08. For The Greater Good Of God
09. Lord Of Light
10. The Legacy
11. Hallowed Be Thy Name [Radio 1 'Legends' Session] [iTunes bonus]

Disc II [Special Edition DVD]
+ The Making Of A Matter Of Life And Death
+ The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg [video]
+ The Band Recording "Different World"

It's never easy to write the review of the new album of the legendary Iron Maiden. The band is so big and famous that you'll always get comments from the nostalgic people that will say that it was better before (a point that is not especially wrong on a side) and comment from some others ones who cannot understand that a band can change a bit its musical orientation and will always request hits a la "Fear Of The Dark". Unfortunately for them, "A Matter Of Life And Death", 14th release is of the combo, is different? Really dark with a lot of progressive elements, I think that the ones who want some new "The Number Of The Beast" will be disappointed but all the ones who (like me) believe that "Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son" is the best album of the band, will like the new release?

Strangely, I only found one song, "Different World", that follows the lines of "Brave New World" and "Dance Of Death". With its catchy chorus, it fast rhythm (all the other songs are in general slower) it will be easy for you to remember its melody and if this song will work live, in my opinion it's definitely not the best song of the album? Because on the other hand, "A Matter Of Life And Death" is full of long (with an average length of seven, height or even nine minutes!) mid-tempo songs, and those long songs follow the spirit of "Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son". Dark and sad with some keyboards and a lot of progressive elements, "These Colours Don't Run" or "For The Greater Good Of God" for example are like the little brothers of a song like "Moonchild". It's definitely not easy of access, it will never pass on a radio or in a club but there is something good in those songs. It's not an "easy" Iron Maiden and it's obvious that the band worked a lot on this new release. The arrangements are complex, the riffs are all but not commercial and since that I like progressive music I'm starting to like more and more this new album. Evidently you'll still be able to listen to the really special original Maiden sound but a song like "On Lord Of Light" is so dark and different that the second part of the song will be really surprising for the fans. Because of course, since that the songs are not short the guys put a lot of variations, break etc in the music.

The production is also really surprising, especially when you know that Steve Harris said lately that it was recorded in a completely live state to give to the listeners a pure "old school" sound. You will see, it is really impressive and it works! Also, maybe if it's not the best performance ever of Dickinson but I think that his voice is better than on "Dance Of Death" and for sure, since that it's not so easy to sing on such complex songs we can say one more time that this guy is just an amazing singer of Heavy Metal. With "A Matter Of Life And Death" it's really hard to find a negative point with the production, even the "chaotic" cover with a "G.I." Eddie is a great and when I see the logo of the album, I'm sure that we will have a lot of good surprises with the stage of the upcoming Iron Maiden's tour?

For sure I know that some of you will be disappointed (and they will be maybe right after all) because the Maiden's "hits" are missing but on the other hand the new album is a lot better than (at least) their four last albums. It's different ok and you'll need time to "enter" into "A Matter Of Life And Death" but with time I'm ready to bet a lot of money that a lot of the dissidents will change their opinion?

"A Matter Of Life And Death" is probably not the best album of Iron Maiden and a lot of people will be disturbed by the fact that it's not an album that it will be easy to listen to. But like with "Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son" the band took some risks and at the end even if we don't have any spectacular songs, a lot of the tracks of this new CD are full of great things. This is different, never "happy" but these dark progressive aspects that you'll be able to find on the majority of the songs of the album are just cool. To finish, just remember this last tip? Don't be fast with this album, listen to it again and again and you'll see that at the end you'll agree with me to say that it is really entertaining, at the opposite of "Dance Of Death", the complexity of "A Matter Of Life And Death" proves that it's an interesting album. "A Matter Of Life And Death" is the proof that Iron Maiden still knows how to surprise us with some great original music.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written by Jeff | 28.08.2006

Guest review by
Lupas
Rating:
A Matter Of Life And Death is an album concerning warfare, religion, and the causal connections between the two. Accordingly, Maiden entered the stage to the sound of war-movie music, in front of a backdrop which initially shows the bombed-out ruins of what might be Strasbourg 1977 or, given the band's East End origins, Stratford.

Read more ››
published 06.02.2007 | Comments (31)

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 89   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 283 users
31.08.2006 - 20:49
Rating: 9
RavenLord
Written by Guest on 30.08.2006 at 11:33

Hi all of you...
....For all Iron Maiden fans: Congratulations with the new album!

