05. Prismal Dawn
06. Celestial Spheres
07. Velocity [feat. Morean]
08. A Transcendental Serenade
09. Aevum
10. Concerto [Cacophony cover] [deluxe edition bonus]

Top 20 albums of 2011: 11

Additional info
This album is based on "On Nature's Connection to the Spirit World" by Friedrich Schelling.

Guest solo on "Euclidean Elements" by Tommy Talamanca (Sadist).
Guest solo on "Velocity" by Morean (Dark Fortress).

Recorded, mixed and mastered by V. Santura and Obscura between June and October 2010 at Woodshed Studios, Landshut, Germany.
Produced by Obscura and V. Santura.
Artwork and design by Orion Landau.
Band photography by Christian Weiss (www.weisschristian.com)

Guest review by
Mattybu
Rating:
Omnivium is the latest offering from technical death metal quartet Obscura, and while I admittedly am not extremely familiar with many bands in this genre, it's safe to say that this album is quite an impressive showcase of talent as well as a listenable and well put-together piece of music.

The album starts off with a very strong track, "Septuagint". The acoustic intro indicates that some attention is being paid to creating atmosphere, which is a good sign. It then seamlessly moves to an electric riff similar to the acoustic intro and then the technical insanity begins. The riffage has a good melody to it and a very fast speed, the drums are being pounded at lightning speed and the bass adds just another layer of depth to the music. Yet within the speed and intricacy of the music, it isn't too hard to follow and it all flows very nicely. The performances on the whole album are very impressive, and while there is often pure showcases of talent, the songs have coherent structure most of the time and it isn't just showing off. The guitar solos on songs like "Septuagint" and "Velocity" are simply amazing, and the technique being used is not easy or simple stuff. Jeroen Paul Thesseling's bass is great, and really adds depth and interest to almost every track. Hannes Grossman lays down super fast beats as the backdrop to the chaos at most times, although, there are slower parts in many of the songs. This was refreshing at times, and the album didn't just suffocate you from start to finish. The album found a good balance between showing off too much and a structured piece of music because there was a lot of pure talent in the spotlight but it didn't disrupt the progression of the songs.

Read more ››
published 25.07.2011 | Comments (10)

Found in 80 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 5

Comments: 140   Visited by: 1710 users
29.03.2011 - 02:53
Rating: 10
The Voyager
The Table
Well, I've listened to this several times, at least fifteen, possibly more. And I'm still floored by it. The evolution from Cosmogenesis to this is really quite astounding. This is a much more mature album, and it's really refreshing to see a technical death metal band capable of actually utilizing proper song structures and writing catchy melodies. Honestly, I would put this album probably in the top twenty albums I've ever heard. It's just that good to me. If the MS system went to an 11, this would get one from me.
30.03.2011 - 01:09
Daydream Nation
Account deleted
^ That's a lot of praise....
30.03.2011 - 02:36
The Voyager
The Table
Written by Guest on 30.03.2011 at 01:09

^ That's a lot of praise....

Indeed. It is truly how I feel about it, I'm not exaggerating at all. This was probably my second most anticipated album of the year, and they didn't disappoint me at all. I truly think that what they've done here is quite amazing.
30.03.2011 - 07:39
Rating: 8
Crème fraiche

Written by Deadmeat on 25.03.2011 at 11:48

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.03.2011 at 07:35

Written by Deadmeat on 24.03.2011 at 15:01

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.03.2011 at 13:54

Written by Deadmeat on 24.03.2011 at 13:53

Written by Tatras on 23.03.2011 at 13:27

Very weak album as i thought it would be. 6/10 for skills.

is it really that awful? why? you think cosmogenesis was much better?

I think he only likes the first, more brutal less refined, one

i am sure about that. i am just curious of someone saying his opinion on the album based in facts. do you have an opinion???

If you like Cosmogenesis you will love the new one.

i like this comment so i am waiting for it to be done!

