The best Doom Metal album of 2011

Line-up
Patrick Walker - guitar, vocals
Christian Leitch - drums, percussion
William Spong - bass, percussion

Staff review by
BitterCOld
Rating:
When last we left Pat Walker he was playing guitar and providing heart-wrenching vocals for Warning on the powerful Watching From A Distance album. That album found itself on many staff "best of the 00's" lists. Then things fell through. Band imploded. Kablooey.

Four years later Pat Walker is back with two new mates, bassist William Spong and drummer Christian Leitch, a new band, 40 Watt Sun, and a new album, The Inside Room.

Read more ››
published 21.04.2011 | Comments (34)

If you have been paying any attention at all, you know that 40 Watt Sun is the reincarnation of the now-defunct Warning (and if you don't even know who Warning is, gtfo). Let me tell you, Patrick Walker once again delivers: the atmosphere is, well, you'll just have to experience for yourself. The mandatory stuff for every self-loathing doom fan.

Thryce's picks | More picks ››

Found in 42 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 88   Visited by: 728 users
04.03.2011 - 10:42
Skøllgrim
Northern
Out of myself in utter anticipation for this album.
04.03.2011 - 15:33
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Same here
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.03.2011 - 17:18
Rating: 9
Slayer666
After listening to it quite a few times, I'm ready to pass judgment (holy shit, that sounded epic).
I think that, while not on the level of Watching From a Distance, it's still one friggin' awesome album. There is much less drama, and that totally "in-yo-face" crushing, wailing atmosphere is much less present. This one is far more subtle than that. Pat's vocals are still awesome, but he barely ever uses them in their full potency, like on Watching. The emotional impact, to me at least, is almost as huge as the one from Watching was. I'll be damned if "Carry Me Home" isn't better than most of songs on it.
Anyway, don't expect the totally dramatic, even over-the-top style that was present on Watching. This time it's about more subtle, dreamy experience. I think I've picked what I'll be voting for in the 2011 MS Awards already.
18.03.2011 - 10:55
Prisoner
Account deleted
It's okay for the first release...have a lot of room for improvement...but yeah, very great debut album!
it's like the Brits got talent in doom genre!

my favorite was : restless
29.03.2011 - 13:52
Rating: 8
BudDa
elite
God, how I missed you, Pat Walker..
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
30.03.2011 - 21:31
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
Awesome release! Carry Me Home is my fav.
05.04.2011 - 08:29
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Almost sounds kinda like Jesu-Warning style doom with Walker's vocals.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
05.04.2011 - 15:24
Deadsoulman
elite
Hey, that's funny, as much as I didn't like the vocals in Warning, here I think Walker sounds really great instead of over the top. The album is very good too, one of my favourites this year, if not the favourite.
05.04.2011 - 15:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by BitterCOld on 05.04.2011 at 08:29

I would say it sounds like R.E.M.-Warning style doom due to Walker's vocals. Funny thing is I love 40 Watt Sun but totally HATE R.E.M.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.04.2011 - 18:53
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.04.2011 at 15:49

Written by BitterCOld on 05.04.2011 at 08:29

I would say it sounds like R.E.M.-Warning style doom due to Walker's vocals. Funny thing is I love 40 Watt Sun but totally HATE R.E.M.

The jesu comparison stems from the fuzzed out guitar sound. I don't hear terribly much REM in it aside from perhaps the fact both vocalists have a whiny voice.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
05.04.2011 - 19:47
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Yeah I agree with Craig here, REM is the last thing that would have sprung to mind but it is very Jesu-esque.

Anyway the more I listen to this the more I like it. I don't see this being topped for doom(ish) record of the year really.
05.04.2011 - 19:53
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 05.04.2011 at 19:47

Yeah I agree with Craig here, REM is the last thing that would have sprung to mind but it is very Jesu-esque.

Anyway the more I listen to this the more I like it. I don't see this being topped for doom(ish) record of the year really.

heard some parts of the upcoming while Heaven we[t album and that one might top it.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.04.2011 - 20:01
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.04.2011 at 19:53

heard some parts of the upcoming while Heaven we[t album and that one might top it.

Myspace track sounds ok but a little power metally and the vocals are a tad cheesy. I'll give the full length a go when it's released though.
05.04.2011 - 20:04
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 05.04.2011 at 20:01

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.04.2011 at 19:53

Myspace track sounds ok but a little power metally and the vocals are a tad cheesy. I'll give the full length a go when it's released though.

the myspace track is the worst. Vocals are cheesy but then again so are Pat's
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.04.2011 - 20:08
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Quote:
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.04.2011 at 20:04

the myspace track is the worst. Vocals are cheesy but then again so are Pat's

I'd say dramatic but not cheesy. And they're far more unique.

Just randomly stumbled on a band called 40 Watt Moon. No relation, obivously
05.04.2011 - 20:09
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 05.04.2011 at 20:08

what do they sound like?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.04.2011 - 20:10
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.04.2011 at 20:09

Written by Guest on 05.04.2011 at 20:08

what do they sound like?