Great post, Andreas. I think you've summed up my feelings about this album; it takes time to sink in, and you have to approach it with an open mind. If any other band had written an album like this, they would have been praised by everyone. Because it's Maiden, however, the bar is that little bit higher, and people are inclined to expect a little bit more.
----
31.08.2006 - 23:10
Baz Anderson
Staff
hmmm. well i have listened to it a few times now and i must confess i dont feel drawn towards listening to it again although i am sure i will soon enough
i think this might be an album that goes in with 'No Prayer For The Dying' and 'Fear Of The Dark' - the albums that didnt really excite me much

i will listen to it more and more though - i really hope i get into it more and like it more. but i dont want to have to force myself to like it
first impressions really are its a bit bland and repetetive and missing some good happeier up-tempo songs
i do like the album though

but these are just opinions formed after a few listens
01.09.2006 - 12:37
Masai
This is Iron Maiden definitively, so I like it. But, there are no songs that really hit me. I really wanted to be pleasantly surprised, but after listening it through several times, it still sounds a bit flat. I loved the old Iron Maiden, but did also really like Seventh Son, and even Brave New World sounded pretty good to me. Maybe I need to listen it through once again.
03.09.2006 - 03:25
IronMaiden_00
Account deleted
Yeah!!! Another album from the best Heavy Metal band... Iron Maiden!!! I´ve listened the album and the song "Different World" is really awesome...
I like this album very much!!!
UP THE IRONS!
03.09.2006 - 17:38
madgarry
Account deleted
Spot on review and the 8.4 score is about what ide give it....
04.09.2006 - 02:08
Unholy_Emperor
GREAT, I like it a lot.

UP THE IRONS!
04.09.2006 - 03:14
-Valhalla-
I'm waiting for the live album to come out, being called "A Matter of Live and Death"
----
A decapitated head could remain conscious for up to 30 seconds after being removed, offering the victim a truly unique perspective on the world for those last few moments.
04.09.2006 - 03:19
-Valhalla-
any one else see the similarities?
----
A decapitated head could remain conscious for up to 30 seconds after being removed, offering the victim a truly unique perspective on the world for those last few moments.
08.09.2006 - 18:46
Rating: 8
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Haha, that's great dude ^^

Actually, a lot of the catchy parts, melodies and choruses reminds me a lot of the No Prayer sound. I have listened maybe 5 times, and my favourites so far are Brigther than a Thousand Suns (really strange song, but rather brilliant), For the Greater Good of God and Different World. Though I dont, like a lot of you, see anything in the last two songs.
09.09.2006 - 21:54
Rating: 3
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
i was really dispointed, i found alot of the songs sounded the same to me, barely any fast charging parts (there are a few but not as much as there should be) in comparison to other maiden albums id give this a 3.5, but overall id give it a 6.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
11.09.2006 - 22:54
Rating: 8
Bas
Retired Staff
Elite
it's really awesome!

in my opinion by far Iron Maiden's best work
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
13.09.2006 - 00:25
Hokusai
Account deleted
Amazing...

One of the greatest Maiden albums ever...
13.09.2006 - 02:18
Rating: 4
Dam3k
a very poor album... incredible ur comments
----

14.09.2006 - 00:23
Dam3k
Written by Silent Creeper on 13.09.2006 at 23:00

Written by Dam3k on 13.09.2006 at 02:18

I think that your comment is incredible... If we all here think that this album is great and you are the only one that disagree, it is much more possible that you are wrong. Well everyone can have his own opinion but you have to write down why you think like that, not just post that you think that this album is poor. Specially if so many people here thinks opposite.

haha lol =), we need some manners there huh? =) it's pretty interesting this part: "If we all here think that this album is great and you are the only one that disagree, it is much more possible that you are wrong", the world won't advance if that would be true. Well so u want a large and constructive opinion?kk:

Well, this album is hard to get into and at first I was horrorized... later I realized it wasn't that bad... but well it's not for sure "number of the beast", "7th son of a 7th son" and neither "killers", and it has almost the same rating, that's incredible, cuz u cannot compare a mix of songs with 7-8-9 mins length which have 1-2-3 mins repetitive with the very best. Normally I'm open to a band change but this was... just not was I expected... truly unoriginal compositions, with a more comercial way... and much less feeling than other albums. The thing I truly appreciate in this album is the performance who I think it's excelent... in brief...:

