10. Judas Priest
11. Crawl
12. The Constant
13. Revolution Screams
14. New Noise [Refused cover] [bonus]

Staff review by
BitterCOld
Rating:
I contracted my first case of Anthrax in '87 when a friend started blaring "I'm The Man!" in his truck one night. Was hoping for the best on this album? and went back nearly 25 years for the inspiration for this review.

Hit play and sing along!

Now they're Anthrax and they take no shit
Over the last three years had eight vocalists

Read more ››
published 15.09.2011 | Comments (61)

Guest review by
Iron Nostarion
Rating:
Eight years have passed since Anthrax, the so-called "kings of mosh", last released a studio album. Although their heavy metal shift (from their thrash origins) wasn't causing much anticipation for this album at first, several announcements and the return of Joey Belladonna, as well as the online promotional release of the excellent track "Fight 'Em Til You Can't", caused this album to be one of the most anticipated metal albums of the year. A decent amount of people were expecting it to be a groundbreaking thrash metal album, including myself, and most others at least expected it to be a somehow solid release.

Read more ››
published 21.09.2011 | Comments (13)

Guest review by
ScreamingSteelUS
Rating:
Let us get this out of the way immediately: yes, it's true, Worship Music only has about three thrash songs on it. Yes, "Fight 'Em 'Till You Can't" bears some striking similarities to "Gridlock" off of Persistence Of Time. Joey Belladonna is overdubbed a lot. Most of the album is slow or mid-paced. Essentially, this album is different. It is not the same Anthrax that Joey left In 1992. If you hit 'play' expecting to hear "Indians" or "Time," you will be sadly disappointed. However, on its own merits, Worship Music is a masterpiece.

Read more ››
published 24.12.2011 | Comments (51)

Guest review by
s7mon
Rating:
"At last!" one might shout being finally able to lay hands on the newest Anthrax effort, Worship Music. Eight long years we waited for some new material. Well, alright, new material released officially on CD. It's easy to assume that the role of this album - apart from bringing some good music of course - was to prove that Anthrax didn't vanish and are still here to remind the youngsters what thrashing is all about. Did they manage to do it? Well...

Read more ››
published 01.02.2012 | Comments (2)

Found in 37 lists
Top lists

Comments page 3 / 5

Comments: 148   Visited by: 1223 users
06.09.2011 - 22:40
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
elite
Has anyone else noticed that the cover actually looks a lot like the cover of We've Come For You All?
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
06.09.2011 - 23:21
John Shock
Written by Angelic Storm on 06.09.2011 at 22:32

Written by John Shock on 06.09.2011 at 22:14
Do you know Apostasy? ...Is that of your style?

If you mean the Behemoth album, then yes I do know it... if you mean anything else, then I don't.. lol

Apostasy is a "nordic" band! Melodic Black Metal is their style !!!
07.09.2011 - 02:27
Rating: 5
whitepawel
Now I'm pissed. I've expected something like The Greater Of Two Evils with Joey on vocals. And I've waited for it for all these years. And what do I get? It fucking sounds like a modern Annihilator album. Long and mediocre groove metal album with lack of hits and no signs of thrash. Maybe 3 tracks are just fine. Probably even Sound Of White Noise had more highlights. Anthrax is done folks
07.09.2011 - 10:57
Rating: 9
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by John Shock on 06.09.2011 at 23:21

Ah no, I've never heard of them... Melodic black metal can be great sometimes though! hehee

@Whitepawel: Sounds like modern Annihilator? I can't say I hear any similarities myself, I don't think it sounds anything like modern Annihilator. Although I actually quite enjoyed Annihilator's latest, "Worship Music" is a far superior album. It's more diverse, and far more dynamic. I dunno why anyone would have been expecting the whole album to be thrash anyways. The album was written before Joey came back into the band. They did make some changes to it after he rejoined, but a few of the songs remained unchanged vocals aside. Musically, it sounds like a mixture of the Joey and John Bush eras, with a more melodic quality. (which is why I said it sounds like a modern interpretation of "Spreading The Disease")

Of course, you don't have to like it, and I respect your opinion. But I definitely don't hear any similarities with modern Annihilator in it. It just sounds like Anthrax to me. *shrugs*
07.09.2011 - 11:01
Rating: 6
Daniell
_爱情_
elite
This album has one good song so far, after 2 listens - "Earth on Hell". The rest is incredibly boring. As is every album with music calculated and written to appease the masses. The tour with the classic setup was a hit, so they prepared an album that was supposed to bring back the glory days of the 80's. What a gigantic failure. Eight years of waiting, resulting in a bucket of puke.

