05. Venus Project
06. Dark Creations, Dead Creators
07. Fast Paced Society
08. Outer Isolation

Top 20 albums of 2011: 7

Staff review by
Troy Killjoy
Rating:
Oh shit, the Killjoy is reviewing a thrash metal album. Brace yourselves.

ADD-friendly review: This is not the worst album of the revivalist thrash movement I've come across.

In spite of my pseudo-crusade against anything revivalist, I admittedly found Vektor's Outer Isolation to be a clear step above the rest. Now, I compared these guys to Toxik when I first listened to the over-hyped debut, Black Future. They immediately built success off that sound, a highly technical form of thrash metal that even drew some appreciation from the prog crowd. Yet, people kept telling me how much more they had in common with Voivod, so I took a break and caught up with those old school thrashers.

Read more ››
published 03.12.2011 | Comments (192)

Found in 63 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 5

Comments: 131   Visited by: 1259 users
23.11.2011 - 08:05
Rating: 10
Whoblehwah

Easily the top thrash album of 2011 for me. Vektor is fucking awesome.
23.11.2011 - 13:54
Mikyz

Written by Troy Killjoy on 23.11.2011 at 02:13

Written by tea[m]ster on 23.11.2011 at 01:41
Isn't it obvious early beginning, Voivod, pre-Dimension Hatross is their biggest influence?

I never cared for Voivod, so their sound is unfamiliar to me. All I remember is that they aren't a band I enjoy.

It doesn't look like you enjoy thrash much, I don't blame I don't either but the few bands that I do enjoy share a similar sound with Vektor, and that includes the "futuristic" aspects of Voivod, their logos look alike as well. You might not enjoy it but it nevertheless is the best thrash album this year, it's the only one I listened to actually so I might not be an authority on thrash
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
23.11.2011 - 18:14
Rating: 8
The Voyager
The Table
Written by Troy Killjoy on 22.11.2011 at 00:54

They always reminded me of a poor man's Toxik. Not sure what the big deal is about their sound.

It's a new thrash band, Troy. For some reason, people go crazy over these bands, even though they're just carbon copies of the bands that came before them. I don't understand it either.
23.11.2011 - 18:35
Rating: 10
truenoacero

Written by The Voyager on 23.11.2011 at 18:14

They always reminded me of a poor man's Toxik. Not sure what the big deal is about their sound.

It's a new thrash band, Troy. For some reason, people go crazy over these bands, even though they're just carbon copies of the bands that came before them. I don't understand it either.

You haven't heard this album yet, right? I listen a lot of 80s old school thrash bands and this album is a masterpiece imo.
23.11.2011 - 20:30
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Mikyz on 23.11.2011 at 13:54
It doesn't look like you enjoy thrash much

:s I love thrash - it's one of my favorite genres and one of the first forms of relatively extreme music that got me into metal.

Before the year 2000 anyway. A few bands still released some good material (like Kreator and Sodom) but these revivalist bands just don't do it for me. And while I haven't heard this particular album, I definitely didn't like their debut. I know people say they sound like Voivod, and that's probably true, but since I don't remember much about Voivod because I was too bored with them I find it easier to compare Vektor with Toxik. And Toxik destroys them.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
23.11.2011 - 20:34
pisymbol

Written by The Voyager on 23.11.2011 at 18:14

Well, I'd like to defend bands like Havok and Vektor a bit with the following:

Though I 100% agree with your sentiments regarding originality, I believe there is something to be said about execution. Both Havok and Vektor IMO are masters of creating a great thrash metal record, i.e. their music to me exemplifies what high quality thrash should sound like. This is what I was talking about with Troy earlier: One can admire great craftsmanship even if the end product is not original or groundbreaking.

If you love thrash, I don't know HOW you can not like this year's releases from Vektor, Havok, Revocation, and Warbringer.
24.11.2011 - 06:33
Garth Vader

Written by Troy Killjoy on 22.11.2011 at 22:04

Written by pisymbol on 22.11.2011 at 22:01
See Havok's Time Is Up for another example.

Bad example if you ask me. Time Is Up is one of the most boring thrash releases I've ever heard.

If we asked you, we would never hear anything good though...
----
Now I so clearly see how I have murdered me
24.11.2011 - 06:39
Garth Vader

Written by Garth Vader on 24.11.2011 at 06:33

Written by Troy Killjoy on 22.11.2011 at 22:04

Written by pisymbol on 22.11.2011 at 22:01
See Havok's Time Is Up for another example.

Bad example if you ask me. Time Is Up is one of the most boring thrash releases I've ever heard.