Performance: 9
Originality: 7
Overall impression: 7

TOTAL: 7.5

And I'm not the unique who thinks that... if that means something for u...
----

14.09.2006 - 15:18
Dam3k
Written by Silent Creeper on 14.09.2006 at 08:09

Written by Dam3k on 14.09.2006 at 00:23

Written by Silent Creeper on 13.09.2006 at 23:00

Written by Dam3k on 13.09.2006 at 02:18

I think that your comment is incredible... If we all here think that this album is great and you are the only one that disagree, it is much more possible that you are wrong. Well everyone can have his own opinion but you have to write down why you think like that, not just post that you think that this album is poor. Specially if so many people here thinks opposite.

haha lol =), we need some manners there huh? =) it's pretty interesting this part: "If we all here think that this album is great and you are the only one that disagree, it is much more possible that you are wrong", the world won't advance if that would be true. Well so u want a large and constructive opinion?kk:

Well, this album is hard to get into and at first I was horrorized... later I realized it wasn't that bad... but well it's not for sure "number of the beast", "7th son of a 7th son" and neither "killers", and it has almost the same rating, that's incredible, cuz u cannot compare a mix of songs with 7-8-9 mins length which have 1-2-3 mins repetitive with the very best. Normally I'm open to a band change but this was... just not was I expected... truly unoriginal compositions, with a more comercial way... and much less feeling than other albums. The thing I truly appreciate in this album is the performance who I think it's excelent... in brief...:

Well, thak you for explaination.

KK dude, everyone focuses his attention in different parts of music and I focus so much attention in the feeling, so that's why this album isn't that good, cuz IMO has less feeling, less original atmosphere than that 80s nwobh heavy metal band called Iron Maiden
----

18.09.2006 - 01:26
Rating: 6
Robstar
Great Front cover...
Personally I must say I don't like Iron Maiden's last couple of albums , a few songs are ok , but for me till Fear of the Dark they ruled!
Anyway , I did not like it so much ...
I give it a 5:sleep:
----
Nothing is unreacheable
20.09.2006 - 11:44
zagibu
I like it very much. I'm one of the newer Maiden fans, though (SSOASS is the oldest album I have). It usually takes some spins for me to get into new IM albums, but this one only took two. I think it's a good mix of melody and heaviness.
23.09.2006 - 04:30
Iron_Metalfan
Account deleted
WHAT THE HELL!! Im a huge Maiden fan and was counting the days till this came out. Good album BUT the last song : The Legacy is easily one of the worst maiden tunes ever. The song starts off like a ripoff of dance of death , then once bruce starts singing it sounds too much like pashendale. Then they recycled the riff for Where eagles dare about haff way through the song. Dont mean to bash maiden but compared to every other tune in there songbook, this lazy bloated sensless mess is nothing. This album would have been better without it...... Just my opinion, But this song just makes me angry. Guess I just hate TO SEE A GOOD THING GO BAD.
17.12.2006 - 13:09
HeathenBlood
Account deleted
I liked the new album...benjamin and for the greater good of god are one of the be st maiden songs...but this album didn't satisfied me at all even though i'm a great maiden fan..
05.01.2007 - 17:54
DLMokoma
Account deleted
Really good material. So far I've liked every single song of the album
06.01.2007 - 04:36
Dan066
Account deleted
Great album. The more I listen to it, the more I like it. It also sounds great live, if you've seen there AMOLAD tour they play the entire album straight through and it sounds really good. Favorite tracks are "These Colors Don't Run", "The Pilgrim", and "Lord of Light".
06.01.2007 - 14:29
RavenLord
Well, I must have listened to this album at least 50 times, and I still don't get bored of it. I suppose I'm just a sucker for anything Maiden...
----
16.02.2007 - 19:16
PrettyMao

I know this post is a little late, but dude, your math skills suck mega donkey balls....

(9 + 8 + 7 + 9 + 7) / 5 = 8.0

Try investing your hard earned minimum wage in a fucking calculator!

love

Mao
----
The Mao loves you all!!!

