04. This Is The Life
05. Bridges In The Sky
06. Outcry
07. Far From Heaven
08. Breaking All Illusions
09. Beneath The Surface

Additional info
Notes:

* The limited Deluxe Collector's Edition of A Dramatic Turn of Events includes a second disc with instrumentals of all the tracks.
* "Bridges in the Sky" was originally titled "The Shaman's Trance".
* A Dramatic Turn of Events is the first Dream Theater album to feature lyrics by bassist John Myung since "Fatal Tragedy" from Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory.
* Paul Northfield is credited for the spoken words in "Breaking All Illusions".

Staff review by
Daniell
Rating:
It seems that something like that must have happened eventually. Mike Portnoy is gone, and A Dramatic Turn of Events is the first occasion for the metal community to find out how Dream Theater fares without their co-founder and co-leader. Let me tell you straight away that it sucks. It sucks much more than I feared it would having heard the first song off the album, whose name I won't even bother to mention. Why would I want to waste time typing names of crappy songs?

Read more ››
published 21.09.2011 | Comments (186)

Staff review by
Dream Taster
Rating:
There is no denying Dream Theater has been an enormous influence on progressive music for the last two decades. Every new release of theirs usually generates a buzz among fans and media alike. But since founding member, natural leader and revered drummer Mike Portnoy left the band unceremoniously last year, the free press the band is getting has been off the charts. After an overly publicized series of auditions whence drumming instructor Mike Mangini came triumphant, expectations were at an expected all-time high. A lot of doubts and uncertainties were lingering in the air. So what? You ask. Well, it all depends who's giving you the answer. Reviews have been split across the internet spectrum. But since you're stuck with me, here are my thoughts.

Read more ››
published 02.11.2011 | Comments (28)

Guest review by
Roman Doez
Rating:
Dream Theater is my favorite band. They've been for a while now. However, a lot of people classify their music as mindless wankery and dislike them because of that, and while it's true that their 2000's releases to some extent fall in that category, for a long time I never really could understand what made that so unappealing to some. However, after hearing this album, I instantly knew what they meant. Following the pretty good Black Clouds And Silver Linings, which was a huge step up from the very mixed Systematic Chaos and Octavarium, it seemed like everything was going great again for Dream Theater. However, the departure of founding member Mike Portnoy left them in quite a weird spot; he had been one of the lead writers for two decades and was one of the pillars behind their success. The band now had to prove themselves capable of writing great stuff without him, using their new drummer Mike Mangini. And I'm gonna be honest, they did anything but succeed.

Read more ››
published 29.12.2020 | Comments (52)

Found in 71 lists
Top lists

Comments page 5 / 6

Comments: 164   Visited by: 1827 users
02.10.2011 - 03:16
John Shock

Written by jhook on 02.10.2011 at 03:11

Written by John Shock on 01.10.2011 at 23:46

Written by jhook on 28.09.2011 at 15:52

How can this possibly get a lower rating than systematic chaos?
wow

Hey, systematic chaos is way better than this, and this album is good!

in the presence of enemies was good but the rest of the album seemed like a raging identity crisis

Then listen to it carefully, and listen to this one carefully, and see the diference!
02.10.2011 - 03:41
Rating: 9
jhook

Written by John Shock on 02.10.2011 at 03:16

wow

in the presence of enemies was good but the rest of the album seemed like a raging identity crisis

Then listen to it carefully, and listen to this one carefully, and see the diference!

i've listened to pretty much everything dream theaters made a million times so idk what good that would do. They are very different albums in both their sound and approach so i guess its mostly just a matter of taste. i personally like the more melodic sound of ADTOF, but the reason i say systematic chaos is objectively worse is the inconsistency. Theres good songs an good moments, but i felt like DT spent half the album trying to be someone their not (metallica with constant motion, evanescence with forsaken, muse with prophets of war, some annoying band that used stupid vocal effects on the dark eternal night, etc). As a result i spent the whole album wishing they'd just try and sound like DT which is way better than any of those bands.
02.10.2011 - 03:41
jhook

wow

i've listened to pretty much everything dream theaters made a million times so idk what good that would do. They are very different albums in both their sound and approach so i guess its mostly just a matter of taste. i personally like the more melodic sound of ADTOF, but the reason i say systematic chaos is objectively worse is the inconsistency. Theres good songs an good moments, but i felt like DT spent half the album trying to be someone their not (metallica with constant motion, evanescence with forsaken, muse with prophets of war, some annoying band that uses stupid vocal effects on the dark eternal night, etc). As a result i spent the whole album wishing they'd just try and sound like DT which is way better than any of those bands.
02.10.2011 - 03:44
John Shock

Written by jhook on 02.10.2011 at 03:41

wow

i've listened to pretty much everything dream theaters made a million times so idk what good that would do. They are very different albums in both their sound and approach so i guess its mostly just a matter of taste. i personally like the more melodic sound of ADTOF, but the reason i say systematic chaos is objectively worse is the inconsistency. Theres good songs an good moments, but i felt like DT spent half the album trying to be someone their not (metallica with constant motion, evanescence with forsaken, muse with prophets of war, some annoying band that uses stupid vocal effects on the dark eternal night, etc). As a result i spent the whole album wishing they'd just try and sound like DT which is way better than any of those bands.

