1056 have it
91 want it
2 trade it

01. Dusk Falls Upon The Temple Of The Serpent On The Mount Of Sunrise
02. Cast Down The Heretic
03. Sacrifice Unto Sebek
04. User-Maat-Re
05. The Burning Pits Of The Duat
06. Chapter Of Obeisance Before Giving Breath To The Inert One In The Presence Of The Crescent-Shaped Horns
07. Lashed To The Slave Stick
08. Spawn Of Uamenti
09. Annihilation Of The Wicked
10. Von Unaussprechlichen Kulten
11. Sss Haa Set Yoth [Japanese bonus]

The Best Death Metal Album Of 2005
Top 20 albums of 2005: 9
Top 200 albums of all time: 183

Additional info
Released via Relapse Records.

Recorded at The Sound Lab in Columbia, South Carolina, December 2004 - January 2005.
Mixed at Rax Trax in Chicago.
Recorded, mixed, and produced by Neil Kernon.
Recording engineering by Bob Moore.

The collector's edition (5,000 copies) comes in a tin box with a custom serpent-ankh necklace, full-color album poster, vinyl sticker, and embroidered patch.

Vinyl presses:
100 clear
200 blue swirl/black
700 tan
900 gray
1500 black (180g)

Guest review by
Passenger
Rating:
In such an over explored style like Death Metal it takes a really original and virtuous band to achieve success and project their name to the top of the fans' list of favourites right on their first album. But you just started to read a review about Nile, so you already know that they are unmatchable and dominate all their instruments with the most perfect chaotic precision; to expect the best is never a mistake. "Annihilation Of The Wicked" is their fourth strike, the follow up for the masterpiece "In Their Darkened Shrines", and, well, if there was a lot to be said about the past works there's probably even more to say about this one.

Read more ››
published 03.07.2005 | Comments (24)

Guest review by
danielllewis
Rating:
What else can be said about Nile? They are far greater than the average death metal band with how they manage to successfully combine raw brutality and technicality with melodic and doomy elements, all topped off with an Egyptian theme. Annihilation Of The Wicked is no exception. If for some reason you haven't heard Nile before, you're in for a treat. With Annihilation Of The Wicked, Nile has taken what they had done before, and improved upon it in every way.

Read more ››
published 29.05.2009 | Comments (14)

Found in 82 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 86   Visited by: 1564 users
25.08.2013 - 16:43
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Half and half if you ask me, this album anyway.
25.08.2013 - 17:19
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by psykometal on 25.08.2013 at 16:00
Didn't say they weren't brutal, just that they're more technical than they are brutal.

And I agree, Annihilation is definitely the highlight of their career. I enjoyed their earlier works, especially In Their Darkened Shrines, but Annihilation of the Wicked is by far and above my favorite Nile album.

Oh I knew that, I was just having a bit of fun. hehe

Annihilation... is a fantastic album, gathering all that's great about their music, with what is probably the best production job they've had. The sound on that album is wonderful, I don't like the production as much on the follow up albums. Annihilation... is a beast from start to finish, definitely one the best death metal albums of the modern era.
25.08.2013 - 22:11
Rating: 9
mz
Written by psykometal on 25.08.2013 at 14:38

Written by mz on 25.08.2013 at 12:47

This album, and nile in general are among very few brutal death metal albums/bands wich I enjoy. Still one of my favorite death metal records

They're really more technical than they are brutal.

No doubt that they are more technical than brutal in their later albums but on this one, I think that brutality has the dominant role. Take "lashed to the slave stick" for instance: It does not contain solo and also, there are not much variation is guitar work during the whole song. It IMO is one really impressive brutal death metal song and seems a little simple compare to typical death metal songs.
Also, another reason for me to call them brutal death metal is that I enjoy tech death more than brutal death and its rare for me to enjoy an album with obvious and overwhelming brutal elements.
Anyway, lets agree that AoTW is a really kick ass album
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
25.08.2013 - 22:26
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by mz on 25.08.2013 at 22:11
No doubt that they are more technical than brutal in their later albums but on this one, I think that brutality has the dominant role. Take "lashed to the slave stick" for instance: It does not contain solo and also, there are not much variation is guitar work during the whole song. It IMO is one really impressive brutal death metal song band seems a little simple compare to typical death metal songs.
Also, another reason for me to call them brutal death metal is that I enjoy tech death more than brutal death and its rare for me to enjoy an album with obvious and overwhelming brutal elements.
Anyway, lets agree that AoTW is a really kick ass album

If you go more back in time then you'd see they were even more brutal. I think Black Seeds Of Vengeance is their most brutal one. I think it's similar to their debut in that sense but the production is more raw and cavernous making that album more of a brutal beast.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
25.08.2013 - 22:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Nothing brutal about them at all.

