Disc II [1995 reissue bonus disc]
01. Rainbow's Gold [Beckett cover]
02. Mission From 'Arry
03. King Of The Twilight [Nektar cover]
04. The Number Of The Beast [live]

Top 20 albums of 1984: 2
Featured in "Getting Into: Iron Maiden"

Additional info
Produced, engineering & mixing by Martin Birch.
Mastering by George Marino.
Cover art & photography by Derek Riggs, Moshe Brakha, Rod Smallwood & Ross Halfin.

When you look carefully on the hieroglyphics on the pyramids, you'll see "encoded" the words "Bollocks", "Indiana Jones was here" and "Wot, no Guinness?"

Guest review by
Deadly Sin
Rating:
This has to be one of Iron Maiden's best albums of all. It has everything from a fast and furious metal assault such as "Aces High", to an instrumental song such as "Losfer Words".

It all starts off with "Aces High", a song about WWII dogfights. A good heavy metal song with a good amount of guitar solo's and superb lyrics. It has a memorable tune that you keep rocking to in your head for hours. Next comes another classic song "2 Minutes to Midnight". Slower than the previous song, the guitars are very tight while the rhythm is powerbul as Dickinson sings away. The many guitar solos in this kick some metal ass. Next comes "Losfer Words" one of the four instrumental's that Iron Maiden has done. Not as great as the other's but definitely worth the time to listen to. The drums keep a constant sound with some nice guitar and bass in there also. The next song is a definite killer; "Flash of the Blade" starts off with a nice guitar solo then picks up into a nice beat. A great song about being a swordsman and it rocks to the very end. The next is "Duellists" a kind of cross bread between "Flash of the Blade" and "Powerslave" a bit, definitely worth listing to but not as great as the others. Another metal assault is "Back in the Village"; this song is good all around a nice blend of drums and guitar. "Powerslave", well what can I say, its killer, lyrics about an evil Egyptian god and great music to fallow it up, an instant classic. The last song on the list is "Rime of the Ancient Mariner", this song pounds with base, the drums flowing and the guitar sounds ever so killer.

Read more ››
published 18.09.2003 | Comments (54)

Found in 172 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 49   Visited by: 2794 users
10.07.2010 - 08:00
Rating: 10
cjguitar40

POWERSLAVE is one of THE BEST Heavy Metal recordings of all time. They somehow improved on the songwriting and melodic , majestic power they produced on "Piece of Mind" and just went to a level of perfection that is still beautiful and unmatched in metal. Even 26 years later the musicianship and vocal quality of POWERSLAVE, honestly, can't be topped. "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" is possibly the best Iron Maiden song every written , IMO. POWERSLAVE is a true work of art in the heavy metal world. You ain't metal if you've never owned this album , seriously.
10.07.2010 - 09:26
Angelic Storm
Melodious
What can I say? This is my fave Maiden album. (and it has very strong competition from Maiden's other awesome 80's albums!) Pure heavy metal perfection. xD
10.07.2010 - 09:28
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I hate to beat a dead horse here, but i do think that the album kinda loses pace in the middle, specifically tracks 5 and 6. anyway other than that pure classic heavy metal, unmistakable riffs, mindblowing bass work(imo by far Steve's best work is on this album), genius vocals(even though Bruce can't pull off Aces High live to save his life) everything is 90% perfect, so i give this album a 9
04.04.2011 - 17:23
Rating: 9
zero

Best maiden album
04.04.2011 - 17:40
Yasmine

I agree, my favorite from them as well.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
11.04.2011 - 00:15
melisa

Excellent Album.
10.05.2011 - 22:28
antonio2

This album Rocks!
30.05.2011 - 19:52
Torolf~Godsmote

This is by far... well of course I'm gonna say this album is my most desired favorite from iron Maiden (Along with Number of the Beast) Iron Maiden is by far the name of Metal!

Ladies and Gents... Satan's work is done!
09.06.2011 - 07:21
Sepulnation

Excellent album...
----
fuck shit up!
15.06.2011 - 03:44
Mattybu

Unbelievably good. Every song has reasons for me to keep coming back.
30.06.2011 - 07:51
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
EPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPIC!!!