**KISS**KISS**
17.02.2007 - 16:35
Dam3k
Written by PrettyMao on 16.02.2007 at 19:16

I know this post is a little late, but dude, your math skills suck mega donkey balls....

(9 + 8 + 7 + 9 + 7) / 5 = 8.0

Try investing your hard earned minimum wage in a fucking calculator!

love

Mao

pretty clever dude, but overall mark doesn't depend of the other so... it's the global mark I think the album deserve... I didn't read anywhere that marks should be relationated with the global mark, anyway, a difference of 0.5 it's not that important. The parts of a thing haven't nothing to do with the global thing... someone could have a beautiful eyes and an ugly face... next time think before talking

P.D: what's ur education level?
P.D2: are u that brave on real life? or just in the metalforums?

XX

dam3k
----

19.02.2007 - 16:23
flakker
Account deleted
8.0,8.3 who cares! Its Iron Maiden the greatest metal band of all time!
I give it a 10.0
Long they live,
22.02.2007 - 19:12
PrettyMao
Written by Dam3k on 17.02.2007 at 16:35

pretty clever dude, but overall mark doesn't depend of the other so... it's the global mark I think the album deserve... I didn't read anywhere that marks should be relationated with the global mark, anyway, a difference of 0.5 it's not that important. The parts of a thing haven't nothing to do with the global thing... someone could have a beautiful eyes and an ugly face... next time think before talking

P.D: what's ur education level?
P.D2: are u that brave on real life? or just in the metalforums?

XX

dam3k

I apologize for the late response....

I am glad you find determining the mean value from a set of numbers a clever trick, but there is no magic being done here, no slight of hand. In fact you can learn to do this and more!!

Now, if 7.5 was the overall mark you wanted to give it, you should have given it a 7.5 in the "overall impression" category instead of 7.0. By using the word "TOTAL" that would suggest that it is somehow related, or "relationated" as you like to say, to a set of numbers; otherwise, a total of nothing is in fact nothing.

Also, the fact that you used the same rating system Metal Storm uses to evaluate albums would suggest you should have tallied the final rating in a similar fashion. (By the way, they take the average value of the scores from each of the five categories, or did you just think they gave album ratings of 8.3, 9.2, 6.7, etc on a whim?).

Now you say, "The parts of a thing haven't nothing to do with the global thing... " Which, by the way, is a double negative. In any case, do not the wheels of a car have a significant role in how a car moves? If we were to take them away could your mom still drive you to the store to pick up some eggs (and maybe a calculator)? In fact, it is the many parts that make up the total thing, if you didn't have the parts, you would have nothing. As for the beautiful eyes and an ugly face, I really don't see the point you are trying to make. Please explain.

My education level? High enough to know how to find the mean value of a data set. So... let's say grade 9...

Am I brave in real life? I don't know, I don't run into too many idiots that I need to point out their mathematical mistakes. Am I brave in metal forums? Yeah sure, but you should really see me take it to those kids in the pokemon forums. The little bastards never see it coming!

Lovingly Yours,

Mao

XOXOXOxoxoxoxOXOXOX

@ Flakker, I have nothing wrong with the Maiden album, I think it is awesome, and I love Maiden. However, I do have issues with flagrant disregard of proper mathematics and logical fallicies.
----
The Mao loves you all!!!

**KISS**KISS**
22.02.2007 - 22:32
darksun
I think they all have the greatest period of their lives and musics.They have reached a great point.They make songs that will prove their gretness.I like tka album very much and especially out of the shadows and for the greater good of god.
----
Dark is the sunlight,we cast the life together
Dark is the sunlight or I'm blind forever..
23.02.2007 - 03:24
Both Bears

and logical fallicies.

fallacies?

when I listened to the album in a store it kinda blew me out .. later I listened to it again and didn't really find a reason to listen to it another time :S
05.03.2007 - 03:49
Rating: 3
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
how in the blue hell this album got heavy metal album of the year is mind boggling.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
06.03.2007 - 16:11
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Doc G. on 05.03.2007 at 03:49

how in the blue hell this album got heavy metal album of the year is mind boggling.

Because somehow people ALWAYS vote for what they know... even though it might be shit. Iron Maiden is a big band with lots of fanboys/girls following them around and those fanboys/girls will always vote for their fav band no matter how shitty the album was.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Hits total: 18602 | This month: 35