If we asked you, we would never hear anything good though...

as far as thrash goes, I mean. I agree with some of your tastes in other genres. So, Troy.... name a thrash band that is in your opinion, a good band that isn't boring.
----
Now I so clearly see how I have murdered me
24.11.2011 - 07:53
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Garth Vader on 24.11.2011 at 06:39
as far as thrash goes, I mean. I agree with some of your tastes in other genres. So, Troy.... name a thrash band that is in your opinion, a good band that isn't boring.

From the '80s: Slayer, Sodom, Coroner (and '90s), Toxik, Artillery, Dark Angel... Overkill, Testament, and Kreator are good across a few decades with minor slip-ups along the way.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
24.11.2011 - 09:04
Mikyz

Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.11.2011 at 07:53

From the '80s: Slayer, Sodom, Coroner (and '90s), Toxik, Artillery, Dark Angel... Overkill, Testament, and Kreator are good across a few decades with minor slip-ups along the way.

These are the exact bands that are appealing to me in the thrash genre, thrown in Sepultura, Sadus and Voivod. I can understand why Vektor might not be what you're looking for in thrash but it is by no means "bad" just rehashed in a good way.
----
24.11.2011 - 09:08
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Mikyz on 24.11.2011 at 09:04
I can understand why Vektor might not be what you're looking for in thrash but it is by no means "bad" just rehashed in a good way.

I don't think of a lot of modern thrash bands as "bad", I just think of them as "not good". I know people tend to think there isn't a difference but there is for me. Basically, if you break it down with the MS ratings, 7 = good, and that's too high for me to give something like this. 6 is average...and this isn't exactly an average record. It's a lot more black and white than what average implies. 5 is not good. And that's where this sits for me, as with just about every thrash metal release (from modern bands) I hear these days.
----
24.11.2011 - 09:20
Mikyz

Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.11.2011 at 09:08

I don't think of a lot of modern thrash bands as "bad", I just think of them as "not good". I know people tend to think there isn't a difference but there is for me. Basically, if you break it down with the MS ratings, 7 = good, and that's too high for me to give something like this. 6 is average...and this isn't exactly an average record. It's a lot more black and white than what average implies. 5 is not good. And that's where this sits for me, as with just about every thrash metal release (from modern bands) I hear these days.

I'm not going to argue with your logic since it makes a lot of sense, and after all if you don't like it then I can't do anything about it anyway. I more than agree that it doesn't hold a candle to the early thrash bands but when you compare it to its contemporaries it's clearly the better output. What I don't agree in your statement is that every modern band is not good, if all of them are not good I'm pretty sure some of them are better than others, and Vektor is in fact better. But if you choose to treat albums you don't like in the same way... without giving credit where it's due, even if it's just a little bit than I can't really do anything about it, can I?
----
24.11.2011 - 09:25
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Mikyz on 24.11.2011 at 09:20
What I don't agree in your statement is that every modern band is not good, if all of them are not good I'm pretty sure some of them are better than others, and Vektor is in fact better. But if you choose to treat albums you don't like in the same way... without giving credit where it's due, even if it's just a little bit than I can't really do anything about it, can I?

I've just failed to come across a new thrash band I like, that's all. I'm not going in with the predisposition to dislike the music and I do clearly understand the differences between some of the material they present. For instance, Warbringer's more aggressive thrash style, Evil's Metallica cloning, Vektor's speedy technical thrash - all of which have failed to impress me. I don't think it's a matter of giving credit where it's due, I think it's more being subjective and knowing what I like and what I don't.
----
24.11.2011 - 09:32
Mikyz

Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.11.2011 at 09:25

I've just failed to come across a new thrash band I like, that's all. I'm not going in with the predisposition to dislike the music and I do clearly understand the differences between some of the material they present. For instance, Warbringer's more aggressive thrash style, Evil's Metallica cloning, Vektor's speedy technical thrash - all of which have failed to impress me. I don't think it's a matter of giving credit where it's due, I think it's more being subjective and knowing what I like and what I don't.

