"? That actually made me laugh out loud. Brainwashed by who? lol Its been quite a while since I read such a wildly misinformed and ridiculous comment. I dont think every album by those bands is a masterpiece, and I can't get why you think me or daniell_p were suggesting that if you dont do that you're a bandwagon jumper.
06.09.2010 - 12:53
vezzy
Stallmanite
Because I wanted to.

Hence the quotation marks (in other words, they overrate bad albums and excuse themselves as open-minded). At the constant rate you're promoting this thing about how hating popular bands correlating with tr00ism, it gets kind of boring to read. You desperately need something new. Bottom line is, if a popular band is hated by someone, chances are he hates the music, and it is of much lower quality than the earlier works.
----
06.09.2010 - 13:09
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by vezzy on 06.09.2010 at 12:53

Because I wanted to.

Hence the quotation marks (in other words, they overrate bad albums and excuse themselves as open-minded). At the constant rate you're promoting this thing about how hating popular bands correlating with tr00ism, it gets kind of boring to read. You desperately need something new. Bottom line is, if a popular band is hated by someone, chances are he hates the music, and it is of much lower quality than the earlier works.

Okay lol

Overrating/underrating a band/music is nothing more than personal opinion.

I need something new? lol You jump down my throat, yet you chose to ignore daniell_p for basically saying the same thing as me. Why not have a go at him?

Boring to who? Its funny how its only you who constantly harangues me. Either Im touching a raw nerve with you, or you just have some personal problem with me, (I have no idea what that is) or maybe its both. But either way, Im sick of you targeting me at every opportunity you can get. Other people have said the same things I am, yet you dont have a go at them in the same way as you do with me. Give it a rest.
06.09.2010 - 13:26
vezzy
Stallmanite
Okay, fine.

*attacks daniell_p for making that statement*

All is well.
----
06.09.2010 - 13:33
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Geez... lol

It is a valid point. You dont make a big deal about other people saying it, so you shouldnt be doing it with me either. Either be consistent and rail on anyone who says that, or leave me alone.
06.09.2010 - 13:35
vezzy
Stallmanite
Technically I responded to both of you, even if partly, as you never explicitly mentioned Cradle, Dimmu or Metallica.
----
06.09.2010 - 13:50
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by vezzy on 06.09.2010 at 13:35

Technically I responded to both of you, even if partly, as you never explicitly mentioned Cradle, Dimmu or Metallica.

Your "response" to him was nowhere near as direct and as confrontational in tone as it was towards me. And I did mention Metallica twice in the post you responded to.

And all I did, was agree with the points made in his post. And there are many other people that share that view. Its not just me you know.
06.09.2010 - 15:34
RavenKing
Written by Angelic Storm on 06.09.2010 at 09:45

I 100% agree with this.

For many metal fans, particularly "underground" metal fans, popular/mainstream automatically = bad. They hate the band/music purely because it is popular, so the actual music itself becomes very much a secondary or even non - issue with people like that. They will claim to hate the music, but the real reason behind the hate is that the band is mainstream and popular. Is it really a coincidence that Metallica happens to be the most hated band for many metal fans when they also happen to be the most popular? l highly doubt that is a coincidence. Now that isnt to say that all people who bash all mainstream/popular metal albums are like that, but without doubt, there are many metal fans who have that attitude. And are merely bandwagon jumping when they bash bands like Metallica etc...

OK. Let's make things clear once and for all and stop people from fighting about this matter.

Sure, for some people, popular/mainstream automatically = bad. But it's only a small minority. Most people who hate Metallica or Dimmu Borgir (or any other well-known metal band) hate the music, first and foremost. For lots of people, many popular metal bands suck after x or y album. Or always sucked for them, even long before the band became popular.
Usually, when people hate a band they hate their music at the first place.

And, while there are blind haters, there is also an awful lot of blind followers who judge only by name and not by the quality of the material. Sheeps who follow the mainstream herd. Conformists.

In my case, the reason I hate many popular metal bands is simple: I think their music sucks. Period.

Also, while I agree that overrated/underrated is usually a personal matter and subjective, it reaches such a ridiculous level at times when it comes to famous bands that it's not subjective anymore. Like I said a while ago, some bands could wrap a turd in bag, put the band logo on it and it would probably sell.
----

Hits total: 52139 | This month: 85