10. Endings And Continuations
11. Gateways [Orchestral version] [Limited Edition/iTunes bonus]
12. The Demiurge Molecule [Orchestral version] [iTunes bonus]
13. Dimmu Borgir [Orchestral version] [bonus]
14. Perfect Strangers [Deep Purple cover] [Hot Topic bonus]
15. D.M.D.R. [GGFH cover] [Hot Topic bonus]
+ Gateways [video] [Digipak/Hot Topic bonus]

Additional info
*The Amazon mp3, Rhapsody, eMusic, Napster digital editions include the bonus track:
- Dimmu Borgir (Orchestral version) (05:35)

The Nuclear Blast USA digipak version includes the "Gateways" video clip and the bonus track:

The Nuclear Blast USA vinyl version includes a double gatefold black vinyl version (180 gram) with the bonus track:

The exclusive Hot Topic jewel-case version includes the "Gateways" video clip, and three bonus tracks:
- Perfect Strangers (Deep Purple cover) (04:01)
- D.M.D.R. (GGFH cover)

The Nuclear Blast USA's exclusive, limited-edition webstore version includes a deluxe metal ammo box (hand-numbered and limited to 350 copies) which includes:
- "Abrahadabra" North American deluxe cross digipak version with one bonus track
- Dimmu Borgir belt buckle
- Dimmu Borgir dog tags
- Poster flag
- Exclusive t-shirt

The Nuclear Blast Europe's exclusive, limited-edition webstore version includes:
Shagrath's mask which is embedded in a big replica of the album cover which includes
- A certificate
- A deluxe boxset Digipack with four bonus tracks
- Perfect Strangers (Deep Purple cover) (04:01)
- D.M.D.R. (GGFH cover)
- Gateways (Orchestral version) (5:43)
- Gateways (Enhanced video)

All European CD versions of the album are including the enhanced Gateways video

Produced by Dimmu Borgir
Drums, Shagrath's and Snowy's vocals were recorded with Daniel Bergstrand in Uppsala, Sweden
Guitars, bass and keyboards were recorded in Oslo, Norway with Russ Russell as the engineer
Mixed and mastered in England by Andy Sneap
Cover artwork by Joachim Luetke

Release dates: Germany - September 24; Rest of Europe - September 27; North America - October 12

Staff review by
Daniell
Rating:
Dimmu Borgir sucks. Dimmu Borgir are sellouts. Dimmu Borgir have a stupid image and idiotic videos. Dimmu Borgir kick members out with no explanation. Dimmu Borgir is only about squeezing cash from stupid kids who are naive enough to buy their albums. They suck, they suck, they suck!

If you believe that any of the above statements are true, you may as well stop reading now. This review will not take into consideration anything other than music. In other words, if you expect a biased review aimed against one of the most popular extreme bands, you'll be better off helping your father cut the lawn or doing dishes for your mum, because you won't find what you're looking for here.

Read more ››
published 23.09.2010 | Comments (129)

Guest review by
Windrider
Rating:
If you like Abrahadabra by Dimmu Borgir you can make two great mistakes like I did. Let me warn you! The first thing is listening to classical music like Mozart or Haydn. It won't take more than a single stroke to realize that all the so-called great orchestrations are simply nothing in comparison to the dead composers. The second big fail is listening to real and raw black metal. To quote the famous snake, if you do something of that, "your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil." This album is neither anything of black metal nor of classical compositions.

Read more ››
published 28.01.2011 | Comments (23)

Guest review by
TheH2K
Rating:
Mustis has departed, and no ICS Vortex clean vocals for the first time since 1999. Can Dimmu Borgir escape from the massive attack of the fans this time?

Traditionally, the album starts with an instrumental piece; however, except for some seconds, it is not appealing at all and far away from masterpieces like "Fear And Wonder", "Perfection Or Vanity" or even "Det Nye Riket".

