09. Regain The Fire
10. One For Sorrow
11. Weather The Storm [Special Edition bonus] [Japanese bonus]
12. Beyond The Horizon [Japanese bonus]

Top 20 albums of 2011: 8

Staff review by
Dream Taster
Rating:
If I were to ask you what makes a great Metal band, the answer should be pretty much the same across the board: great albums. In truth, a series of great albums that follow the same structure yet manage to be different enough to be individual works while being similar enough to create a unique trademark sound. Do you see now how fine of a margin bands have to operate? Finland's Insomnium have established themselves as a juggernaut of Gothenburg Metal with a trilogy of sublime releases 2002's In The Halls Of Awaiting, 2004's Since The Day It All Came Down & 2006's Above The Weeping World. Then they managed to cleverly modernize their sound with 2009's Across The Dark. With a growing fan base and so many solid works behind them, their new release One For Sorrow has been one of the most anticipated albums of the year, and for good reasons.

Read more ››
published 01.11.2011 | Comments (28)

Guest review by
Risto
Rating:
One For Sorrow: the old children's nursery rhyme about counting up to ten birds in a tree. Makes sense for an Insomnium album to be inspired by it; after all, they've had these birds flying around in their album art for a while. Their fifth full-length respectively adapts to the rhyme with ten tracks of fairly varied Gothenburg metal in that trademark Insomnium sound.

Read more ››
published 03.12.2011 | Comments (4)

Found in 87 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 223   Visited by: 2150 users
14.09.2010 - 14:31
Kriegsphilosoph
Account deleted
I can't wait to hear this album.
I heard "Weather The Storm" featuring Michael Stanne of Dark Tranquillity and it was f'king awesome!
15.09.2010 - 02:42
Lovecraft
Account deleted
I am sooo excited and scared. These news just made my day! I love Insomnium!
I can't wait!
15.09.2010 - 04:05
timgrimes

I love all of Insomniums albums and am looking forward to this upcoming one!!! YEAH
15.09.2010 - 16:22
Born-2rise
Nayyiker
Oh my gawwwwwwwwwdddddddddd INSOMNIUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
holy shit im psyched already :O
What do you guys think the album's name will be like?? any ideas ?
----
Take a look to the sky just before you die, its the last time you will.
15.09.2010 - 16:39
Reza
Account deleted
Have you ever heard about their Single album "Weather the Storm"?
19.09.2010 - 05:15
Lovecraft
Account deleted
Written by timgrimes on 15.09.2010 at 04:05

I love all of Insomniums albums and am looking forward to this upcoming one!!! YEAH

Me too! Insomnium ftw!
04.10.2010 - 08:02
<O>!<O>
Account deleted
Really good news! Waiting in eager anticipation!
11.01.2011 - 16:53
Rating: 10
Rozz

I some some aussie band called bel lakor or somthing riping insomnium of, they will never be able to get the finnish sound
11.01.2011 - 18:47
Rating: 8
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Rozz on 11.01.2011 at 16:53

I some some aussie band called bel lakor or somthing riping insomnium of, they will never be able to get the finnish sound

I'd be damn proud of Be'lakor if I were you, since you're from Australia. Be'lakor are at least equal to Insomnium round here at Metal Storm. I know as a fact that the bands share some influences, but don't actually listen to each other.
12.01.2011 - 15:43
Rozz

Written by Risto on 11.01.2011 at 18:47

Written by Rozz on 11.01.2011 at 16:53

I'd be damn proud of Be'lakor if I were you, since you're from Australia. Be'lakor are at least equal to Insomnium round here at Metal Storm. I know as a fact that the bands share some influences, but don't actually listen to each other.

I live in australia but im actually finnish haha but i just hate seeing bands rip of other bands styles, it's really anoying, one band sstarts it and works hard to eprfect it than another comes along and just go's oh that sounds goo lets take that. I have seen so many opeth rip off here to it's not funny haha
12.01.2011 - 16:55
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Rozz on 12.01.2011 at 15:43

I live in australia but im actually finnish haha but i just hate seeing bands rip of other bands styles, it's really anoying, one band sstarts it and works hard to eprfect it than another comes along and just go's oh that sounds goo lets take that. I have seen so many opeth rip off here to it's not funny haha

Asennevammaa havaittavissa I can hear Insomnium's influences as clearly as those of Be'lakor. Both bands are fantastic.
27.02.2011 - 15:57
Rating: 9
Kuroboshi

Hopefully it tops their last effort! Something like 'Above the Weeping World' thank you!
06.05.2011 - 18:24
MetalKid

Insomnium you've guys have done Awesome with your pass albums. I believe you can do the same with this one.
P.S. Weather the Storm, Kick ass
21.06.2011 - 10:51
Risto
Wandering Midget
According to the Finnish metal magazine Inferno the exact release date for Finland would be October 12. Waiting for sources in English...
14.07.2011 - 19:31
genyue

