Top 20 albums of 2013: 9
Featured in "Getting Into: Summoning"

Additional info
Release dates:
- ESP/SWE/NOR: 05.06.2013
- G/A/S, FIN & Benelux: 07.06.2013
- Europe: 10.06.2013
- USA/Canada: 11.06.2013

Recorded and mixed at Nachtschattenstudio by Protector.

Booklet layout and concept: Silenius and Protector.

Staff review by
Auntie Sahar
Rating:
Rejoice, my metal brethren and fellow LOTR enthusiasts! Earendil has persuaded the Valar with his Silmaril to make war upon Morgoth for the sake of Middle Earth, casting him beyond the Door Of Night into The Void for all eternity (yeah, that was added in there for the nerds like myself that've actually read The Silmarillion). Tolkien references aside, Summoning's new album, no doubt one of the most anticipated releases of the year, is finally upon us, and from the very first moments of its music the band make it quite clear that the 7 years of waiting since Oath Bound back in '06 have been well worth it for 2013's Old Mornings Dawn.

Read more ››
published 01.05.2013 | Comments (68)

Found in 65 lists
Top lists

Comments page 5 / 7

Comments: 206   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 1930 users
20.06.2013 - 17:23
BlueMobius
Account deleted
This album was a grower for me, but those melodies are so addicting after a few listens. I guess a turnoff for some people would be the fake drums and stuff, which seem more noticeable on this album due to the relatively clean production sound, but I kind of like that about Summoning. It's kind of campy, in a good way.
21.06.2013 - 01:23
Rating: 10
Himedal

It's difficult to get used to it but when you do, you'll find it a masterpiece.
----
What goes by is life to be taken
The doom calls upon the forsaken
22.06.2013 - 00:54
quisableed
Account deleted
Written by Himedal on 21.06.2013 at 01:23

It's difficult to get used to it but when you do, you'll find it a masterpiece.

definitely !
22.06.2013 - 01:54
Erik M.

Unlike most Summoning albums, I was immediately totally blown away by this album. Have yet to hear LMHSYF, but ignoring that one, I'd say OMD is Summoning's best release to date.
22.06.2013 - 12:18
Himedal

Written by Korah on 18.06.2013 at 01:11

I didn't know this band before. The first listen was pretty boring : I use to listen many songs with long length but here, nothing really happens. Always the same thing during 9 min with tiny changes as useless as hard to detect. But I did it : 5 listenings and I don't want to go ahead even more (I really tried!). However I admit the album is well produced and well worked, plus, some moments are interesting sometimes so 5/10 (maybe 6/10 if I'm gentle).

How many bands do you know playing atmospheric black metal?
----
22.06.2013 - 12:30
Himedal

Written by BloodJuNkie on 12.06.2013 at 01:35

"Old Mornings Dawn" & "The White Tower" are my favorites!

So are mine. I write poems in similar approach.
----
23.06.2013 - 13:18
Erik M.

Written by Himedal on 22.06.2013 at 12:18

How many bands do you know playing atmospheric black metal?

Honestly, as I said before here, Summoning isn't really a good example of a band who plays atmospheric black metal. It's way more epic and over-the-top than pure atmospheric black metal bands (like WITTR, Ancient Wisdom and Vordven). Summoning and Caladan Brood are two examples of bands that are totally different from those and many people who are into atmospheric black metal still dislike Summoning. For the record, I love both styles.
24.06.2013 - 19:44
PocketMetal

IMO this album is not "hard" to get into ... I loved from the first listen , even with the shitty leak quality. I think it's my "most listened to" album in the recent 6 or 7 years .
25.06.2013 - 20:36
Sulac

Summoning is one of the very first black metal bands I listened to, and consistently one of my favorite. They gated me into more atmospheric stuff, like Wolves and Austere, but I appreciate their epic atmosphere as opposed to a darker, deeper one. I never really had difficulty getting into the band, as I've always liked cheesy soundtrack music and found echoes of that in their atmospherics, but I understand how it can strike some people as boring. It's definitely not music for everybody.
03.07.2013 - 04:02
Rating: 8
AtrumHiberna

It's a very good album. they picked it up from where they left their last album. but... i don't know, something is missing
----
This is my worship, this is my path...
03.07.2013 - 15:35
Erik M.