30.06.2011 - 19:53
sandra2

I listen to it every day
26.07.2011 - 02:45
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Written by Valentin B on 10.07.2010 at 09:28

I hate to beat a dead horse here, but i do think that the album kinda loses pace in the middle, specifically tracks 5 and 6. anyway other than that pure classic heavy metal, unmistakable riffs, mindblowing bass work(imo by far Steve's best work is on this album), genius vocals(even though Bruce can't pull off Aces High live to save his life) everything is 90% perfect, so i give this album a 9

I agree about track 5 and 6. Good songs, but not as good as others like Aces High, 2 Minutes and the epic title track. ;d
26.07.2011 - 05:41
Jirpo

The Duellists is amazing in my opinion, so is Flash of the Blade.
26.09.2011 - 20:10
Rating: 8
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
I like it but i probably am just not into heavy metal any more. i absolutely love the first 2 songs which i lfirst listened in my childhood unlike the other that after many spins didnt manage to make me say "awesome". i enjoy them but nothing more...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
09.11.2011 - 05:26
Lit.
Account deleted
Every song sends my soul to a different dimension.
19.01.2012 - 04:44
teniva

One of the greatest albums ever..
24.01.2012 - 14:43
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
Good record. Though, it's not my favourite Maiden album.
The title track and Rime of the Ancient Mariner are the songs I enjoy the most, but The Duellists is also a nice song with lyrics matching the music.
Well, Aces High is a great song too, but I guess I'm too tired of hearing countless covers of it through the years so it doesn't make me bang my head anymore.
Also... Am I the only who, while listening to the main riff from 2 Minutes to Midnight, can't help but think of the riff from Venom's Welcome to Hell?
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"
13.04.2012 - 23:04
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
The album starts greatly, and then lose it's pace too fast. The first two tracks and the title track are masterpieces, the rest is boring. And seriously, Losfer Words and Back in the Village are in my group of the most boring maiden songs ever.

Hm... to tell the truth, every maiden album has at least one annoying filler amongst the great songs, every! (except for Seventh son [... ).
01.06.2012 - 01:27
neiluria

This album holds a treasure...
" Rime Of The Ancient Mariner"
01.08.2012 - 23:28
JÄY
Metal slave
By no means is this release under rated, but It just rubs me the wrong way seeing number of the beast rated higher
02.10.2012 - 14:07
LordHypnos
Account deleted
The Duellists is boring. If at least it was shorter...
09.11.2012 - 23:14
megadeath13
Account deleted
And another masterpiece from Harris &. co. Rime of the ancient Mariner is the best track Maiden ever released, in my opinion.
12.11.2012 - 21:33
Rating: 7
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I wouldn't rank this among my favorite Maiden releases, but god damn, the band REALLY out did themselves with Rime of the Ancient Mariner! One of their best songs for sure!
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
24.02.2013 - 01:41
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Still classic but I dont think best .... omnly 2 songs are huge killers, Aces Hight and 2 Minutes To Midnight, real is lonmg song, seems after it IM likes working on longer songs
but its good album, I dunno if they wanted to go into studio, or record companies push,m if they did, then it came out good, good album ayway , but not best than some of you say
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
09.03.2013 - 16:35
Aristarchos

Maiden is my favourite band, but this isn't one of their best ones. Only love 2 minutes and the title track.
09.03.2013 - 17:32
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Love this album. A classic. I even love the songs in middle of the album...
----
rekt
21.05.2013 - 23:00
Illog1cal
Account deleted
The quintessential Heavy Metal album.
09.06.2013 - 00:26
Necdilzor

Written by Angelic Storm on 10.07.2010 at 09:26

What can I say? This is my fave Maiden album. (and it has very strong competition from Maiden's other awesome 80's albums!) Pure heavy metal perfection. xD

This. Exactly the same for me.
22.03.2014 - 10:26
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by deadone on 21.03.2014 at 01:37

And when it comes down to it, this is where Heavy Fuckin Metal starts and finishes in my book. The epitome of the genre. Nothing has ever topped this in my book.

Starts AND finishes. Big call, mate. Damn good album though.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...

Hits total: 77197 | This month: 184