- Collector's book, including 2 CDs + Blu-ray 12" gatefold LP
- CD jewel case
- Digital download

Recorded at Devasoundz Studios, Athens.
Produced by Peter Tägtgren.

Staff review by
KwonVerge
Rating:
According to Orthodox Easter, Christ will be resurrected by the end of this specific week, springtime unfolds its wings in a shy way, slowly but steadily, the flowers bloom, the butterflies dance and "The Vampire From Nazareth" is about to be awakened. Well, my dear friends, this is the most appropriate moment of the year for a new Septicflesh album.

Read more ››
published 22.04.2011 | Comments (27)

Found in 126 lists
Top lists

Comments page 8 / 13

Comments: 363   Visited by: 2956 users
28.06.2011 - 12:45
Rating: 8
advent
A good album and more melodic from the previous one, on the other hand u get bored quickly from it, my fav. songs are "A Great Mass Of Death" & "Apocalypse".
03.07.2011 - 08:30
Rating: 9
SwingOnThis
Love the album. I think its sounds like it could be used as a soundtrack to a horror film. I preferred Communion only slightly more than this but only because I prefer bombastic over the more horror like theme. "Seth" is a vocal inspiration of mine as well. Septic Flesh put out another great one!
04.07.2011 - 03:14
1muya1
Written by Candlemass on 18.06.2011 at 10:46

Meh...only an handful of bands know how to mix orchestra and metal...This isn't a prime example of one of them.

Actualy it is.
For example, Metalical S&M pretty much an orchesra playing along with Metallica songs.
The Great Mass on the other hand, sounds like a soundtrack to me.
Just a effortless symbiosis of metal and symphony perfectly complamenting each other.
The 5.1 dvd is breathtaking through the surround sound! Epic !
So looking forward to see Septicflesh for the 1st time this month with Devin and Omnivium here in the city of champions!!

Sadly, your oh so tiresome "Meh" axiom of a post could'nt list even one example.
Obvioulsy you cant, anymore then you can list specific reasons why Septicflesh dont know to mix orchestra and metal.
04.07.2011 - 10:47
Rating: 5
Candlemass
Defaeco
Written by 1muya1 on 04.07.2011 at 03:14

Actualy it is.
For example, Metalical S&M pretty much an orchesra playing along with Metallica songs.
Just a effortless symbiosis of metal and symphony perfectly complamenting each other.
So looking forward to see Septicflesh for the 1st time this month with Devin and Omnivium here in the city of champions!!

Sadly, your oh so tiresome "Meh" axiom of a post could'nt list even one example.
Obvioulsy you cant, anymore then you can list specific reasons why Septicflesh dont know to mix orchestra and metal.

Dimmu Borgir, Cradle of Filth, S&M, Most Symphonic Black Metal = shitty.
Biomechnical, Samael, some Moonsorrow = good mix of orchestra instruments and metal.

I find The Great Mass closer to the first. Just too much orchestra for me. Its so overdone without tact.
And worst of all it replaces the need for good riffs.
05.07.2011 - 11:47
garmling
Account deleted
Written by Candlemass on 04.07.2011 at 10:47

Actualy it is.

Biomechnical, Samael, some Moonsorrow = good mix of orchestra instruments and metal.

I find The Great Mass closer to the first. Just too much orchestra for me. Its so overdone without tact.

wtf? Biomechanical, Samael and Moonsorrow have no orchestra in their music, those are keyboards (apart from Samael I can't stand those 2 other bands)! so, it's obvious that you don't like the bands that use actual symphonic orchestra (I like Dimmu Borgir (some albums), Cradle of Filth (some albums) etc) and it's obvious that you don't like classic music, at least in that soundtrack tone...so, since you're probably aware of what to expect from this album (it was heralded all around internet...death metal with real orchestra, symphonic metal etc) I wonder, why did you even bore to listen to this?
and one thing more, I don't care if there's more orchestra and less riffs or the opposite way as far as it sounds good! and please don't say it has no tact, it's just pointless since this album has been done with such care (orchestra was composed by a band member who graduated classical music) that in my opinion has no any filler songs! even Biomechanical with its imo annoying "hundred riffs-tones per second" style has tact!
05.07.2011 - 11:59
garmling
Account deleted
And one more thing! can you please tell me how can you find so many good riffs in Samael and Moonsorrow? sorry but I can't! and where is orchestra in Biomechanical? perhaps on 2 or 3 songs which I missed...so, now your comment is even more pointless!
05.07.2011 - 12:29
Rating: 5
Candlemass
Defaeco
Written by Guest on 05.07.2011 at 11:47

wtf? Biomechanical, Samael and Moonsorrow have no orchestra in their music, those are keyboards (apart from Samael I can't stand those 2 other bands)! so, it's obvious that you don't like the bands that use actual symphonic orchestra (I like Dimmu Borgir (some albums), Cradle of Filth (some albums) etc) and it's obvious that you don't like classic music, at least in that soundtrack tone...so, since you're probably aware of what to expect from this album (it was heralded all around internet...death metal with real orchestra, symphonic metal etc) I wonder, why did you even bore to listen to this?
and one thing more, I don't care if there's more orchestra and less riffs or the opposite way as far as it sounds good! and please don't say it has no tact, it's just pointless since this album has been done with such care (orchestra was composed by a band member who graduated classical music) that in my opinion has no any filler songs! even Biomechanical with its imo annoying "hundred riffs-tones per second" style has tact!

Have you ever heard Biomechnical or your shitting me?
I heard The Great Mass is good, so I gave it a few spins. I didn't like it.