Read more ››
published 04.06.2020 | Comments (0)

Found in 38 lists
Top lists

Comments page 4 / 7

Comments: 204   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 1845 users
06.09.2010 - 15:47
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by RavenKing on 06.09.2010 at 15:34
And, while there are blind haters, there is also an awful lot of blind followers who judge only by name and not by the quality of the material. Sheeps who follow the mainstream herd. Conformists.

Sheeps and posers are found both in the mainstream, AND in underground metal circles, I think many underground metal fans think they are exempt from being those things, purely because they hate anything thats popular and mainstream. At the end of the day, its all about people being fake, and trying to appease their peers. Even if that means compromising their own genuine opinions/views in order to do that. This occurs in all walks of life, and in all types of music fans. Conformity in metal fans is not exclusively the realm of blind fanboys. Blind haters/blind fanboys, its all the same to me, and equally pathetic.
06.09.2010 - 15:50
Rating: 5
vezzy
Stallmanite
I like to think of it more as "I'm sick of this shit, I'm sick of it all, time to hop into the underground..."

And you never come back... you just keep on going.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
06.09.2010 - 15:50
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by RavenKing on 06.09.2010 at 15:34
Like I said a while ago, some bands could wrap a turd in bag, put the band logo on it and it would probably sell.

Well, I certainly woudnt argue with that, that is perfectly true. lol
06.09.2010 - 15:59
delusionist

I don't see the point with this whole mainstream debate. If we take Dimmu as an example, in what way has their music become worse? And now I mean musically worse. If you don't like a band for its music, then fine. But if you want to throw shit at a bands music, you better explain why it's bad.

Going mainstream doesn't have to mean worse music. "True" black metal is pherhaps one of the most overrated genres (when talking about music). It has a grim and dark feeling, but lots of it comes from other aspects than music (bad production shouldn't be a positive thing, if I want it, why not just break my speakers). In a way it's comparable to pop, in which you use and image to sell your sub-par music.

Now Dimmu is a band thats based on this very image, but I do think they produce good music too. Their sound has matured from the awful synths of Enthroned, and they are IMO one of the few bands that use an orchestra well. I simply can't see how their music is worse than before. ISD was a step backwards, but now they seem to be going forward again, and it's a good thing.
06.09.2010 - 16:05
RavenKing

Written by Angelic Storm on 06.09.2010 at 15:47

Sheeps and posers are found both in the mainstream, AND in underground metal circles, I think many underground metal fans think they are exempt from being those things, purely because they hate anything thats popular and mainstream. At the end of the day, its all about people being fake, and trying to appease their peers. Even if that means compromising their own genuine opinions/views in order to do that. This occurs in all walks of life, and in all types of music fans. Conformity in metal fans is not exclusively the realm of blind fanboys. Blind haters/blind fanboys, its all the same to me, and equally pathetic.

Sure, there are posers among elitists or tr00 kvlt metal fans. That's the difference between being an elitist and a purist, imo.
An elitist will often base his/her appreciation more on external or superficial factors than on the music itself.
A purist will base his/her appreciation first and foremost on the music itself and the other factors will play a little role in the balance.

In that sense, I'm much more a purist than an elitist, I think.
I've been active on extreme metal forums, so I met lots of tr00 kvlt kids who seem to desperately try to get acceptance and recognition and gave me the impression they didn't listen to the music they praised.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
06.09.2010 - 16:09
vezzy
Stallmanite
"True" black metal can't be overrated if not many actually listen to it. The bad production was originally supposed to be a way to rebel against mainstream music. Worst amp, worst mic, etc. Although depends on which demo, EP, album you pick. If it's Pure Fucking Armageddon, I understand, if it's Deathcrush, that's perfectly listenable. How do you use images to "sell your music" anyway? Lots of these BM records have limited release and the best way to get them is download via Rapidshare or something.. all because there's a "HailSatan666" stereotype doesn't mean all underground BM is like that, nor is it used as an image to market anything.