Calling Nile brutal is like calling Morbid Angel or Deicide brutal. Totall ludicrous if you ask me.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.08.2013 - 22:33
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.08.2013 at 22:30

Calling Nile brutal is like calling Morbid Angel or Deicide brutal. Totall ludicrous if you ask me.

Definitely Agreed.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
25.08.2013 - 22:50
mz
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.08.2013 at 22:30

your comment on MechanisT's list about tech death:
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.08.2011 at 23:35

Shame for you Decapitated, Nile and Death (especialy TSOP which isn't even
death metal) aren't techdeathl

So, nile is neither brutal death metal nor tech death and they play just standard death metal ?
----
25.08.2013 - 22:51
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by X-Ray Rod on 25.08.2013 at 22:26
If you go more back in time then you'd see they were even more brutal. I think Black Seeds Of Vengeance is their most brutal one. I think it's similar to their debut in that sense but the production is more raw and cavernous making that album more of a brutal beast.

Black Seeds is definitely their most brutal album, and it also has the rawest production of any Nile album, even more so than the debut. The production sucks some of the subtleties out of the music, but it is a vicious and unrelenting album for most of it's runtime. I don't think Nile are a brutal death band, but they certainly have brutal death elements in their music, especially on their earlier material. Brutal death is generally, a very one dimensional genre, which is something that certainly can't be applied to Nile's music. Just about the only fitting description for Nile, is that they are "death metal", as their sound is too expansive for it to fit neatly within any of the sub-genres of death metal.
25.08.2013 - 22:56
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Nile has nop brutal elements in their music just like Dead Congregation, Morbid Angel, Deicide have no burtal elements in their music whatsoever. Not in their early material iand not in their current material.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.08.2013 - 23:01
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.08.2013 at 22:56

Nile has nop brutal elements in their music just like Dead Congregation, Morbid Angel, Deicide have no burtal elements in their music whatsoever. Not in their early material iand not in their current material.

On Nile, I'd have to totally disagree with that. And I can't say I've ever heard anyone saying that Morbid Angel or Deicide's music has brutal death elements in it. The first two Nile albums are definitely more brutal than anything either of those bands have put out. "Legion" by Deicide is a very volatile and aggressive album, but nothing about it is brutal death.
25.08.2013 - 23:12
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Nile sound nothing like Morbid Angel, Dead Congregation or Deicide so it wasn't even worth mentioning those bands, except to point out the fact Nile are far more brutal on certain records than those bands have ever been, and certainly crossing over into brutal death territory from time to time. This album is a mix of brutal and tech death, as is the likes of, say, None So Vile.
25.08.2013 - 23:14
mz
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.08.2013 at 22:56

your typos make me believe that you are drunk right now. Right?
Seriously,they are not even technical death metal?
----
25.08.2013 - 23:15
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Yep, Joe, 100% agreed on your above statement.
25.08.2013 - 23:19
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I've always believed a band can be brutal death and not sound like Suffocation or Devourment. Apparently a lot of people don't see it that way.
25.08.2013 - 23:25
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by mz on 25.08.2013 at 23:14

They clearly have elements of technical and brutal death in their sound, without actually falling into either genre neatly. Nile aren't a band that's easily pigeonholed. lol

Written by Guest on 25.08.2013 at 23:19

I've always believed a band can be brutal death and not sound like Suffocation or Devourment. Apparently a lot of people don't see it that way.

Yup! The thing is, there's actually a world of difference between a band that plays brutal death exclusively, and a band that merely has elements of brutal death in their music. A band in the latter category is not necessarily going to sound much like a band in the former category. Especially in the case of a band like Nile, who have a more expansive sound.
25.08.2013 - 23:27
mz
Written by Angelic Storm on 25.08.2013 at 23:21

Written by mz on 25.08.2013 at 23:14

They clearly have elements of technical and brutal death in their sound, without actually falling into either genre neatly. Nile aren't a band that's easily pigeonholed. lol

I agree on this. They are not an exclusively technical or brutal band and borrow elements from both
----
25.08.2013 - 23:32
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Angelic Storm on 25.08.2013 at 23:25

Yup! The thing is, there's actually a world of difference between a band that plays brutal death exclusively, and a band that merely has elements of brutal death in their music. A band in the latter category is not necessarily going to sound much like a band in the former category. Especially in the case of a band like Nile, who have a more expansive sound.

