09. Renewal
10. Endings And Continuations
11. Gateways [Orchestral version] [Limited Edition/iTunes bonus]
12. The Demiurge Molecule [Orchestral version] [iTunes bonus]
13. Dimmu Borgir [Orchestral version] [bonus]
14. Perfect Strangers [Deep Purple cover] [Hot Topic bonus]
15. D.M.D.R. [GGFH cover] [Hot Topic bonus]
+ Gateways [video] [Digipak/Hot Topic bonus]

Dimmu Borgir sucks. Dimmu Borgir are sellouts. Dimmu Borgir have a stupid image and idiotic videos. Dimmu Borgir kick members out with no explanation. Dimmu Borgir is only about squeezing cash from stupid kids who are naive enough to buy their albums. They suck, they suck, they suck!

If you believe that any of the above statements are true, you may as well stop reading now. This review will not take into consideration anything other than music. In other words, if you expect a biased review aimed against one of the most popular extreme bands, you'll be better off helping your father cut the lawn or doing dishes for your mum, because you won't find what you're looking for here.

I don't know about you, but I got fooled by Shagrath and his cronies. When I listened to “Gateways,” the first single from Abrahadabra, I was appalled. It seemed strange, to say the least. You may easily guess that I wasn't exactly dying to hear Abrahadabra. I expected more songs like “Gateways,” but I didn't get any more. What I got was a solid piece of extreme music with an abundance of good arrangements and embellishments which make for a satisfying listen. Even “Gateways” grew on me, because it indeed is a good song.

From epic and lightning fast “Born Treacherous,” through incredibly catchy “Gateways,” till grandiose “Endings and Continuations,” this time Dimmu Borgir delivers. Their style hasn't changed that much, but their old ideas mixed with a few new things make for a very convincing whole. If you want good old blasting, go for the aforementioned “Born Treacherous” or “Ritualist.” If you are fond of orchestrations and epic scope of songs, listen to “Endings and Continuations” or “Chess With the Abyss.” If you're keen on slower tempos and some decent guitar solos, “Dimmu Borgir” and “Renewal” are for you. Yes, guitar solos, played with talent and knowledge, flawlessly blending into the songs. Variety is the spice of life they say. Variety is what you will find here. An occasional intro, bass interlude, female vocals, they're all cherries on top of this unexpectedly tasty cake.

I've always thought that the marriage of extreme metal with mainstream must end in tears. Thornography or Cold Lake prove me right, but Abrahadabra proves me wrong. While undoubtedly accessible and easy to digest, it simultaneously retains a necessary dose of aggression, speed and heaviness. In their own words:

Be the broken or the breaker
Be the giver or the undertaker
Unlock and open the door
Be the healer or the breaker
The keys are in your hands
Realize you are the source of all created
Of your own master plan

Dimmu Borgir might have gone astray on some of their recent albums, but now I'm sure they found their own master plan. The door is wide open, and the sky is the limit.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 9

Written on 23.09.2010 by Writes overly honest and totally subjective reviews when fancy strikes him. Which is not often. Which is probably good, all things considered.

Guest review by
Windrider
Rating:
If you like Abrahadabra by Dimmu Borgir you can make two great mistakes like I did. Let me warn you! The first thing is listening to classical music like Mozart or Haydn. It won't take more than a single stroke to realize that all the so-called great orchestrations are simply nothing in comparison to the dead composers. The second big fail is listening to real and raw black metal. To quote the famous snake, if you do something of that, "your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil." This album is neither anything of black metal nor of classical compositions.

Read more ››
published 28.01.2011 | Comments (23)

Guest review by
TheH2K
Rating:
Mustis has departed, and no ICS Vortex clean vocals for the first time since 1999. Can Dimmu Borgir escape from the massive attack of the fans this time?

Traditionally, the album starts with an instrumental piece; however, except for some seconds, it is not appealing at all and far away from masterpieces like "Fear And Wonder", "Perfection Or Vanity" or even "Det Nye Riket".

Read more ››
published 04.06.2020 | Comments (0)

Comments page 4 / 5

Comments: 127   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 1110 users
27.09.2010 - 03:53
marzepka87
Written by RavenKing on 25.09.2010 at 03:51

Written by marzepka87 on 25.09.2010 at 03:41

Thank You Sir, I have to agree, it's like Dimmu has experimented with different styles of music and it will not be the last, and Abrahadabra is the new chapter for Dimmu, and I'll stand by them until they decide to do Pop metal pr some kind of electro trance.