Dimmu Borgir were a passable/decent BM act initially, but they then overdid the whole orchestra thing (no, they don't use it well). Nowadays they're pretty much typical BM chord progressions, blast beats, orchestra and that's kind of it. I don't see it as their sound having matured. It's really easy accessible, dulled down and some songs are downright symphonic metal ("Progenies of The Great Apocalypse", which also happens to be their most popular).
----
06.09.2010 - 16:22
delusionist

Sure it can be overrated. Maybe I don't understand the concept. People praise it for un musical reasons. Most of it is really bad and unimaginative (music wise). I'm really fed up with people who complain about "clean production". Why would you produce music with a lower quality than you can. I do know why they (BM bands) did it, I just think it is really stupid.

I think dimmu has been getting better with every release (again apart from ISD). How id their music mainstream. I might be messing up the words again, but to me mainstream does not mean having the most listners, but doing what everyone else does. That is what the BM scene is usually about. They sing about the same stuff as everyone else and compete about who can have the worst productian and still pass it as music.

Name another band that does similar music as dimmu. I'm not saying they are unique, and that their music is that special. Just that it's better than it used to be.
06.09.2010 - 16:31
vezzy
Stallmanite
Wait, they actually compete for worst production?... Uhuh. It depends, really. Some of it has a certain aesthetic or atmosphere or whatever that can be enjoyed. If it's a bedroom BM act, it can be ignored. If it's a sub-par demo by a band that would later become a big BM name, it's usually treasured for "historical significance".

Well then, if you think so, I do believe your tastes are rather different... (and not in a good way, I think). Mainstream music is anything that can appeal to the average joe or mass consumers. Mostly catchy and simplistic music but with some sort of hook. The BM "ideology" rejects that.

The whole blast beat bombardment and cold booming progressions they use can be compared to Marduk and Immortal, I guess (only to some degree). Only Dimmu overuse orchestral elements and are far more accessible. But in many of their songs they're similar to Cradle of Filth, especially in their new single Gateways.
----
06.09.2010 - 16:39
RavenKing

Written by delusionist on 06.09.2010 at 16:22

I'm really fed up with people who complain about "clean production". Why would you produce music with a lower quality than you can.

Because that's the way metal is supposed to sound. Metal is not supposed to sound too good. If you polish the sound too much, it just sounds sterile and utterly boring because there is no authenticity left.
If metal sounds computerized, sorry but it automatically sucks, in my mind.
----
06.09.2010 - 16:44
vezzy
Stallmanite
To be honest, many times people complain of "bad production", it actually turns out to be good, unless it simply does sound like it was recorded by plugging a Walkman into a speaker.

For example, Welcome to Hell is often considered by professional reviewers to have "terrible production", which makes it obvious that they've never actually heard a metal demo.
----
06.09.2010 - 16:49
delusionist

I still don't see a reason to produce music at a lower quality. I don't think it gives it any more atmosphere. You can actually create dark and cold music with good sound quality, it's just a little harder.

My point is that I don't see the problem with being mainstream. If your music is good and lots of people like that, then fine. BM is usually really simple music and the whole BM image is really rediculous. Rebelling against religion with religious symbols, not very mature. Dimmu is doing the same thing, and that's one of the worst aspects of this band. At least they do it i a self-parodic way.

I guess it comes down to taste then. Sure, it's not as if they are creating the greatest classical music masterpieces, but I actually like what they are doing with the orchestra. It's possible it sounds like cradle, but the differences are a lot bigger than between many BM bands. The orchstra sounds a lot better than a synth, and that's enough reason to use it.
06.09.2010 - 17:09
vezzy
Stallmanite
ANY genre of music can be deemed "really simple". Hip hop can be stripped down to generating a basic beat and speaking fast to it, black metal - strumming inverted power chords, grindcore - strumming a few chords and pulling some open strings, traditional heavy metal - just play some generic hard riffs and add a bluesy solo.

The inverted cross thing is indeed ironic, but it seems to tick some people off. I think it originated from slapping those crucified Jesus sculptures and turning them upside down, which is seen as offensive. Not sure. The pentagram is now pretty much the typical occult symbol. It also has a connection with LaVeyan Satanism.

