Agalloch - The Mantle

9.2 | 1752 votes |
Release date: 13 August 2002
Style: Neofolk, Atmospheric black metal

Owners:

1804 have it
180 want it
3 trade it

01. A Celebration For The Death Of Man...
02. In The Shadow Of Our Pale Companion
03. Odal
04. I Am The Wooden Doors
05. The Lodge
06. You Were But A Ghost In My Arms
07. The Hawthorne Passage
08. ...And The Great Cold Death Of The Earth
09. A Desolation Song

Top 20 albums of 2002: 1
Top 200 albums of all time: 10
Featured in "Getting Into: Agalloch"

Line-up
John Haughm - vocals, guitars, drums, percussion, ebow, woodchimes, samples
Donald L. Anderson - guitars, piano
Jason William Walton - bass, noisescape

Additional musicians:
Danielle Norton - trombone
Ty Brubaker - double bass, accordion
Ronn Chick - synths, mandolin, bells, programming
Aaron Sholes - samples
Neta Smolack - samples

Staff review by
Dream Taster
Rating:
In the true musical lineage of Opeth and Katatonia, Agalloch is one of these mystic and melancholic bands, excelling at playing a smart blend of Doom Metal and few elements from Melodic Death Metal, such as the voice a la Dark Tranquillity. Established as one of the best combos in their style and one of America's most interesting bands, Agalloch was founded in Portland, Oregon in late 1995. After a couple of demos, they scored a deal with The End Records in 1998 and their debut album Pale Folklore was released in 1999. In 2001, a limited MCD entitled Of Stone, Wind and Pillor was released and they then worked on today's chapter, their second full-length album, The Mantle. Agalloch is composed by John Haughm , Don Anderson and Jason William Walton .

Read more ››
published 03.06.2004 | Comments (20)

Guest review by
telephonebear
Rating:
Agalloch are a band that I have only recently started listening to, but they are the first band in a long time that I have fallen in love with instantly. Most of my favourites have grown on me overtime but there was something about The Mantle that captured me immediately.

I tend to listen to cleaner vocal songs, although there are death metal bands I like, but I thought I would be put off by Haughm's raspy blackened vocals. Instead I found them really beautiful the way they weave in and out of the music. That was the thing that struck me most about Agalloch: the beauty of it. The general formula seems to be power chords on electric guitar with gentle twangy acoustic melodies over the top. This works really nicely and the juxtaposition of the heavy and the soft is mirrored when Haugm's vocals become more tuneful. The first time this occurs is in "In The Shadow of Our Pale Companion"-the magnum opus of the album and Agalloch's best along with "Not Unlike the Waves" four years later. The rasps and whispers build up to an epic sounding tuneful cry which gives me shivers every time. The vocals then vary between these two styles, as well as monotone almost talking and whispers through the rest of the album, in a very fluid way. There is no clean verse to harsh verse pattern; it all blends into each other.

Read more ››
published 30.01.2014 | Comments (23)

It is only now that I realize how ironic it is that one of the most wintery albums out there was released in the summer. The August from 20 years ago gave us this masterpiece, and this is one of those kind of albums where it's very uncontroversial to call it as such. "In The Shadow Of Our Pale Companion" only gets competition from "East Hastings" as my favorite song of all time, and I've mentioned time and time again how discovering this album about ten years ago was a paradigm shift for me and my music taste. It's interesting see how I still connect to The Mantle after all these years, even though sometimes I feel it's either too pompous or meandering for its own good, there are very few albums with such a great interplay between electric and acoustic guitars, and that so effectively merge atmospheric black metal into post-rock structures. And all of it feels magical years later.

RaduP's picks | More picks ››

Found in 167 lists
Top lists

Comments page 4 / 5

Comments: 142   Visited by: 3189 users
03.09.2016 - 19:16
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
A Desolation Song is the perfect closer for this album.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.09.2016 - 21:22
Pupkin

My favourite metal album so far. Magnificent.
15.11.2016 - 20:53
Rating: 10
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by Metren on 26.08.2016 at 18:41

I'm finally, very very slowly learning to appreciate this album and this band. Can't wait for the right moment to listen to this in the winter by the fireplace with a glass of mulled wine in my hand.