Written by AtrumHiberna on 03.07.2013 at 04:02

It's a very good album. they picked it up from where they left their last album. but... i don't know, something is missing

I have the exact opposite, since I feel something is missing from Oath Bound. When I listen to that one, I always feel a bit unsatisfied somehow. OMD however, is better in every aspect for me because musically it's much more dense, less monotonous, has a much better atmosphere and all the songs are easily recognizable while I still can't tell some the songs from Oath Bound apart somehow.
03.07.2013 - 16:56
Rating: 8
AtrumHiberna

Written by Erik M. on 03.07.2013 at 15:35

Written by AtrumHiberna on 03.07.2013 at 04:02

I have the exact opposite, since I feel something is missing from Oath Bound. When I listen to that one, I always feel a bit unsatisfied somehow. OMD however, is better in every aspect for me because musically it's much more dense, less monotonous, has a much better atmosphere and all the songs are easily recognizable while I still can't tell some the songs from Oath Bound apart somehow.

Don't get me wrong. It wasn't my intention to compare those two albums. I really liked OMD, actually I can't find a bad song in the album. Songs like The White Tower or The Wandering Fire I think are among the best songs of the band. But no matter how much I like the album, it still doesn't convince me 100%.
At my first listen I didn't like it, but the it grew on me. But on the other hand, when I listened to Rotting Christs's Theogonia when it first came out I really didn't like it and now I consider it among my all time favorite albums. Who knows? Maybe OMD will turn out to be like that as well
----
This is my worship, this is my path...
04.07.2013 - 19:46
Rating: 9
CWA

Wow this album blew me away. It took me a month to get this album because I though this album was mainly hyped because of the band's long hiatus, boy was I wrong. This is the best new album I've heard since 2009's Cybion by Kalisia and I also think this album is much better than "Stronghold" though I haven't heard anything else by the band. It has also taken the place of my favorite black metal album which was recently held by Satyricon's "Dark Medieval Times".

About the album itself I find the first half to superior to the latter half; which I also found to be the case with Strong. I wonder to myself if that this is the bands method of making an album, though they always close strong. When I first heard both Evernight and Flammifer I must admit I became quiet overwhelmed with emotion. To me they showed the qualities of true modern day artists. Flammifer is definitely my favorite track due to the beautiful oriental melody use throughout the song, something I would like to see a lot more metal band dues do. Also, how could I forget the subtle eagle cries that are placed throughout the album which gives it that majestic feel. My only real complaint is the redundant use of certain sounds and effects sprinkled throughout the album.

12.07.2013 - 02:19
Fredd
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 14.06.2013 at 18:26

All pleasant and goodsy, I found it to be.
The insane hype tho' I fail to see.
'verall worth one or two a glee.
BOOBS
>:[

Rate it not, how dare thee?
12.07.2013 - 18:36
The Galactician

Hmm, it's rare for me to say this about anything in the top 5 (in fact I don't think I ever have), but I don't get it. Maybe it was my mood while listening? Nothing grabbed me about this record.

I like atmospheric black metal, so maybe I just need to give it another shot when I'm feeling all atmospheric and black and stuff.
13.07.2013 - 13:01
Masonics

I first got into summoning not long after their last release: oath bound, and loved every record they have put out. I as we all have been thinking "when was the famous duo getting that LOTR inspiration and releasing their next record?" Well the time has come and gotta say:

WOW.

Everything is here from you what expect from summoning, but as stated by some reviewers and posters here its more of a "triumphant" sound than ever before. Also gone is the tremolo type of BM they used so much in their earlier records. But this more melodic sound is just as good.

Music these days doesn't have to be fast or big tempo changers to make great sounds, this pace is slow-mid pace with catchy programmed drums giving this an oragnic feel, with great vocals from Richard and Micheal still providing that magic.

Every song is a highlight but the ones I keep coming back for more are:

The Wandering Fire: give this song 10/10. one of my favs ever from them.

Caradhras: Goregous opening tone and love the clean backups in this one. Most "Upbeat" song ive heard from them

And of course the title track....
13.07.2013 - 13:16
garmling
Account deleted
Written by The Galactician on 12.07.2013 at 18:36

Hmm, it's rare for me to say this about anything in the top 5 (in fact I don't think I ever have), but I don't get it. Maybe it was my mood while listening? Nothing grabbed me about this record.

I like atmospheric black metal, so maybe I just need to give it another shot when I'm feeling all atmospheric and black and stuff.

Man, Summoning is just not Atmospheric Black Metal. People are wrong when trying to label them like that. They are unique (untill Caladan Brood debut this year, you just couldn't find band that plays anything similar to Summoning), they just transcends genres and that can be problem for many Metal fans. If I would label them in any genre, that would probably be Epic Fantasy Ambiental with a little Black Metal touch (more in vocals, less in music). Hell, even band members, Protector and Silenius, admitted in some recent interview, they are not listening to Metal at all. Just open your mind and try to accept them like a Non Metal band and it will do wonders for your imagination. If not, well the tastes differ and that's just a personal thing...
13.07.2013 - 17:12
Erik M.