I gave Omnivium a couple spins, and I like it a lot more than their previous one. It doesn't sound as pretentious.
30.03.2011 - 07:41
Crème fraiche

Written by The Voyager on 29.03.2011 at 02:53

Well, I've listened to this several times, at least fifteen, possibly more. And I'm still floored by it. The evolution from Cosmogenesis to this is really quite astounding. This is a much more mature album, and it's really refreshing to see a technical death metal band capable of actually utilizing proper song structures and writing catchy melodies. Honestly, I would put this album probably in the top twenty albums I've ever heard. It's just that good to me. If the MS system went to an 11, this would get one from me.

You nailed it. I'm glad they toned down the "br00talness". There's some real kick-ass catchy melodies, as well as techy crazyness!
30.03.2011 - 19:13
Rating: 9
arj

I like it.
31.03.2011 - 16:39
3rdWorldFuckface
Account deleted
Written by Crème fraiche on 30.03.2011 at 07:41

You nailed it. I'm glad they toned down the "br00talness". There's some real kick-ass catchy melodies, as well as techy crazyness!

Ya.......I am happy that haven't tried to outdo themselves in a traditional-technical-death-metal-way and tried to produce a more mature and solid album.
01.04.2011 - 04:03
MeloDeathViking

Just got this album about 20 minutes ago. Only have heard the first two songs, but so far I am not disappointed. Exactly what I hoped for in a follow up to Cosmogenesis
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
01.04.2011 - 09:30
Rating: 6
Assassiyoun

They sound more and more like Necrophagist...I mean that they are on the verge of wankery here. For someone who enjoys prog it is odd for me to say that this album is too proggy. The vocals are a total letdown, they don't fit the more melodic sound here, even though the clean ones aren't so bad. I have the impression of listening to some extreme version of Dream Theater, sometimes they try to show off too much. The melodies sound artificial and most of the songs are getting nowhere after a while. They need to get back to a more "brutal" sound. I have listened the album twice and the second listen was already less tedious but still not enjoyable. I will give it another chance and see if it will grow on me. Otherwise, 'tis a shame because Cosmogenesis was very promising.
----
"Wer mit Ungeheuern kämpft, mag zusehen, dass er nicht dabei zum Ungeheuer wird. Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in dich hinein." - Friedrich Nietzsche
03.04.2011 - 19:21
bloodwrage
Pagan Angel
Written by Assassiyoun on 01.04.2011 at 09:30

They sound more and more like Necrophagist...I mean that they are on the verge of wankery here. For someone who enjoys prog it is odd for me to say that this album is too proggy. The vocals are a total letdown, they don't fit the more melodic sound here, even though the clean ones aren't so bad. I have the impression of listening to some extreme version of Dream Theater, sometimes they try to show off too much. The melodies sound artificial and most of the songs are getting nowhere after a while. They need to get back to a more "brutal" sound. I have listened the album twice and the second listen was already less tedious but still not enjoyable. I will give it another chance and see if it will grow on me. Otherwise, 'tis a shame because Cosmogenesis was very promising.

I have listened to Omnivium at least a good 10 times through at this point, and I can honestly not see how someone could compare their sound to Necrophagist. For one thing, the production value is much different. While Omnivium improved upon the mixing of their last album and have added great depth to the music by allowing an audible bass and also allowing listeners to hear two distinct guitar sounds, Necrophagist never really worries about the dynamic between the two guitars or between the guitars and the bass. The only tracks I can think of that do this well are Seven and Only Ash Remains. And this is between two albums. Compare this to Omnivium, where I feel that the bass is present and integral to each track, and I never feel that the guitar harmonies descend into wankery. I also do not feel that it is proggy to the degree that you perceive it as. While they have the acoustic parts at the beginning of Septuagint and Prismal Dawn, I feel that it fits well with the rest of the piece, and even the interlude in Vortex Omnivium leads to a desirable conclusion.
04.04.2011 - 04:11
Winterthrone

This album=pure musical genius. With a better production than Cosmogenesis...wow!
04.04.2011 - 10:39
Assassiyoun

