05. Venus Project
06. Dark Creations, Dead Creators
07. Fast Paced Society
08. Outer Isolation

Top 20 albums of 2011: 7

Staff review by
Troy Killjoy
Rating:
Oh shit, the Killjoy is reviewing a thrash metal album. Brace yourselves.

ADD-friendly review: This is not the worst album of the revivalist thrash movement I've come across.

In spite of my pseudo-crusade against anything revivalist, I admittedly found Vektor's Outer Isolation to be a clear step above the rest. Now, I compared these guys to Toxik when I first listened to the over-hyped debut, Black Future. They immediately built success off that sound, a highly technical form of thrash metal that even drew some appreciation from the prog crowd. Yet, people kept telling me how much more they had in common with Voivod, so I took a break and caught up with those old school thrashers.

Read more ››
published 03.12.2011 | Comments (193)

Found in 64 lists
Top lists

Comments page 3 / 5

Comments: 131   Visited by: 1262 users
24.11.2011 - 22:41
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.11.2011 at 21:58

Please stay on-topic

Sorry about that...
24.11.2011 - 22:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Angelic Storm on 24.11.2011 at 22:41

Please stay on-topic

Sorry about that...

It happens from titme to time to the best of us
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.11.2011 - 22:58
JCJen7

Idk about you guys but.....
releases like this, their previous one Black Future, Toxic Holocaust's last two LP's, some Municipal Waste, and Lazarus A.D.'s debut are enough to convince me that these newer thrash bands are pretty darn good. I mean yeah, the "classics" of the genre are better (you know what albums im talkin about), but I prefer most of these new bands to the new stuff by Sodom, Megadeth, Heathen, Overkill, and Helstar. Death Angel's last album was an exception, I freakin love that thing.

Now, to listen to Marcel, I like how there is a lot of variety to this. To a band that has kind become known for ambition, I think they did a good job not to disappoint there. My only negative is it's got so many of those mini 3 second long guitar solos/interludes that it actually changes their style from a kind of grim thrash-with-black-influence to this quite melodic flashy thrash band with black-ish vocals...to my ears anyways.

Otherwise though, really really like this album.
----
This is my sig, respect it. Please.

CHECK THESE OUT
24.11.2011 - 23:57
neonxaos

I say this with respect for your opinions, Troy, but I think this is the first time I have found myself agreeing whole-heartedly with you. While I can certainly see the technical prowess in this release, it hardly merits a #1 spot on this year's Top of 2011 list. I am no expert in the virtues of modern thrash, though. I only recently discovered Helstar and Testament
25.11.2011 - 10:04
Rating: 8
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by Angelic Storm on 24.11.2011 at 22:41
Please stay on-topic
Sorry about that...
I'd also like to see a review of this in your words, if you're keen (and would punctuate 'its' correctly ). I share about half of your taste for thrash, and I very very much enjoyed Vektor's material up to now. I gave a few listens to the two songs provided by the band/label online, and for one reason or another found myself disappointed to a degree... thinking the rest of the album must be up to their IMO brilliant standard if it's still doing so well in the MS ratings. (I'm almost amazed it's still above 9, whether taking those two tracks into consideration or not.) I don't think it's beyond them to put out three incredible albums in a row, or highlight-of-the-year stuff again, I just refuse to blindly buy into the hype. Well, blindly minus eight minutes

Regardless, if you don't choose to hear and write on this album, I'd still be quite happy to read your takes on something else
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
25.11.2011 - 10:28
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Syk on 25.11.2011 at 10:04
I'd also like to see a review of this in your words, if you're keen (and would punctuate 'its' correctly ). I share about half of your taste for thrash, and I very very much enjoyed Vektor's material up to now. I gave a few listens to the two songs provided by the band/label online, and for one reason or another found myself disappointed to a degree... thinking the rest of the album must be up to their IMO brilliant standard if it's still doing so well in the MS ratings. (I'm almost amazed it's still above 9, whether taking those two tracks into consideration or not.) I don't think it's beyond them to put out three incredible albums in a row, or highlight-of-the-year stuff again, I just refuse to blindly buy into the hype. Well, blindly minus eight minutes

Regardless, if you don't choose to hear and write on this album, I'd still be quite happy to read your takes on something else

What? I do punctuate "it's" correctly! My last review was cut quite considerably, but it wasn't edited due to punctuation errors. (at least not that I noticed)

When you say you'd like to see a "review of this" in my words, are you meaning this album? (Vektor's latest) Or "Unseen" by The Haunted? I have never heard Vektor, but I will rectify that soon. Though I've heard other revivalist thrash bands being raved about, then when I've heard them, I've been very disappointed, so I take the hype over them very much with a pinch of salt. At least until I've listened to them.