But I'll listen to it a few more times, just for old times' sake - I really loved "Spreading the Disease" and "Among the Living".
07.09.2011 - 15:21
John Shock
Written by Angelic Storm on 07.09.2011 at 10:57

Ah no, I've never heard of them... Melodic black metal can be great sometimes though! hehee

@Whitepawel: Sounds like modern Annihilator? I can't say I hear any similarities myself, I don't think it sounds anything like modern Annihilator. Although I actually quite enjoyed Annihilator's latest, "Worship Music" is a far superior album. It's more diverse, and far more dynamic. I dunno why anyone would have been expecting the whole album to be thrash anyways. The album was written before Joey came back into the band. They did make some changes to it after he rejoined, but a few of the songs remained unchanged vocals aside. Musically, it sounds like a mixture of the Joey and John Bush eras, with a more melodic quality. (which is why I said it sounds like a modern interpretation of "Spreading The Disease")

Of course, you don't have to like it, and I respect your opinion. But I definitely don't hear any similarities with modern Annihilator in it. It just sounds like Anthrax to me. *shrugs*

Whitepawel is a band? I have to try it!
07.09.2011 - 15:43
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by John Shock on 07.09.2011 at 15:21

No, I was replying to Whitepawel's post... xD
07.09.2011 - 18:28
John Shock
Written by Angelic Storm on 07.09.2011 at 15:43

Written by John Shock on 07.09.2011 at 15:21

No, I was replying to Whitepawel's post... xD

eheh sorry!
08.09.2011 - 02:52
Rating: 7
Rulatore
This album rules so hard, wasnt expectin a thing from them, the lineup chaos... but they delivered

"Earth on Hell" is the beast !!!
08.09.2011 - 03:01
whitepawel
As I said, I wanted something like The Greater Of Two Evils which is far more thrashy than this crap. I know about 5000 metal/rock albums and I just can't be that kind when a band like Anthrax releases something like this. And I'm pretty sure that it will have a 8,5 rating and would be on the list of this year's best albums here on Metal Storm which I found silly
08.09.2011 - 18:27
skrätte
I Hate You
This album's diverse. It's heavy. It's certainly a far cry from the shit we can usually expect from bands that have been around for decades (I'm looking at you, Queensryche). I was pissed for awhile about all the delays and setbacks this album faced... but it has been worth the long wait. The guitar work is nothing less than hard-edged. The drum work is to be reckoned with. One of the best of 2011? Hell if I know, as I am a little behind on this year's releases.. but it is certainly worthy of a good rating, in my opinion.
----
08.09.2011 - 21:26
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by skrätte on 08.09.2011 at 18:27

This album's diverse. It's heavy. It's certainly a far cry from the shit we can usually expect from bands that have been around for decades (I'm looking at you, Queensryche). I was pissed for awhile about all the delays and setbacks this album faced... but it has been worth the long wait. The guitar work is nothing less than hard-edged. The drum work is to be reckoned with. One of the best of 2011? Hell if I know, as I am a little behind on this year's releases.. but it is certainly worthy of a good rating, in my opinion.

Couldn't agree more with all that! If the new Queensryche is the year's low for a well-known, legendary band's new album, (and for me, it definitely is. Even the new Morbid Angel is nowhere near as awful... lol) then Anthrax is definitely the year's high. (so far at least, still waiting for the new Iced Earth, Testament, and Megadeth!) The album is diverse, and I see this very much as the album's strength. It's heavy, fast, catchy, melodic, emotional, modern, yet at times also classic, with massive hooks that have embedded themselves in my brain and won't leave! lol xD

As for one of the best of 2011... well, I can say I have already played this album in full more times than any other album released this year. And I haven't even bought it yet! Whether it'll be my album of the year or not, it's too early to say, but it'll be top 5 definitely, without a doubt.

And I just learned to play "Earth On Hell" on guitar, it's great fun to play!
09.09.2011 - 03:22
Timmeh
Dudeman
After playing for the first time and listening to "Earth On Hell" I was like wow they're back hell yes. But as the album progressed I went from 'hell yes' to 'ok pretty rockin' album then to 'urgh it's just above average'. Dissapointing, why is it so hard for these bands to just write Thrash? Particularly Anthrax who were one of the thrashiest of them all, not this mainstream heavyness that ain't even that heavy.
09.09.2011 - 07:18
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Timmeh on 09.09.2011 at 03:22

After playing for the first time and listening to "Earth On Hell" I was like wow they're back hell yes. But as the album progressed I went from 'hell yes' to 'ok pretty rockin' album then to 'urgh it's just above average'. Dissapointing, why is it so hard for these bands to just write Thrash? Particularly Anthrax who were one of the thrashiest of them all, not this mainstream heavyness that ain't even that heavy.

And if the whole album was thrash, you'd have some people complaining about them just trying to cash in on their glory days, jumping on the thrash bandwagon just because thrash has enjoyed a resurgance in popularity in recent years, and just playing the same old stuff. :\ No matter what a band does, certain sections of people will criticise it.

