09. Apocalyptic City

Top 20 albums of 1987: 6
Top 200 albums of all time: 142

Additional info
Re-issued on Atlantic : 1995, February 17th

Guest review by
nicaZe
Rating:
For me Testament are one of those bands which peaked way too early. In my eyes they never ever topped their debut The Legacy and although they released many great subsequent releases, I do not think any of them match this.

Musically, Testament were never as direct and ferocious as on The Legacy, delivering harder, darker, and more energetic songs than on their subsequent albums and what the album lacks in variety it makes up for in intensity. Don't let that statement confuse you however: Testament still manage to pack in a surprisingly diverse collection of musically interesting songs on this album. What has been put together here is a collection of songs that rival the intensity of Slayer, the polish of Megadeth, and the sleaze drenched mayhem of Overkill. In each song there is an unmistakeable seal of virtuosity and intelligence, mixed with the permanent insanity and brutality in lyrics and music, which unfortunately never would be so intense in any later Testament releases.

Read more ››
published 21.06.2012 | Comments (11)

Guest review by
Maasai Mara
Rating:
The first time I listened to this, I thought this was Metallica and James Hetfield had finally improved his vocals (although they worked pretty well on Kill 'Em All and Ride The Lightning). To this day, while listening to this I still cannot shake off the idea that this is Metallica or some kind of Metallica tribute band. The vocals sound Metallica-ish, the riffing and guitar solos sound like something Kirk Hammett wrote, and the fact that Testament are from the Bay Area does not help their case. They even copied the laugh at the end of "Master Of Puppets" in "C.O.T.L.O.D.", which, in true Testament fashion, still sounds weaker than that in "Master Of Puppets". Metallica is the hunter and Testament the prey, as they loudly proclaim on "Do Or Die."

Read more ››
published 16.03.2019 | Comments (11)

Found in 88 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 32   Visited by: 1451 users
28.05.2010 - 19:22
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
This album has one of the best collection of solos I've heard in long time. ''First Strike is Deadly'' one kicked my ass.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
03.02.2011 - 23:01
Viesturs
Rock On
24.03.2011 - 00:03
John Shock
Men, lovin' this album! Testament rules!
28.08.2011 - 02:32
Rating: 10
ThisIsEndgame
A classic and must own for any thrash fan. Amazing solos and riffs that blow your mind
----
\m/ Next thing you know they'll take my thought away! \m/
19.04.2012 - 00:24
Rating: 7
Zombie94
Didn't like it the first time I listened to it a few months ago. Listened to it today again and was oh so very pleasantly surprised. So much catchy riffage on one album.
02.12.2012 - 16:17
megadeath13
Account deleted
Timeless thrash metal classic!
18.01.2014 - 15:55
Rating: 8
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Thats the first album i listen from this band and although i tend to dislike bay thrash this album is from the good ones.. the solo in "over the wall" is truly awesome...! it's nice that their vocals are not so bay-ish...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
11.03.2014 - 20:42
Rating: 9
pkillerjp
Really great thrash debut, this is the only Testament album that competes with the early Big 4 releases. Raw energy, amazing riffs, nice songwriting, cool vocals-- always loved this one!
19.06.2015 - 12:45
Jagermeister
Perfection
----
But don't you ever get lost in Necropolis?
12.10.2017 - 15:37
VIG
Account deleted
I forgot how good this one was. One of the better thrash albums.
12.10.2017 - 17:20
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 12.10.2017 at 15:37

I forgot how good this one was. One of the better thrash albums.

And tbh Testament's only really good, or even great, album, although half of their follow-up is also still good to great, but everything after... well. mediocre thrash.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.10.2017 - 19:28
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.10.2017 at 17:20

And tbh Testament's only really good, or even great, album, although half of their follow-up is also still good to great, but everything after... well. mediocre thrash.

I'd say this and the follow up are roughly equal in quality honestly. Never liked anything other than those two and the odd track here and there.
12.10.2017 - 19:35
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Alex F on 12.10.2017 at 19:28

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.10.2017 at 17:20

I'd say this and the follow up are roughly equal in quality honestly....

I'd beg to differ due to tracks such as the Nobody's Fault cover, Hypnosis, Musical Death (A Dirge) , The Preacher, A Day Of Reckoning and also Eerie Inhabitants on The New Order. Whereas The Legacy doesn't have one single weak track.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.10.2017 - 19:41
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.10.2017 at 19:35

I'd beg to differ due to tracks such as the Nobody's Fault cover, Hypnosis, Musical Death (A Dirge) , The Preacher, A Day Of Reckoning and also Eerie Inhabitants on The New Order. Whereas The Legacy doesn't have one single weak track.

