07. Phantom Lord
08. No Remorse
09. Seek & Destroy
10. Metal Militia
11. Am I Evil? [Diamond Head cover] [Elektra reissue bonus]
12. Blitzkrieg [Blitzkrieg cover] [Elektra reissue bonus]
13. The Four Horsemen [live] [digital download bonus]
14. Whiplash [live] [digital download bonus]

The history of the best Metal band began with this cd. In this album the bases of the thrash metal appeared for first time. By this time Metallica was surely the fastest band of the world, even faster than Venom [precursors of Black Metal style]. In this cd Metallica finds an own style which some years later will bring them to the top of Metal.

The musical quality of this cd is not very good, but the quality of composers of Metallica is incredible. Of course the musicians of the band at this time promised much : Dave Mustaine [later, founding member of Megadeth] and the disappeared God of bass Cliff Burton, apart the rest well known band: James Hetfield, Kirk Hammett and Lars Ulrich.

The 10 tracks of the album sprinkle blood, from the initial track "Hit the Lights" to the last one ?Metal Militia?. In this cd the Metalli-Hymn, ?Seek & Destroy? is the cardinal piece. I also have to mention the fantastic bass solo of ?[Anesthesia]-Pulling Teeth? song. I will define this cd in one word: electric.

If you are not into Metallica and you want to start listening to them, this is not a good album to start with, you must listen to the Black Album, because the garage sound of Kill ?em All is really crude, although Metallica was and is much more than a garage band, anyway a cult album, without a doubt.

Written by | 22.09.2003

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
TheH2K
Rating:
Being an inspirational oeuvre for many bands, Kill 'Em All is the debut album of the most successful band of metal music, the first official package after some arguments among band members and finally Dave Mustaine's dramatic departure.

The songs are super fast and neoteric in many cases. Immediately by listening to this record, the punk roots come into view. The riffs are really heavy, yet raw and unpolished, which means they had a long way to go in terms of musicianship at that time. Solos are performed insanely fast; however, this acceleration causes quite a lot of bum notes in many songs, which are obtrusive. Bass lines are stunning and surely enhancing the quality of the record. Hetfield's voice is fairly squeaky and no way near a qualified singer. Arpeggiated guitar chords in "Phantom Lord" would be definitely worth mentioning.

Read more ››
published 04.06.2020 | Comments (5)

Comments

Comments: 51   Visited by: 275 users
12.08.2006 - 16:51
Rating: 8
Bulus

Four horsemen definitely the best song in this album, it's a complex song.
12.08.2006 - 20:02
Rating: 9
BloodTears
ANA-thema
My favourite is seek & destroy and "whiplash", a very simple song that, makes me wana headbang everytime i hear it!
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
27.08.2006 - 17:46
DLMokoma
Account deleted
whiplash is my favorite. but every single track in this cd is awesome. and James vocals are really.. hmm... interesting
01.09.2006 - 17:05
Peter515
Account deleted
My best song from this album is Seek and Destroy
22.09.2006 - 19:24
yonga
Account deleted
my favorite album from metallica. jump in the fire
24.09.2006 - 03:27
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
great album

fav songs: hit the lights and four horseman

brilliant
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
12.11.2006 - 13:51
Valentin B
Iconoclast
i recall a time when metallica actually ruled.....
their best imo. it has aggresion, catchiness, fast thrash riffs, and every single song(excluding the bonus tracks, which i haven't heard) could be a single, except of course for anesthesia
9/10
30.11.2006 - 23:20
angel
Account deleted
seek and destroy and the four horsemen.
30.11.2006 - 23:21
angel
Account deleted
but also motorbreath, hit the lights, anasthesia.
14.01.2007 - 01:12
ThrashMetal_Rulz
Account deleted
The Four Horseman. It has amazing bass lines.
15.01.2007 - 02:40
Bitch Boy

"Seek and Destroy" is my favorite. By the way, Kirk wasn't part of Metallica at that time...
20.06.2007 - 13:43
Rating: 10
Warman
Erotic Stains
Without doubt one of the most important releases of Metal, truly an amazing album!
----
21.06.2007 - 05:23
theflyingmachine

