01. Battery
02. Master Of Puppets
03. The Thing That Should Not Be
04. Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
05. Disposable Heroes
06. Leper Messiah
07. Orion
08. Damage, Inc.

A classic between classics and the top of Metallica like a band. The album that made history, the cd of the cds, the best album of the best band. The album that any person who wants to know what is that world called Metal music needs to have, and listen to.

From the intro of "Battery" to the last guitar riff of "Damage Inc." the cd is just perfect, incredible and all the adjectives you want. In this album Metallica composed the song of songs: "Master of Puppets", astonishing. 8 minutes 38 seconds of pure Metal. The virtuosity on composing of Metallica appears clearly in that song. In Master of Puppets [maybe influenced by Black Sabbath] some songs are really dark and paranoid like "The Thing that should not Be". A ballad is also included, which is called "Welcome Home [Sanitarium]" and Metallica still includes in this album an instrumental track: "Orion" [with an intense and melodically brute bass line, perfectly played and composed by bass-God Cliff Burton]

On balance the cd [as you can see my favorite one] is really good, I will recommend this album to all people, especially to people who want to start listening to Metal, because this has been very important to the evolution of music, this is one kind of Led Zeppelin 4th album , Iron Maiden's: Number of the Beast. Just indispensable.

Metallica was in the top when in a terrible accident Cliff died. The band was touring in Denmark, when suddenly at night the Tour-Bus slide in an ice badge, the day was : September 27th of 1986.

Thank you for your beautiful music

R.I.P

10 February 1962 - 27 September 1986

CLIFF L . BURTON

Written by | 22.09.2003

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
Motoroverkill
Rating:
Master of Puppets is a master class in structuring an album, The tracks and the way they're ordered is near perfection. A landmark album. Master Of Puppets is a timeless classic, A hybrid, Which features the best characteristics of many different kinds of metal. Many people consider it one of the greatest albums of all time and for good reason.

Read more ››
published 25.01.2010 | Comments (23)

Guest review by
Cal Wolvington
Rating:
I know I am in the minority here, but I don't care. Coffee is not as bad for you as everyone says it is, ten million Coldplay fans are wrong and Master Of Puppets is not Metallica's best album. This album is considered to be a classic and it is a great effort, but it is no Ride The Lightning. Master Of Puppets may have become more popular than Metallica's first two albums and it may be every critic's darling but that alone does not make it a better album or the greatest thrash record of all time. What matters is the music itself and therein lies my problem with considering this album a mind blowing masterpiece, which it is not.

Read more ››
published 06.06.2012 | Comments (67)

Comments

Comments: 124   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 464 users
12.08.2006 - 17:01
Rating: 9
Bulus

yeah the last metallica great album, but i think it sounds like Ride the lightning to me
13.08.2006 - 02:02
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Great album...but some songs get repetitive (if my alcohol-induced memory serves me correctly), such as Leper Messiah and The Thing That Should Not Be. They use a great riff, but use it over and over again for like 6 minutes without having the song change. Anyways, my favorite song is Disposable Heroes.

good stuff
13.08.2006 - 22:33
LiveWise
Account deleted
Very good album
Best songs are Master of puppets and sanatarium
Very good quitar solos and lyrics is very good too
18.08.2006 - 20:36
Rating: 10
Thrash666

BEST METAL ALBUM OF ALL TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
----
LONG LIVE THASH!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. "Dimebag" Darrell Abott
Drink a "blacktooth" for Dimebag
27.08.2006 - 17:50
DLMokoma
Account deleted
every single song is hellova perfect. I love this.
01.09.2006 - 17:01
Peter515
Account deleted
My favourite song from this album is MASTER OF PUPPETS
02.09.2006 - 02:39
Damnated
Churchburner
Truly their best. It's been 20 years, and it's still a good piece of metal.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
17.09.2006 - 04:58
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
Greatest album ever!!

how you can write an album with 8 PERFECT songs on it is incredible.

great album

RIP Cliff Burton

We honoured you
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
24.09.2006 - 18:51
Rating: 3
Talvi

This album has destroyed thrash metal, and it shouldn't exist. This has madean amazing underground genre as metal into a mainstream shit. When I hear this, I get a headache. Check metal-archives.com to see one good review that explains why this is so bad for metal.
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
25.09.2006 - 04:00
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Talvi on 24.09.2006 at 18:51

This album has destroyed thrash metal, and it shouldn't exist. This has madean amazing underground genre as metal into a mainstream shit. When I hear this, I get a headache. Check metal-archives.com to see one good review that explains why this is so bad for metal.

