08. The Lines In My Hand
09. Folklore
10. Marrow Of The Earth
11. Pyre [DVD bonus]
12. Face In The Snow [DVD bonus]

The Biggest Surprise Of 2011
Featured in "Getting Into: Opeth"

Additional info
Written and produced by Mikael Åkerfeldt.
Mixed by Steven Wilson and Mikael Åkerfeldt.
Engineered by Jens Borgen.
Mastered by Peter Mew at Abbey Road Studios.

"Slither" is a tribute to Ronnie James Dio.

Artwork by Travis Smith.

DVD contains a 5.1 mix of entire album, a "making of" documentary, and a card to download the bonus tracks Pyre and Face In The Snow.

Staff review by
Dream Taster
Rating:
The general consensus when a great band dares to move away from their original Death Metal sound is usually not positive. However Opeth have done it before masterfully with Damnation in 2003. They are back at it with one of the year's most anticipated albums, Heritage.

Cutting to the chase: Compared to their previous releases, Heritage lacks character. Despite the song structures being very progressive rock and the vocals being crazy good, the absence of catchy guitar riffs or memorable growls is a downer. One can positively recognize Opeth as the artist, especially since a lot of the songs borrow tidbits straight from the Ghost Reveries period. Certainly they manage to perpetuate a dark atmosphere throughout the album, but the mellowness of the whole thing is borderline irritating to someone expecting their trademark sound. I know we have been forewarned by Mikael Åkerfeldt himself about this being a throwback kind of release. Still, I believe this would be either catchier or more aggressive. Nevertheless the album does feature good moments, mostly from the jazz-infused portions of the songs.

Read more ››
published 20.09.2011 | Comments (134)

Guest review by
SauradipGhosh
Rating:
Heritage poses more questions than answers. Have Opeth reached a creative cul-de-sac? Have they chucked their "Extreme Progressive Death Metal" for good? Have they finally shed their "Underground Garage Band" (I am quoting Akerfeldt from an earlier interview) and have ventured out into the Pantheon of the "mainstream" Gods from their hallowed underground temple so frequented by hordes of reverent worshipers?

Read more ››
published 29.05.2012 | Comments (32)

Found in 84 lists
Top lists

Comments page 13 / 18

Comments: 520   Visited by: 3047 users
01.10.2011 - 03:10
Hammer Pie

Written by dr.death on 01.10.2011 at 02:06

I love it on the DVD where Mikael Åkerfeldt just says quite clearly, "if people don't like it, fuck 'em cause this is what we're doing". Sums it up. Who gives a shit if a bunch of 12 year olds don't like it. Do whatever makes you happy and screw the armchair critics who know fuckall about music.

Aww, don't be upset.
01.10.2011 - 03:41
Rating: 10
dr.death
ponderer again
I so wanted to write an honest, from the heart review of Enslaved's last full-length turd, but ponderer already beat me to it
----
hai guys. i'm ponderer. back again. i just cannot quit this site. how pathetic am i?
01.10.2011 - 05:52
Rating: 7
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by dr.death on 01.10.2011 at 03:41

I so wanted to write an honest, from the heart review of Enslaved's last full-length turd, but ponderer already beat me to it

ponderer was quite the winner. he was a whiny racist little bitch who got his panties in a wad because people didn't like him ("because I'm old!"), then whined to mods demanding he be banned. then after demanding to be banned, "i'll gladly fuck off and go somewhere else" was his quote, and having his wish granted, the pathetic little bitch then started creating alternate accounts to come back. the saddest part is he was so painfully obvious each time.

hopefully he'll get knifed and bleed to death in some slum alley in Brazil. and if justice is served, by a make up wearing fan of european metal.

40 going on 14.

you guys would make a great couple.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
02.10.2011 - 20:02
Night Sight

I like this album.like most of opeth albums
i feel the dark,haxprocess,slither are my personal favorites
----
Alone in birth
Alone in the darkness
Alone in death
Alone in the daylight
02.10.2011 - 21:06
AyΣm
Abyssal Zebra
Written by Opethshed on 30.09.2011 at 20:13

Well.......frankly,this album is hard to understand, hard to get in touch, and easy to be tired with....

