09. Dissident Aggressor [Judas Priest cover]
10. Spill The Blood

Top 20 albums of 1988: 7
Top 200 albums of all time: 152
Featured in "Getting Into: Slayer"

Guest review by
un4givendemon
Rating:
It's been 20 years since a masterpiece was left to us here on earth. 20 years of bleeding ears and head-banging; 20 years of Thrash at its finest. "South of Heaven" is not only a milestone for metal; it created a standard for all Thrash to follow. Slayer burst onto the scene like only Satan's minions could and rocked our bodies until our brains were sore. This album is fierce; it's powerful; it's metal.

Read more ››
published 09.09.2007 | Comments (30)

Guest review by
Stuart
Rating:
After the worldwide exposure Slayer received for their previous release, Reign in Blood, the anticipation for its follow-up was immense. They had already pushed the boundaries of Thrash Metal to its extremities, what could they possibly come up with to tread anywhere even close to that? In South of Heaven they gave the perfect answer to all the sceptics.

Read more ››
published 16.04.2008 | Comments (3)

Found in 91 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 47   Visited by: 1487 users
28.11.2010 - 06:41
Rating: 10
Angelic Storm
Melodious
My favourite Slayer album.

This album has a chilling atmosphere and sound, which is the main reason its my fave Slayer album. Also, the pacing of the album is perfect. Murderous slow burners like the title track and "Mandatory Suicide", are the perfect foil for scorching thrashers like "Silent Scream" and the criminally underrated "Cleanse The Soul". The oppressive and haunting sound is unlike anything on any other Slayer album. Which probably has something to do with the production as well as the songs themselves. (as well as Tom Araya changing his vocal style for this album) Parts like the spine tingling ending to "Mandatory Suicide", and the crazed finale of "Cleanse The Soul" still give me the shivers today! lol

"South Of Heaven" for me is the Slayer album that has it all. Chilling atmosphere, fast songs, slower songs, perfect pacing, and the quality of the songs themselves is imo very high. Most consider "Reign In Blood" or "Seasons In The Abyss" to be the peak of Slayer, but to me the more silent, menacing gem in between those albums is their best work ever. xD
21.07.2011 - 00:17
Mattybu
Great album, but I must say, Judas Priest's version of Dissident Aggressor (the original) is unbelievably so much better.
28.07.2011 - 05:02
RavenKing
Only problem with this album is vocals. Imo, they really suck compared to any other Slayer album of that time.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
28.07.2011 - 09:06
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by RavenKing on 28.07.2011 at 05:02

Only problem with this album is vocals. Imo, they really suck compared to any other Slayer album of that time.

I do think the fact that Tom altered his vocal delivery on this album is one of the main reasons why many people do not consider it a classic in the same way as say "Reign In Blood" or "Seasons In The Abyss". I myself thought the change was great, and fitted in with the different atmosphere they were going for on "South Of Heaven". But when you alter something so integral to a band's sound as vocals, then there are always going to be some who do not like the change, which is fair enough. xD

I remember hearing Kerry saying he doesn't like the way Tom sings on that album, so he agrees with you...
05.09.2011 - 19:25
Death_95
Written by Angelic Storm on 28.07.2011 at 09:06

I do think the fact that Tom altered his vocal delivery on this album is one of the main reasons why many people do not consider it a classic in the same way as say "Reign In Blood" or "Seasons In The Abyss". I myself thought the change was great, and fitted in with the different atmosphere they were going for on "South Of Heaven". But when you alter something so integral to a band's sound as vocals, then there are always going to be some who do not like the change, which is fair enough. xD

I remember hearing Kerry saying he doesn't like the way Tom sings on that album, so he agrees with you...

What's wrong with the vocals ?
09.09.2011 - 02:37
soadbyob
Account deleted
Written by Death_95 on 05.09.2011 at 19:25

Written by Angelic Storm on 28.07.2011 at 09:06

What's wrong with the vocals ?

Agreed. Tom's voice aint that good, but thats the glory of Fuckin Slayer!
14.09.2011 - 03:09
Death_95
Quote:
Agreed. Tom's voice aint that good, but thats the glory of Fuckin Slayer!

Agreed!
26.02.2012 - 00:32
Rating: 9
musicalkaratekid
I'd say slayer had obviously matured since 'reign in blood' to release an album like this two years after. Its not that the pace slowed down, as evident on song such as 'silent scream' or 'behind the crroked cross', just that there were actual well-structured songs on 'south of heaven'. The second installment of the mighty trio, as i like to say.
26.02.2012 - 00:36
JohnDoe
Account deleted
My favorite Slayer album as well.

nothing more to say
07.09.2012 - 19:35
RokBoks
Fuckin' great album just feels evil
Solid: /5
09.11.2012 - 22:54
megadeath13
Account deleted
Their most mature album of the 80s but still as evil and aggressive like the others. Live undead or mendatory suicide are just amazing.
23.12.2012 - 07:42
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Good album, just good
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
18.01.2013 - 23:36
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I find this album profoundly boring.
19.01.2013 - 14:10
Rating: 8
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Guest on 18.01.2013 at 23:36

I find this album profoundly boring.

