03. Desolate Funeral Chant
04. Cosmic Invocation Rites
05. Conjuration
06. Upon The Fire Winged Demon
07. Ominous Doctrines Of The Perpetual Mystical Macrocosm
08. Crepuscular Battle Hymn
09. Hymn For A Dead Star
10. Across The Abyss Ancient Horns Gray

Inquisition... nyaaaaaaaaaaarghhghghghhhhh!!!!!!

No further introduction necessary I'd say, so let's continue.

Ominous Doctrines Of The Perpetual Mystical Macrocosm is the new Inquisition album and it is Inquisition at its most inquisition-y. A lightning fast, razor-sharp riff accompanied by thundering drums (got any more clichés? i'm game), followed by Lord Frog's awesome croak... it's all there. Yeah, yeah baby, yeah!

I'm sorry.

Inquisition prove with ODOTMM they are still masters at what they do, which is invoking a trancelike, satanic atmosphere through employing both droning, croaky vocals coupled with tremolo-heavy yet catchy and infectiously dark Black metal sharp-as-a-razor, fast-as-a-shark riffs. With kick-ass-soul-cutting solos. Ace! Honestly, who kicks it like Lord Frog and his companion does? Not even the infernal lord himself, I dare say.

I'm pretty much at a loss for words right now, because what is their to add...

Inqy once again releases an album of high quality, in their own truly unique style. You're going to love it or hate it, depending on what you thought of their previous albums. You can trust me on that one. Oh - if you've never heard Inqy before, but you are into to evil and raw Black metal, check them out! Today! Or tomorrow, whatever works best for you. I don't really care either way; I'm occupied banging my head to the tunes of Lord Inqy!

Lucifer, punish your enemies oh lord of the night! Destroy them all!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 8

Written on 13.11.2010 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments

Comments: 38   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 317 users
14.11.2010 - 01:58
Rating: 8
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Lol, what a wicked review (so many high points haha). Now I really can't wait >:
----
loves 小巫
14.11.2010 - 15:04
TheBigRossowski

I had NO fuckin' idea that their new record just came out.

I'm outta my fuckin' element...
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
14.11.2010 - 16:08
vezzy
Stallmanite
Oh yeah, I was gonna check this out sometime. Great review though, hahaha.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
14.11.2010 - 16:10
RavenKing

The only feeling I can get when hearing their songs is laughing and taking this band as a joke because vocals suck so much ass.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
14.11.2010 - 16:15
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by RavenKing on 14.11.2010 at 16:10

The only feeling I can get when hearing their songs is laughing and taking this band as a joke because vocals suck so much ass.

If you don't worship Lord Inqy you're not worthy of manhood.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
14.11.2010 - 18:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Inquisition is imo thwe single most overrated cult bm band
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.11.2010 - 19:39
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Sorry but I'm probably closer to agreeing with Marcel on this band =P Haven't heard this one though.
14.11.2010 - 20:41
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.11.2010 at 18:42

More overrated than Leviathan, Xasthur, Marduk etc.? Come on.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
14.11.2010 - 20:56
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Lucas on 14.11.2010 at 20:41

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.11.2010 at 18:42

More overrated than Leviathan, Xasthur, Marduk etc.? Come on.

Yes, certainly, cause at least those bands have some sort to a lot of artistic merit to them.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.11.2010 - 21:01
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Bleh, I don't see it. I personally find them very overrated. Artistic merit? Wtf is that? Inquisition is unique, at least.
----

14.11.2010 - 21:04
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Lucas on 14.11.2010 at 21:01

Bleh, I don't see it. I personally find them very overrated. Artistic merit? Wtf is that? Inquisition is unique, at least.

Unique don't make me laugh. They sound like a totally underporduced Dissection with worse songs and even worse vocals.
The riffs they play have been done to death.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.11.2010 - 21:06
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.11.2010 at 21:04

Written by Lucas on 14.11.2010 at 21:01

Unique don't make me laugh. They sound like a totally underporduced Dissection with worse songs and even worse vocals.
The riffs they play have been done to death.

Find me a vocalist that sounds like Dagon. Riffs, ok, not unique but still pretty killer compared to most bands imo. Could be due to the fact I never liked Dissection.
----

15.11.2010 - 14:20
RavenKing

Written by Lucas on 14.11.2010 at 21:06

Find me a vocalist that sounds like Dagon.

No thanks. The guy fucking sucks. If you want well-done croaking vocals, listen to Summoning "Lugburz" or the song "Elfstone" (on "Dol Guldur") or to Abbath (of Immortal).
Inquisition's vocals are just lame, sleep-inducing and boring to death.

And Marcel is right: there's nothing original in their music. Rather mediocre, in fact.
The only distinctive element in this band is vocals, and they're distinctive in the bad way.
----
15.11.2010 - 20:02
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by RavenKing on 15.11.2010 at 14:20

Written by Lucas on 14.11.2010 at 21:06

Find me a vocalist that sounds like Dagon.

No thanks. The guy fucking sucks. If you want well-done croaking vocals, listen to Summoning "Lugburz" or the song "Elfstone" (on "Dol Guldur") or to Abbath (of Immortal).
Inquisition's vocals are just lame, sleep-inducing and boring to death.