When The Devil's Orchard leaked out, I wondered whether all songs in heritage could be amazing like this.

But unfortunately, my wish doesn't work.........

+1

The Devil's Orchard is a masterpiece, when I heard it some days before the album was released, I had a great feeling about what will be added in Opeth's discography! Honestly, the album has some great ideas, but really lacks some growls, powerfull guitars, and just can't be compared to Damnation if you're talking about "quiet" album... I'm a little bit upset, now I'm curious to see what they'll do in their gigs... I'll know in november in Montpellier...
04.10.2011 - 10:53
Rating: 8
BloodTears
ANA-thema
It's definitely a good album. There is a lot of things I like in Heritage like "Haxprocess", "I Feel The Dark", "Famine" and "The Lines In My Hand" but there are also things I dislike, naturally, like "Slither" and some parts of certain songs. But I feel I still have a lot to discover in this album.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
04.10.2011 - 17:19
Rating: 6
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by BitterCOld on 01.10.2011 at 05:52

ponderer was quite the winner. he was a whiny racist little bitch who got his panties in a wad because people didn't like him ("because I'm old!"), then whined to mods demanding he be banned. then after demanding to be banned, "i'll gladly fuck off and go somewhere else" was his quote, and having his wish granted, the pathetic little bitch then started creating alternate accounts to come back. the saddest part is he was so painfully obvious each time.

hopefully he'll get knifed and bleed to death in some slum alley in Brazil. and if justice is served, by a make up wearing fan of european metal.

40 going on 14.

you guys would make a great couple.

Craig, don't fall for it. Ponderer is so close to convincing you that it's not him!
06.10.2011 - 22:12
Andresopeth

Written by BloodTears on 04.10.2011 at 10:53

but there are also things I dislike, naturally, like "Slither"

Seems that anyone likes "Slither", seems i'm the only one, am i that wrong? jejeje
06.10.2011 - 22:14
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Andresopeth on 06.10.2011 at 22:12

Seems that anyone likes "Slither", seems i'm the only one, am i that wrong? jejeje

I think the problem is that Slither sounds way too much like very early Deep Purple.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.10.2011 - 22:32
BloodTears
ANA-thema

I said I disliked "Slither". It's the worst song on the album for me.

So I'm with you on that one.
----

My Instagram
06.10.2011 - 23:38
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth

It's definitely a good album. There is a lot of things I like in Heritage like "Haxprocess", "I Feel The Dark", "Famine" and "The Lines In My Hand" but there are also things I dislike, naturally, like "Slither" and some parts of certain songs. But I feel I still have a lot to discover in this album.

I have not listened to any album more carefully than to "Heritage." Partially because I got the Limited Edition and had not listened to it until it arrived and partially because it's a sort "quiet" album with lots of subtleties that need your undivided attention, so I am pretty sure lots of stuff will show up as you listen more and more to it. It's quite a grower, too, and, after all, a great album. I still need to listen more to it to fully digest it.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
07.10.2011 - 11:03
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by K✞ulu on 06.10.2011 at 23:38

I have not listened to any album more carefully than to "Heritage." Partially because I got the Limited Edition and had not listened to it until it arrived and partially because it's a sort "quiet" album with lots of subtleties that need your undivided attention, so I am pretty sure lots of stuff will show up as you listen more and more to it. It's quite a grower, too, and, after all, a great album. I still need to listen more to it to fully digest it.

I get you

I got the Collector's Edition. I think they should have added up the bonus tracks on the CD, instead of us having to put the DVD to listen to it. I would easily replace "Slither" for "Pyre" on the album.
----

My Instagram
07.10.2011 - 11:10
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by BloodTears on 07.10.2011 at 11:03

Written by K✞ulu on 06.10.2011 at 23:38

I get you

I got the Collector's Edition. I think they should have added up the bonus tracks on the CD, instead of us having to put the DVD to listen to it. I would easily replace "Slither" for "Pyre" on the album.