Self-parodic way? Funny you mention it, as Dimmu are pretty much self-parodies now. Reduced to a joke.
----
06.09.2010 - 17:16
Got Mayhem?

There really isn't a good reason to argue that Metal either HAS to be gritty or HAS to be clean. Different types of music can typically appeal to more people with a certain production value but if there is anything that Metal has shown over the years is that rules are meant to be broken.

Take a look at the Black/Thrash sound of early Mayhem, Venom, Merciless, and other first and early second wavers. These bands had energy in their sound that, in my opinion, was truly one of a kind. No bands have come close to matching the raw intensity of "Deathcrush" or "Behind the Black Door" and I believe that production plays a big role in that.

Now, at the same time I don't want to listen to prog that sounds like it was recorded on a washboard. Genre can dictate a general production sound, which is a good thing in many cases (like prog). However, that's a general rule, not a law. On the topic of Symphonic/Orchestral BM, you CAN have a raw sound (Obtained Enslavement) or you can have a polished to hell one (Dimmu Borgir). Neither case is 'wrong' and both bands have shown that they can do wonderfully with either.
----
06.09.2010 - 17:23
delusionist

Not all genres are simple. I'm not saying my musical taste is above anyone elses, just different. As genres I don't like the ones you said. I don't like the in your face attitude of metal. I like the melodic and melancholic parts. Maybe dimmu isn't the most complex band, but I think the music thay make today is more interesting than it used to be, and deifnently more complx than troo BM.

I'm not sure if you understood me correctly. I meant that dimmus image is a big joke, and I think they are aware of it. Hating christianity is fine, but the way they do it just makes them (BM scene) seem pathetic. Sure it's funny to see the church's reaction, but there are far better ways of opposing religion.
06.09.2010 - 17:51
RavenKing

Written by delusionist on 06.09.2010 at 17:23

I don't like the in your face attitude of metal.

No wonder our tastes have nothing in common, then, if you think like that. Imo, it's precisely this in-your-face attitude that is the soul of metal music. Without it, metal is nothing, from my point of view.
----
06.09.2010 - 18:47
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by RavenKing on 06.09.2010 at 16:05
Sure, there are posers among elitists or tr00 kvlt metal fans. That's the difference between being an elitist and a purist, imo.
An elitist will often base his/her appreciation more on external or superficial factors than on the music itself.
A purist will base his/her appreciation first and foremost on the music itself and the other factors will play a little role in the balance.

In that sense, I'm much more a purist than an elitist, I think.
I've been active on extreme metal forums, so I met lots of tr00 kvlt kids who seem to desperately try to get acceptance and recognition and gave me the impression they didn't listen to the music they praised.

You have hit the nail right on the head there, and that is precisely why I have such a big problem with elitist mindsets. They often allow external and superficial factors to effect how they see the music. So it becomes impossible for them to judge certain bands/albums purely on musical terms, because they allow completely non-musical factors and biases to cloud their judgement.

For me, the only thing that has ever mattered to me, is purely the music. How popular/underground a band is, or other people's opinions play absolutely no part in how I judge an album. I have been bashed by both elitists, and fanboys, either for criticising at all, or not criticising enough. But imo, once you start allowing others to dictate your musical tastes/opinions, even if that is in the slightest way, thats when you become a sheep/conformist.

As for the concept of overrating/underrating certain bands, its actually an extremely moot concept. Because there is no way a popular band can be underrated, even if they are great, and there's no way an unpopular band can be overrated, even if they suck. So as a valid arguement over the worth of certain bands, the underrated/overrated thing really holds no water in any such debates.
06.09.2010 - 19:16
RavenKing

Written by Angelic Storm on 06.09.2010 at 18:47

You have hit the nail right on the head there, and that is precisely why I have such a big problem with elitist mindsets. They allow external and superficial factors to effect how they see the music. So it becomes impossible for them to judge certain bands/albums purely on musical terms, because they allow completely non-musical factors and biases to cloud their judgement.

