Metal Storm logo
Death/Doom Appreciation

Original post

Posted by , 13.09.2006 - 01:15
This thread was created to pay homeage to great Death Metal bands who add Doom Metal elements to their sonic assaults. These bands include the greats such as Autopsy, Morbid Angel, Incantation and dISEMBOWELMENT to lesser knowns such as Mausoleum and Coffins. Discuss, recomend and appreciate great Death/Doom bands
22.02.2007 - 04:05
Putrid_Cadaver
Account deleted
I discovered Swallow the sun of a Promotion CD that I got with a Napalm Death Cd. They are actually a very good band, and like lash said, theyre doom with death elements, no doubt about that.
22.02.2007 - 10:16
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 22.02.2007 at 04:05

I discovered Swallow the sun of a Promotion CD that I got with a Napalm Death Cd. They are actually a very good band, and like lash said, theyre doom with death elements, no doubt about that.

Swollow the Sun dont belongs to this tread because its modern doom metal, ist something whit death elements but not like old school death/doom
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
11.03.2007 - 11:10
Anathemani@c

Written by Guest on 11.01.2007 at 23:19

it's always better to start by the classics.. Winter, Dusk, Decomposed, Asphyx

I thought that classic doom death metal were Anathema, My Dying Bride and Paradise Lost.. But now you are braking this myth in my eyes... Or you have just really mistaken THAT MUCH...
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
11.03.2007 - 11:13
Anathemani@c

Written by Guest on 12.01.2007 at 04:49

Written by ylside on 11.01.2007 at 23:34

Didn't know that Decomposed was a classic!

they are not but they SHOULD... I'm just helping to create the myth

There is only one thing I could say now: LOL
----
Trapped in time
11.03.2007 - 11:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Anathemani@c on 11.03.2007 at 11:10

I thought that classic doom death metal were Anathema, My Dying Bride and Paradise Lost.. But now you are braking this myth in my eyes... Or you have just really mistaken THAT MUCH...

Well you're wrigt man to
First was Paradise Lost tehn some other bands like Anathema, My Dying Bride ..., but SA means those bands what he mention wa smore old school sound, more old school and then thay split up an dthats what makes tjhem so clasical also early death metal like Senrtencd was mcloser to death/doom and Asphyx, Ashes You Leave(Early)
----

apos;'
[image]
11.03.2007 - 13:14
Merciless
Account deleted
My ultimate favourite is Dream Death (USA), but many people wouldn't consider it doom/death metal. Vocals aren't really growls, they sound kind of hardcorish, but just listen to the riffs. Anyway, they released their full-length "Journey Into Mystery" in 1987, and they have also released two years ago a compilation called "Back From The Dead", containing all of their (3) demos. Absolutely my favourite doom/death metal band, and also among my all-time favourite bands.

Another great band would be Necro Schizma (NED), pure worship for Hellhammer's doomy moments (they even covered Hellhammer's Triumph Of Death). Very slow doom/death metal. Funeral doom metal, perhaps. Highly recommended for Hellhammer fans.

Mythic (USA) is also one of my favourites. And if I mention Mythic, then it would also be essential to mention Derkéta (USA), which have contained two Mythic members in the past. They sound pretty similar but Derkéta has this more of an evil feeling. Imagine Autopsy's doomy moments (take into account though that Derkéta is more of a death metal band rather than a doom/death metal band).

And then you have other great classics, such as Asphyx (NED), Cianide (USA), Dusk (USA), Decomposed (UK), Sorrow (USA), Winter (USA), Delirium (NED) and the list goes on...
11.03.2007 - 14:11
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I'm gona check some of this bands (dusk, sorrow, winter, etc) since i like death/doom very much. I'm only familiar with Anathema, paradise lost, my dying bride, katatonia. and then other acts with a stronger melodic basis, modern if u will (swallow the sun and daylight dies).
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
11.03.2007 - 14:35
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by BloodTears on 11.03.2007 at 14:11

I'm gona check some of this bands (dusk, sorrow, winter, etc) since i like death/doom very much. I'm only familiar with Anathema, paradise lost, my dying bride, katatonia. and then other acts with a stronger melodic basis, modern if u will (swallow the sun and daylight dies).