Oh well, I suppose that's okay then. I think it's a pretty good album. Certainly doesn't bore me.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
19.01.2013 - 14:15
Zombie94
"somethingsomething south of HEAVVVEEEEEEEENNNNNNNN!!!"

Awesome

Fans of death metal should check out Decapitated's cover of Mandatory Suicide
25.03.2013 - 20:15
Illog1cal
Account deleted
I think Hell Awaits is the cream of the crop for Slayer but I would put this album second best.
31.03.2013 - 13:30
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Guest on 25.03.2013 at 20:15

I think Hell Awaits is the cream of the crop for Slayer but I would put this album second best.

For me, "Hell Awaits" and "South Of Heaven" are the two best Slayer albums.
06.04.2013 - 17:55
Rating: 9
Favourite slayer album next to show no mercy
07.07.2013 - 02:12
belphegor666
Always when i am with my dad in the car we are listening to this album headbanging and singing the lyrics without givin' a fuck what's goin on around us and always in Volume 100...On And On South Of Heaveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen ...
Best Slayer album ever...
08.07.2013 - 06:01
UPDIRNS
This is Slayer's third best album behind Seasons and Reign but not by a lot. It's awesome all the way through. After Seasons when Dave left they had some weaker albums until GHUA (Bostaph is a monster) and then Christ Illusion and WPB were both solid to great albums.
18.02.2014 - 18:01
pkillerjp
This is peak Slayer, and quite a step up from the humorously over rated Reign in Blood album. This is where they figured out you have to build up the thrashers with melodic parts and throw in mid paced songs to create atmosphere. This album is more influenced by 80s Metallica than most Slayer die hards are willing to admit, and flourishes because of the fact. They would build on this a bit in their next album and then totally abandon it later in their career. The Priest cover is ballsy and they pull it off, instead of trying to imitate Halford and Priest (which is impossible) they make it sound like a Slayer song, even the lyrics fit Slayer's image at the time. South of Heaven undoubtedly has Slayer's most classic and great obscure tracks to be found in it. Simply a great album.
25.08.2014 - 20:28
slaytanic_
Fuckin' great album
26.04.2015 - 06:12
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Worst Slayer album from the 80's.
----
26.08.2015 - 21:21
Vikcen
Metálico
Better than Reign In Blood and Seasons In The Abyss
08.11.2015 - 22:07
Maco
Pvt Funderground
I'm so stupid for thinking this was their worst from that decade.
----
14.02.2016 - 01:24
Hellcult
Nearly 30 years since it was released and still one of the best trash metal albums of all time!
----
And I see the blade fall down upon the head of lord in heaven
And Darkness falls upon the end of history
While I drink the milk of the Black Goddess and cry over the mankind

Black Moses is my name...
16.04.2016 - 22:50
Lord_Regnier
Great album. Only problem is vocals here and there.

South Of Heaven : Fine

Silent Scream : Fine

Live Undead : A bit weak in the verses but still fine. Song would be better with better vocals.

Behind The Crooked Cross : Weak in general. Not enough to spoil the song but close.

Mandatory Suicide : Fine.

Ghosts Of War : Fine.

Read Between The Lies : Fine

Cleanse The Soul : Fine

Dissident Aggressor : Weak, lame and whiny. Worst song on the album vocally and musically. Not surprising as
it is in fact a cover.

Spill The Blood : Same problems as "Dissident Aggressor". Song is only slightly better.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
17.04.2016 - 09:06
Rating: 8
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Lord_Regnier on 16.04.2016 at 22:50

Dissident Aggressor : Weak, lame and whiny. Worst song on the album vocally and musically. Not surprising as
it is in fact a cover.

Original by Priest is a great song. This cover is okay but much prefer the original.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
17.04.2016 - 09:23
Lord_Regnier
Written by Ace Frawley on 17.04.2016 at 09:06

Written by Lord_Regnier on 16.04.2016 at 22:50

it is in fact a cover.

Original by Priest is a great song. This cover is okay but much prefer the original.

I meant that the VOCALS are weak, lame and whiny, not the song. And when I said that it's the worst song on the album musically, I'm talking only about Slayer's version compared to other songs on "South Of Heaven". I don't remember the original.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
04.01.2017 - 00:21
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Maybe best production so far but I hade a feeling all songs had a same riff, just different lyrics
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 29306 | This month: 84