Well, then i wanna read your opinion about Black Clouds And Silver Linings ;-) ...
02.10.2011 - 04:14
jhook

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well, then i wanna read your opinion about Black Clouds And Silver Linings ;-) ...

eh.
there ya go :-D
02.10.2011 - 07:45
Rating: 8
Wes

One of the best albums I've heard in years and one of my favorites of their entire discography. Been listening to it all week basically non-stop.
03.10.2011 - 01:00
Rating: 6
musicalkaratekid

I don't think this a bad album, but its certainly DT's most melodic offering. 'Bridge in the Sky' and 'Breaking all illusions' are magnificent ...
03.10.2011 - 12:39
Nicko's Nose

WTF... Octavarium has Panic Attack and the title track, but it also has I Walk Beside You, The Answer Lies Within and Never Enough. Systematic Chaos has In The Presence Of Enemies Part I and II, but it also has Forsaken, The Dark Eternal Night and Prophets Of War. It's a GOOD thing they're not trying to sound like other bands anymore.
03.10.2011 - 13:27
Angelic Storm
Melodious
It's great to see some positive views of this album for a change, I was starting to think I was the only one who liked it! lol xD
03.10.2011 - 17:01
Rating: 5
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Nicko's Nose on 03.10.2011 at 12:39

WTF... Octavarium has Panic Attack and the title track, but it also has I Walk Beside You, The Answer Lies Within and Never Enough. Systematic Chaos has In The Presence Of Enemies Part I and II, but it also has Forsaken, The Dark Eternal Night and Prophets Of War.

Yes, their last 3-4 albums each have 2-3 atrocious songs that considerably lower the overall rating. But Octavaroum, Systematic Chaos and Black Clouds all had some brilliant tracks too, thus saving the day after all. DToE has only ONE really good song, Breaking All Illusions. And that's why it's one of their worst albums. And believe me, I really realy like Dream Theater.
10.10.2011 - 01:42
AndMetalForAll
kual21
So much noise for anything...
Not a complete album, with an ok song On Backs Of Angels, Outcry far too melodic and very shitty song ...it repeats itself constantly.
The only good song is Breaking All Illusions. Even the ballads suck. Although there is a song with potential to be played live that is Lost Not Forgotten..it can be pretty cool to be played live. Fair to say that this album isn't like this because Portnoy is not in the band anymore. The only reason that seems reasonable is that Dream Theater lost their edge, maybe a hiatus of 5, 6 years might bring this band with a more mature perspective of what they want. Mangini made a solid performance not very different from Portnoy's performances in past albums.
P.S: Dream Theater are not Rush. Rush are the only progressive band that can perform as amazing as they were in past years...
----
greets,
kual21
10.10.2011 - 02:24
GroundZero

I listened to the entire album at youtube and I didn't get impressed. I really enjoyed all DT previous work until Octavarium (with the exception of Train Of Thought), after Octavarium DT lost their creativity and innovation.

I read at blabbermouth.net that Mr. Petrucci didn't let Mike Mangini to write any song because he wanted DT to continue having the same sound. But that is precisely the problem. LaBrie sounds bored and tired, and Petrucci doesn't offer something new or at least amused.

That's right, they continue having such a virtuosity that always have characterized them, but they forgot how to make a good and entertaining album.
11.10.2011 - 17:26
Rating: 7
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Every time I listen to it, my interest for it seems to diminish. I don't agree with a lot that's been said here, but I do agree that it is the lack of more "good songs" that ultimately is lacking in this album.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
18.10.2011 - 15:28
RockeRoy

Written by BloodTears on 11.10.2011 at 17:26

Every time I listen to it, my interest for it seems to diminish. I don't agree with a lot that's been said here, but I do agree that it is the lack of more "good songs" that ultimately is lacking in this album.

