Metal Storm logo
New permissions system for band edits

Original post

Posted by Ivan, 30.09.2010 - 12:10
I know, it hasn't been long since this system has been introduced, however, we felt that it was inadequate and could use some improving. The main problem is, community points come from everywhere - and if you gained them by writing reviews, for example, it doesn't mean you're competent in editing bands and albums.

The new system keeps track of your achievements in separate areas - bands, albums, videos, trivia, logos, lyrics, lineup and grants you unsupervised access when it looks like you're ready for it. All your edits generate points - 1-3 for edits and 2-6 for additions, depending on quality. Gaining 100 points in Albums will allow you to add albums for invisible bands (200 for visible), 250 points to edit albums for invisible bands (500 for visible) and 300 will allow you to check album edits for invisible bands (600 for visible).

In this way, users can get access to editing pretty much everything in band profiles. As a bonus, you can even add bands after reaching 5000 total points, and edit styles for invisible bands with 2500 total points. You still can't: make bands visible, change band name, edit styles for visible bands.

As soon as you've made any contributions to the bands database and your edits have been accepted, a table will appear in your profile, detailing your progress (example). Retroactively, I transfered all previously recorded stats into the new system. Unfortunately, the records were only for additions, and there were no records for bands, logos and lyrics, so you'll have to start from 0 there, sorry.

If you have any checking permissions unlocked, you'll see a new link at the bottom of the Navigation menu: 'Check edits'. This is a way to help us to get through the piles of edits we're receiving. We trust you to be fair and thorough. Try to check the submitted information and correct whatever mistakes the submitted made. Hit 'Reject' only when the edit is beyond saving. Each checked edit will earn you 4 points in the particular area, plus 3 community points.

In addition to that, all users can now mark things for deletion - just go to the edit screen and hit the 'Delete' button in the bottom. This will be checked and taken care by Staff members.

The old system will remain intact for the moment, but will be most probably removed later.
18.10.2010 - 11:39
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by GT on 18.10.2010 at 10:09

Written by Bad English on 17.10.2010 at 01:21

How can I edd sugegsted band
I have been suggested many bands in past but Kabat, Torr, now Preterfnatural has been edded from this user Immortal SEP
How can I do it I thought only staff can do it

My guess is that he suggested it to be featured on the site and when it was accepted his name is given as the one who added it. Otherwise it's only staff that can add bands.

Hmmm no he edded band him self if we look logos ... maybe he edd it him self and it was in sugested list and automatily I get not since same name band
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
18.10.2010 - 11:44
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Written by Bad English on 18.10.2010 at 11:39

Written by GT on 18.10.2010 at 10:09

Written by Bad English on 17.10.2010 at 01:21

How can I edd sugegsted band
I have been suggested many bands in past but Kabat, Torr, now Preterfnatural has been edded from this user Immortal SEP
How can I do it I thought only staff can do it

My guess is that he suggested it to be featured on the site and when it was accepted his name is given as the one who added it. Otherwise it's only staff that can add bands.

Hmmm no he edded band him self if we look logos ... maybe he edd it him self and it was in sugested list and automatily I get not since same name band

Actually I think you can add bands too. Just checked your points and to me it seems like you have a green 5000 points like SEP
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
18.10.2010 - 11:48
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by GT on 18.10.2010 at 11:44

Written by Bad English on 18.10.2010 at 11:39

Actually I think you can add bands too. Just checked your points and to me it seems like you have a green 5000 points like SEP

I kn ow I have edd 3-4 already :p but I was woundering why I get not about sugested band eddet from non staff member its all
----

apos;'
[image]
18.10.2010 - 11:52
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
To be honest, I have no idea what you're talking about then
----

20.10.2010 - 00:44
iaberis
Advice Troll
I think he means if he can add/accept some of the suggested bands
----
Bitch! Please
20.10.2010 - 00:52
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by iaberis on 20.10.2010 at 00:44

I think he means if he can add/accept some of the suggested bands

I mean
I get not from non staff that my suggested band Thoor, Kabat was addet in MS, It was 1th time when I get it from non staffer
----

apos;'
[image]
20.10.2010 - 10:35
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Ah now I see what you mean. You got a notification when the bands Thoor and Kabat was added to MS, because it was a staffer who did that. And now you're asking why you got one for tha one added by SEP.