At least for me personally, if the whole album was thrash, it would dilute the impact of songs like "Earth On Hell", "The Giant", and "Fight Em' Til You Can't", which are songs that truly do recapture their old school thrash magic. The album is diverse, and diverse albums more than any other, will polarise opinion. I like the way it mixes up the Joey era with the John Bush era, and the more melodic nature of some of the material is just perfect for Joey's voice. xD Of course, people who only enjoy their pure thrash stuff will be disappointed with the new album, but like I said, you can't please everyone... *shrugs* lol
09.09.2011 - 09:23
Daniell
_爱情_
elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 09.09.2011 at 07:18

Written by Timmeh on 09.09.2011 at 03:22

And if the whole album was thrash, you'd have some people complaining about them just trying to cash in on their glory days, jumping on the thrash bandwagon just because thrash has enjoyed a resurgance in popularity in recent years, and just playing the same old stuff. :\ No matter what a band does, certain sections of people will criticise it.

Anyone who would criticise Anthrax for release a thrash album would have to be seen as an idiot - you can't blame originators of thrash for playing thrash.
09.09.2011 - 11:56
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Daniell on 09.09.2011 at 09:23
Anyone who would criticise Anthrax for release a thrash album would have to be seen as an idiot - you can't blame originators of thrash for playing thrash.

Well, you just need to look at "Death Magnetic" for an example. Metallica are also one of the originators of thrash, but that didn't stop loads of people claiming they were only starting to play thrash again because it was coming back into favour and popularity. Granted, Anthrax aren't as big as Metallica so the backlash wouldn't have been so great, but for sure they would face that same criticsm, just to a lesser extent. This isn't my opinion by the way, I'm just highlighting that it's impossible for any band to please everyone. STD and Persistence are my fave Anthrax albums, so of course Id be happy if they made another album like those two.

But I feel like songwriting wise, "Worship Music" is a very strong album. It's modern, but with classic touches, and is probably the best vehicle musically for Joey's vocals they have ever came up with. Which is ironic, as most of the music on the album was created before he rejoined. lol But of course, anyone expecting (and wanting) the whole album to be thrash would be disappointed, so I'm definitely not surprised that some people are disappointed by it.
09.09.2011 - 12:51
Daniell
_爱情_
elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 09.09.2011 at 11:56

Written by Daniell on 09.09.2011 at 09:23

Well, you just need to look at "Death Magnetic" for an example. Metallica are also one of the originators of thrash, but that didn't stop loads of people claiming they were only starting to play thrash again because it was coming back into favour and popularity.

Sad, but true. People can be mean in an incredibly high number of ways, and that's one of them. Metallica is in such a position, that whatever they release, they willl be hated anyway. Anthrax have worked hard for this kind of reception as well - removing a great singer to get in an old one to rip fans off on the 80's nostalgia bandwagon. Besides, they made so many changes of lineup, making such a pathetic tabloid story out of it, that, in my opinion, they deserve all the hate just for that.

Written by Angelic Storm on 09.09.2011 at 11:56

But I feel like songwriting wise, "Worship Music" is a very strong album. It's modern, but with classic touches, and is probably the best vehicle musically for Joey's vocals they have ever came up with. Which is ironic, as most of the music on the album was created before he rejoined. lol But of course, anyone expecting (and wanting) the whole album to be thrash would be disappointed, so I'm definitely not surprised that some people are disappointed by it.

I don't really want the whole album to be thrash. What I do want however, is for the album to be interesting, which is not the case here. "Worship Music" has 2 good songs. The rest is pretty bland and forced. 5 is the max rating I can give. For the sake of you and others who like the album, I hope I won't get to review it
09.09.2011 - 13:21
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Daniell on 09.09.2011 at 12:51
Sad, but true. People can be mean in an incredibly high number of ways, and that's one of them. Metallica is in such a position, that whatever they release, they willl be hated anyway. Anthrax have worked hard for this kind of reception as well - removing a great singer to get in an old one to rip fans off on the 80's nostalgia bandwagon. Besides, they made so many changes of lineup, making such a pathetic tabloid story out of it, that, in my opinion, they deserve all the hate just for that.

Yep, you're absolutely right about Metallica. Hypothetically, (cos it will never ever actually happen... lol) they could release an album as great as "Ride The Lightning" now, and they'd still be hammered by certain metalheads. Whatever they do now, they will be hated by some. Oh, I definitely can't defend the shenanigans going on with Anthrax over the last few years. They treated John Bush like crap, and also Joey. (and very likely Dan Nelson as well) Although Im very happy that Joey decided to come back once again, I certainly would not have blamed him, and would have understood totally, if he had told them where to stick it when they approached him again. The fact that I love "Worship Music" in no way means I condone the actions of Charlie and especially Scott when it comes to their treatment of lead singers. Scott is an awesome rhythm guitarist, and I respect that, but as a person, he comes across as an idiot.

