Metal Storm logo
A Eulogy For Ronnie James Dio

Written by: BitterCOld
Published: 17.05.2010

So I heard the news today, Ronnie James Dio passed away after a battle with stomach cancer. Given the news over the past 24 hours (he passed away, "i'm not dead yet!", yes he has), it's made for a tumultuous day.

Lots of folks round these parts (rightfully) take a cynical view at "RIP!" threads and comments to those saluting "heroes" they've never met.

Well, I've never met Ronnie.

And I really don't give a fuck about the cynics at this point.

While I never met the man, I do feel like I know him. He's had a presence in my life onwards from the mid- 80's when DIO was so big with Last In Line and Holy Diver that not only did the metal head burn-outs wear his T's at school... so did the fucking cheerleaders.

With the passing of Ronnie James Dio, not only did metal bands lose a frontman of legendary (if diminutive) stature, metal itself lost a legendary front man. It seems whenever a documentary was made on the subject, amidst footage of drunken clowns incapable of blurting out a coherent sentence whether at festivals or floating in an inner-tube, there was always Ronnie James Dio. And he could always be counted on as a coherent, charismatic, and literate performer who actually had something poignant to say.

While the other clowns gave ammo to those seeking to diminish our favorite form of music, RJD gave us the counter punch.

So take your vinyl/cassette/compact disk/mp3 version of Last In Line or Holy Diver, crank it until your whole house reverberates, grab a bottle of your favorite fire water, and hoist your fingers to the sky and lament his passing.

m/

Thanks, Ronnie, for not only being a great front man and giving us some great tunes, thanks for being an ambassador for metal itself.

You have our gratitude.

(consider my thoughts and best wishes for the family and friends of Ronnie James Dio. I hope you can find enough joy in celebrating his accomplishments over the years to outweigh the grief and sorrow of his passing.)

Written on 17.05.2010 by BitterCOld has been officially reviewing albums for MetalStorm since 2009.

Comments

Comments: 42   [ 5 ignored ]   Visited by: 545 users
17.05.2010 - 02:39
I still don't like his music
----
I'd rather like what I like because I like it, despite if everyone hates me for it, then like what I hate just to be accepted by you.
17.05.2010 - 02:47
Amonisis
M/ rest in peace, Dio, god amongst men, bard of myth and legend and ambassador to the lands of metal m/
17.05.2010 - 02:53
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
A true metal god... feel a bit better after reading this.
17.05.2010 - 03:02
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
It's hard not to respect a man of his stature. While I never enjoyed his music on a personal level I understand the significance of his contributions to the heavy metal world.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
17.05.2010 - 03:15
daniel chack
The best metal singer. Master, face and soul of Metal. Thanks . RIP
17.05.2010 - 03:26
Culty
Written by spiritofvengence on 17.05.2010 at 02:39

Trolls are so cute
----
Gfnttlr
17.05.2010 - 03:28
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

Totally possible and even understandable. But there is no denying the importance this great little man has had for metal in general. One of the biggest icons of metal just passed away. There are very few metal artists of his stature and importance.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.05.2010 - 03:46
SatyriconChick
I still can't believe he's gone. It's not fair... His cancer was caught EARLY - he should have gotten to survive and continue doing what he loved best. I already blasted "Rainbow In the Dark" earlier, going to put on the Dream Evil album shortly. This eulogy was touching, and thank you BitterCOld for it.

As for that one dumbass who claims he doesn't like Dio's music - then why are you here??? Idiot.

R.I.P. Ronnie. A true god of metal!
17.05.2010 - 04:03
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Stumbled on this interview from '06. hilarious stuff.

dio is teh funny
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
17.05.2010 - 04:33
Following your advice, Whiskey in hand and my whole street is listening to "Holy Diver" whether they want to or not.

Quote:
he could always be counted on as a coherent, charismatic, and literate performer who actually had something poignant to say.