I'd personally say that C.O.T.L.O.D is pretty weak, and that Nobody's Fault is the only "bad" song on The New Order. I also vastly prefer both the production and vocal performances on tNO, however the slightly less polished edge on The Legacy probably appeals a bit more to you (or so I would guess). Like I said, I like em both, but I also wouldn't call either of them masterpieces at all.
12.10.2017 - 19:45
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Quote:
Written by Alex F on 12.10.2017 at 19:41

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.10.2017 at 19:35

I'd personally say that C.O.T.L.O.D is pretty weak, and that Nobody's Fault is the only "bad" song on The New Order. I also vastly prefer both the production and vocal performances on tNO, however the slightly less polished edge on The Legacy probably appeals a bit more to you (or so I would guess). Like I said, I like em both, but I also wouldn't call either of them masterpieces at all.

The Legacy I would call a masterpiece and up their with the best thrash albums ever.
The New Order is indeed way too polished and therefore it lacks punch.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.06.2019 - 03:11
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Total classic, superior in all aspects to everything they released after.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
10.06.2019 - 12:48
gavdann
Testament are a great band but this is still their finest album for me.
19.09.2019 - 17:05
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Pure thrashing opener, 100% energy and thrash, party non stop, some take drugs and dance in trance rthme, here you dont need drugs and shit, pure thrash is energizer and you can party all night long. Amazing period of metal when 80's bands recorded like first 4 albums.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
06.07.2020 - 16:37
nonZero
Not as strong as The New Order or The Gathering but still a great album.
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)
11.08.2020 - 11:05
Rating: 7
Joppe
Steelemeister
It's alright thrashing/speeding with not that many remarkable riffs and not that memorable songwriting. I have listened the album at least a few times and most of the songs just disappear right after listening without leaving anything to remember. Only a couple of songs, mainly "Burnt Offerings", break the pattern of forgettableness and manage also to be really good songs.

So, not the best thrash album available. Maybe this is pretty good on Testament's standards, but when compared to classic thrash albums from 80s or just bay are ones, this is not really impressive album. Doesn't highly disappoint after a few listens but sort of falls flat.
----
My vision is augmented
11.08.2020 - 15:26
Rating: 6
Metal Rasputin
One of the most overrated metal albums ever. Most of the songs are barely memorable, just average thrash with great soloing. The production has aged badly and ruins whatever better parts that can be found here and there. This album needs proper remixed or remastered re-release.
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!
27.10.2020 - 12:32
Rufus Valentine
Account deleted
Brilliant LP and still one of my favourites - had it on a cassette back in the day and totally wore it out. Regarding earlier comments on the crappy Aerosmith cover version on New Order, I remember reading at the time that they had to make the time up because they were contractually obliged to produce an LP of a certain length. If it wasn't for that aberration and the super-clean production, 'New Order' would come close to this IMO.
01.02.2021 - 02:33
JavierPaper
Very great album, one of the best albums of testament with "The Gathering" and "Practice What You Preach"
06.07.2021 - 16:22
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
This is one of the best thrash albums ever! Pure raw energy with badass vocals (kind of a mix of Mustaine and Hetfield ) and elegant guitar solos! ... might be the best debut album of a band (next to The Somberlain and Black Future)
07.07.2021 - 11:05
gavdann
Written by F3ynman2000 on 06.07.2021 at 16:22

might be the best debut album of a band

That deserves a thread all of it's own.

Kill Em All or Psychocandy for me.
07.07.2021 - 12:14
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Written by gavdann on 07.07.2021 at 11:05

Written by F3ynman2000 on 06.07.2021 at 16:22

might be the best debut album of a band

That deserves a thread all of it's own.

Kill Em All or Psychocandy for me.

Also Metal Church and Nocturnal Silence are great debut albums
08.08.2021 - 00:47
kevindebrajne
Account deleted
Sadly, I have to agree with people above me bashing this album. There's no personality to be found in here, and the whole album sounds incredibly dated for a 1987 record. Some sweet solos, but the riffs are lacking and can't compete with other bands from that time. The songwritting lacks any memorability or hooks, and the production is pretty bad, and not in the way that could potentially add to the experience. Chuck Billy isn't at his peak here (like on Testament's later album "The Gathering"), but he's good enough to stand out as one of the best things about this lp.

It's indeed very overrated, but still it's by far Testament's best record, and looking by the quality of their most recent albums, I can tell it's not going to change very soon (if ever).
11.09.2021 - 16:39
GrimReaper85
Top 10 album of all time for me, I never knew thrash can have such melodies. Melody in first track at 2:28 looks simple, but still it is one of the best things I heard in metal.
Very quiet though, amplifier is a must.
24.09.2021 - 00:34
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
The lyrical themes in this album are pretty unique, I find. I haven't heard them as often in other songs:
Escape from prison (Over the Wall); at sea in the Bermuda Triangle (Raging Waters); poisonous snakes (First Strike is Deadly); a parachuting soldier (Do Or Die); the inner thoughts of an arsonist (Apocalyptic City).
Add in some elegant guitar solos, catchy and strong backing vocals, and high-speed thrash, and you've got yourself a fantastic album
24.09.2021 - 00:37
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Written by nonZero on 06.07.2020 at 16:37

08. Alone In The Dark - 8/10
09. Apocalyptic City - 8/10

In my opinion, the last two songs deserve a 9 or 10 rating! Those melodic solos, man!

Hits total: 27592 | This month: 112