I read the review and I agree with most of it. Even though this album sounds alright, it is extremely overrated.
25.09.2006 - 14:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Dangerboner on 25.09.2006 at 04:00

I read the review and I agree with most of it. Even though this album sounds alright, it is extremely overrated.

That review was full of bullshit, giving it 0% is just laughable. Okay MoP isn't as good as some make it out to be it is still somehow among the classic metal albums of all time. That UltraBoris guy doesn't know shit when it comes to thrash. Just read his other reviews. The guy is a mornon and full of shit and doesn't knwo how to put things in historical perspective either. Always tries to somehow get nu-metal into his reviews. Like... bla bla, really first nu-metal album, bla bla bla.

Okay and now back to this review. 9.9 or 10 is too high an acclaim for MoP MoP is more or less a rehash of the ideas used on Ride the Lightning but now with a better production. Hell, even the way the album is built up is morre or less the same as RtL. But MoP is still a very enjoyable album nonetheless. I would rate it 8.25 after all.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.09.2006 - 14:45
Damnated
Churchburner

This album has destroyed thrash metal, and it shouldn't exist. This has madean amazing underground genre as metal into a mainstream shit.

what do you mean? this review overrates this album, but in general it's not overrated. UltrBoris is just a prick btw, he thinks he's a great reviewer for rating good albums with horrible numbers. Like that Blopeth thing he has. I don't get why is he so cool on MA...
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
25.09.2006 - 15:03
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Damnated on 25.09.2006 at 14:45

This album has destroyed thrash metal, and it shouldn't exist. This has madean amazing underground genre as metal into a mainstream shit.

what do you mean? this review overrates this album, but in general it's not overrated. UltrBoris is just a prick btw, he thinks he's a great reviewer for rating good albums with horrible numbers. Like that Blopeth thing he has. I don't get why is he so cool on MA...

Welll, there are quite a few mornons liek Ultraboris around on MA, but they think they are cool cause they don't know shit about metal at all. And try to be cool by rating good albums with low marks, like you said. But then again MA sucks quite big time when it comes to defining what is metal and what is not metal. E.g. Dillinger escape Plan isn't metal; according to them but Burnt by the Sun and Cephalic Carnage are. Classic band such as quite a few glam bands grunge bands they don't consider metal either. The owners of MA don't knwo shit about metal,. There is an interview with them somewhere on-line (I can't find it now though, damn) where they really come across as elitist pricks who have knwo knowledge of metal history and metal in its broadest sense whatsoever.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.09.2006 - 15:17
Rating: 3
Talvi

Even though, that was an example as how this album is really, really bad, compared to what people say. I think I'd rate this album as 6.5. Nothing higher. And I'm no elitist who hates classics, It's jsut that this album is very flawed.
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
25.09.2006 - 15:31
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.09.2006 at 15:03

Welll, there are quite a few mornons liek Ultraboris around on MA, but they think they are cool cause they don't know shit about metal at all. And try to be cool by rating good albums with low marks, like you said. But then again MA sucks quite big time when it comes to defining what is metal and what is not metal. E.g. Dillinger escape Plan isn't metal; according to them but Burnt by the Sun and Cephalic Carnage are. Classic band such as quite a few glam bands grunge bands they don't consider metal either. The owners of MA don't knwo shit about metal,. There is an interview with them somewhere on-line (I can't find it now though, damn) where they really come across as elitist pricks who have knwo knowledge of metal history and metal in its broadest sense whatsoever.

yeah. they added Def Leppard for having 1 metal album, and removed several others, because they thought they weren't metal enough. and they're happy if you write bashing reviews. so I don't think we need to hear THEIR opinion . shure, 9.9 is high, but 0 is just idiot.
----

26.09.2006 - 00:24
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.09.2006 at 14:25

Written by Dangerboner on 25.09.2006 at 04:00

That review was full of bullshit, giving it 0% is just laughable. Okay MoP isn't as good as some make it out to be it is still somehow among the classic metal albums of all time. That UltraBoris guy doesn't know shit when it comes to thrash. Just read his other reviews. The guy is a mornon and full of shit and doesn't knwo how to put things in historical perspective either. Always tries to somehow get nu-metal into his reviews. Like... bla bla, really first nu-metal album, bla bla bla.

