Metal Storm logo
Ark

19.04.2010 - 21:57
Zhao
The Arkaholic
Creating a topic for the band Ark, which I like to consider the stepping stone for Jorn into the bigger scene. Anyways, the guys(minus Jorn) are back now with a album expected to be released during fall 2010 if we're to believe "Modern Drummer Magazine" and its article about John Macaluso.

I created this topic mainly to discuss the albums and band as a whole, without flooding the news post about the reunion or the Jorn thread. Another possible topic is Jorns sucsessor and if its even possible to replace him. In my own opinion, Østby and Macaluso are capable enough to find great singers anywhere.

UPDATE:

The singer is swedish, http://heavymetalthunder.podbean.com/ ctrl + F put in "John Macaluso" and then at 2:42 he talks a bit about him.
20.04.2010 - 02:07
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Yeah, Ark is a very solid band...a lot different than most progressive metal bands out there...I guess that's why I like them...
22.04.2010 - 21:24
shisha

Ok, their two albums date from time when word "progressive" really meant something new and original. First album is cult masterpiece with no average song on it. First time i ve heard Jorn is on this album. I m always missing that strangeness and crazy northern mind from theirs and Conception albums. Best Jorn ever and best rhytm section ever. Second album is little more tasty, with more songs to catch with so i prefere second one. Without Jorn it would not be it, as i said, Ark is his greatest role ever.
By the way, post your opinion here about Conception and their albums. Probably my favorite prog band.
22.04.2010 - 21:39
Baz Anderson

The two albums are definitely brilliant, but J??ørn made up a good part of why they were so good.
This new Ark is very interesting, but it'll have to be something special if it is without Jørn.
22.04.2010 - 22:33
Zhao
The Arkaholic
Written by Baz Anderson on 22.04.2010 at 21:39

The two albums are definitely brilliant, but J??ørn made up a good part of why they were so good.
This new Ark is very interesting, but it'll have to be something special if it is without Jørn.

I agree, however I think the next album will be a masterpiece on the same level as the first album, mainly because its the only prog band I've heard where the guitars and keys doesn't drowns the bass and drums which creates a unique atmosphere in metal, especially when you play like Coven and Macaluso. Whoever the singer is, I think Macaluso and Ostby made sure he/she/it(??) has a quality voice.
22.04.2010 - 22:39
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by Baz Anderson on 22.04.2010 at 21:39

Sure, Jorn is one reason the band is so special, but he's not the only one! Bass an Guitar lines are original, classy and just fucking great, the drumming is just 'whoa!' and the songwriting is pure genius for most of the time. So yes, I'm pretty confident it'll be something special. And also, remember Beyond Twilight... Everyone doubted that Kelly Sundown Carpenter could be up to the task of replacing Jorn, but he did...
And this, from a guy that managed not to listen to their first album.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
12.10.2010 - 10:38
Zhao
The Arkaholic
Http://heavymetalthunder.podbean.com/ ctrl + F to John Macaluso then at 2:42 John talks about the singer!
17.04.2011 - 00:17
thehondo

I talked with Tore on Facebook about a year ago. He said he was writing with Macaluso then. Where is this "Aradiokaos"? Ark and Conception are brilliant. He doesnt respond to my querys anymore. He's got to many friends and to busy. When will we know something?
----
No time like the present
20.04.2011 - 13:37
Obscure

Whoah! It'd be great indeed to hear something more from Ark.

Patience is a virtue, I guess.
23.04.2011 - 22:33
Zhao
The Arkaholic
Written by thehondo on 17.04.2011 at 00:17

I talked with Tore on Facebook about a year ago. He said he was writing with Macaluso then. Where is this "Aradiokaos"? Ark and Conception are brilliant. He doesnt respond to my querys anymore. He's got to many friends and to busy. When will we know something?

John responds about it ocasionally, tho since just about everything remotely connected to Ark gets spammed by "When is the new album coming??" he wont respond to everything.

But the latest info is that John is going to Sweden after his clinic tour in may to finish writing the album.