Actually I don't know why he has been able to add bands from the suggested bands list. Might be because of his permissions. Can you do it?
----

20.10.2010 - 12:01
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by GT on 20.10.2010 at 10:35

Ah now I see what you mean. You got a notification when the bands Thoor and Kabat was added to MS, because it was a staffer who did that. And now you're asking why you got one for tha one added by SEP.

Actually I don't know why he has been able to add bands from the suggested bands list. Might be because of his permissions. Can you do it?

I cant do whit suggested bands. But I can do it my self
Maybe he done it him self and since band is here in MS I got not
----

apos;'
[image]
27.10.2010 - 05:47
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
A quick question: how come band edits don't earn you a point. like if you add a band's picture, their websites, year formed, label etc? cos im pretty sure you used to get the one point for that.

cos in the first row of the table thing, its got 5000 total points for the first bit, wats the 200 and 500 next to it refer to? how do you accumulate points that count towards that?
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
27.10.2010 - 11:47
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by BurbotsRevenge on 27.10.2010 at 05:47

A quick question: how come band edits don't earn you a point. like if you add a band's picture, their websites, year formed, label etc? cos im pretty sure you used to get the one point for that.

cos in the first row of the table thing, its got 5000 total points for the first bit, wats the 200 and 500 next to it refer to? how do you accumulate points that count towards that?

Iv noticed it to

BTW how Iaberis can be ewxample that we cant see all his perms, I mean that table like I can see in my own prof
----

apos;'
[image]
27.10.2010 - 20:46
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Is there a list of NSBM bands who are forbidden be in MS because Nocturan Mortum and suvch bands who's on border
is there any list what bands can not be edd in MS?
----

apos;'
[image]
27.10.2010 - 21:01
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Well, no. But there are the blacklisted bands, which contain nazi bands as well. You can always suggest a nazi band as long as you make it clear in the comments section that they're nazi and should be blacklisted, not added.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
27.10.2010 - 21:09
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Lucas on 27.10.2010 at 21:01

Well, no. But there are the blacklisted bands, which contain nazi bands as well. You can always suggest a nazi band as long as you make it clear in the comments section that they're nazi and should be blacklisted, not added.

where is blacklisted band list I wanna see it
----

apos;'
[image]
27.10.2010 - 21:11
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Bad English on 27.10.2010 at 21:09

Click link, scroll down and click 'show all'
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
27.10.2010 - 21:14
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Lucas on 27.10.2010 at 21:11

Written by Bad English on 27.10.2010 at 21:09

Thank's I have seen it, but never payed attention, since most bands are pop, crapy, etc but I saw Graveland, Lord Wind, NM just now

Click link, scroll down and click 'show all'
----

apos;'
[image]
29.10.2010 - 03:29
iaberis
Advice Troll
I think there's a bug in the trivia section... It says only trivia for invisible bands appear, but instead it appears all trivia edits, regardless visibility
----
Bitch! Please
29.10.2010 - 10:58
Vykintas
With this new edits system, I cannot delete my pending edits - I only see the 'Check edits' table after clicking o the 'X' near an edit I want to delete. From the URL (http://www.metalstorm.net/admin/edits_check.php?reject_edit_id=2005&reject_edit_type=b_videos), it looks like I don't have the needed permissions to reject my edit?. Is this intended or is it a bug?
08.12.2010 - 13:27
Ivan
Retired Admin
Elite
Written by Vykintas on 29.10.2010 at 10:58

With this new edits system, I cannot delete my pending edits - I only see the 'Check edits' table after clicking o the 'X' near an edit I want to delete. From the URL (http://www.metalstorm.net/admin/edits_check.php?reject_edit_id=2005&reject_edit_type=b_videos), it looks like I don't have the needed permissions to reject my edit?. Is this intended or is it a bug?

Fixed, thanks!
27.12.2010 - 00:26
JD
Account deleted
I think there is a bug in the community points i added more than 10 trivias and still the same "1488" but the other Points "Total" is changing
28.12.2010 - 13:05
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Today I saw ''Delete requests'' never havnt seen it before, is it only for staffers?
----

apos;'
[image]
28.12.2010 - 14:17
Ivan
Retired Admin
Elite
Written by Bad English on 28.12.2010 at 13:05

Today I saw ''Delete requests'' never havnt seen it before, is it only for staffers?

