04. This Is The Life
05. Bridges In The Sky
06. Outcry
07. Far From Heaven
08. Breaking All Illusions
09. Beneath The Surface

Additional info
Notes:

* The limited Deluxe Collector's Edition of A Dramatic Turn of Events includes a second disc with instrumentals of all the tracks.
* "Bridges in the Sky" was originally titled "The Shaman's Trance".
* A Dramatic Turn of Events is the first Dream Theater album to feature lyrics by bassist John Myung since "Fatal Tragedy" from Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory.
* Paul Northfield is credited for the spoken words in "Breaking All Illusions".

Staff review by
Daniell
Rating:
It seems that something like that must have happened eventually. Mike Portnoy is gone, and A Dramatic Turn of Events is the first occasion for the metal community to find out how Dream Theater fares without their co-founder and co-leader. Let me tell you straight away that it sucks. It sucks much more than I feared it would having heard the first song off the album, whose name I won't even bother to mention. Why would I want to waste time typing names of crappy songs?

Read more ››
published 21.09.2011 | Comments (186)

Staff review by
Dream Taster
Rating:
There is no denying Dream Theater has been an enormous influence on progressive music for the last two decades. Every new release of theirs usually generates a buzz among fans and media alike. But since founding member, natural leader and revered drummer Mike Portnoy left the band unceremoniously last year, the free press the band is getting has been off the charts. After an overly publicized series of auditions whence drumming instructor Mike Mangini came triumphant, expectations were at an expected all-time high. A lot of doubts and uncertainties were lingering in the air. So what? You ask. Well, it all depends who's giving you the answer. Reviews have been split across the internet spectrum. But since you're stuck with me, here are my thoughts.

Read more ››
published 02.11.2011 | Comments (28)

Guest review by
Roman Doez
Rating:
Dream Theater is my favorite band. They've been for a while now. However, a lot of people classify their music as mindless wankery and dislike them because of that, and while it's true that their 2000's releases to some extent fall in that category, for a long time I never really could understand what made that so unappealing to some. However, after hearing this album, I instantly knew what they meant. Following the pretty good Black Clouds And Silver Linings, which was a huge step up from the very mixed Systematic Chaos and Octavarium, it seemed like everything was going great again for Dream Theater. However, the departure of founding member Mike Portnoy left them in quite a weird spot; he had been one of the lead writers for two decades and was one of the pillars behind their success. The band now had to prove themselves capable of writing great stuff without him, using their new drummer Mike Mangini. And I'm gonna be honest, they did anything but succeed.

Read more ››
published 29.12.2020 | Comments (52)

Found in 71 lists
Top lists

Comments page 4 / 6

Comments: 164   Visited by: 1828 users
17.09.2011 - 11:53
Rating: 6
malaikat
Well, coming from a person who usually doesn't listen to DT, I found this quite enjoyable and unpretentious listen. I mean, they are a good and popular band, I give them that, it's just that they always sounded uninspired to me: their "mainstreem" songs were weak and ridiculous, and they "progressive" bits were, to my ears, senseless showcases of their musical technique (like someone said on MS, like a bunch of dudes meatspining their dicks in front of me just to show me which one is bigger).

That being said, I honestly don't know why I like this, but I do

Must be because of the lowered expectations, I guess. Just in case, I will not rate it until 3rd or 4th spin.
17.09.2011 - 20:55
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Daniell on 16.09.2011 at 12:15

Yes, it's true. But the review from a staff member is coming. Not me, in case someone is worrying that I will bash the album.

Well, it kinda deserves a review like the one for 'Khaos Legions'.
But if anyone is gonna praise it, I hope he/she mentions how the fans have split opinions, based on what we see in this thread
----
7.0 means the album is good
18.09.2011 - 03:34
Rating: 9
imspazzen
Maybe my expectations were too low because I thought this was a great listen! I can see why some fans wouldn't like it though, it sounds very...modern. This is a vast improvement over their last 2 albums for me though so I'm very content.
18.09.2011 - 14:18
Aetherius
Damn, forgot all about this coming out and I have been waiting forever , lol. Gonna go get it on Amazon MP3 now and Ill post back what I think too! Kinda nervous seeing all you guys reviews I know your all big DT fans from reading various threads, and Im seeing a pattern, either ratings 6's or 9's , lol...
18.09.2011 - 19:58
Rating: 3
Fleabag
This album sounds like the remaining guys are rudderless without Portnoy. The 3 rating is for two of the songs, the rest of the album is a mish mash of lame improvising solos, coupled with the overbearing voice of James. The drumming is mediocre in comparison to the man as well.
19.09.2011 - 03:02
Opethian
Written by Acidjunkie on 12.09.2011 at 11:47

Written by Opethian on 12.09.2011 at 03:46

Why does everyone always compare to 'Older Material" ? Embrace is the word i suppose.