Agree. I have listened to the bonus tracks only one. By the way, I used to really not like "Slither," but now I think I am fine with it. The outro is amazing on that song although maybe not very suitable.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
07.10.2011 - 14:53
Andresopeth

Written by BloodTears on 06.10.2011 at 22:32

Maybe you misunderstand me, i like the song, that's why i said: "Seems i'm the only one", for me is very hard to pick the "worst" song in each Opeth album (if such thing exists), so i guess this is the same case, maybe the song which i enjoy the less is Häxprocess, but i repeat, i think is a great song, Opeth's albums tend to be very solid.
07.10.2011 - 14:58
Andresopeth

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.10.2011 at 22:14

I think the problem is that Slither sounds way too much like very early Deep Purple.

Well, if i'd had a band in which having a song that sounds way too much like very early Deep Purple is a problem i would consider myself happy hehehe
07.10.2011 - 14:59
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Andresopeth on 07.10.2011 at 14:53

Written by BloodTears on 06.10.2011 at 22:32

Maybe you misunderstand me, i like the song, that's why i said: "Seems i'm the only one", for me is very hard to pick the "worst" song in each Opeth album (if such thing exists), so i guess this is the same case, maybe the song which i enjoy the less is Häxprocess, but i repeat, i think is a great song, Opeth's albums tend to be very solid.

Oh lol I thought you were thinking I liked the song. Nevermind, the brain is crazy.

So, what do you like about the song "Slither"? "Haxprocess" is one of my favourite songs of the album Opinions do vary a lot.
----

My Instagram
07.10.2011 - 17:11
Andresopeth

It reminds me old school rock, like Deep Purple, and it is with "The Lines In My Hand" the song with more enrgy in the album, i like a lot the prelude to the guitar solo.

"Häxprocess" is very good, but for me the first minuts are very messi, beyond that is amazing, but still my least favourite in the album, the favorite still being a mistery: "Floklore", "The Devil's Orchard", "Famine" and "I Feel The Dark" are very solid songs!
07.10.2011 - 17:41
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Andresopeth on 07.10.2011 at 17:11

It reminds me old school rock, like Deep Purple

I'm glad i'm not the only one to think so, very reminiscent of their late 60's-early 70's material. A major reason why I like the album so much I guess.
07.10.2011 - 20:55
Prometheus

Written by dr.death on 30.09.2011 at 18:24

Written by EpicMayhem on 30.09.2011 at 17:36

I wonder is this will be one of those albums everyone doesn't like at first but in a couple years will be a masterpiece...

Of course. The initial reactions are worthless. The only people bitching are the ones that don't get it. They probably think bands like Gorgoroth and Enslaved are cool too even though neither one of them retains any musical merit whatsoever.

I don't think giving this a 7 or 8 when compared to Ghost Reveries or Deliverance is unjustified at all if you don't like the more progressive side of Opeth, but dropping 2's and 3's because you are butthurt is retarded.

agreed this album is good after all
07.10.2011 - 20:56
Prometheus

Written by Troy Killjoy on 30.09.2011 at 05:33

Written by BitterCOld on 30.09.2011 at 05:28
As a warning, the bar for fanboi opeth reviews is set mighty high.

Opeth > Mozart

i think they're getting into jazz music
08.10.2011 - 10:20
gopherhawk2@gmail.co

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 25.09.2011 at 22:03

Written by gopherhawk2@gmail.co on 25.09.2011 at 21:51

I just hope when they come to the Twin Cities with Katatonia that they limit the new stuff in their set. saw them in Omaha for the Watershed tour and half the set was Watershed. 8O

I read in the review thread that they are playing a lot of stuff from this album or something. :/ Don't quote me on that though.

Played half of Heritage. No growl songs. Not very enjoyable.
----
Follow your heart, not trends.
08.10.2011 - 13:29
Panterica

This album caught me off-guard: I didn't see that big change coming, therefore I have mixed feelings about it. Some of the songs worked for me from the first listen and some didn't. I need to give the album a few more listens before I make my mind about it.
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/
10.10.2011 - 18:25
Death_95

Heritage and Marrow Of The Earth are a tribute to which album ? I don't remember its name..
Mike said it in an interview.
12.10.2011 - 00:22
Czerny Reiter

Somewhere in Brazil, a jungle is missing its troll...

Also:

Written by BitterCOld on 01.10.2011 at 05:52

Ji-zam, Bitter, "Your favourite band sucks!" much?