And Marcel is right: there's nothing original in their music. Rather mediocre, in fact.
The only distinctive element in this band is vocals, and they're distinctive in the bad way.

To each his own, I gues. I personally dislike Summoning and Immortal as well, though I appreciate the latter for their past.
----

19.11.2010 - 02:29
UnknownCheese

Never heard more than one minute of Inquisition, but being worse than Leviathan or Xasthur is an impossibility.
19.11.2010 - 02:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by UnknownCheese on 19.11.2010 at 02:29

Never heard more than one minute of Inquisition, but being worse than Leviathan or Xasthur is an impossibility.

first of all that is simple since 90% of black metal is worse and second Striborg is possibly the worst ever bm to grace the face of the earth.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.11.2010 - 02:56
UnknownCheese

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.11.2010 at 02:52

first of all that is simple since 90% of black metal is worse and second Striborg is possibly the worst ever bm to grace the face of the earth.

Nah, those two are pretty much the bottom of the barrel, though yeah, Striborg are really bad.
19.11.2010 - 03:08
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by UnknownCheese on 19.11.2010 at 02:56

Nah, those two are pretty much the bottom of the barrel, though yeah, Striborg are really bad.

mmm checking your posts there isn't a single thing there about what you like or think is good. Looks as if we have a troll here... Only whining how crap everything is. Would be mor interested in seeing what BM you DO like so it's possible to understand where you're coming from when you say Xasthur and Leviathan are the bottom of the barrel.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.11.2010 - 15:42
RavenKing

Striborg is possibly the worst ever bm to grace the face of the earth.

Indeed. But Elffor and Burzum both come very close, imo.
----
21.11.2010 - 15:47
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by RavenKing on 21.11.2010 at 15:42

Striborg is possibly the worst ever bm to grace the face of the earth.

Indeed. But Elffor and Burzum both come very close, imo.

Never heard Elffor, so I can't judge. BBurzum I generally I agree although there are one or two tracks I do enjoy.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.11.2010 - 19:49
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.11.2010 at 15:47

although there are one or two tracks I do enjoy.

... WHAT?

XD

Next time you will tell me that you enjoy some tracks by Lifelover or Mithras
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
22.11.2010 - 02:30
spirit_inblack
harshhead
They are AWESOME. Cmon, to play in Winnipeg you've gotta be somewhat awesome.
22.11.2010 - 02:36
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Inquisition need no artistic merit! It's not about that here, dudes. Xasthur.. you've scoped out the real piss there, same with most Marduk, but Leviathan's pretty decent IMO. If the argument is about being worse than most USBM, give me some examples fellows, cause I'd like to hear them.
22.11.2010 - 07:00
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by spirit_inblack on 22.11.2010 at 02:36

If the argument is about being worse than most USBM, give me some examples fellows, cause I'd like to hear them.

99.9% of the LLN bands, loads of German BM such as Nargaroth. Actually loads of bands are worse than most USBM
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.11.2010 - 09:03
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Haha, I'll never post after having a few drinks again on the subject of black metal, cause I'm well aware of this lol. You're quite correct (to be fair, LLN has more good bands than that though).

I guess what I meant was, disregarding all the bands that are clones and shitty bedroom wankery, who are they any worse than? Can probably just be chalked up to difference of opinion though, since they aren't for everyone (especially with those vocals). We can agree that Striborg are probably not only the worst BM band ever, but the worst project ever. The only thing Sin Nanna ever did that was worth anything was Pentemple.
22.11.2010 - 09:36
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by spirit_inblack on 22.11.2010 at 09:03

Haha, I'll never post after having a few drinks again on the subject of black metal, cause I'm well aware of this lol. You're quite correct (to be fair, LLN has more good bands than that though).

I guess what I meant was, disregarding all the bands that are clones and shitty bedroom wankery, who are they any worse than? Can probably just be chalked up to difference of opinion though, since they aren't for everyone (especially with those vocals). We can agree that Striborg are probably not only the worst BM band ever, but the worst project ever. The only thing Sin Nanna ever did that was worth anything was Pentemple.

And of course Sin Nanna's claim to fame is that Sunn O))) named a song on Black One after him and are fans of Striborg
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.11.2010 - 23:21
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.11.2010 at 09:36

And of course Sin Nanna's claim to fame is that Sunn O))) named a song on Black One after him and are fans of Striborg

I understand that the guys from Sunn O))) must have smoked a lot and probably still do... But how can they smoke so much that they think Striborg is good? Shit...
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
22.11.2010 - 23:25
Lucas
Mr. Noise
It's called crack, bro.
----

19.12.2010 - 04:50
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
When I saw the opening 'nyaaaaaaaaaaarghhghghghhhhh!!!!!!' I knew it was Lucas who was reviewing this one

Great 'OMG-this shit is awesome (on first listen)' review. I think you've hit it on the spot. And I can somewhat see the comparisons to Dissection but this album is so damn catchy and has such a menacing atmosphere that I don't care - I like the mid-paced grooves that they've got going on too. Also, I've really taken a liking to the croaked-style of vocals over the years so that doesn't bother me one bit.

Desolate Funeral Chant!! \m/
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."
27.02.2012 - 11:55
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Why am I just hearing this? Sounds great and I'm only on my first listen!
----
Coldgrits

Hits total: 12142 | This month: 20