Not comparing it to older material. I don't even know all the Dream Theater Classics. Just not impressed by this album. Of course, feel free to disagree.;D

Dude i gave it a good spin and in the end it wasn't as bad as their 2009 album IMO. As always just my opinion and thought
20.09.2011 - 19:02
Aetherius
Okay so I got it and listened to it and few times, and have determined it is one of those type of albums that grows on me, I like it more a little each time. I detect some Falling Into Infinity sounds here and there and other elements of DT's discography, which that album took me the longest to start to like as much as the rest. Listening now also
20.09.2011 - 21:02
Jinghis
I've listened the new album, quite a lot. And it's time to gain an opinion. Before the album, I was quite sad by the time MP leaved the band, and noticed that Mike Mangini joined as new drummer I've got a little scared, and one question floated in my mind: "Is this DT is going to be the same DT as we used to love and listen ( or sing )?". For me the answer is simple and straightforward : Yes, and no. For the first time I've listened all the tracks, I surely found all the power, all the beauty... that I loved in this band for so long time. But several days after I've started to think: "How MP would do the drum part, in every track". Sure he's no longer in the band, but I used to his technique quite well for their 25 years in their carriers. But ( and maybe sadly for others ) that was the only negative thing in it. They are back, and could be better than 4 years ago. Mangini is truly not the same as Portnoy, B...U...T..., he scored a marvelous points in the "fit in" test for me. And every melody and, "kick in the face" track is graet. And I can't wait for the next album, when they reaaally work together.
21.09.2011 - 00:01
Rating: 5
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by Fleabag on 18.09.2011 at 19:58

This album sounds like the remaining guys are rudderless without Portnoy.

Seeing how the fucking keyboards are annoyingly stuck between every note of this album, never letting the listener forget them, I'm tempted to make a terrible pun which your post inspired: they're rudderless, but they have a lot of Rudess.
21.09.2011 - 03:44
BuzzPhil
This may sound ridiculous to some of you guys but it's probably my favorite Dream Theater. Really thought it was a masterpiece !
21.09.2011 - 09:08
Fleabag
Yes! Rudess has been let off the leash on this album, and you can tell he's somehow managed to mix down all the other instruments.
21.09.2011 - 09:59
Evil Chip
Sounds promising from the tracks that I've listened.
23.09.2011 - 06:06
frewq
A Dramatic Turn Of Events = Progressive Pop + Nü Metal
23.09.2011 - 08:49
Nicko's Nose
Written by frewq on 23.09.2011 at 06:06

A Dramatic Turn Of Events = Progressive Pop + Nü Metal

What. The. Fuck.
23.09.2011 - 10:19
Rating: 5
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Actually, the best description of this album is, in my humble opinion, progressive poop.
24.09.2011 - 17:01
Saeed_p
I expected more than this !
24.09.2011 - 19:03
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Soulhole on 15.09.2011 at 07:19

Well at least Symphony X killed it this year...

Seeing some of the harsh comments about this album being like "pop" and going for "radio exposure", made me smile remembering the pasting Symphony X have taken from some for "selling out" due to their newer material being more aggressive. :\ So both lightening your sound, and making it more aggressive can both be called "selling out"... geez *shakes head*

Im currently about half way through the album on my first listen, and certainly from a lot of the comments on here, I was expecting far worse... lol But I'll wait till Ive heard the full thing a couple of times before giving a proper opinion. One thing I will say though, Mike Mangini is a far greater drummer than he seems to be on this album... its as if for some reason he's holding back a bit.
27.09.2011 - 03:32
Rating: 8
Wes
Lol, symphony X SUCKED this year. what the hell.. I guess we all have different opinions on this. Whateva, I like this one.
27.09.2011 - 07:59
Rating: 7
Quinaitor
Written by Milena on 07.09.2011 at 14:50

They've never made an album this meh. And this is coming from a big fan of theirs and also someone who likes the latest albums. I know what I'm voting for when the biggest disappointment question gets asked at MS awards...

Written by Daniell on 07.09.2011 at 10:52

After 4 listens, I remember one good long track, and three shitty short tracks. Not too good for DT standards so far...

That one good track must be Breaking All Illusions. Awesome song.

I just thought the same thing about voting of the biggets letdown of this year...
----
Metal is flowing through my veins...
28.09.2011 - 15:52
jhook
How can this possibly get a lower rating than systematic chaos?
wow
29.09.2011 - 06:15
Rating: 8
Wes
Written by jhook on 28.09.2011 at 15:52

wow

Exactly... This album is definitely better than Systematic Chaos and Black Clouds. Seems like it should be obvious. I've heard worse albums from DT in their earlier discography. This album is great.
29.09.2011 - 11:26
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

wow

Because it is worse.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.09.2011 - 11:52
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.09.2011 at 11:26

wow

Because it is worse.

Because it's too Dream Theater for Metal Storm
29.09.2011 - 12:05
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Risto on 29.09.2011 at 11:52

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.09.2011 at 11:26

wow

Because it is worse.

Because it's too Dream Theater for Metal Storm

Nope, I am a big Dream Theater fan and I find the new one their worst by far.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.09.2011 - 13:16
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.09.2011 at 12:05

Nope, I am a big Dream Theater fan and I find the new one their worst by far.

I'm not being completely serious with that, but this is a weird site sometimes Like I stated in the review thread I find MS underrating this one.

By the way, your ratings of DT studio albums (including ACOS and excluding ADTOE) must average at about 7 which I don't find very high.
30.09.2011 - 15:59
The single, on the backs of angels, was one of the most epic tracks i had ever heard, but this album really dissapointed me compared to their debut. However, its still dream theater, and therefore its decent
30.09.2011 - 15:59
The single, on the backs of angels, was one of the most epic tracks i had ever heard, but this album really dissapointed me compared to their debut. However, its still dream theater, and therefore its decent
30.09.2011 - 17:45
Ankläger
Is that the Dead Kennedys logo on the plane tail?!
01.10.2011 - 23:46
John Shock

wow

Hey, systematic chaos is way better than this, and this album is good!
02.10.2011 - 03:11
jhook
Written by John Shock on 01.10.2011 at 23:46

wow

Hey, systematic chaos is way better than this, and this album is good!

in the presence of enemies was good but the rest of the album seemed like a raging identity crisis

Hits total: 39637 | This month: 79