12. Elisabeth Bathory [Tormentor cover]
13. Where Dead Angels Lie [demo]
14. Antichrist [Slayer cover]
15. Son Of The Mourning

Top 20 albums of 1995: 2
Top 200 albums of all time: 19

Additional info
Produced by Dissection.
Composed and arranged during hours of darkness in 1993-95.
Recorded between the 17th and 30th of March 1995 at Hellspawn/Unisound Studios, Sweden.
Recording engineer: Dan Swanö.
Remastered from the original master tapes by Håkan Åkesson at Cutting Room.
Cover art by Necrolord.

Staff review by
KwonVerge
Rating:
Dissection is a cult name in the world of extreme metal. In a time when Euronymous and the Inner Circle had declared war to false black and death metal, "The Somberlain" and the first demos of the band exploded like dynamites in the underground scene combining the groove and aggression of death metal with the essence and grim feeling of black metal. Jon Nodtveidt and his nocturnal companions had achieved something extremely difficult for the current time, they had become acceptable by both the death and black metal audience shaking the underground scene.

Read more ››
published 26.12.2004 | Comments (31)

Found in 128 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 63   Visited by: 2507 users
13.08.2014 - 19:49
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 13.08.2014 at 19:17

Well it's, like, discussion you know? I think it's an interesting point that one of the most revered black metal albums in history is actually more of a melodeath one.

Well, they've always sounded black to me, both Somberlain and this one. Not that I'm very good with genres, though. Black metal-esque image, atmosphere; I think the fact that they came from Sweden is one of the main things that separates them from the Scandinavian black wave of that time.
13.08.2014 - 19:52
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 13.08.2014 at 19:49

Well, they've always sounded black to me, both Somberlain and this one. Not that I'm very good with genres, though. Black metal-esque image, atmosphere; I think the fact that they came from Sweden is one of the main things that separates them from the Scandinavian black wave of that time.

I agree, black image, vocals, production, lyrics (I imagine) but musically I get a distinct melodeath thing here. Even more so with their last album.
22.08.2014 - 18:25
Rating: 8
Dr. Strawberry
Written by Dr. Strawberry on 12.08.2014 at 20:05

After listening to this album so many times in so many years...I still think this album is damn overrated !

( Sorry, I was talking about Somberlain, posted wrongly )
05.09.2014 - 23:54
Rating: 10
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by deadone on 14.08.2014 at 03:15

I can see it's not true Black Metal. But it certainly has a more Black "vibe". I think Melodic BM is far more appropriate than Melodic DM.

I actually agree with you entirely here. I'd call this album MBM, but never a pure MDM album. There are definitely elements of melodic death in here, however the drumming style, the chord structures and chord progression as well as the production, theme, and vocals are all predominantly "black metal". I used to know how to play the entire album on guitar, and it was very very similar to playing something along the lines of Emperor or Rotting Christ (earlier), just more melodic and accessible sounding.
08.09.2014 - 04:00
Lord_Regnier
Written by Alex F on 05.09.2014 at 23:54

Written by deadone on 14.08.2014 at 03:15

I can see it's not true Black Metal. But it certainly has a more Black "vibe". I think Melodic BM is far more appropriate than Melodic DM.

I actually agree with you entirely here. I'd call this album MBM, but never a pure MDM album. There are definitely elements of melodic death in here, however the drumming style, the chord structures and chord progression as well as the production, theme, and vocals are all predominantly "black metal". I used to know how to play the entire album on guitar, and it was very very similar to playing something along the lines of Emperor or Rotting Christ (earlier), just more melodic and accessible sounding.

"The Somberlain" and "Storm Of The Light's Bane" are MBM. "Reinkaos" is MDM (and the album sucks).
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
08.09.2014 - 04:13
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
One of the more pointless genre debates - is Dissection melodic black metal or melodic death metal? There's no one or the other with the first two albums, as both have elements of black and death metal.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
08.09.2014 - 09:19
Rating: 9
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 08.09.2014 at 04:13

One of the more pointless genre debates - is Dissection melodic black metal or melodic death metal? There's no one or the other with the first two albums, as both have elements of black and death metal.

Agreed, that's the very reason why I love the first two albums that much. The balance is almost perfect and the band plays on the strength of both genres.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
20.11.2014 - 06:41
Love this album to death.
----
"You travel within the glory of my memories, insect. I can feel your fear as you tread the endless expanse of my mind. Make yourself comfortable... before long I will decorate my home with your carcass."
30.08.2015 - 17:07
Masterpiece! Perhaps the best black metal album of all time.
11.03.2019 - 23:18
pokemonation
Outstanding
14.06.2019 - 11:38
The Entity
One of my all-time favorite albums, a masterpiece!
----
https://enigmaticalofficial.bandcamp.com/
Industrial / Cosmic Black Metal
27.06.2019 - 15:40
Theodore V
Account deleted
Night's blood might actually be the best song ever written... Sends chills down my spine for the entire duration of the song every single time I listen to it...
08.07.2019 - 17:58
21.04.2020 - 11:30
Brutal Water
(After making an account over half a year ago, this here is my first post. I just have to ask since this has been bothering me for such a long time.)