I totaly agree with you, when i put it on i loose interest and put on something else insted. don't know what it is, it sounds a little uninspired
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
18.10.2011 - 16:29
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by RockeRoy on 18.10.2011 at 15:28

Written by BloodTears on 11.10.2011 at 17:26

I totaly agree with you, when i put it on i loose interest and put on something else insted. don't know what it is, it sounds a little uninspired

Sad but true. For a fan, it's hard to accept their favourite band releases something that is stale, but we have to suck it up this time
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
19.10.2011 - 04:58
Mountain King
K i K o
Started listening to it. I don't know what everyone thinks of this album but On The Back Of Angels is one of DT's best songs. I tend to have a different opinion when it comes to DT albums. most ppl think Awake is a big thing i think half of it is great and the other half is crappy. I think Systematic Chaos is a great album while it gets the lowest rating of all DT albums. I think Scenes From A Memory is very overrated. It's all opnions in the end...
19.10.2011 - 12:23
Aetherius

I think On the Backs of Angels is awesome as well. It, along with Lost Not Forgotten, and Breaking All Illusions are my personal faves.
20.10.2011 - 09:41
RockeRoy

I kind of expect more from DT album than a couple of good songs
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
22.10.2011 - 04:51
ralph86

Definitely better than the last album... but then that's not saying much. DT lost their magic somewhere in the mid 2000s for me!
24.10.2011 - 14:10
Xim
Rocker of Worlds
Yeah, I think a solid seven is good for this album. It's good, but there's nothing amazing.
31.10.2011 - 19:25
DylanFan61

It definitely feels like their most cohesive album in a while, but it lacks the variety and dynamics of the last couple, whilst also lacking the memorable songs of their earlier stuff: despite SOUNDING very melodic, the songs dont really stick in the mind: I can get why harder DT fans might dig this, but it feels a bit hollow to me, all a bit unmemorable
02.11.2011 - 14:59
Rating: 10
nb

I found this album to be very enjoyable. It has all the DT elements you could hope for and it is still progressive metal, not soft prog rock like some people said. I found the guitar and keyboard work to be excellent, the bass is very much there (I still have to pay more attention to it), the vocals are very catchy, the drums are also nice, however they seem a little low in the mix.
Overall a very nice effort from DT.
04.11.2011 - 03:56
Víctor

Not as good as expected but not bad at all
14.11.2011 - 03:03
renai

Just happen to listen this for this week. I feel nothing wrong with the album, in fact this is a bit fresh music than black cloud-systematic-octavarium trilogy.
----
hey...my blog >>> http://metalharem.blogspot.com/
02.01.2012 - 00:52
Kivaagno

OMG ppl !!
what about the crappy ratings !!! this album is a master piece !!!!
it really is u just have to be a dedicated fan to totally understand it
02.01.2012 - 01:00
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Kivaagno on 02.01.2012 at 00:52

That's bullshit, you just have to be a fanboy to blindly like anything your favorite band releases.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
02.01.2012 - 01:14
Kivaagno

Written by Troy Killjoy on 02.01.2012 at 01:00

Written by Kivaagno on 02.01.2012 at 00:52

That's bullshit, you just have to be a fanboy to blindly like anything your favorite band releases.

hey !!!!!
that's not true , there's always a major thing that dream theater talks about in any album
u just have to see it and others do , it's ur problem not the album's
this album is not as puzzled as Octavarium it only takes 5 times to completely understand it
yes i've listen to it 5 times till i loved it but that doesn't make it any less of a success
it's way better than those albums that u get sick from listening to them for the 20th times or so
25.03.2012 - 23:43
Milena
gloom cookie
I see a lot of parallels between this and FII. A key member leaves (Kevin/Mike), the band is confused, the production/writing process changes (label pressures/no Mike) and as a result we get an extremely polarizing album. I found FII to be relatively strong and this one pretty weak, but I know some people think it's the other way around - the fact they have an identical rating here says a lot.

DT is a band that keeps the fans on their toes (in a pretty negative way actually), there's always turbulence and there's always some lineup changes and shit. Every generation of fans had to go through theirs. I went through Mike's bitchfest and this I guess. But there is also something positive - FII was followed by what some think is their best work (and it is at least lyrically), so I hope this will be followed by some sort of a return to form. Probably not a 9-10 like back in the day. But some 8-8.5 would be nice. At least that's what I hope for - an actually good album.
----
7.0 means the album is good
26.03.2012 - 10:04
Rating: 5
Nick le Bel

Mike was right, when he asked them to take a break
03.08.2012 - 20:24
musicalkaratekid

I won't deny that Dream Theater's latest album has its great moments. The build-up of opener 'On the Backs of Angels' and 'Outcry' really are stunning in the end, and the quirkiness of 'Breaking all Illusions' proves to be something quite enjoyable indeed. However, this is the only 30 decent minutes I would really listen to out of a 75+ minute as largely bland as 'A dramatic Turn of Events'. This isn't the band's worst album, but it may well be their weakest. 'Build me up, break me down' just isn't that good at all, and 'This is the Life', 'Far from Heaven' and closer 'Beneath the Surface' all have the same problem: They bore the listener within mere seconds. Well, by 'listener' I mean me of course. I'm saying a lot of people had high expectations of this album, and a fair few must have been disappointed to say the least-I am one of those people.

Hits total: 39608 | This month: 50