You could probably even argue that Nile have a progressive edge on some of their lengthier, more convoluted tracks with the use of non-metal instruments etc.
25.08.2013 - 23:42
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Guest on 25.08.2013 at 23:32
You could probably even argue that Nile have a progressive edge on some of their lengthier, more convoluted tracks with the use of non-metal instruments etc.

Oh, absolutely! I'd say without any hesitation that there is definitely a progressive edge on certain Nile songs. The use of non-metal instruments (including authentic Egyptian instrumentation), as well as the more cavernous, expansive arrangements in some songs, certainly adds a prog element to their sound. I think many people just don't associate prog with Nile, because nothing about their music comes off as pretentious, or being wildly obtuse for it's own sake. It never comes across as "show-offy".
26.08.2013 - 09:04
mz
Written by Angelic Storm on 25.08.2013 at 23:42

... nothing about their music comes off as pretentious, or being wildly obtuse for it's own sake. It never comes across as "show-offy".

That I would disagree. Nile are show-offy and pretentious on certain level, especially on their latter albums which they lean more toward tech death. Also, it is easy to call them an ambitious band (which is not neccessarily a bad thing). For example, the length of their songs is just too long for a band as extreme as they.
----
26.08.2013 - 11:01
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by mz on 26.08.2013 at 09:04
That I would disagree. Nile are show-offy and pretentious on certain level, especially on their latter albums which they lean more toward tech death. Also, it is easy to call them an ambitious band (which is not neccessarily a bad thing). For example, the length of their songs is just too long for a band as extreme as they.

Nah, I don't think the post-Annihilation albums are pretentious at all. Their first long song "To Dream Of Ur", is actually on "Black Seeds Of Vengeance", so that has been an aspect of their sound for most of their career. Just because the latter albums are a bit cleaner in terms of sonics, and a touch more technical, doesn't make them pretentious to me...
26.08.2013 - 11:49
mz
Written by Angelic Storm on 26.08.2013 at 11:01

Written by mz on 26.08.2013 at 09:04

Nah, I don't think the post-Annihilation albums are pretentious at all. Their first long song "To Dream Of Ur", is actually on "Black Seeds Of Vengeance", so that has been an aspect of their sound for most of their career. Just because the latter albums are a bit cleaner in terms of sonics, and a touch more technical, doesn't make them pretentious to me...

I did not meant that the longer songs started to appear on their latter albums. Also, I associate these songs with their ambitious and not pretentious, as I clearly stated. Anyway, I think that considering a band pretentious is a subjective matter and thus, let's agree to disagree . The thing that matters is that I really like some of nile's albums and this one in particular despite the fact they sound (slightly )pretentious on my ears
----
26.08.2013 - 12:22
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by mz on 26.08.2013 at 11:49
Anyway, I think that considering a band pretentious is a subjective matter and thus, let's agree to disagree .

I don't think it's a subjective matter in all cases, but it is in most cases. Sounds good to me! lol
12.09.2013 - 15:39
nille
Just say masterpiece
12.09.2013 - 15:43
nille
A unique and wonderful album ...
Death Metal is a masterpiece ...
^Nile^ is one of the best and most excellent death metal death metal is forever in the hearts of fans
12.09.2013 - 15:50
nille
Drums George Kollias this album is very professional ...
I think this album was a drums storm .... Full technique
12.09.2013 - 15:54
nille
I heard the drummer with the power of nowhere and no album!!
26.03.2014 - 18:37
Rating: 10
Rulatore
Their best album. It even has their very best song (Cast down the Heretic). One of my all time favorites for sure.
26.03.2014 - 18:38
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Rulatore on 26.03.2014 at 18:37

Their best album. It even has their very best song (Cast down the Heretic).

Yes, and yes. That solo.
26.03.2014 - 18:47
psykometal
A staff guy...
elite
I used to think this was their best album. Nowadays I feel that In Their Darkened Shrines is their best album, with this album coming in second.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

26.03.2014 - 20:29
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by psykometal on 26.03.2014 at 18:47

I used to think this was their best album. Nowadays I feel that In Their Darkened Shrines is their best album, with this album coming in second.

just the same!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!

Hits total: 33278 | This month: 71