13. Sacred Reich [Sacred Reich cover] [Special Deluxe Edition bonus]
14. 22 Acacia Avenue [Iron Maiden cover] [Special Deluxe Edition bonus]
15. Lady In Black [Mercyful Fate cover] [Special Deluxe Edition bonus]
16. My Friend Of Misery [Metallica cover] [Special Deluxe Edition bonus]

Top 20 albums of 1995: 7
Top 200 albums of all time: 80
Featured in "Getting Into: Dark Tranquillity"

Additional info
Label: Osmose productions (Cat.#: OPCD 033)

Special "Deluxe" edition released in 2005 by Century Media Records (US) & Osmose productions (Europe). This version features different booklet layout as well bonus tracks.

Recorded and mixed at Studio Fredman during April and May 1995. Engineered and produced by Fredrik Nordström and Dark Tranquillity.

Cover artwork by Kristian Wåhlin. Layout by Cabin Fever Media.
Band photo by Kenneth Johansson. Proofreading by Rahvin.

Staff review by
Deadsoulman
Rating:
This is obviously my favourite album of my favourite band. So you can easily imagine that I only have nice things to say about it. So, why does this album reach perfection? Why is it, in my opinion, the best melodic death metal album ever released? Simply because it is the manifest of a band that perfectly masters its music, and above all that loves what it is doing. You can feel such love for the metal in general all along the eleven tracks of this work. It is actually the first real album of the band after the departure of the previous singer Anders Friden, gone to found their Swedish mates of In Flames. So this is also the first album with Mikael Stanne, former guitarist, on the vocals, after the EP Of Chaos and Eternal Night.

Read more ››
published 11.09.2003 | Comments (16)

Staff review by
Dream Taster
Rating:
Caution! Cult album ahead. "The Gallery" is to Melodic Death Metal what "Images And Words" is to Progressive Metal, if not more. The essence of Sweden delivered by Dark Tranquillity is simply grandiose. The duo of singers Mikael Stanne-Anders Friden blows everything in its path while emblematic songs keep playing in your shitty CD player. I'll have to visit Gothenburg one day, as a pilgrim of Holy Metalness, I'm serious!

Read more ››
published 11.08.2004 | Comments (1)

Found in 78 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 54   Visited by: 1851 users
30.07.2010 - 18:08
Rating: 9
JÄY
Metal slave
DAMN
02.09.2011 - 07:19
Rating: 10
Bloodshotmage

I found this album a few years ago while I first started getting into melodic death metal. This is still far and away the best album the genre has to offer.
20.05.2012 - 07:07
Metal Addiction

One of my fav albums of all time.
20.05.2012 - 12:50
BloodTears
ANA-thema
This is the crème de la crème of gothenburg. I go back to this album quite a lot.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
12.09.2012 - 05:12
Rating: 7
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
1,000th person to own the record.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
02.10.2012 - 14:18
LordHypnos
Account deleted
No flaws at all. One of the best albums ever.
17.11.2012 - 04:30
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Damn they used to be good.

Love this version too, the technical nature of this album is even more apparent on this:

(Alternate version of Punish My Heaven)

28.12.2012 - 01:27
megadeath13
Account deleted
This is exactly what Gothenburg sounds like. Incredible album!
20.04.2013 - 17:54
Erik M.

This is in my opinion one of the most overrated album EVER. Nothing amazing about it with only 3 great songs (Punish My Heaven, The Gallery and ...Of Melancholy Burning). The other songs are not really memorable and some of them are way too short. Hell, I even like Character, Fiction and Damage Done a lot more than this.
20.04.2013 - 19:40
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Erik M. on 20.04.2013 at 17:54

This is in my opinion one of the most overrated album EVER. Nothing amazing about it with only 3 great songs (Punish My Heaven, The Gallery and ...Of Melancholy Burning). The other songs are not really memorable and some of them are way too short. Hell, I even like Character, Fiction and Damage Done a lot more than this.

You still gave it a 7 though. Pretty respectable score
20.04.2013 - 20:39
Erik M.

Written by Guest on 20.04.2013 at 19:40

You still gave it a 7 though. Pretty respectable score

Well, I just think it's extremely overrated and only really enjoy those three songs a lot, while the others aren't bad, just not great either. But I gave that score a while ago and it might drop a point, but I need to listen to it again to know this of course.

And obviously melodic death metal isn't exactly my favourite genre, I still think the three albums I mentioned are better than this.
20.04.2013 - 20:45
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Erik M. on 20.04.2013 at 20:39

Well, I just think it's extremely overrated and only really enjoy those three songs a lot, while the others aren't bad, just not great either. But I gave that score a while ago and it might drop a point, but I need to listen to it again to know this of course.

And obviously melodic death metal isn't exactly my favourite genre, I still think the three albums I mentioned are better than this.

I personally wouldn't call this overrated purely on the fact there's really no other album that sounds like this. It's totally different to every other melodeath album, even within their own discog. Of course that doesn't necessarily mean that the music is good. Though I happen to rather think it is Character is as good as this, but I personally regard Damage Done as the most overrated in their catalogue.

Actually this reminds me of a review for this album. Probably the worst review I've ever seen, not least because it called Dark Tranquillity a Carcass / Brutal Truth clone.
20.04.2013 - 21:11
Erik M.