I guess your right. Still there are few instances in which the musicianship is impressive even if the album in itself is boring, Origin for instance which I don't enjoy in the least or even Necrophagist, but I do give them some credit, that's really all I meant by that comment. But in the end everything is subjective, but for me there is a difference between "I don't like it" and "It's not good", one is subjective the other objective. I don't think they're mutually inclusive.
----
24.11.2011 - 10:16
strade

I can see poor man's Voivod, but Toxik? Vektor sounds absolutely nothing like Toxik to my ears at least. I do agree with your sentiment that pretty much every new thrash album fails to live up to thre classics due to zero originality (besides Hellwitch's Omnipotent Convocation, which I still believe to be a masterpiece). However, I almost can't believe a classic thrash fan couldn't like Voivod. Their sound isn't the same for any more than two albums at a time so they might be worth giving another shot. Personally, I prefer their more stripped down, less noisy releases like Nothingface, Angel Rat and The Outer Limits. But yeah, thrash is pretty much a ghost of its former self.
----
My lo-fi synth project: http://luciddreamer.bandcamp.com
24.11.2011 - 10:23
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I don't know why I'm reminded of Toxik - it's just immediately where my mind goes when I listen to Vektor (although I still haven't bothered to check this particular album out). As for Voivod...I dunno, people tell me I should like Sadus and Sepultura too, but I don't.
----
24.11.2011 - 10:37
strade

Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.11.2011 at 10:23

I don't know why I'm reminded of Toxik - it's just immediately where my mind goes when I listen to Vektor (although I still haven't bothered to check this particular album out). As for Voivod...I dunno, people tell me I should like Sadus and Sepultura too, but I don't.

Whatever works. I definitely love Toxik way more than this band, so no arguments there. In fact, I just listened to World Circus earlier today. That album's a grower, though I still vastly prefer Think This.

Yeah, I never liked Sepultura's early albums (or any of their work) at all, really. It's just dull, personality-free riffing and speed with some of the worst vocals I've ever heard, even for thrash. As for Sadus... I'll get around to checking them out eventually.
----
My lo-fi synth project: http://luciddreamer.bandcamp.com
24.11.2011 - 11:26
Rating: 9
qlacs
"The Quaker"
First time I hear Vektor, but it's really awesome. It reminds me of a blend of Kreator and Voivod. Total love.
----
24.11.2011 - 13:21
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.11.2011 at 09:25

I actually, feel exactly the same way, as I've stated on these boards a few times now. I've never seen the big deal with these "revivalist" thrash bands, as all the ones I've heard have totally failed to impress me. I haven't heard Vektor, so I can't comment on them, but bands like Warbringer, Evile, Bonded By Blood etc just haven't done anything that has excited me. In fact, I find newer albums by the thrash veterans like Sodom, Overkill, Testament and Exodus to be far superior to anything these newer thrash bands are releasing. I've yet to hear anything from a modern thrash band that can touch latter day thrash classics like "Tempo Of The Damned" or "In War, In Pieces"...
24.11.2011 - 17:01
pisymbol

Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.11.2011 at 09:08

Written by Mikyz on 24.11.2011 at 09:04
I can understand why Vektor might not be what you're looking for in thrash but it is by no means "bad" just rehashed in a good way.

One poster's 5 is another poster's 8. Its the way of the Storm.

You either get it or you don't. You don't, no big deal. I read your other reviews of various albums and honestly, other than your definition of good thrash, I like a lot of what you seem to gravitate toward. As I said, you are at least consistent in your thrash (again, meant as a compliment).
24.11.2011 - 20:18
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by pisymbol on 24.11.2011 at 17:01
One poster's 5 is another poster's 8. Its the way of the Storm.
You either get it or you don't. You don't, no big deal. I read your other reviews of various albums and honestly, other than your definition of good thrash, I like a lot of what you seem to gravitate toward. As I said, you are at least consistent in your thrash (again, meant as a compliment).

I agree with the first part (tastes differ) and I appreciate the compliment, but I do have a problem with people saying I don't "get it". Thrash is pretty simple stuff, there isn't much to get. I might be misinterpreting what you meant by that though. Maybe you just meant I don't get it as in I don't "feel it" (which is basically just saying I don't like it) which I can agree with, but it's not a genre I don't understand.
----
24.11.2011 - 20:19
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Angelic Storm on 24.11.2011 at 13:21
In fact, I find newer albums by the thrash veterans like Sodom, Overkill, Testament and Exodus to be far superior to anything these newer thrash bands are releasing.

Likewise. At first I thought I was being a thrash elitist or a snob but then I started listening to the old bands' new releases and I was like...huh, I guess I do like modern thrash, it just so happens that all the modern thrash I like happens to be coming from bands that have been playing since before I was born.
----
24.11.2011 - 21:10
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.11.2011 at 20:19
Likewise. At first I thought I was being a thrash elitist or a snob but then I started listening to the old bands' new releases and I was like...huh, I guess I do like modern thrash, it just so happens that all the modern thrash I like happens to be coming from bands that have been playing since before I was born.

