Metal Storm logo
Thergothon

Original post

Posted by Vunts, 17.05.2006 - 20:05
I was sky high when i got their CD: Thergothon - Streams From The Heavens
It was the best luck that i've had for a long time. And i would beat someone to a pulp to have the original CD...or simply pay lots of money...either way, i'd win.

The band is probably the biggest influence to the funeral/drone doom scene and for finding about them, i have to thank the Terrorizer magazine - issue 144 - May 2006. The band has SUCH an AWESOME atmosphere that it makes others pale in comparision. I simply can't pick a favourite out of the 6 tracks clocking in at 40 minutes. Rather short tracks for doom metal aren't they. But even like that, they did their work perfectly.
The short description written in the magazine about the CD is the following:
Quote:
So leaden and unremittingly heavy that many have found it almost an endurance test, Thergothon's album is an airless, joyless, claustrophobic crush, and not for the faint-hearted. It's hardly surprising that the band called it quits after this, but Pandora's box couldn't be closed - The birth of the entire genre of funeral doom could easily be laid at the feet of "Stream From the Heavens"

I also read from some place that Sunn O))) supposedly owes Thergothon their own existence.
This band that i just discovered a few days ago stormed to the tops of my doom playlist. And it has promise of sticking there for a looong time.

EDIT: don't call yourselves a funeral doom fan if you haven't heard this release

Poll

A few short points

I like them
Never heard of them before this thread
I appreciate their influence
I dislike them

Total votes: 32
30.05.2010 - 02:42
Got Mayhem?

Nothing like the classics for when your in a good doomy mood (which is just about always for me lately). Stream from the Heavens isn't just the beginning of funeral doom, it's an immense album on it's own - legacy aside. It is true that it's a bit short, but nothing is perfect in life unfortunately.
----
31.05.2010 - 04:22
whatsacow

I wept tears of joy when this band introduced me to the dark world of funeral doom. Such a shame they dont have any more albums.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
31.05.2010 - 04:29
Got Mayhem?

Written by whatsacow on 31.05.2010 at 04:22

I wept tears of joy when this band introduced me to the dark world of funeral doom. Such a shame they dont have any more albums.

Agreed. There are a couple of unreleased demos that you can find around the internet on blogspots and such but other than that this is all we'll ever have...
----
31.05.2010 - 17:21
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Got Mayhem? on 31.05.2010 at 04:29

Agreed. There are a couple of unreleased demos that you can find around the internet on blogspots and such but other than that this is all we'll ever have...

I think they only have one demo. And an extra song on some sort of compilation.
All their songs have been covered on the Thergothon tribute that was released by Solitude Productions earlier this year.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

31.05.2010 - 17:48
Got Mayhem?

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 31.05.2010 at 17:21

All their songs have been covered on the Thergothon tribute that was released by Solitude Productions earlier this year.

http://nikoskorpio.net/thergothon/?p=2
Down at the bottom are the unreleased items. Most of them can be heard on youtube or downloaded through a blogspot. I can only guess as to how something 'unreleased' got around to the general public but I'm not complaining . Last I saw, MS actually had one of these demos listed.

Edit: Yep, here it is http://www.metalstorm.net/bands/album.php?album_id=30830&band_id=&bandname=Thergothon
----
31.05.2010 - 17:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Got Mayhem? on 31.05.2010 at 17:48

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 31.05.2010 at 17:21

http://nikoskorpio.net/thergothon/?p=2
Down at the bottom are the unreleased items. Most of them can be heard on youtube or downloaded through a blogspot. I can only guess as to how something 'unreleased' got around to the general public but I'm not complaining . Last I saw, MS actually had one of these demos listed.

Thanks for the link.
Dancing In The Realm Of Shades is featured on the tribute I just mentioned.
Here is the tracklisting:

Rising Of Yog-Sothoth - Tribute To Thergothon
CD1
1. Asunder - Who Rides The Astral Wings
2. Officium Triste - Crying Blood And Crimson Snow
3. Evoken - Yet The Watchers Guard
4. Imindain - Everlasting
5. Colosseum - The Unknown Kadath In The Cold Waste
6. Mournful Congregation - Elemental
7. Worship - Evoken
8. Umbra Nihil - The Twilight Fade
9. Persistence In Mourning - Dancing In The Realm Of Shades