And that time has come, rather sooner than I had expected. It's snowing (has been for days, even though it is only November), there's a fire warming my room, mulled wine to drink and this album. Perfect, absolutely perfect. Sometimes life's good
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
12.12.2016 - 18:47
Rating: 9
Sang Dalang Abu

From Atmospheric Black Metal to Folk Metal, Dark Folk, Neofolk, Doom Metal, Post-Rock, Progressive Metal, I hear all of them in this fuckin album, still impressive.
02.02.2017 - 18:05
VIG
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 03.09.2016 at 18:33

Written by Guest on 03.09.2016 at 16:44

10000000000000000000000000000000000000/10

wish i could listen to it for the first time again

Oh wow, i would give this a 7 out of 10 now maybe 8
03.02.2017 - 12:59
VIG
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 03.02.2017 at 09:13

Written by Guest on 02.02.2017 at 18:05

Written by Guest on 03.09.2016 at 18:33

wish i could listen to it for the first time again

you're not allowed to change your opinion

but I am.
04.04.2017 - 23:50
VIG
Account deleted
Quote:

I swear, I was an idiot when I wrote that, this is a 10/10. My opinion changes too much.
05.04.2017 - 14:37
VIG
Account deleted
Quote:
Written by Guest on 05.04.2017 at 12:38

Written by Guest on 04.04.2017 at 23:50

I swear, I was an idiot when I wrote that, this is a 10/10. My opinion changes too much.

lmao what the hell man

I don't even know.
01.10.2017 - 10:57
Kvothe

Agalloch is definitely the band with the best finals in the metal. From And the great cold death of the earth, A desolation song and Bloodbirds from Ashes I feel a satisfying saisfaccion that leaves me a feeling that something divine happened. Definitely this album and Ashes are in my top 20 metal albums of all time.
----
Here, waiting very quiet right in front Valaritas, the door that hides the tomb.
02.10.2017 - 09:25
Paz

I just got the remastered version of this masterpiece on vinyl. It looks as cool as it sounds!

06.12.2017 - 22:09
Branowar
Account deleted
This album bores me.
02.01.2018 - 03:47
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Listening to this in Cusco... it fits

How can this album be so damn near-perfect?
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
03.01.2018 - 23:00
VIG
Account deleted
Written by Maco on 02.01.2018 at 03:47

How can this album be so damn near-perfect?

Yet you gave it a 10 (meaning it is perfect)
04.01.2018 - 12:06
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Guest on 03.01.2018 at 23:00

Don't be a pedant. I'd give it a 10 as well, although I think the closing track is slightly underwhelming.
14.02.2018 - 04:04
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Guest on 03.01.2018 at 23:00

A 9.5 would round up
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
18.03.2018 - 18:23
Desha
delicious dish
I will never get the hype around this band.
----
You are the hammer, I am the nail
building a house in the fire on the hill
20.04.2018 - 06:28
Rating: 8
DeathMetal

Beautiful album, a bit boring at times, but I liked it none the less.
17.09.2018 - 07:41
Sang Dalang Abu

change your rate.
25.10.2018 - 04:29
GIO 616

It's a wonderful album, but a little long
25.10.2018 - 04:35
GIO 616

11.01.2019 - 13:48
Rating: 7
Mountain King
K i K o
Mmmm it's okay? It's too repetitive and the vocals are just regular growling. The classical guitars and the atmosphere of the album are the highlights but it all keeps going on in loops. I've heard better atmospheric albums and they also had better solos and better vocals. I'm not a big fan of growling but I do appreciate and even enjoy some growling when it's really good or fits the song. I mean, I expected that the metal storm rating was overblown out of proportions.

I think there are a lot of black / death / extreme/ atmospheric metal listeners on this site and anything that has atmosphere and growling which is half decent has the tendency to be a top album on metal storm. 7/10 and that's mainly for the originality, atmoshpere and production. Back in 2002 this must have been a fresh release.
11.01.2019 - 16:05
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Written by GIO 616 on 25.10.2018 at 04:35

Maybe you accidently listened to it twice?
(just like you posted this twice)

Anyway, I always fail to see people rating 10/10 but complaining about the length of an album.
If you really do think it's perfect, you should be happy for every single piece of music you received for your money, shouldn't you?
----
signatures = SPAM
11.01.2019 - 17:08
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Written by Mountain King on 11.01.2019 at 13:48

Mmmm it's okay? It's too repetitive and the vocals are just regular growling. The classical guitars and the atmosphere of the album are the highlights but it all keeps going on in loops. I've heard better atmospheric albums and they also had better solos and better vocals. I'm not a big fan of growling but I do appreciate and even enjoy some growling when it's really good or fits the song. I mean, I expected that the metal storm rating was overblown out of proportions.

I think there are a lot of black / death / extreme/ atmospheric metal listeners on this site and anything that has atmosphere and growling which is half decent has the tendency to be a top album on metal storm. 7/10 and that's mainly for the originality, atmoshpere and production. Back in 2002 this must have been a fresh release.

I am sharing most of your thoughts, in particular concerning the endless loops and the general grade of repetition.
I do not mind the growls at all, in fact, my favorite styles doom/death, death and black do not compute without growls. And I really do like the slower, mellow, accoustic spectrum of metal, too.
So looking at the ingredients of The Mantle and the encomia it accumulated, this should be one of my favorite albums. But it's not. In fact, I didn't even bother to ever purchase this.