Has anybody else noticed this... glitch (?) which sounds like a skipping record needle that happens during Where Dead Angels Lie around the 3:37 mark? It's present in the original release as well as in the remaster. As far as I can tell it's not in the demo version (from the EP) or in the alternate mix on the bonus disc. I would have expected the remaster to fix this, but apparently it's a part of the song now.

What's up with that? Was it left in deliberately to add an element of poor BM-style production qualities or is it simply an oversight that nobody is ever talking about?
----
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.
13.05.2020 - 23:19
Redel
Written by Brutal Water on 21.04.2020 at 11:30

Has anybody else noticed this... glitch (?) which sounds like a skipping record needle that happens during Where Dead Angels Lie around the 3:37 mark? It's present in the original release as well as in the remaster.

It is not in the digital version that I own (probably bought at amazon several years ago).
13.05.2020 - 23:50
Redel
Just saw that I never commented on this album.
It is a great one, which I guess is common knowledge.
I love the title track, Where dead angels lie, and of course the ingenious Night's Blood.
The rest unfortunately doesnt give me that much. Overall an 8.2 for me.
I slightly prefer their debut.
28.10.2020 - 21:29
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
Quite a perfect album, amongst my favorites in black metal, there's nothing I'd change here, it's absolutely full of bngers, my favorites being night's blood and soulreaper. It's actually the album that made me love black metal, I wasn't really interested in the genre until hearing that one and my god am I glad I ever stumbled upon it. Absolute masterpiece.
23.04.2021 - 13:42
nonZero
Absolutely incredible album fully deserving of it's reputation as one of the best (if not the best) black metal albums ever made.

9.5/10 learning slightly towards a 9 for me.
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)
30.04.2021 - 12:58
antvre
The greatest black metal album finally on spotify
18.07.2021 - 06:45
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
This is the greatest black metal album of all time! (Since the specific categorization is debatable, it might also be the best death metal album of all time!)
Every second, every instrument, every note, every drum beat is perfect. The lyrics are a perfect mix of evil and wintry darkness. The vocals are chilling (but unlike most black metal, here it's actually audible and coherent!). The guitar riffs are sometimes super heavy and sometimes elegant and melodic. The drums are also insane (just listen to the beginning of the title track!).
The title of the album is fitting because it is in fact a storm!
To start and end with these haunting (yet very different) instrumentals was a genius idea: the first track has this ominous building tension that explodes once the second track starts. The rest of the album is unrelenting and never gives you a break until it trickles out and elegantly fades away with the last piano keys being played...
This is a masterpiece with no flaws. 10/10
15.12.2021 - 01:45
Alakazam
spendin' cheese
I love how this is the most popular album I've seen used as user icons.

It's impossible to not get emotions riveting in being swayed whenever revisiting this masterpiece. Meanwhile, single-handedly trumping the entire Gothenburg scene alone. If a ranking ever comes up and it's included, Crimson comes close.
----
I may not have the largest collection but I certainly have the absolute best

01.02.2022 - 22:08
chomskeet
Hard to do better than this one, even to this day I loop it all the time, one of the first albums that really got me into black metal
03.03.2022 - 09:07
Rinbel
When someone tells me perfection doesn't exist, I always think of this album.
04.04.2022 - 15:34
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
I own the "Ultimate Reissue" 2006 double-CD version and absolutely love the cover song of Slayer's "Antichrist"! Dissection create a perfect mix of their blackened style and Slayer's fun thrash, while retaining the original pure energy! Give it a listen if you haven't already:
04.04.2022 - 16:55
gavdann
Written by F3ynman2000 on 04.04.2022 at 15:34

I own the "Ultimate Reissue" 2006 double-CD version

I'm still on the hunt for a vinyl copy. It must be due another reissue?
22.04.2022 - 21:28
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Written by gavdann on 04.04.2022 at 16:55

Maybe. In terms of reissues, I'm hoping for The Nocturnal Silence by Necrophobic.
I hope you get your hands on this Dissection double-CD. The alternate mixes on the second CD are really interesting. The drums are far more prominent; it made me really appreciate the drummer's skill! It's also an interesting choice to throw in "Feather's Fell" in between tracks 5 and 6. It was on The Somberlain the instrumental closing track, but here it is the version from the Where Dead Angels Lie EP, in which the song has spoken lyrics too!
23.04.2022 - 15:41
gavdann
Written by F3ynman2000 on 22.04.2022 at 21:28

I hope you get your hands on this Dissection double-CD.

I don't buy CDs. I've got hundreds of them but I don't play them as it's all available on the streaming sites and I have a couple of Sonos players. That and I don't actually own a CD player anymore. Maybe one day I'll buy another player and start again but for now I'm happy paying over the odds to revisit the vinyl experience.
24.05.2022 - 11:38
Jack_Torrance

Same for me
24.05.2022 - 15:50
gavdann
Written by Jack_Torrance on 24.05.2022 at 11:38

Same for me

In the end I took my own advice and reconnected an old Technics CD player I had in the loft. I can't afford the daft prices which vinyl copies are going for on discogs.
24.05.2022 - 16:14
Jack_Torrance
I own the cd already but I really want the vinyl

Hits total: 48328 | This month: 172