That's exactly what fanboys are doing all the time. Allowing tons of external factors to cloud their judgment, making them unable to criticize and see when music from a band they love sucks. For them, even the crappiest shit is good by definition, as it comes from a band they label as great. And it's, imo, even worse than elitism, because it contributes to a decrease in musical quality. And that's why I can stand elitists but I utterly despise fanboys. At least most (not all) elitists have a certain level of criticism. But elitists are far from flawless.

Written by Angelic Storm on 06.09.2010 at 18:47

As for the concept of overrating/underrating certain bands, its actually an extremely moot concept. Because there is no way a popular band can be underrated, even if they are great, and there's no way an unpopular band can be overrated, even if they suck. So as a valid arguement over the worth of certain bands, the underrated/overrated thing really holds no water in any such debates.

That's the way I see it too.
----
06.09.2010 - 19:39
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by RavenKing on 06.09.2010 at 19:16
That's exactly what fanboys are doing all the time. Allowing tons of external factors to cloud their judgment, making them unable to criticize and see when music from a band they love sucks. For them, even the crappiest shit is good by definition, as it comes from a band they label as great. And it's, imo, even worse than elitism, because it contributes to a decrease in musical quality. And that's why I can stand elitists but I utterly despise fanboys. At least most (not all) elitists have a certain level of criticism. But elitists are far from flawless.

You are of course totally correct, but blind fanboys are very easy targets. Its like, "album X is by band B, therefore it must be great". Its a very shallow and silly attitude, and very easy to criticise. Elitists however, come across as feeling their opinions/views are superior, and in certain cases, total fact and beyond reproach. And I find any such stance, particularly when its to do with something like validity and worth in music, to be quite ridiculous. Elitists are certainly far from flawless, which is exactly the opposite of what they think they are. I think with elitists my annoyance comes from them thinking they are some sort of higher authority on whole genres of metal, and indeed metal itself. Wheras fanboys usually only think they are a higher authority when it comes to opinions on their favourite bands. I would agree that as a whole, and in general, fanboys are worse than elitists, but there is a certain section of elitism which is just as bad and annoying as fanboyism.
08.09.2010 - 05:22
Wishmaster
Account deleted
Gateways starts well, then meh.
08.09.2010 - 16:48
Rating: 7
Shadowcross
The Summoner
Who is the female vocalist on
'Gateways' ?
08.09.2010 - 20:32
Rating: 7
Shadowcross
The Summoner
Written by Guest on 08.09.2010 at 19:24

Written by Shadowcross on 08.09.2010 at 16:48

'Gateways' ?

Someone of those youtube review guys said she's from norwegian band called Animal Alpha. I'm pretty sure that the other female voice on the song is some other female.

Thanks for the response the lady in the chorus who screams reminds me of Opera IX's vocalist..
10.09.2010 - 03:50
Wishmaster
Account deleted
Written by Shadowcross on 08.09.2010 at 16:48

'Gateways' ?

Agnete Kjølsrud.

Agnete Kjølsrud (Born 1. December 1976) Is the lead singer of hard rock band Djerv . Band has released an EP " Headstone "on their own lable , and has received very good response from both home and abroad. In the summer of 2010 they were booked to Øyafestivalen on the basis of a demo. This gave the band a busy summer. We know also from Agnete psycobillybandet Animal Alpha, Which was disbanded in January 2009 . Animal Alpha toured a great deal in 2008 and played at festivals like Rock am Ring , Rock im Park , Download , Pinkpop , Pukkelpop , island , etc. . The band released an EP and two albums, which album " Pheremones "and the EP was recorded with super producer Sylvia Massey ( Tool, SOAD , RHCP , Johnny Cash , etc. ) in Weed , California.

Agnete has also contributed on several boards ; 2010 - Dimmu Borgir , " Abrahadabra " 2010 - Solefald , 2007 - El Caco " From Dirt "2005 - Black Debbath , When We Dead Rocker on track By The Death Bed Of Mother Aase ' 2005 - Bermuda Triangle,

Agnete considered to be one of the most talented and charismatic vocalists.