Thats the biggest thing I always respected him for. If ever we needed a literate well spoken man to defend metal, he was it. Always a pleasure to hear interviews with him.

mm/
----
When outmatched...Cheat.
17.05.2010 - 04:50
Asmodei
Well said
17.05.2010 - 05:02
Derwood
I've spent the afternoon listening to his solo albums. For any fan of 80's heavy metal, there are multiple classics. I'm still mystified why Sacred Heart gets so overlooked. It's my favourite of his; I had the cover art tattooed on my shoulder when I was eighteen.

Dio's voice is all over the soundtrack of my youth. Like BitterCOld, I don't give a fuck if I never met him in person, he has influenced my life since I was a teenager. His lyrics leant their power to shaping my thoughts and attitudes growing up and there are surely some influences lingering still.

It doesn't matter that I never met him. His voice is so familiar to me, I still feel as though I have lost a close personal friend. Thank the gods that I can continue to hear his voice.

Cattle die and kinsmen die,
thyself too soon must die,
but one thing never, I ween, will die, --
fair fame of one who has earned.

Go with whatever gods call you, Ronnie. You will be missed.
----
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!
17.05.2010 - 05:17
Chainer
Witch Hunter Gen
Well spoken, Raise your glasses, and drink to a legends passing.
----
Written by Dangerboner on 02.11.2009 at 08:11

Everything he doesn't like is metalcore. Britney Spears, Elton John, Michael Moore, and green beans are also metalcore, in case you guys didn't know.
17.05.2010 - 05:31
Conemetal
Great musician, great creator and great singer
----
MUCH I LEARNED FROM MY TEACHERS,
MORE FROM MY COLLEAGUES, BUT I HAVE LEARNED THE MOST FROM MY DISCIPLES
17.05.2010 - 06:15
Nacur
RIP Ronnie, you have our gratitude!
Stay metal!
m/
17.05.2010 - 06:58
Number Juan
RIP Dio. I'm glad I got to see Heaven and Hell last summer. I can at least say I was blown away by one of his live performances.
----
A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. - Bertrand Russell
17.05.2010 - 10:00
Valentin B
Iconoclast
"the ending is just a beginner" - hail DIO! the man who gave us the METAL HORNS.. how's that for influence?

17.05.2010 - 11:45
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff

Why do you feel the need to post this in every related thread? No one really gives a fuck, dude.

Great article dude. Similar thoughts, though different personal history with his music. Definitely a dark day for metal.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
17.05.2010 - 16:23
RhaegarTargaryen
Telcontar
Well said /m/
----
... For years I have traveled in coldness,
But my heart is warm as the darkened sun above me...
Nothing can never take away
What I've seen with these tired eyes
17.05.2010 - 16:30
A real shame a great guy R.I.P Dio.
17.05.2010 - 17:24
BloodFireDeath
We owe him so much. I agree, I never knew the guy but in loving his music i felt i really did. He made that connection with his art and it resonates so hard in our heart strings that we are with him on a personal level. Honestly from his perspective he probably viewed ALL his fans as his friends regardless.
----
Goodspeed on the Devils Thunder
17.05.2010 - 18:12
demonseed
A true metal legend and one of the fathers of metal as we know it.
----
A Servant in Heaven A King in Hell
17.05.2010 - 18:37
Dominus
The Shooter
17.05.2010 - 18:42
Pigsidro
It is possible that somebody can replace him?
----
The Mechanical Baptism
17.05.2010 - 18:58
TheOwl
Whenever you dream
You're holding the key
It opens the door
To let you be free

The Heavens now have our best! Terrible loss of a teacher and a friend...
17.05.2010 - 20:09
hijo de cain
It's so sad that we lost this great artist that never let down the fans. great guy his magic will live forever among us.
17.05.2010 - 21:41
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Well said!
----
The force will be with you, always.
18.05.2010 - 01:20
ravendeath

Does anybody care?
Ronnie RIP!
18.05.2010 - 01:29
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
The part about his interviews amongst the other blabber mouths on heavy metal is the best part of the eulogy....i concur 100%
----
rekt
18.05.2010 - 05:02
WAR
R.I.P. Ronnie

We gonna miss you

Hits total: 11695 | This month: 20