Written by Guest on 13.07.2013 at 13:16

Man, Summoning is just not Atmospheric Black Metal. People are wrong when trying to label them like that. They are unique (untill Caladan Brood debut this year, you just couldn't find band that plays anything similar to Summoning), they just transcends genres and that can be problem for many Metal fans. If I would label them in any genre, that would probably be Epic Fantasy Ambiental with a little Black Metal touch (more in vocals, less in music). Hell, even band members, Protector and Silenius, admitted in some recent interview, they are not listening to Metal at all. Just open your mind and try to accept them like a Non Metal band and it will do wonders for your imagination. If not, well the tastes differ and that's just a personal thing...

I said the same thing here before when someone called them atmospheric black metal. Summoning are more like epic black metal, although I'd just call it epic atmospheric black(ened folk) metal if anything (going by official subgenres). Vordven's debut reminds me of Summoning at times. Check that one out, I'm sure you'll like it (not quite as good as Summoning though, obviously ). Although Summoning is still metal no matter what if you ask me, just totally different from anything else (except of course Caladan Brood, which you mentioned too).
14.07.2013 - 06:17
Rating: 6
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
It's atmospheric black metal. It's black metal, it has atmosphere. Boom.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
14.07.2013 - 12:43
Masonics

Only thing really "black metal" is both vocals in the typical Black metal "rasp". There is no tremolos in this record, and the guitars have a bit of a black metal type distortion, but imo it could be classified "epic metal, with folk tinges" due to the catchy drumming and folk instruments. Some people classify it as "not black metal" and hence they give it a low score, or some people dont appreciate it, which is fine. Each to their own.
14.07.2013 - 19:56
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Epic metal isn't a genre.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
16.07.2013 - 21:27
Wiillak

I really love the intro song. I don't know why, but when listen to it, remind me the churches varg burnt. I know it's irrelevant
17.07.2013 - 20:44
ravendeath

I don't understand how anyone could rate this with 1. This means that is "worst ever" record. If that's is true than someone must be deaf. If you don't like the record you give a vote 4 (Bad) or 5 (Not Good). Here are four votes that rate this album with 1!?! Rating 1 is reserved for real shit, bands and artists without musical talent, etc... I don't know?
18.07.2013 - 16:10
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by ravendeath on 17.07.2013 at 20:44

I don't understand how anyone could rate this with 1. This means that is "worst ever" record. If that's is true than someone must be deaf. If you don't like the record you give a vote 4 (Bad) or 5 (Not Good). Here are four votes that rate this album with 1!?! Rating 1 is reserved for real shit, bands and artists without musical talent, etc... I don't know?

A couple of those were obvious rating abuse...so they got nuked.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

19.07.2013 - 20:16
Rating: 7
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog

Man that happens to all records on this site that are associated with hype or critical acclaim. Like you say I gave it a 6 because I didn't see anything special in the release. Going to give it a shot in a couple of months....my tastes are always evolving.
20.07.2013 - 02:57
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook

I don't understand how anyone could rate this with 1.

Same way people rate it with a 10.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
20.07.2013 - 03:15
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Boxcar Willy on 20.07.2013 at 02:57

Same way people rate it with a 10.

Or any of the other 8 numbers. They just assign a 1-10 point value based on their opinions. Some of those opinions are positive, some are negative, some are selfish and some are just being assholes...and we all know about opinions and assholes.
----

29.07.2013 - 14:56
Himedal

Quote:

I agree that they are not atmospheric black but I cannot agree they're not metal. the heavily distorted sound of electric guitar and vocals and mixed patterns of drums is so black metal IMO. Their style is just so unique and special. Maybe epic black metal, as you say, can fit pretty well.
----
29.07.2013 - 22:22
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Himedal on 29.07.2013 at 14:56

I agree that they are not atmospheric black but I cannot agree they're not metal. the heavily distorted sound of electric guitar and vocals and mixed patterns of drums is so black metal IMO. Their style is just so unique and special. Maybe epic black metal, as you say, can fit pretty well.

At this point, they're probably about as metal as Burzum's ambient albums.
I'm still having trouble comprehending the fact that atmospheric black can still be categorized as metal. Summoning may have sounded metal up to Stronghold, but they sure as heck don't sound like it now.
29.07.2013 - 22:48
psykometal
A staff guy...
^Agreed.
----

Hits total: 61401 | This month: 66