10. Out Of Touch
+ Individual Thought Patterns - Chuck's Riff Tape - 1992
    1 - In Human Form
    2 - The Philosopher
    3 - Trapped in a Corner

Top 20 albums of 1993: 2
Top 200 albums of all time: 116

Additional info
Produced by Chuck Schuldiner and Scott Burns.
Engineered by Scott Burns.
Recorded and mixed at Morrisound Studios, Tampa, Florida.
Remixed by Alan Douches and assisted by Jamal Ruhe at West West Side Studios.
Mastered by Alan Douches at West West Side Studios.
Additional bonus material edited, revitalized and mastered by Alan Douches at West West Side Studios.
Artwork by René Miville.
Original art direction by David Bett.
Original design by Kathy Milone.
Layout by Jacob Speis.

Guest review by
Yanko
Rating:
There it is the fifth album of Death in six years. The band hasn't had an album the year before releasing this one and they didn't waste their time much, touring the world, being kept busy as hell throughout the whole time. It is explainable then, that this would be probably Death's weakest album. Not that it is a bad album. It is just that Death are so good, that this release is not one, which could go into one's collection of Death albums on the top shelf, it will go on the lowest one.

Read more ››
published 15.09.2003 | Comments (16)

Guest review by
K✞ulu
Rating:
Angry with all the crap evolving around Death (not being able to do the UK tour in the height of the Extravaganza tour of Europe due to financial irresponsibility of people "who did business in the band," then as a result a $14,000 debt, and just all those mendacious and greedy people in the music industry), Chuck teamed up with King Diamond guitarist Andy LaRoque, ex-Dark Angel drummer Gene Hoglan, and the fretless bass maestro Steve DiGiorgio (who also performed on the previous album Human) and recorded a masterpiece called Individual Thought Patterns.

Read more ››
published 22.07.2008 | Comments (12)

Found in 85 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 43   Visited by: 1925 users
08.04.2010 - 17:37
Rating: 9
JÄY
Metal slave
RIP Chuck
08.04.2010 - 20:30
Rating: 8
Warman
Erotic Stains
Very original. I especially like the special bass sound. Oh, and the solos kick major ass!
----
20.12.2010 - 10:04
mz

I don't know why some people say that this is the worst album of death.I really like the soloes and vocals are the best in death career.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
20.12.2010 - 21:25
Rating: 10
Angelic Storm
Melodious
To me, this is Death's best album along with "Scream Bloody Gore". It has less filler than "Human" even though it has more songs than that album, and it totally set a new high standard for technical death metal. One which IMO no other band has yet to match, and Chuck himself couldn't even better. The solos on this album are particularly awesome, getting Andy La Roque to play on the album was an inspired choice by Chuck. Shame he didnt play more. And Steve Digiorgio gave probably the performance of his illustrious career on this album too. The bass playing is just phenomenal! For sure, one of the best, and most underrated, (at least it is in Death's discography) metal albums of all time. xD
14.10.2011 - 15:02
Prometheus

Written by Angelic Storm on 20.12.2010 at 21:25

To me, this is Death's best album along with "Scream Bloody Gore". It has less filler than "Human" even though it has more songs than that album, and it totally set a new high standard for technical death metal. One which IMO no other band has yet to match, and Chuck himself couldn't even better. The solos on this album are particularly awesome, getting Andy La Roque to play on the album was an inspired choice by Chuck. Shame he didnt play more. And Steve Digiorgio gave probably the performance of his illustrious career on this album too. The bass playing is just phenomenal! For sure, one of the best, and most underrated, (at least it is in Death's discography) metal albums of all time. xD

agreed is my favourite too, and it think its really their best album! but i love both human and sound of perseverance
23.02.2012 - 23:27
Lit.
Account deleted
Too overrated compared to Human in my opinion,.
01.03.2012 - 20:47
Korah

I read my very first Philosophic book after listening to The Philosopher!
----
Don't cry for my English
01.03.2012 - 20:49
Pelagial

A fucking good band. And this is surely one of the best metal album
01.06.2012 - 00:28
neiluria

There is no more death than death!
18.06.2012 - 21:10
Dethking26

Written by Guest on 23.02.2012 at 23:27

Too overrated compared to Human in my opinion,.

Really? I've heard much more praise towards Human than Individual Thought Patterns.
09.07.2012 - 16:09
musicalkaratekid

Although I prefer 'Human' by a margin, #Individual Thought Patterns' still has plenty of surprising moments in its 40 minutes of Progressive death metal. In particular the closing two songs, 'Out of Touch' and the wondrous 'The philosopher' show off the band's unique talent as a unit.
30.09.2013 - 17:31
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
Another classic album by Death. Although I prefer Human as the whole album, but this one has some great songs, such as The Philosopher.
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"
30.09.2013 - 18:06
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Dethking26 on 18.06.2012 at 21:10
Really? I've heard much more praise towards Human than Individual Thought Patterns.

Yep, it's quite ridiculous to say this album is overrated compared to "Human", when "Human" has received far more praise than ITP... It's actually "Human" which is overrated, even though I do think it's a good album.
27.02.2014 - 04:04
Rulatore

I can't get into this mainly because of the guitars, the sound of it here... I can't tell, but the production is pretty weird. This would be much better with a different production
27.02.2014 - 04:36
Rulatore

Written by deadone on 27.02.2014 at 04:14

Written by Rulatore on 27.02.2014 at 04:04

I can't get into this mainly because of the guitars, the sound of it here... I can't tell, but the production is pretty weird. This would be much better with a different production

I actually find the same problem with a lot of latter Death albums.

Even Leprosy seems too fuzzy but not in a cool Entombed kind of way.