On-topic: haven't digested it yet. Calm albums take me the longest. I do know that it sits somewhere between high 7s and low 8s. Being a fanboy, I want to resist the impulse to just round it up and call it a day.
13.10.2011 - 10:12
Entropic Silence

Well, thus far this is the only Opeth album that I've managed first sitting or actually enjoyed the whole way through, so like it. I mean I really like it. The Lines in My Hand and Folklore are fantastic. I think it'll slip nicely into their discography at a solid 2nd or third, cuddling up to Damnation and Still Life. At first listen I have a feeling that's where it will end up. Man that DVD validation thing is average I really hope the bonus tracks are worth the effort.
----
VICTORY!!!!! (They love it in France)
14.10.2011 - 04:02
Grody2themax

You can't really look at this album the same way you would a typical death/thrash/black or typical Opeth album even or else you won't be happy. I think a lot of liking this record or not has to do with how limited or vast your musical tastes range. If you never go outside the box of typical extreme metal, then you're probably not gonna like this because the 70's prog rock influence outweighs the metal influence a lot. Not to say its a complete rip off of 70's prog rock though. Its a solid addition to that whole sort of genre.

But, Opeth's more death metal stuff is original as hell, so even though this is an evolution of their sound and it can be more complex at times, it could also be seen as a step back in originality. Whatever the band wants to do is cool with me though, because doing what they want has always been an important factor in their ingenuity. We'll see what they do next record.
14.10.2011 - 04:12
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Grody2themax on 14.10.2011 at 04:02
I think a lot of liking this record or not has to do with how limited or vast your musical tastes range.

I think that's a presumptuous thing to say. Don't get me wrong, I know I don't like this album simply because I don't like prog rock or prog metal, but that doesn't have anything to do with me not having a wide-ranging musical taste or my inability to step out of my extreme metal comfort zone.

I'm not attacking you or anything, but this kind of statement is what makes people like me think proggers assume they belong to some select club for the advanced intellectuals of our society simply based on their preference in music.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
14.10.2011 - 08:18
Grody2themax

Written by Troy Killjoy on 14.10.2011 at 04:12

Written by Grody2themax on 14.10.2011 at 04:02
I think a lot of liking this record or not has to do with how limited or vast your musical tastes range.

I think that's a presumptuous thing to say. Don't get me wrong, I know I don't like this album simply because I don't like prog rock or prog metal, but that doesn't have anything to do with me not having a wide-ranging musical taste or my inability to step out of my extreme metal comfort zone.

I'm not attacking you or anything, but this kind of statement is what makes people like me think proggers assume they belong to some select club for the advanced intellectuals of our society simply based on their preference in music.

I didn't mean for it to sound like I think people who have a more limited taste in music are afraid to step out of their comfort zone. Its just that if you're tastes subscribe primarily to metal or maybe everything but prog, then you're obviously not going to like this one because it is much less metal than it is prog. I don't mean to sound pretentious either. Who am I to assume my own intelligence based on what kind of music I listen to, or assume you're intelligence based on your musical tastes? Its funny because while I was writing what you quoted, I was trying to make it sound un-critical of other people's tastes.

I guess a lot of proggers could come off as pretentious though. Since its generally accepted that jazz and classical is more complicated than rock you get people who say they listen to it regardless of if they're genuinely attracted to it because of the superior image they think it creates for themselves. Bottom line though, if you're feeling the music, it doesn't really matter how complicated or progressive it is.
14.10.2011 - 08:26
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Grody2themax on 14.10.2011 at 08:18

That's exactly why I wanted to point out that I wasn't attacking you with my comment. It didn't seem like you had the attitude of someone pretentious, I just recognized some of the things you said from conversations I've had with proggers who do consider themselves better because of their musical tastes and wanted to make sure I represented those who don't hate on this album simply because they don't understand the complexity of such a genre.

Either way, I'm not a big fan of the band regardless, so it doesn't matter to me what people have to say about this album or the band itself. I think compared to other prog rock albums from the '70s it seems to stand up rather well. If even half of Opeth's fanbase agree with that assertion then I'd say the band members should consider Heritage a huge success.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
14.10.2011 - 18:58
Worst album of all time

Hits total: 82256 | This month: 122