Written by bloodwrage on 03.04.2011 at 19:21

Written by Assassiyoun on 01.04.2011 at 09:30

I have listened to Omnivium at least a good 10 times through at this point, and I can honestly not see how someone could compare their sound to Necrophagist. For one thing, the production value is much different. While Omnivium improved upon the mixing of their last album and have added great depth to the music by allowing an audible bass and also allowing listeners to hear two distinct guitar sounds, Necrophagist never really worries about the dynamic between the two guitars or between the guitars and the bass. The only tracks I can think of that do this well are Seven and Only Ash Remains. And this is between two albums. Compare this to Omnivium, where I feel that the bass is present and integral to each track, and I never feel that the guitar harmonies descend into wankery. I also do not feel that it is proggy to the degree that you perceive it as. While they have the acoustic parts at the beginning of Septuagint and Prismal Dawn, I feel that it fits well with the rest of the piece, and even the interlude in Vortex Omnivium leads to a desirable conclusion.

I didn't say that they sound like Necrophagist but only more and more in the way that I have the impression they are going nowhere with each track. They try to do too much as if they wanted to show how proggy they become and how skillful they are. They don't need to show us that, I/we know they have talent. Technically they are very good but the structures seem very erratic to me, I just can't follow, can't enjoy a part because they immediately switch to another. Also, sometimes they just sound too "melodeath" for my taste. I guess it doesn't help that I don't have much affection for this genre. I don't mind the acoustic parts, on the contrary, they fit pretty well in the music but this is not the case with the singer whom I feel has a too raspy voice. Don't worry I still consider in higher regard Obscura than the pure wankery that is Necrophagist. I just think that they can do a lot better with less. It is just a question of "feeling" I guess. You don't feel there is any wankery but sadly for me I do.
----
"Wer mit Ungeheuern kämpft, mag zusehen, dass er nicht dabei zum Ungeheuer wird. Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in dich hinein." - Friedrich Nietzsche
04.04.2011 - 12:42
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Assassiyoun on 04.04.2011 at 10:39

1. I just can't follow, can't enjoy a part because they immediately switch to another.

2. Also, sometimes they just sound too "melodeath" for my taste.

1. imo this is better than being late obituary for example and repeating a riff 100802 times. most qualitative bands don't play many times their riffs...

2. i also can see that in some riffs.
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
04.04.2011 - 15:30
Rating: 7
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust

1. I just can't follow, can't enjoy a part because they immediately switch to another.

You must really hate Unexpect then... wait, you gave them an 8 for IAFA!

I still haven't made up mind about this album yet, listened to a few songs and it sounds like something I will enjoy.
04.04.2011 - 20:47
Assassiyoun

Written by Introspekrieg on 04.04.2011 at 15:30

You must really hate Unexpect then... wait, you gave them an 8 for IAFA!

I still haven't made up mind about this album yet, listened to a few songs and it sounds like something I will enjoy.

And this is why I gave an 8 (more like 7.5 but I can't give this score...) to Unexpect because otherwise it would be at least a 9.
----
04.04.2011 - 21:01
Assassiyoun

Written by Deadmeat on 04.04.2011 at 12:42

2. Also, sometimes they just sound too "melodeath" for my taste.

1. imo this is better than being late obituary for example and repeating a riff 100802 times. most qualitative bands don't play many times their riffs...

2. i also can see that in some riffs.

I agree that too much repetition is no better than none. What mostly kills this album for me is the focus on the "melodic guitar" and the lack of "brutality". The fact that I find the singer really not good on this album (too raspy for nothing it doesn't fit the melodic sound) doesn't help either. My point is because I don't like the "melodic style" I would NEED a minimum of repetition to actually enjoy those parts.
----
06.04.2011 - 19:31
Rating: 7
ruiportista

Musical structure is very important. Repetition makes the song more solid and with one idea, I like this album, but i don't see nothing of special in it.
09.04.2011 - 11:42
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I can't stop listening to Omnivium. I am addicted!!!