Pop-rock or something, nothing special. They only have 23 last.fm listeners anyway so obviously not a big name band.
05.04.2011 - 20:30
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by Deadsoulman on 05.04.2011 at 15:24

Hey, that's funny, as much as I didn't like the vocals in Warning, here I think Walker sounds really great instead of over the top. The album is very good too, one of my favourites this year, if not the favourite.

i liked the dramatics of WFAD, but can definitely see where you are coming from. he reigned in his vocals a tad, and the instrumentation is more fuzzy, far less stark, which 'fills in more sonic space' around the vocals. the end result is he still is impassioned, but it's not like up to 11 on the album.

-----

also agree with Joe in regards to WHW. last album too sugary for me. Flower Power Doom? Was nice, but the overall sound/approach/tone just lacked the emotion that makes me like doom.
----

08.04.2011 - 13:28
Starchild
Very good album, i give it 8 instead of 9 just because i see it a bit repetitive, and i feel they got a lot of room for improvement for the future releases...but anyway really beautiful jesu/warning style doom
25.04.2011 - 01:38
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Okay so I finally got around to listening to this.

And I must say, it's entirely forgettable. The songs failed to grab my attention at all.The only thing I remember is the Stipe-esque vocals everyone's been talking about, and they weren't even that good. It's a pretty average doom record by my account.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
28.04.2011 - 18:42
InnerSelf
proofread free
Three days of nothing but The Inside Room
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
28.04.2011 - 21:41
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Is there another R.E.M. with another Mike Stipe that I'm not aware of because Walker sounds about as much like him as my mother does, and she's dead. Completely different deliveries of style. The Jesu comparisons are quite accurate though, I didn't realise until someone mentioned it. Not that I listen to much Jesu </tangent>
17.06.2011 - 17:12
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Guest on 28.04.2011 at 21:41

Is there another R.E.M. with another Mike Stipe that I'm not aware of because Walker sounds about as much like him as my mother does, and she's dead. Completely different deliveries of style. The Jesu comparisons are quite accurate though, I didn't realise until someone mentioned it. Not that I listen to much Jesu </tangent>

A friend of mine told me she heard some Alice In Chains on it... She meant the vocals and I went like "...wat?"
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
06.09.2011 - 20:26
JD
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 17.06.2011 at 17:12

A friend of mine told me she heard some Alice In Chains on it... She meant the vocals and I went like "...wat?"

What! I don't even.. lol

I really like this album.
26.09.2011 - 04:45
Evil Chip
I haven't hear anything that can top The inside room this year. Still waiting.
07.01.2012 - 21:56
Rating: 5
Fade To Black
Just not my cup of tea.
11.01.2012 - 16:42
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
A wonderful album, but, as it was already mentioned before, a bit too repetitive. And I like Patrick Walker's vocal work on this album.
Anyway... Now I can say that one hand is enough to count all the doom metal albums released last year that I enjoyed, and this is one of them.
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"
28.01.2012 - 13:08
Draugen
My thoughts about this album are mixed. On one hand it is so full of emotion with heartrending lyrics and at times good vocal passages. On the other hand, the vocals get a bit too "whiny" for my taste to fully enjoy them. But my main issue is that the album is way too monotonous with the tracks blending in with one another. Sure, it is doom metal after all and I am not expecting loads of variation but in this case I think that it would not have hurt with a little more of that.
02.02.2012 - 06:16
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
This album gives me mixed feelings. On one hand you have solid crushing doom riffs with an awesome, almost dystopian distortion to them which allow the songs to be hypnotizing in their crushing despair. The lenth only helps them (mostly) and makes the acoustic endings in Restless and Open My Eyes all the more beautiful.
Unfortunately when a band pulls this kind of thing off, they better as hell not flop and halfway through the album, they do with Between Times. The riff is just boring and the vocals sound more like a drunkard whining too loudly at a bar than the previous two showcases of vocals reflecting a man longing and focusing on his anguished thoughts, no matter how horrible or admittedly addicting they are. This song has a completely different sound to it and although this does show a different dynamic to the bands sound and mood, its too different, mediocre, and sadly jarring from the previous tracks that it knocked me right out of my doom coma.
Things kind of pick back up for the next track, but I'm not sure if its me burning out or Between Times knocked me from being fully intranced but the song kind of gets dull at about the 7 minute mark. Unfortunately the album finishes off rather weakly on This Alone, which seems to suffer from the same symptoms that Between Times had. 7.5
03.02.2012 - 01:24
@gent_-_orange
To me it sounds like WFAD part 2, Which is good thing considering I like that album a lot, Curse me for only checking this out now. It seems that the vocals are a real love it or hate it affair, I personally love them and think they fit well with the music, But I can see why people are put off.

Hits total: 20124 | This month: 31