Yes
01.01.2011 - 17:50
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
http://www.metalstorm.net/users/Rorik/profile
subit album - Northern Lights for non existing band, I cant reject it, I click it says band dont exist ... someoen shood remove it from album pending list
----

apos;'
[image]
02.01.2011 - 20:22
Ivan
Retired Admin
Elite
Written by Bad English on 01.01.2011 at 17:50

http://www.metalstorm.net/users/Rorik/profile
subit album - Northern Lights for non existing band, I cant reject it, I click it says band dont exist ... someoen shood remove it from album pending list

Fixed.
09.01.2011 - 16:35
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Removal requests - I know its locked for me but there stands
Removal requests 1
I just marked to delite 4 dublications , but still
Removal requests 1

Shoodnt it be
Removal requests 5 ?
----

apos;'
[image]
14.01.2011 - 00:28
Ivan
Retired Admin
Elite
Written by Bad English on 09.01.2011 at 16:35

Removal requests - I know its locked for me but there stands
Removal requests 1
I just marked to delite 4 dublications , but still
Removal requests 1

Shoodnt it be
Removal requests 5 ?

Yes, the count doesn't really work atm (it's complicated), but don't worry, your requests are getting recorded.
05.02.2011 - 11:25
Vykintas
What do those flags to the left of edits do?
05.02.2011 - 13:58
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Vykintas on 05.02.2011 at 11:25

What do those flags to the left of edits do?

Only for sfatt, if you flag edit others cane deal whit it
----

apos;'
[image]
26.09.2012 - 02:01
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by Guest on 25.09.2012 at 19:47

Is the earned points for bands going to be frozen forever? As far as I remember it got frozen at the same time when 99999* appeared and bands were no longer added by anyone who had the points. But is it necessary to close the doors from editing and/or checking? At the moment I can edit the band related basic info as much as I want, but there's no way to reach the check limit since those earned points refuse to grow.

Earned points for Bands isn't frozen, mine go up every time I edit a band and check someone else's edit. The only thing that the *99999 did was make it so that non-Staff users cannot Add bands to the database, I fucked that up by adding a band that I did not realize was NS and so Staff deliberated and then unanimously decided that non-Staff users should not be allowed to add to the database because stupid shit will get added like NS bands, bands w/ a single Demo, bands w/ no releases period but the user is friends with them, etc. so on and so forth...

EDIT: And I have no clue what you're complaining about exactly on the lyrics thing...
Nevermind I see what you mean now. Neither Guys get Bands Edited points; Guy A gets Lyrics Added points but NO Community points and Guy B gets Lyrics Edited points AND Community points.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

26.09.2012 - 02:22
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by Guest on 26.09.2012 at 02:11

I have 42 band points though I have edited hundreds of bands. I remember that RcK had the same problem about 1,5 years ago. Are you sure you get the points from editing? Checking might bring all your points.

The lyrics thing was about the current situation where the first one who adds lyrics gets the 'table' (= earned points) points, and the second one who touches the lyrics will not receive lyrics points, 'cause what his/her contribution is editing, and there's not coming points from editing lyrics at the moment.

Ok I see what you mean now by the Bands points are frozen, I didn't really notice that before but yea you're right I do check more edits than I actually do myself so my Bands points never stopped going up. You might want to actually PM Ivan that one, might get a quicker response than in a thread but Idk for sure.

As for the lyrics thing, you lost me again. I thought I knew what you meant but not anymore, probably because I don't really deal with Lyrics much. I did just enough lyrics stuff back in the day to get the points to Add/Edit/Check those but don't really do anything more than just check the occasional lyrics submission though.
----

26.09.2012 - 02:49
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by Guest on 26.09.2012 at 02:33

Well, at first I just wait if he appears in here. I try to summarize this:

Add = Table points
Edit = No table points
Check = Table points

Obviously you've taken lots of time to figure this out. I earned all my Perms before I ended up fucking up the Bands Adding ability of non-Staff users, but I after fucking that up and being told why they pulled the plug on it I can agree completely that non-Staff users should not be able to Add bands to the database; however I do contend that there should be some individuals who have proved they will not do stupid shit (myself included) that Staff should give the Perm to in order to help augment that part of the site.
----