Caused by the fulsome reviews, I bought Pale Folklore a couple of years ago. I gave it quite a couple of spins but just couldn't urge myself into liking it. It bored the pants off me and ended up 6/10.
Then people kept on telling me how paramount the following The Mantle was, but same story here. I just can't spot any outstanding highlights and riffs sticking in my mind are scarce exceptions.
I just re-listened and even right after these 68 minutes, I fail to recall a single melody or passage deserving all the praise this album gets. I'd even say the vocals and the instrumentals are at best of mediocre quality.
Luckily, I didn't spent any money finding out that this album barely contains anything I'd necessarily have to hear again.

I am happy for anyone adoring this album but I just don't get it.
----
signatures = SPAM
11.01.2019 - 19:51
Rating: 7
Mountain King
K i K o
Written by Starvynth on 11.01.2019 at 17:08

I am sharing most of your thoughts, in particular concerning the endless loops and the general grade of repetition.
I do not mind the growls at all, in fact, my favorite styles doom/death, death and black do not compute without growls. And I really do like the slower, mellow, accoustic spectrum of metal, too.
So looking at the ingredients of The Mantle and the encomia it accumulated, this should be one of my favorite albums. But it's not. In fact, I didn't even bother to ever purchase this.

Caused by the fulsome reviews, I bought Pale Folklore a couple of years ago. I gave it quite a couple of spins but just couldn't urge myself into liking it. It bored the pants off me and ended up 6/10.
Then people kept on telling me how paramount the following The Mantle was, but same story here. I just can't spot any outstanding highlights and riffs sticking in my mind are scarce exceptions.
I just re-listened and even right after these 68 minutes, I fail to recall a single melody or passage deserving all the praise this album gets. I'd even say the vocals and the instrumentals are at best of mediocre quality.
Luckily, I didn't spent any money finding out that this album barely contains anything I'd necessarily have to hear again.

I am happy for anyone adoring this album but I just don't get it.

Exactly my thoughts. I will have to check the rest of the discography because to be honest I'm not familiar with the other albums. I just saw their live DVD once but I don't recall anything specific.

When I saw the notification I thought I was being bashed by a fan for not liking the album so I'm glad I got to read such a constructive comment.

Have a great weekend.
11.01.2019 - 23:13
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Written by Mountain King on 11.01.2019 at 19:51

[...]
When I saw the notification I thought I was being bashed by a fan for not liking the album so I'm glad I got to read such a constructive comment.

Have a great weekend.

That's exactly what I thought when your notification popped up.
Your rating does still imply it's good, 7/10 should never justify hard bashing.
But maybe the hardcore fans are already waiting in the wings and poisoning their daggers? Who knows...

The same to you!
----
signatures = SPAM
01.10.2019 - 20:32
Stormm

Oh, The Mantle, atmospheric God album, right? Yeah, this album has giant mystic atmosphere all around. That's for sure. But overall, it's not perfect. Too much instrumentals where not much is happening and they're too long, still same acoustic guitars with same classic chords on and on. Featureless vocals.
27.12.2019 - 14:12
RaduP
CertifiedHipster

Having just listened to it for the first time in full in a very long while, and it having been my favorite album of all time for a very long time, I'm starting to agree with you a bit. This is an absolutely marvelous album, but it's dragged a bit down by repetitions, with are great motifs and all, but don't work that well with the album's length, hence why I usually just listened to either the first four songs or the last two. I honestly think this would've been a better record if The Lodge was somehow merged with The Hawthorne Passage and it flowed directly into And The Great Cold Death Of The Earth.

Try giving it another listen but remove The Hawthorne Passage and You Were But A Ghost In My Arms. In The Shadow Of Our Pale Companion is still my favorite song of all time, so at the very least relisten to the first two songs.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
19.12.2020 - 00:40
Redel

The formula of this album: alternation of excellence of songs:

track 01: beautiful intro
track 02: a highlight
track 03: a very nice one
track 04: a highlight
track 05: a beautiful "filler"
track 06: the brightest highlight
track 07: a very nice one
track 08: a highlight
track 09: a nice closer

This alternation prevents it from generating any boredom IMO -- despite the album length.
19.12.2020 - 01:21
musclassia

In The Shadow Of Our Pale Companion is a genuine contender for one of the best songs written within metal, I honestly think it's a masterpiece. Hawthorne Passage, Odal and You Were But A Ghost In My Arms are also immense
19.12.2020 - 13:09
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by musclassia on 19.12.2020 at 01:21

In The Shadow Of Our Pale Companion is a genuine contender for one of the best songs written within metal, I honestly think it's a masterpiece. Hawthorne Passage, Odal and You Were But A Ghost In My Arms are also immense

ITSOOPC is my favourite song ever.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?

Hits total: 81867 | This month: 283