Experimentation and quality are two totally different things. Some people seem to believe experimentation is always a good thing. They forget it often lead to the worst crap a band ever released. The shittiest albums are usually the result of failed experimentation.

in my mind you are afraid to broaden your horizon when it comes to metal, it seems as if you just like straight forward metal without any sort of attempts to add anything new to their sound, just look at Vader, it's a good band but there is nothing great about them(there is nothing wrong with that), but saying that something is crap because a band decided to experiment with different sound, and to me something as "faild experimentation" does not exist, for the fact that a band went out of their element to create something that is outside of their comfort zone, and I love bands like that. This is just my opinion, and you can take this however you want.
27.09.2010 - 04:04
RavenKing
Written by marzepka87 on 27.09.2010 at 03:53

in my mind you are afraid to broaden your horizon when it comes to metal, it seems as if you just like straight forward metal without any sort of attempts to add anything new to their sound, just look at Vader, it's a good band but there is nothing great about them(there is nothing wrong with that), but saying that something is crap because a band decided to experiment with different sound, and to me something as "faild experimentation" does not exist, for the fact that a band went out of their element to create something that is outside of their comfort zone, and I love bands like that. This is just my opinion, and you can take this however you want.

My metal horizon is broad enough for my tastes. After more than 25 years of listening to metal, let's say I checked pretty much every genre already long ago. I just happen to know my tastes very well, and what I can enjoy or not enjoy.
I'm not one of those who believe we should be able to enjoy every genre or subgenre, especially as some are quite opposite to others, so I think what makes you like a genre can very well make you dislike another genre.
Also, I think it's possible to be original and great with only bass, guitars, drums and vocals. A talented metal band doesn't need to incorporate other stuff to be great.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
27.09.2010 - 04:10
Rating: 7
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Haha, so I have to put my most loved doom metal album (Turn Loose the Swans) in the trash. Because 2 songs in that album has not guitar nor drums nor bass.
----
Kiss my ass if you dont like me, I dont care.
27.09.2010 - 04:17
RavenKing
Written by Elyar S. on 27.09.2010 at 04:10

Haha, so I have to put my most loved doom metal album (Turn Loose the Swans) in the trash. Because 2 songs in that album has not guitar nor drums nor bass.

I didn't say metal bands can't be great if they use other stuff. I only said they CAN be great without using it. Do we really have to explain everything like we're doing for young children?
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
27.09.2010 - 04:27
marzepka87
Written by RavenKing on 27.09.2010 at 04:04

Written by marzepka87 on 27.09.2010 at 03:53

My metal horizon is broad enough for my tastes. After more than 25 years of listening to metal, let's say I checked pretty much every genre already long ago. I just happen to know my tastes very well, and what I can enjoy or not enjoy.
I'm not one of those who believe we should be able to enjoy every genre or subgenre, especially as some are quite opposite to others, so I think what makes you like a genre can very well make you dislike another genre.
Also, I think it's possible to be original and great with only bass, guitars, drums and vocals. A talented metal band doesn't need to incorporate other stuff to be great.

Fair enough, atleast now I know where you are coming from, I may not agree with you 100% but I can respect your views on Metal.
For the record I didn't claim that a band sucks because they refuse to incorporate other things into their albums, cause there is plenty of bands that are phenomenal with just a bass, guitars, drums and vocals(even without vocals).
27.09.2010 - 13:53
d3th_n1gG4
I will admit i was worried as well but after my first listen last night I was blown away, find it more rooted in the kind of avant garde extreme that SepticFlesh was doing pre sumerian demons, but hell that's what got me into extrmeme metal in the first place, so all in all i find it a good solid album with some really interesting arrangements in it
27.09.2010 - 18:11
Rating: 9
Itoc
Trønder
"Variety is what you will find here. An occasional intro, bass interlude, female vocals, they're all cherries on top of this unexpectedly tasty cake."

Haha, wonderful words.
28.09.2010 - 04:51
Rating: 8
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
Much like everyone else, I was kind of expecting crap, and Gateways grew on me as well. Much better than "In Sorte" and a bit better than Death cult. I'd say its even MORE symphonic than Death Cult, but the arrangements fit so much more perfectly than that album. Pretty solid album without any really "bad" songs. 8/10
28.09.2010 - 21:03
fjms
Well, personally, i don´t agree with the review!

I have listened the whole album, and to be honest this latest album of Dimmu Borgir sounds to me like
you are listening a Immortal´s album! Pretty much old school!!!
It´s not a bad album, but it misses at all the Symphonic Dark/Sick environment, the progressive/power/trash riffs of lastest albums! "Gateways" song is a minor sample of others songs that you can find the Albums like "In Sorti...", "Death Cult...." and "Puritanical..." The latest albums are so much powerful!!! But this is only me!!!
28.09.2010 - 21:31
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Written by fjms on 28.09.2010 at 21:03

It´s not a bad album, but it misses at all the Symphonic Dark/Sick environment, the progressive/power/trash riffs of lastest albums! "Gateways" song is a minor sample of others songs that you can find the Albums like "In Sorti...", "Death Cult...." and "Puritanical..." The latest albums are so much powerful!!! But this is only me!!!

first of all plz READ the review then start whining. 8 for this album by the reviewer and I guess youve just read the first Paragraph!
Quote:

I have listened the whole album, and to be honest this latest album of Dimmu Borgir sounds to me like

well then I have to say listen to the album as well , Immortal? piss myself laughing.
----
Kiss my ass if you dont like me, I dont care.
29.09.2010 - 17:21
farfaramir

You must have download the fake version... Which is not the real album... It's not even Dimmu .
29.09.2010 - 17:37
Rating: 10
Vonpire
Buhahahaha, OMG i can't believe fjms comment.