Well, I think the idea of me being considered a thrash "elitist" or "snob" is quite preposterous. The only thrash albums I can think of that I really like which haven't been released by 80's thrash bands are the first couple of albums by The Haunted. Evile, Bonded By Blood, Warbringer etc just seem to play a very generic brand of thrash that I find to be dull and boring. To me, even these days, the veteran bands just seem to do it so much better. There's nothing memorable on these revivalist thrash releases at all to my ears, then I hear something like "Knarrenheinz" and I'm like, THIS is how it should be done! The apprentices are certainly going to have to do much more to show me they are worthy of taking the place of the masters, because right now, they are quite a way off.
24.11.2011 - 21:12
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Angelic Storm on 24.11.2011 at 21:10
The apprentices are certainly going to have to do much more to show me they are worthy of taking the place of the masters, because right now, they are quite a way off.

Well that's just it, they don't have to as they have enough people thinking of them as masters at their craft as it is. So I doubt we'll see any level of improvement from the slew of revivalist bands. Hopefully Overkill, Sodom, etc. decide to never retire, otherwise thrash might very well die out altogether.
----
24.11.2011 - 21:22
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.11.2011 at 21:12
Well that's just it, they don't have to as they have enough people thinking of them as masters at their craft as it is. So I doubt we'll see any level of improvement from the slew of revivalist bands. Hopefully Overkill, Sodom, etc. decide to never retire, otherwise thrash might very well die out altogether.

I have to say, I've been very pleasantly surprised at the quality of many of the veteran thrash bands' releases in recent years. "Tempo Of The Damned" is totally up there with Exodus' strongest albums, "Ironbound" was awesome, especially it's first two tracks which just blew me away, and Sodom have been very consistent since their full come back to thrash. Their last album in particular, being very strong and memorable. I think it is quite ironic that even with this revivalist thrash movement, that it's the old bands that are still at the forefront of the scene, and producing the best albums the genre has to offer in this day and age. The problem with many of these newer thrash bands, is they lack a real identity, a sound that is very identifiably "them", which was a problem with the slew of 10-a-penny generic thrash acts of the 80's.

The early Haunted releases made me very optimistic for the future of the genre as far as younger bands are concerned, but they don't play thrash anymore so... *sighs*
24.11.2011 - 21:24
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Angelic Storm on 24.11.2011 at 21:22
The early Haunted releases made me very optimistic for the future of the genre as far as younger bands are concerned, but they don't play thrash anymore so... *sighs*

Speaking of which, I'll be reviewing The Unseen soon. I'm just getting my Cavalera Conspiracy review proofed and then I'm onto The Haunted.
----
24.11.2011 - 21:35
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.11.2011 at 21:24
Speaking of which, I'll be reviewing The Unseen soon. I'm just getting my Cavalera Conspiracy review proofed and then I'm onto The Haunted.

I myself, have pondered reviewing "Unseen" for a while now, but I don't have much confidence in my review writing abilities these days... What The Haunted had as a thrash band that most of the other modern thrash bands don't, was their own sound. Those touches of Gothenburg melody mixed in with raging thrash riffage gave them their own identity, something that most "revivalist" thrash bands are lacking. Hopefully, like many of the veteran thrash bands who lost their way during the 90's, who are now making some of their best material, so The Haunted will one day return to doing what they do best.
24.11.2011 - 21:40
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Angelic Storm on 24.11.2011 at 21:35
I myself, have pondered reviewing "Unseen" for a while now.

Eff that, you should review this album! You've got a ton of knowledge about thrash and it'd be nice to see someone who isn't completely obsessed with revivalist thrash talk about why this isn't a masterpiece.

Plus I think I remember you wrote a review for...Forbidden? If I remember correctly. I thought the review was very well done to be honest.
----
24.11.2011 - 21:51
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.11.2011 at 21:40
Eff that, you should review this album! You've got a ton of knowledge about thrash and it'd be nice to see someone who isn't completely obsessed with revivalist thrash talk about why this isn't a masterpiece.

Plus I think I remember you wrote a review for...Forbidden? If I remember correctly. I thought the review was very well done to be honest.

Well, the version of my Forbidden review that can be viewed on this site was severely edited and cut by a moderator before it was put up for public view, which I think dented my confidence a lot as far as writing reviews goes...

I do appreciate what you've said though, very much. It's nice to think that you feel I have what it takes to give a good review of the album. So maybe I will consider giving it a go at least... Thanks for the positive words.
24.11.2011 - 21:58
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Please stay on-topic
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Hits total: 30643 | This month: 79