And thank you.
25.11.2011 - 11:06
Rating: 9
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Angelic Storm on 24.11.2011 at 13:21

I haven't heard Vektor, so I can't comment on them, but bands like Warbringer, Evile, Bonded By Blood etc just haven't done anything that has excited me.

then please, go listen (A LOT) to all the rerecorded songs that this album contains (tetrastructural minds, fast pace society, venus project). go listen to "Echoless Chamber" to "Hunger For Violence" and then come here and comment. this band is really awesome and different...

Vektor has NO SIMILARITIES with those bands you've mentioned... try it for yourself...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
25.11.2011 - 11:07
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by Angelic Storm on 25.11.2011 at 10:28
Oh yeah, sorry, I did mean this one. Like Troy said, it'd be great to have a review of this from someone who isn't madly jumping (or continuing to hang) on the bandwagon. So to speak... hahaha. If you'd rather do The Haunted instead, though, go for it

MS reviews aside, I agreed to some extent about the lack of freshness or outstandingness of the new thrash crop, but I must calmly side with Deadmeat on his last point. They really are something else, in my view... I'm just slightly hesitant to say, keeping in mind your past comments on Morbid Saint and Vio-lence
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
25.11.2011 - 13:32
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Syk on 25.11.2011 at 11:07
Oh yeah, sorry, I did mean this one. Like Troy said, it'd be great to have a review of this from someone who isn't madly jumping (or continuing to hang) on the bandwagon. So to speak... hahaha. If you'd rather do The Haunted instead, though, go for it

MS reviews aside, I agreed to some extent about the lack of freshness or outstandingness of the new thrash crop, but I must calmly side with Deadmeat on his last point. They really are something else, in my view... I'm just slightly hesitant to say, keeping in mind your past comments on Morbid Saint and Vio-lence

I think Troy was meaning "Unseen" when he said that. I can't review the new Vektor album until 3 months have passed since it's release.

Well, once I have listened to Vektor, I will give my verdict on them.
25.11.2011 - 14:56
pisymbol

Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.11.2011 at 20:18

Written by pisymbol on 24.11.2011 at 17:01
One poster's 5 is another poster's 8. Its the way of the Storm.
You either get it or you don't. You don't, no big deal. I read your other reviews of various albums and honestly, other than your definition of good thrash, I like a lot of what you seem to gravitate toward. As I said, you are at least consistent in your thrash (again, meant as a compliment).

I agree with the first part (tastes differ) and I appreciate the compliment, but I do have a problem with people saying I don't "get it". Thrash is pretty simple stuff, there isn't much to get. I might be misinterpreting what you meant by that though. Maybe you just meant I don't get it as in I don't "feel it" (which is basically just saying I don't like it) which I can agree with, but it's not a genre I don't understand.

Correction: You don't seem to enjoy the revivalist thrash bands. What's interesting is I would expect (as you pointed out) that you might like one revivalist style than others, but that's not true either. I think your overall sentiment on all of these releases is what garnered the "Troy, you don't really like thrash" comments. I can empathize a bit with the popular crowd this time! :-)

In any event, I have gone through Outer Isolation now three times and I'm pretty positive I enjoy it more than Black Future (I really need to buy the lossless copy than make do with Spotify).
26.11.2011 - 01:10
JÄY
Metal slave
I'm prolly 5 listens in and so far it's perfect!
It's going to be sad to watch it slowly fall through the rankings.....
26.11.2011 - 04:29
JD
Account deleted
Written by pazuzuovbabel on 21.11.2011 at 10:04

Well done Vektor, it continues the legacy of Black Future.

Well said.

And that's why we are bors.
26.11.2011 - 11:19
Rating: 10
pazuzuovbabel
Pazuzu
Written by Guest on 26.11.2011 at 04:29

And that's why we are bors.