You (bad) pirate!
----
Beware the Shadows of Dusk
30.09.2010 - 00:35
Nerevarine
OMG this sounds like rhapsody with blast beats and "growls"
----
This Is Not Dead Which Can Eternal Lie, And With Strange Eons, Even Death May Die
30.09.2010 - 04:28
trendkill-

now why would you dis immortal like that sir?
30.09.2010 - 09:23
Daniell
_爱情_
elite
He isn't dissing them, he just downloaded a fake version of the album
30.09.2010 - 17:54
Kamilbolt
Account deleted
Well, shit happens sometimes
02.10.2010 - 17:33
s_t_s
Hmm odd I could swear I had already posted some comment...

Nervermind : when I first listened to Gateways, I was REALLY disappointed !

When I listened to the full album, the first time I was a bit lost.

Now I just cannot stop listenning to it, it's just so freaking great !!! I don't know where the 80 people choir (announced earlier) has gone, but it's not in the album. Instead we have great solos, slow and fast tracks, and a great inspiration ! I still think that Gateways is an intruder here, it doesn't fit the album atmosphere and it's not up to the quality of the other tracks.
04.10.2010 - 00:05
Kamilbolt
Account deleted
By the way, does anyone knows what is the name of a band from fake verion of Abrahadabra?
04.10.2010 - 14:05
Rating: 5
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Guest on 04.10.2010 at 00:05

By the way, does anyone knows what is the name of a band from fake verion of Abrahadabra?

A Greek band called The Eternal Suffering, from their album Miasma.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
04.10.2010 - 17:30
Kamilbolt
Account deleted
Written by vezzy on 04.10.2010 at 14:05

Written by Guest on 04.10.2010 at 00:05

A Greek band called The Eternal Suffering, from their album Miasma.

Thanks man.
20.10.2010 - 12:00
Ziom
Their image is theatrical. It sucks. It doesn't suck because it's theatrical, it sucks because it's done without taste.
Compare them with Cradle of Filth. COF can look cool, with all those costumes, fangs, make up and props.
Dimmu look ridiculous. Their videos, their faces... aaaaaarrrrrr pure horror.
20.10.2010 - 13:00
Daniell
_爱情_
elite
And their image, obviously, affects their music in a very very negative way...

*end sarcasm*
20.10.2010 - 14:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Cradle looking cool that's a first they look just as ridiculous as Dimmu Borgir.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.10.2010 - 15:30
Daniell
_爱情_
elite
Or even more

I don't really care about appearances, as long as the music is good. Unless a band's image is repulsive, disgusting or the like,
20.10.2010 - 18:42
Rating: 6
Slayer666
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.10.2010 at 14:27

Cradle looking cool that's a first they look just as ridiculous as Dimmu Borgir.

Oh, please, it's more than obvious you have no fashion sense...
20.10.2010 - 18:47
vezzy
Stallmanite
That's kind of it, really. Fashion is rather pointless to me anyway.
----
27.10.2010 - 05:41
Rating: 10
Trojanman190
Written by Ziom on 20.10.2010 at 12:00

Their image is theatrical. It sucks. It doesn't suck because it's theatrical, it sucks because it's done without taste.
Compare them with Cradle of Filth. COF can look cool, with all those costumes, fangs, make up and props.
Dimmu look ridiculous. Their videos, their faces... aaaaaarrrrrr pure horror.

Have you seen the video for "Forgive me Father"? Holy crap it hurts to watch... Dani has freaking glitter.

But I'm only dising your comparison, both bands have been very theatrical for a long time. The campiness is almost something i look forward to. Just when you think they can't get any goofier they make a video like "Gateways." Lucky for us the sillier they look the better the music seems to sound.
13.11.2010 - 18:37
.Nemesis.
I loved Ritualist! All the other songs were great but not as good as Ritualist.
----
You try to awaken me, the flesh dripping with blood
My body is there, but my soul a perilous void
Aethereal existence coming off in ambient waves
I am nothing. I AM N1H1L.
23.11.2010 - 11:43
Netherlander
Account deleted
I don't like this CD at all. In my opinion the claim that the departure of Vortex and Mustis do not affect the sound of Dimmu is plainly wrong.
The only song i like is Gateways. The rest is too flat, to orchestral, too not Dimmu.
25.11.2010 - 16:37
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Guest on 23.11.2010 at 11:43

I don't like this CD at all. In my opinion the claim that the departure of Vortex and Mustis do not affect the sound of Dimmu is plainly wrong.
The only song i like is Gateways. The rest is too flat, to orchestral, too not Dimmu.

Now that's unorthodox.
----

Hits total: 34968 | This month: 28