-Wikipedia (translated)
14.09.2010 - 20:58
His Eminence
Account deleted
I actually like the Gateways single, but then again my tastes tend to lean towards the mainstream anyway. It's obviously not going to top Enthrone Darkness Triumphant, but I still enjoy it.
17.09.2010 - 13:38
Rating: 9
ozieb

Born Treacherous is much better, just listen to it here
http://soundcloud.com/nuclearblastrecords/dimmu-borgir-born-treacherous
21.09.2010 - 15:21
Pap

Their first four studio albums were really good since then the only thing that a new DM album offers is mediocrity, repetition and lack of inspiration. Not to mention that they compete Lady Gaga to the question who is the most ridiculous musician you know!!!!
23.09.2010 - 05:19
BloodFireDeath

Pfft I don't know what you are all whining about but i am going to have a TON of fun with this album. I love Dimmu. They can put together some really compelling and memorable music. As for production, it should suit the style of the music or the sound of the record. Look at Iced Earth. Their Glorious Burden had abysmal production but it fit the sound of the album. But like i said this album is gonna be fun and its gonna make me happy haha.:banger2:
----
Goodspeed on the Devils Thunder
23.09.2010 - 20:21
Rating: 10
Vonpire

Written by Daniell on 02.09.2010 at 10:19

So fucking classic. A band that was respected among metal fans becomes very famous, sells a lot of albums, can be seen on TV etc. etc. Suddenly, they suck. It's funny that their sudden suckage coincides with their commercial success. Examples:
Metallica
Dimmu Borgir
Cradle of Filth

Don't get me wrong. I'm not claiming that those bands only release great albums and that we should praise whatever they record, because it's not true. Each band has their ups and downs.
But most people start hating such bands the moment they achieve widespread recognition, and forget their music. Hell, I'm sure that most of those haters don't even listen to the music they bash.

That's so true!

It's fun to hate somel bands. They seem cooler that way...:hopeless:

If this was from an totally unknown band it would be titled "masterpiece, great work, amazing, bla bla bla"...

Pff

I hate as much "Elitists" as "fanboys". I prefer listen to music and make my own opinion. That's why i don't give a shit to all comments coming from either one of those sides. Most of the times they suck and only are based on hate / blind love for a particular band (specially the most famous), and had nothing to do with the music/album in itself.

So to any hater / fanboy i let here my antecipated answer :
----
Beware the Shadows of Dusk
23.09.2010 - 20:28
Kamilbolt
Account deleted
Agree with you Vonpire.

New album is great with every listen and I can already tell, that fans especially of PEM and DCA should be satisfied.
It's interesting, that female made better clean vocals than other guests
23.09.2010 - 22:17
theregnar
Account deleted
Written by Vonpire on 23.09.2010 at 20:21

Written by Daniell on 02.09.2010 at 10:19

So fucking classic. A band that was respected among metal fans becomes very famous, sells a lot of albums, can be seen on TV etc. etc. Suddenly, they suck. It's funny that their sudden suckage coincides with their commercial success. Examples:
Metallica
Dimmu Borgir
Cradle of Filth

Don't get me wrong. I'm not claiming that those bands only release great albums and that we should praise whatever they record, because it's not true. Each band has their ups and downs.
But most people start hating such bands the moment they achieve widespread recognition, and forget their music. Hell, I'm sure that most of those haters don't even listen to the music they bash.

That's so true!

It's fun to hate somel bands. They seem cooler that way...:hopeless:

If this was from an totally unknown band it would be titled "masterpiece, great work, amazing, bla bla bla"...

Pff

I hate as much "Elitists" as "fanboys". I prefer listen to music and make my own opinion. That's why i don't give a shit to all comments coming from either one of those sides. Most of the times they suck and only are based on hate / blind love for a particular band (specially the most famous), and had nothing to do with the music/album in itself.

So to any hater / fanboy i let here my antecipated answer :

agreed. elitists usually suck ass
24.09.2010 - 13:31
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Vonpire on 23.09.2010 at 20:21

That argument doesn't work.
----

Hits total: 52051 | This month: 79