P.S. I think Jason Becker will be happy if he hears the cover.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
09.04.2011 - 13:15
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Good album, but can't beat Cosmogenesis.
----
12.04.2011 - 23:02
MechanisT
Account deleted
Bloody solid album, up one notch from Cosmogenesis. Love them both, but this is their magnum opus to date.
12.04.2011 - 23:45
JaimeLeonel

This is, in my opinion, the best album of 2011, so far.
Highlights: Septuagint, Euclidean Elements, Celestial Spheres, Aevum. All the songs are strong and technical but those ones are my favorites.
----
k
13.04.2011 - 15:31
Tatras

I changed my mind, and find this very good. It needs many, many listanings to enjoy it properly.
13.04.2011 - 17:34
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Tatras on 13.04.2011 at 15:31

I changed my mind, and find this very good. It needs many, many listanings to enjoy it properly.

wow! that's great! i am in the first listenings (2 till today) of the album and i dont have noticed anything amazing on it but i'll surely give it many spins as it is very complex and surely needs more tries!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
17.04.2011 - 09:20
SODOM666

Takes time to sink in but a very solid album. I like how the vocal style changes throughout the album as if they have multiple vocalists \m/ It stays fresh and unique.
----
Wendy's frostys are "black metal."
19.04.2011 - 05:13
wormdrink414

Need to track this down. I really enjoyed their first album on the first few listens but got pretty bored of it after a while. Sounds like the opposite is true with this. I'll probably end up loving it.
21.04.2011 - 13:47
Bigpaul

Written by SODOM666 on 17.04.2011 at 09:20

Takes time to sink in but a very solid album. I like how the vocal style changes throughout the album as if they have multiple vocalists \m/ It stays fresh and unique.

Actually I find that to be the worst aspect of this album, musically this album is a step up from cosmogenisis but the vocals ruin an awful lot of the songs on this one......experimenting with different vocal styles is only worth doing when the singer is versatile enough to do it which, sadly in on this album, is not the case IMO. The cleans vocals with and without digital effects need to be shown the door.......they are just awful.
22.04.2011 - 09:22
SODOM666

Written by Bigpaul on 21.04.2011 at 13:47

Actually I find that to be the worst aspect of this album, musically this album is a step up from cosmogenisis but the vocals ruin an awful lot of the songs on this one......experimenting with different vocal styles is only worth doing when the singer is versatile enough to do it which, sadly in on this album, is not the case IMO. The cleans vocals with and without digital effects need to be shown the door.......they are just awful.

I know where you are coming from cause the first listen it did kind of bother me but it grows on you after awhile..
----
Wendy's frostys are "black metal."
23.04.2011 - 06:26
Daydream Nation
Account deleted
Written by SODOM666 on 22.04.2011 at 09:22

Written by Bigpaul on 21.04.2011 at 13:47

I know where you are coming from cause the first listen it did kind of bother me but it grows on you after awhile..

I'm still annoyed with the vocals and agree with the listener who thought that the vocals would be better if there was a more versatile singer. But that's only the crux of the problem for me: Listen to the first four songs of Cosmogenesis and you'll find these Cosmogenesis regular vocals are just WAY better than Omnivium regular vocals. Something happened, and it is bugging me. The only thing keeping it from a solid 9 out of 10--and repeated listens just reinforce my point. The vocals just don't grow on me. What a shame.
23.04.2011 - 07:25
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I think it's safe to say the only reason I like this album as much as I do is because of the vocals. They have a perfect amount of brutality and comprehensibility. The musicianship is stellar, which is to be expected, but I was pleasantly surprised by the vocals. I don't remember Cosmogenesis sounding quite as brutal.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
23.04.2011 - 10:38
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Troy Killjoy on 23.04.2011 at 07:25

I think it's safe to say the only reason I like this album as much as I do is because of the vocals. They have a perfect amount of brutality and comprehensibility. The musicianship is stellar, which is to be expected, but I was pleasantly surprised by the vocals. I don't remember Cosmogenesis sounding quite as brutal.

i remember cosmogenesis vocals sounding awesomely brutal!
----

Hits total: 36616 | This month: 41