To my standard of what 'good' metal is, this isn't it. If I want to listen to Orchestral soundtracks I'll listen to them. If I want some killer energetic guitar riffs I'll listen to metal. The mix of the two should be with tact, I don't find it in bands like Dimmu Borgir etc. They overdo everything and the final product is a cheesy, mostly devoid of content, superficial music. - No good riffs, no good orchestra. Just cheesy atmosphere (good drummer tho).

I find Septicflesh at the top of these (tactless) bands. They have much more content, but its still tasteless for me. Biomechnical do a near perfect combination.
10.07.2011 - 03:39
Parasomnia
Written by Guest on 05.07.2011 at 11:47

Written by Candlemass on 04.07.2011 at 10:47

Actualy it is.

+1
11.07.2011 - 11:00
Night Sight
At the first listen it did n't impressed me
but i gave it more listens
now it really grows on me
----
Alone in birth
Alone in the darkness
Alone in death
Alone in the daylight
11.07.2011 - 23:19
VPeter
One of the few times I agree with Marcel. Hollenthon is better.

The Great Mess, is a decent album but nothing more than that. Lot's of it sounds the same, nothing really stands out that much. Hollenthon's songs have a face of their own, even The Monolith Deathcult's Trivmvirate does it better than The Great Mass. And Trivmvirate is technically a far worse album. However The Great Mass, is still better than other big hyped Death metal bands releases, mostly thanks to it's symphonic fluff.
19.07.2011 - 13:44
Rating: 10
drdml
Best album i've heard this year.
23.07.2011 - 22:19
My only complaint is the extremely annoying, whiny clean vocals... which is more than enough to entirely kill some tracks for me.

Aside from that, I love this album. (Personally, I don't think the orchestral/symphonic elements sound overdone at all.)
25.07.2011 - 23:06
SceneryOfLoss
I got the Disc II as offer from a bought I made on Season of Mist
01.08.2011 - 06:01
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
elite
I really like it, but i do agree that it has a bit too much symphonics and not enough Aggression when it is needed.
03.09.2011 - 11:55
Fredd
Account deleted
This and agony are both overrated.. I'd give them both 7, no more.
03.09.2011 - 14:48
RockeRoy
This guys know how to mix orchestra and metal, much better than Fleshgod apocalypse. Dimmu borgir is the masters stil, but these guys have awsome riffs and vocal, and the drummer is a fucking beast
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
12.09.2011 - 04:43
Opethian
Just got it, this album fucking Destroys! If your getting tired of bands like Behemoth, this will cure you haha. 9/10 for me.
16.09.2011 - 19:37
His Eminence
Account deleted
I didn't think they could do it, but this album is even more enjoyable to me than Communion.
17.09.2011 - 15:14
Mehdi Taba
Mehdi Taba
Orchestra Parts Was Awesome .
20.09.2011 - 12:38
JD
Account deleted
Written by Mehdi Taba on 17.09.2011 at 15:14

But the Metal parts sucked IMO. Having said that.
20.09.2011 - 12:45
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 20.09.2011 at 12:38

But to award it a 1 means it's even worse than anything by The Great Kat or St. Anger by Metallica.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.09.2011 - 12:53
JD
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.09.2011 at 12:45

Written by Guest on 20.09.2011 at 12:38

But to award it a 1 means it's even worse than anything by The Great Kat or St. Anger by Metallica.

Well to be honest at first I gave it a 5, then after seeing all these comments I gave it a 3, then I watched the horrible bonus dvd and I gave it a straight 1.

PS: I only have two "1 votes" in my collection, I don't like to bash bands or anything, but I just hate this album, NOT the band.
20.09.2011 - 13:00
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 20.09.2011 at 12:53

PS: I only have two "1 votes" in my collection, I don't like to bash bands or anything, but I just hate this album, NOT the band.

But to award it a worse ever is a bit over the top, don't you agree? There's loads worse stuff out there.
And no I don't like The Great Mass at all, imo it's the single most overrated album this year. The symphonies are okay, nothing more, and the metal parts are just weak.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.09.2011 - 13:12
JD
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.09.2011 at 13:00

But to award it a worse ever is a bit over the top, don't you agree? There's loads worse stuff out there.

Yeah I do agree, but there is a difference between not liking an album because it's bad, and hating an album because it's overrated\sell-out, there are many bands used symphonic\orchestra in their music, they are not the first band doing that. I don't know what the big deal about it, it's just a normal album.
20.09.2011 - 13:19
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 20.09.2011 at 13:12

...there are many bands used symphonic\orchestra in their music, they are not the first band doing that. I don't know what the big deal about it, it's just a normal album.

I totally agree with you on that. But then again I never understood any of the big deal concerning SeptciFlesh's previous albums either.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.09.2011 - 13:27
JD
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.09.2011 at 13:19

...there are many bands used symphonic\orchestra in their music, they are not the first band doing that. I don't know what the big deal about it, it's just a normal album.

I totally agree with you on that. But then again I never understood any of the big deal concerning SeptciFlesh's previous albums either.

I really don't know, nothing special about it, but it was surely more metal than this one.
20.09.2011 - 14:33
Rating: 7
InnerSelf
proofread free
^ Communion was great actually , it was fresh and balanced. here the orchestral parts are good but the metal parts are almost just fill-ins. can't understand anyone choosing this over the last one
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
21.09.2011 - 11:01
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.09.2011 at 13:19

communion and summerian daemons are 2 awesome albums. fresh and refreshing, also completely different from each other.
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
27.09.2011 - 00:21
Lit.
Account deleted
I'm gonna have to say FA - Agony is far better. I couldn't even get past the first 2 tracks on this.
27.09.2011 - 00:47
Rating: 6
Death
Is it just me that don't come to love this album?

I really like this new release but not that much to rate "excellent" or "perfect".

Probably the singer's voice is what I can't adapt to.

Hits total: 73199 | This month: 93