BOR FOR BOR
26.11.2011 - 20:10
elseif

I like it a lot.
26.11.2011 - 20:50
Death To Posers
Hate Thy King
I've been waiting for this one for many moons!
----
The word gen means "illusion" or "apparition." In India, a man who uses conjury is called a genjutsushi ["a master of illusion technique"]. Everything in this world is but a marionette show. Thus we use the word gen.
27.11.2011 - 00:58
eyeofthebeholder

Can anybody give me a link where to get this album from?I'm really interested in thrash metal and I want to check this band
27.11.2011 - 01:07
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by eyeofthebeholder on 27.11.2011 at 00:58
Can anybody give me a link where to get this album from?I'm really interested in thrash metal and I want to check this band

It goes against site policy to solicit for illegal download links, so I'm assuming you were asking for a Youtube video.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
27.11.2011 - 01:10
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Aaaand I caved in and listened to this last night. Admittedly it's much better than most revivalist thrash bands...to the point I wouldn't necessarily label this as revivalist thrash, just contemporary thrash. Decent stuff, probably worth a high 6.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
27.11.2011 - 04:38
NLthrasher

I haven't listened to this album yet but I found there debut album quite outstanding. In their debut they really nice injected some black metal influences in a thrash metal album. What also was nice about there debut was there ability to show emotion and create atmosphere. Especially accelerating universe is quite a top notch song. In my opinion accelerating universe was way better than the last Sodom album which has some good songs like Nothing Counts More Than Blood and God Bless You but sounded overall flat and boring to me. Black Future on the other hand was a pleasure to listen all the way through. Hexen, Savage Messiah and Warbringer also delivered some great albums.
For 80's Thrash bands I think Overkill, Destruction, Kreator and Megadeth are really doing a great job.
27.11.2011 - 14:28
R'Vannith
ghedengi
This things so addictive, it's been on repeat for a few days now and no signs of letting up.
27.11.2011 - 16:13
pisymbol

Written by eyeofthebeholder on 27.11.2011 at 00:58

Its on Spotify and if you search the News section, the entire album is available online here.

EDIT: The CDs (I just bought the bundle) can be found on Heavy Artillery's oniline shop at this location.
27.11.2011 - 23:25
MyNameJeff

what a beast of an album!
28.11.2011 - 10:00
Whoblehwah

How has no one reviewed this yet? Come on Metal Storm, get your shit together and review the best thrash metal album of 2011 already!
28.11.2011 - 12:07
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Whoblehwah on 28.11.2011 at 10:00

How has no one reviewed this yet? Come on Metal Storm, get your shit together and review the best thrash metal album of 2011 already!

it's better without a review. they dont seem to like the band. lol
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
28.11.2011 - 14:06
Fredd
Account deleted
Well, here I am, rating a thrash album 9..
28.11.2011 - 14:23
Angelic Storm
Melodious
The ironic thing is, if this album is given a negative review by a staff member, they will incur a similar wrath that many associate only with mainstream metal fanboys.
28.11.2011 - 19:26
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Angelic Storm on 28.11.2011 at 14:23
if this album is given a negative review by a staff member, they will incur a similar wrath that many associate only with mainstream metal fanboys.

----
29.11.2011 - 00:21
pisymbol

Written by Angelic Storm on 28.11.2011 at 14:23

The ironic thing is, if this album is given a negative review by a staff member, they will incur a similar wrath that many associate only with mainstream metal fanboys.

That's why you have guest reviews.

A bit off topic:

I do think that the rules regarding guest reviews should be relaxed a bit, i.e. If a staff reviews an album, then guest reviews should be reviewed/accepted/rejected at any time afterward. I do not think a multi-week wait should be imposed after a staffer reviews it. I think that would be a nice compromise for all.

Back ON topic:

This album is really cool! :-)
29.11.2011 - 02:42
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by pisymbol on 29.11.2011 at 00:21
I do think that the rules regarding guest reviews should be relaxed a bit, i.e. If a staff reviews an album, then guest reviews should be reviewed/accepted/rejected at any time afterward. I do not think a multi-week wait should be imposed after a staffer reviews it. I think that would be a nice compromise for all.

As far as I'm aware, that is already the way it works. The 3 month rule only applies if a staff member hasn't reviewed it. A guest reviewer is free to make a review any time after a staff member reviews it.
29.11.2011 - 03:49
pisymbol

Written by Angelic Storm on 29.11.2011 at 02:42

Written by pisymbol on 29.11.2011 at 00:21

As far as I'm aware, that is already the way it works. The 3 month rule only applies if a staff member hasn't reviewed it. A guest reviewer is free to make a review any time after a staff member reviews it.

Ah, great!

Hits total: 30678 | This month: 34