The album title is appropriate because it annihilates all other Metallica albums. Easily one of my favorite albums of all time. This should not have any score lower than a 10.
As for the sound quality, I think it adds to the atmosphere of the album. It isn't like some death or black metal where bad production essentially means unintelligible music...everything can be heard.
21.06.2007 - 07:14
Opium
Account deleted
While I do love this album to death, the reviewer is wrong in saying "In this album the bases of the thrash metal appeared for first time.", since Overkill are regarded as creating the first true recorded thrash song in existence. It's definitely NOT worth a 10, but is perfect in some ways, while others it is not. However, it also packs a tonne of energy into just one disc, which is still amazing, considering when it was made (although others who would rival this album emerged later).
26.06.2007 - 00:14
Pinusar
Account deleted
I agree with Opium that it has a lot of energy packed in one CD. It is indeed catchy, speedy metal, very good! Probably my favourite CD by Metallica, I could listen to such songs live and headbang anytime. My favourite song is probably Motorbreath, but also Seek and Destroy. This album also features Killer solos, for example on the song Seek and Destroy.
05.10.2007 - 10:52
DrunkenFuck
Thrasher!
Four Horsemen, Motorbreath and Seek And Destroy are my favorite. They are all great of course, however the one I like the least is Jump In The Fire, though I wouldn't say it's bad either.
----
THRASH!!!
20.10.2007 - 02:46
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
I agree with this album. It sounds kinda noisy, the production is not very good, and that can be seen in the inside of the booklet, white pages, black letter. But it certainly kicks ass and it's one of the most agresive albums I've ever heard.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
27.12.2007 - 19:11
Oskmrgo83
Oskmrgo83
I think this album is great. It was an excellent beggining for Metallica. I enjoy most of these songs live. For example, Whiplash and Seek n' Destroy are the flags of this historic album.
----
Now it's time to... rock!!!!!
04.01.2008 - 18:26
RhysTerk

Love this album, especially the tracks Metal militia and Seek & destroy.
06.01.2008 - 21:42
deadset61
Account deleted
My favorite Metallica album ever. Favorite songs are Seek and Destroy, No Remorse, and The Four Horsemen. Cliffs bass solo track os pretty cool too.
19.05.2008 - 01:36
Dark-Member Alex
Account deleted
my favorite album of metallica and the most aggresive!!!
20.07.2008 - 13:48
Thrash_bt

Phantom lord and hit the lights my favourite songs from this album.
08.08.2008 - 19:16
Elio
Red Nightmare
i don't like the review since it's too simple in my opinion...this is a fuckin masterpiece!
Hit the lights wooooooow
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
15.09.2008 - 11:12
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Oh Anesthesia is fucking great, I can reproduce it with my lips haha sounds great, I love this album since I was 14 or 15 years old.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
04.12.2008 - 12:22
mega amarth

The best thrash album ever with quality facrorize.

i love the songs: hit the lights - no remorse - seek and destroy which guided me to metallica
25.12.2008 - 10:21
In Bone Factory

The fastest metal task.
it makes me feeling neckache every time i listen to it especially the song hit the lights.
----
The End Is Nigh ...
25.12.2008 - 11:19
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by In Bone Factory on 25.12.2008 at 10:21

The fastest metal task.
it makes me feeling neckache every time i listen to it especially the song hit the lights.

Advice!: its not good for ur age to headbang as a young one! do it easier! neckache is the beginning, but brain disease will comin after.

but for me the song Horseman is the best song at this album
25.12.2008 - 12:56
In Bone Factory

Written by Guest on 25.12.2008 at 11:19

The fastest metal task.

Advice!: its not good for ur age to headbang as a young one! do it easier! neckache is the beginning, but brain disease will comin after.

you should be a prophet with such advices.anyway im still young dude
----
The End Is Nigh ...
25.12.2008 - 16:03
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by In Bone Factory on 25.12.2008 at 12:56

Written by Guest on 25.12.2008 at 11:19

The fastest metal task.

you should be a prophet with such advices.anyway im still young dude

huh! prophet I dont believe in any prophet, so how can I be a prophet myself! I said Advice cause it was fun, it was a friendly word. do what u wantm but nothin is more important than healthy body! hoops! dont use drugs too
27.03.2009 - 14:23
Andresopeth

Seek & Destroy and The Four Horsemen, The last one for me is the different song of the album a song that opens the path for their later creativity in Ride The Lightning!

Hits total: 10196 | This month: 14