Written by Daniell on 09.09.2011 at 12:51
I don't really want the whole album to be thrash. What I do want however, is for the album to be interesting, which is not the case here. "Worship Music" has 2 good songs. The rest is pretty bland and forced. 5 is the max rating I can give. For the sake of you and others who like the album, I hope I won't get to review it

Hey, I for one, wouldn't mind if you did review it. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, just because I like an album, doesn't mean I automatically expect everyone else to like it as well. Only overtly biased reviews where most of the criticsm/praise is quite obviously not directed at the music itself, do I have a problem, and would take issue with it. I definitely wouldn't want to review it. I'd probably be too positive about it and come across like a stupid fangirl. lol
10.09.2011 - 00:45
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Sounds like a good enough album. i gotta say within the context of the whole record, tracks 3 and 4 really make more sense. the rest didn't catch my ear too much but definitely a solid album and a good comeback.
10.09.2011 - 01:17
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by whitepawel on 08.09.2011 at 03:01

As I said, I wanted something like The Greater Of Two Evils which is far more thrashy than this crap. I know about 5000 metal/rock albums and I just can't be that kind when a band like Anthrax releases something like this. And I'm pretty sure that it will have a 8,5 rating and would be on the list of this year's best albums here on Metal Storm which I found silly

Dude, the Greater of Two Evils is a compilation, not an actual album. Comparing the two is just pointless.
So, you are either full of crap or a diehard Bush fan that's butthurt because Belladonna (who's better than Bush by a country mile) came back and replaced Bush. Anthrax was never Thrash with Bush on. With Belladonna, they were one of the reinging champions of Thrash Metal.
10.09.2011 - 04:19
whitepawel
Written by Guest on 10.09.2011 at 01:17

Written by whitepawel on 08.09.2011 at 03:01

Dude, the Greater of Two Evils is a compilation, not an actual album. Comparing the two is just pointless.
So, you are either full of crap or a diehard Bush fan that's butthurt because Belladonna (who's better than Bush by a country mile) came back and replaced Bush. Anthrax was never Thrash with Bush on. With Belladonna, they were one of the reinging champions of Thrash Metal.

I know that The Greater Of Two Evils is a compilation of re-recordings. I was talking about its musical style which is something like a modern thrash. I also know that Anthrax was never thrash with Bush on. That's why I wanted more thrashy album when Joey came back. I thought that they just have to change those new songs in these years because the public would expect something more similar to the old Belladonna-Anthrax. And what? That Dan Nelson could sing on this one. It wouldn't make any difference.
10.09.2011 - 04:22
The John
Downloaded this album onto my ipod and it is honestly FUCKIN AMAZING, A LOT OF SONGS WERE EPIC, all together i give this an 8.65, not their best but its their SECOND best
10.09.2011 - 23:37
JD
Account deleted
I haven't enjoyed Anthrax since Among The Living.

Great album indeed!
11.09.2011 - 12:12
Rating: 8
pazuzuovbabel
Pazuzu
Written by Guest on 10.09.2011 at 23:37

I haven't enjoyed Anthrax since Among The Living.

Great album indeed!

Indeed "BOR"
12.09.2011 - 23:05
Rating: 7
0_byte
Good album.
The main riff from song "The Constant" is exelent.
13.09.2011 - 00:57
Rating: 8
ChapuLviz
Tropical Goat
contributor
This Album sucks!!!... Really....
13.09.2011 - 01:14
whitepawel
Written by ChapuLviz on 13.09.2011 at 00:57

Thank You!
13.09.2011 - 01:22
John Shock

Written by Angelic Storm on 06.09.2011 at 22:32

Written by John Shock on 06.09.2011 at 22:14
Do you know Apostasy? ...Is that of your style?

If you mean the Behemoth album, then yes I do know it... if you mean anything else, then I don't.. lol

Ah Ah you actually rate it 9 ...like you said! Well, it's not perfect but it's nice!
13.09.2011 - 01:31
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by whitepawel on 13.09.2011 at 01:14

Written by ChapuLviz on 13.09.2011 at 00:57

Thank You!

Still sore about Bush leaving I see.
13.09.2011 - 04:50
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by John Shock on 13.09.2011 at 01:22

Ah Ah you actually rate it 9 ...like you said! Well, it's not perfect but it's nice!

Woah, it didn't take you very long to notice, did it! hehe "Crawl" actually has started growing on me the last couple of times I've listened to the album, but still... for me it's just not quite perfect. 9.5 I'm pretty sure is my final rating for the album, but I could only give it that, if I reviewed it... lol xD

Hits total: 53958 | This month: 62