Some of their advertisers have to tell us where to pre-order the album! :banger2:
15.07.2011 - 04:03
MetalSpider

This should be a great one!
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
15.07.2011 - 23:14
Poisonium

Oh can't wait..! Really wonder what it will be like.. All of Insomnium albums are better than one another so there's no favourite or the best! I'm sure this will be just another "best" from Insomnium..
16.07.2011 - 00:18
Risto
Wandering Midget
I'm not really expecting the best they've ever done, because for me their best feels almost impossible to top
19.08.2011 - 12:13
Risto
Wandering Midget
Just read an article (in Finnish) about the pre-listening session. "Through The Shadows" includes clean vocals by Ville Friman, while "Lay The Ghost To Rest" spans beyond the 7 minute mark. "Song Of The Blackest Bird" is also described as epic.

EDIT: Haha, dammit. The author of the said article just added the tracklist into it and there's already an album edit pending. So here it comes:

1. Inertia
2. Through the Shadows
3. Song of the Blackest Bird
4. Only One Who Waits
5. Unsung
6. Every Hour Wounds
7. Decoherence
8. Lay the Ghost to Rest
9. Regain the Fire
10. One for Sorrow
02.09.2011 - 15:39
vibhor.agarwal

Weather the storm is amazing....can't wait for the whole album
03.09.2011 - 12:50
Risto
Wandering Midget
Here's the upcoming single...

03.09.2011 - 20:36
Caligo
Account deleted
Written by Poisonium on 15.07.2011 at 23:14

Oh can't wait..! Really wonder what it will be like.. All of Insomnium albums are better than one another so there's no favourite or the best! I'm sure this will be just another "best" from Insomnium..

My thoughts exactly . I'm eager to know what kind of atmosphere this album will bring. Although obviously, coming from them there ain't doubt that is going to be another brilliant album.
03.09.2011 - 22:16
Poisonium

Written by Guest on 03.09.2011 at 20:36

My thoughts exactly . I'm eager to know what kind of atmosphere this album will bring. Although obviously, coming from them there ain't doubt that is going to be another brilliant album.

Well I think Unsung has proved that this is gonna be fantastic (as usual)..
But actually I was expecting something more melodic, with more whispers and with killing brutal vocals.. (Don't hate me, I didn't say I don't like Unsung. It's obviously great!)
It's also nice to hear that Friman is singing too, as clean back vocalist..
06.09.2011 - 05:03
Rating: 9
Dark Forever
Ruído Sonoro

You're both right. I've just listened to the album and it's another brilliant effort. A review of it will be available next week in one of the portuguese webzines I write to (but only in portuguese, I'm sorry). Anyway, the wait is worth
----
Taste the DARK...
... and you'll live FOREVER!
09.09.2011 - 21:25
Caligo
Account deleted
Written by Dark Forever on 06.09.2011 at 05:03

You're both right. I've just listened to the album and it's another brilliant effort. A review of it will be available next week in one of the portuguese webzines I write to (but only in portuguese, I'm sorry). Anyway, the wait is worth

Aye, heard through the shadows & Unsung and I was fucking blown away.. Christ, I'm even finding my past fav bands pretty boring now. Needless to say, can't wait to hear the whole album.
28.09.2011 - 15:45
Milena
gloom cookie
The release date is creeping closer...
----
7.0 means the album is good
10.10.2011 - 22:01
katafakingstrofa

Badass album
keep the good work Insomnium \m/
----
Dementia 4 Life
10.10.2011 - 22:39
DarkokraD

Written by katafakingstrofa on 10.10.2011 at 22:01

Badass album
keep the good work Insomnium \m/

I'm one of their biggest fans... Most definitely my favourite band.

I'm unsure if I like the production on this one... Is it just different or is there too much sound around? Have they changed their sound? It sounds like the quality of the sound is not good but if I listen more closely it doesn't seem distorted... I like it, that's for sure, but I'm not sure if I love it...

Let's give it 20 more spins and then I'll give my verdict

The songwritting is great though.
11.10.2011 - 05:21
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by DarkokraD on 10.10.2011 at 22:39
It sounds like the quality of the sound is not good but if I listen more closely it doesn't seem distorted...

I think that's what helps differentiate Insomnium from other melodic death metal bands. It's like they go out of their way to ensure a less polished sound, but you can still make everything out. And the rough edges just support the melancholic atmosphere.

Melodic metal done right.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
11.10.2011 - 23:31
Milena
gloom cookie
Why can't we rate it when a sound preview was already available?
Awesome as expected.
----
7.0 means the album is good

Hits total: 56907 | This month: 43