Written by Guest on 20.04.2013 at 20:45

I personally wouldn't call this overrated purely on the fact there's really no other album that sounds like this. It's totally different to every other melodeath album, even within their own discog. Of course that doesn't necessarily mean that the music is good. Though I happen to rather think it is Character is as good as this, but I personally regard Damage Done as the most overrated in their catalogue.

Actually this reminds me of a review for this album. Probably the worst review I've ever seen, not least because it called Dark Tranquillity a Carcass / Brutal Truth clone.

Yep, you're right about this album sounding pretty original. The simple truth is, I just don't enjoy it a lot... the songs are too short and even if they were longer I still probably wouldn't like them a lot. The style just doesn't appeal to me I guess.

About that review, it's pretty horrible. I don't agree with that at all, since he calls them unoriginal and ripped off from something else, which is (I think) not true at all. But that last sentence cracked me up though.
20.04.2013 - 21:15
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Erik M. on 20.04.2013 at 21:11

Yep, you're right about this album sounding pretty original. The simple truth is, I just don't enjoy it a lot... the songs are too short and even if they were longer I still probably wouldn't like them a lot. The style just doesn't appeal to me I guess.

About that review, it's pretty horrible. I don't agree with that at all, since he calls them unoriginal and ripped off from something else, which is (I think) not true at all. But that last sentence cracked me up though.

Yes the last line is especially amusing considering how completely wrong he was about it, that it went on to become the most heralded metal albums of all time
23.05.2013 - 19:06
Rating: 10
Júlio

The best thing in the history of music
23.06.2013 - 17:06
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
For me it's still the best melodic death metal album of all time. Nothing more to say.
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"
31.01.2015 - 12:00
Zap
Written by deadone on 08.05.2014 at 05:30

I understand the impact this one made when it was released, but I still prefer Damage Done over it.

Same here, although I think Punish My Heaven is probably their best song.
31.01.2015 - 13:22
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Damage Done is good, but reminds me of those times when I put a bit too much sugar in my coffee. Character is what it should have been.
31.01.2015 - 13:30
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Guest on 31.01.2015 at 13:22

Damage Done is good, but reminds me of those times when I put a bit too much sugar in my coffee. Character is what it should have been.

what ?! But you said you don't drink coffee sometime ago in SB.
----
The Fangirl.
31.01.2015 - 13:36
Zap
Written by Guest on 31.01.2015 at 13:22

Character is just sloppy seconds as far as I remember.
31.01.2015 - 13:37
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Zap on 31.01.2015 at 13:36

Character is just sloppy seconds as far as I remember.

More liked refined seconds with more balls and better sound =P
31.01.2015 - 13:39
Zap
Written by Guest on 31.01.2015 at 13:37

More liked refined seconds with more balls and better sound =P

Well, in any case, you shouldn't be putting sugar in your coffee anyway!
31.01.2015 - 13:40
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Zap on 31.01.2015 at 13:39

Well, in any case, you shouldn't be putting sugar in your coffee anyway!

Half a tea spoon is a reasonable amount. I'm not into raw black metal so much these days =3
31.01.2015 - 13:43
Zap
Written by Guest on 31.01.2015 at 13:40

Half a tea spoon is a reasonable amount. I'm not into raw black metal so much these days =3

I don't drink coffee very often, but when I do it's black or nothing. Which is the opposite of how I like my black metal these days.
31.01.2015 - 13:55
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Zap on 31.01.2015 at 13:43

I don't drink coffee very often, but when I do it's black or nothing. Which is the opposite of how I like my black metal these days.

If I have it black (i.e. when there's no milk around) I don't have sugar in it which does taste a bit weird.
31.01.2015 - 16:27
psykometal
A staff guy...
I love Damage Done, but for me Projector is their best. Has much more character to it. I do enjoy The Gallery though.

For some reason when I saw thread toward the top of my faves cuz y'all started commenting on it, I heard Ronan's voice in my head say "Listen to your Guardians of the Gallery!" No clue why, just did, and thought I'd share.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

31.01.2015 - 16:32
Zap
Written by psykometal on 31.01.2015 at 16:27

I love Damage Done, but for me Projector is their best. Has much more character to it. I do enjoy The Gallery though.

I've never actually listened to Projector (the artwork probably turns me off) Is it closer to this or Damage Done?
31.01.2015 - 16:36
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Zap on 31.01.2015 at 16:32

I've never actually listened to Projector (the artwork probably turns me off) Is it closer to this or Damage Done?

More like DD but with some clean vocals. I prefer it to DD as well I think.
31.01.2015 - 16:39
Zap
Written by Guest on 31.01.2015 at 16:36

More like DD but with some clean vocals. I prefer it to DD as well I think.

Sounds interesting. I should do a DT marathon some time.
31.01.2015 - 16:43
psykometal
A staff guy...
Have you listened to Fiction? Imagine an entire album of songs more like Misery's Crown and The Mundane and the Magic. It's their only album which features Mikael actually singing frequently throughout the album.

I really love his singing voice, and wish he/they would decide to write more songs using it. Especially with how stale their albums have become recently. I feel like them shifting their sound/style in a more Projector-like direction, with more of him singing, would actually benefit the band more.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

Hits total: 36806 | This month: 97