Okay and now back to this review. 9.9 or 10 is too high an acclaim for MoP MoP is more or less a rehash of the ideas used on Ride the Lightning but now with a better production. Hell, even the way the album is built up is morre or less the same as RtL. But MoP is still a very enjoyable album nonetheless. I would rate it 8.25 after all.

Yes, the 0% was something that I didn't agree with. I also didn't think that there was 1 album that destroyed metal either. However, he brought up some good, well...obvious, points about Dave Mustaine creating a better band and he described the songs pretty accurately and added some nice insights to those songs. Oh, and you guys are totally right about MA sucking. Sometimes I can't stand that site...

I'd probably rate it around a 7.5, but I guess it doesn't really matter.
27.09.2006 - 19:52
Bow to Me
Account deleted
Stupid! the accident didnt occure in Denmark. Sweden is the correct country.
30.11.2006 - 23:29
angel
Account deleted
cant believe .how can you all just think about this album in this way. " it flawed. overrated.." OH MY GOSH

it is great .it is 20 yrs old and still banging.
25.12.2006 - 07:13
homas
Account deleted
The thing that you should note is this album is a rehash of "Ride The Lightning" and there is no departure and variety in it .
Just repeating sounds and no innovation .
I think 8 is enough for it .
26.12.2006 - 00:43
Bitch Boy

Fucking masterpiece!! I love the entire album, maybe Metallica's best studio album.
26.12.2006 - 05:06
sumatra
Account deleted
this album is the best eva ... there was and will neva be any album in this fucken world that can top it ...... MetallicA for eva and nothing else matters:banger:
14.01.2007 - 01:59
ThrashMetal_Rulz
Account deleted
Wicked album. Not quite as good as Ride the Lightening or Kill em All but still good.
26.03.2007 - 22:21
Nhorf
Account deleted
Very overrated, dudes... Ride the Lightning and Kill'em All deserve 9 points... MoP deserves 7.5, nothing more... Damage Inc., Battery and Orion are the reasons why you must buy it. Though it's overrated
05.04.2007 - 13:06
Mental_Orgasm
Account deleted
I agree, extremely over rated, the fact that the compare this to Reign In Blood is a load of shit, Ride The Lightning was way better, still this is a very good album
23.05.2007 - 18:16
Justice

JUST MASTER OF PUPPETS
JUST CLIFF BURTON
23.05.2007 - 18:29
Warman
Erotic Stains
Sweden, not Denmark!!! (Why do I even care, withhout my damn country he'd probably still be alive).

No album has inspired me or meant so much for me as Master of Puppets. I can't express my feelings for the album with words, you'll have to crack up my skull and dig deep into my brain and then use like a trillion words to describe all the feelings I have for this album. It's... it's... Metallica... a part of my life I'd say! Yes, Master of Puppets does actually have a major part of the person I am today and will be. Hail!
----
26.05.2007 - 20:59
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
This was probably the last great album that Metallica made before going all to suck. I shall reiterate a quote I made long ago that Metallica died when Cliff Burton died. "...And Justice For All" was good and their black album is catchy and a fun listen once in a while, but after that, all of their albums from "Load" onward are equivalent to a skunk covered in dog shit.
01.07.2007 - 09:03
Noel Sonic
Account deleted
I regard this ablum as Metallica's best album.Almost every song is excellent.I think Master Of Puppets can be written into Metal History.
05.10.2007 - 11:07
DrunkenFuck
Thrasher!
Funny story (or maybe not so funny after all), Cliff Burton actually died exactly the same day that my father and my uncle was going to see them..

The best album ever! It's a fucking masterpiece and truly the best piece of music ever created!

All hail METALLICA!
----
THRASH!!!
20.10.2007 - 02:41
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Good album, you gotta love Disposable Heroes and every other song in there. RIP Cliff, one of teh greatest bass player of all time.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!

Hits total: 25332 | This month: 29