Thank god I'm not the only one. It's a shame waste all the talent here with such production. (the same apply for the other two albums that came after this one)

On a side note, just compare the solo of the song Symbolic in the live (Live & Raw) version and the studio version. that is the problem.
27.02.2014 - 04:43
Rulatore

Written by deadone on 27.02.2014 at 04:40

Quote:

On a side note, just compare the solo of the song Symbolic in the live (Live & Raw) version and the studio version. that is the problem.

I'll have to check the Live and Raw out.

It'd be good to hear Death with a better sound.

I don't know if you'll find it that well produced, but the guitars sound thousand times better than on the studio.
16.08.2014 - 12:30
Rating: 3
Dr. Strawberry

Written by mz on 20.12.2010 at 10:04

I don't know why some people say that this is the worst album of death.I really like the soloes and vocals are the best in death career.

Really ? I haven't heard of anyone saying this is the worst of Death. For me this is their 2nd worst, the worst is still Symbolic.
16.08.2014 - 15:49
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Dr. Strawberry on 16.08.2014 at 12:30

Written by mz on 20.12.2010 at 10:04

Really ? I haven't heard of anyone saying this is the worst of Death. For me this is their 2nd worst, the worst is still Symbolic.

lol! symbolic and ITP contain some of the best songs chuck ever wrote, are perfectly structured and everything is done in absolute detail...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
16.08.2014 - 17:06
Dr. Strawberry

Written by Deadmeat on 16.08.2014 at 15:49

lol! symbolic and ITP contain some of the best songs chuck ever wrote, are perfectly structured and everything is done in absolute detail...

For me Death was underrated during their early career but overrated after Spiritual Healing.
16.08.2014 - 19:32
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Dr. Strawberry on 16.08.2014 at 17:06

For me Death was underrated during their early career but overrated after Spiritual Healing.

is there someone who denies they are on of the main pioneers of death metal or someone who denies who great albums like leprosy and spiritual healing are?? i dont think death are underrated... but not overrated either as they have been given all the credit and respect they deserve...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
17.08.2014 - 17:59
Dr. Strawberry

Written by Deadmeat on 16.08.2014 at 19:32

Written by Dr. Strawberry on 16.08.2014 at 17:06

is there someone who denies they are on of the main pioneers of death metal or someone who denies who great albums like leprosy and spiritual healing are?? i dont think death are underrated... but not overrated either as they have been given all the credit and respect they deserve...

You're off topic enough.
- No one has denied he was one of the pioneers of Death Thrash metal (early) and godfather of Brutal Death (later) and i personally think that there is no progressive at all in their later work.
- The sales of Death albums were bad all the time when he was still alive...only picked up after he left. The typical worst senario happened to artists...So you think he is or was not underrated ?
17.08.2014 - 18:09
Mattybu

I haven't heard of anyone saying this is the worst of Death.

I think ITP is by far their worst album. I imagine a lot of other people think it's their worst as well, but by what degree I can't say.
17.08.2014 - 18:10
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Mattybu on 17.08.2014 at 18:09

I think ITP is by far their worst album. I imagine a lot of other people think it's their worst as well, but by what degree I can't say.

I would say The Sound Of Perserverance is by far Death's worst. But to me nothing after Spiritual Healing is really good.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.08.2014 - 18:13
Mattybu

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.08.2014 at 18:10

I would say The Sound Of Perserverance is by far Death's worst. But to me nothing after Spiritual Healing is really good.

To me that one is only the worst vocally. Songwriting wise I actually consider it a lot better than ITP. I don't like Spiritual Healing much at all, and consider Symbolic and Human their best and 2nd best, so I think we have fairly polarized opinions on the subject
17.08.2014 - 18:16
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Mattybu on 17.08.2014 at 18:13

To me that one is only the worst vocally. Songwriting wise I actually consider it a lot better than ITP. I don't like Spiritual Healing much at all, and consider Symbolic and Human their best and 2nd best, so I think we have fairly polarized opinions on the subject

Death the band died musically, for me, when they stopped playing death metal. So that would be after Spiritual Healing
Leprosy and Screaam Bloody Gore are by far their best two albums.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.08.2014 - 18:19
Dr. Strawberry

Written by Mattybu on 17.08.2014 at 18:09

By the degree of too much stop-start technique is used and too slow almost note-by-note tempo was played. Slow doest mean is bad but I think how was presented here is bad.
Chuck actually could play very fast, skillful and smooth guitars in his early Death (a bit mixed with Thrash) career but changed style to slower tempo later. It was very weird for a good guitarman to make such a decision. Probably something wrong happened to his fingers (only my speculation).
17.08.2014 - 18:21
Mattybu

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.08.2014 at 18:16

Death the band died musically, for me, when they stopped playing death metal. So that would be after Spiritual Healing
Leprosy and Screaam Bloody Gore are by far their best two albums.

Those two are awesome as well, Leprosy is definitely up there. I appreciate the changes in their sound, just not when it's done in a boring way like ITP. That's why Symbolic is the best for me, by that point I think the changes to the sound had developed in the best way possible.
17.08.2014 - 18:30
Dr. Strawberry

Huh ? Happy to hear that...at least no one will be saying I was trolling again...
To me
- Spiritual Healing is their best (but I didn't like it in the 90's, I prefered Leprosy then), now Leprosy is No.2, Scream Bloody Gore is No.3.
- No 4. Human & Death Sound...No.5. Individual, Worst ever - Symbolic .
17.08.2014 - 19:36
Rating: 7
raveneffect

Not Death's best but still a really good album. In fact, I'm not sure Death made anything that can be considered Bad. All their material is quite solid.
17.08.2014 - 22:42
mz

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.08.2014 at 18:16

Hey, isn't Human actually a very death metal record?
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.

Hits total: 38088 | This month: 162