Well ist be hard because moust of bands are forgotten and dont exist, ist splitt up and albums, mp3 ist hard to find(only dounloud) but thay are good, werry good bands you shood try them realy good its poetical and amazing

@Merciless -such a good psot for newby hope you continue like this,
----

apos;'
[image]
11.03.2007 - 15:43
Southern Wind
Account deleted

Winter released "Into Darkness" three years before Anathema released "Serenades", and 2 years before "As the Flower Withers".... Dusk came a bit later, and Decomposed are rather unknown, but Winter and Asphyx ARE classics that just became eclipsed by the "super-bands" that came later
11.03.2007 - 15:59
Anathemani@c

Written by Guest on 11.03.2007 at 15:43

Winter released "Into Darkness" three years before Anathema released "Serenades", and 2 years before "As the Flower Withers".... Dusk came a bit later, and Decomposed are rather unknown, but Winter and Asphyx ARE classics that just became eclipsed by the "super-bands" that came later

Then you mean that Winter released their alboum "Into darkness" by the time Anathema released their demos "Crestfallen EP". "All faith is lost" etc.. Right?
----
Trapped in time
11.03.2007 - 16:18
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Anathemani@c on 11.03.2007 at 15:59

Written by Guest on 11.03.2007 at 15:43

Then you mean that Winter released their alboum "Into darkness" by the time Anathema released their demos "Crestfallen EP". "All faith is lost" etc.. Right?

even before... Anathema was formed in 1990, and Winter had a demo released in 1989 and their album in 1990... same with Asphyx... those bands aren't really known by common metalheads, but they're legends among doomsters...
11.03.2007 - 16:22
Anathemani@c

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

even before... Anathema was formed in 1990, and Winter had a demo released in 1989 and their album in 1990... same with Asphyx... those bands aren't really known by common metalheads, but they're legends among doomsters...

Maybe then you dont remember that Anathema were known as "Pagan Angel" before changing it to today's Anathema. So it is the same thing! They started together
----
Trapped in time
11.03.2007 - 16:33
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Been downloading a lot of the bands you recommend, such as Asphyx, Cianide, Winter, Decomposed (already had some Dusk, but didn't really listen to it).
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
11.03.2007 - 16:35
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Written by Anathemani@c on 11.03.2007 at 16:22

Maybe then you dont remember that Anathema were known as "Pagan Angel" before changing it to today's Anathema. So it is the same thing! They started together

But as long as I know, Pagan Angel never released anything... anyway... what is clear is that early Anathema (the Cresfallen/Pentecost era) was influenced by Winter and Asphyx, and not the opposite.
11.03.2007 - 16:44
Anathemani@c

Quote:
But as long as I know, Pagan Angel never released anything... anyway... what is clear is that early Anathema (the Cresfallen/Pentecost era) was influenced by Winter and Asphyx, and not the opposite.

Neither Winter as you said released anything in the period of 1989, but they releaesed in 1990, as Anathema and MDB did. So they all started together
----
Trapped in time
11.03.2007 - 16:59
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Quote:
Written by Anathemani@c on 11.03.2007 at 16:44

Neither Winter as you said released anything in the period of 1989, but they releaesed in 1990, as Anathema and MDB did. So they all started together

I never heard the first demos of Anathema, but what MDB released by 1990 was pure death metal.... and no, it's a fact that Winter started before... Winter started in 1988, Anathema in 1990... simple as that there's nothing to discuss... and even one year is a lot in terms of genres birth.
11.03.2007 - 17:06
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Written by Guest on 11.03.2007 at 16:35

I know chilain doom/death band who has song Pagan Angel IMO it calls Bitterdusk, I had that song but Im lazzy check band name

I agree those bands what you mention are underground and seems thay stay so underground and IMO ist good till we can get mp3
----

apos;'
[image]
11.03.2007 - 17:19
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Bad English on 11.03.2007 at 14:35

Written by BloodTears on 11.03.2007 at 14:11

Well ist be hard because moust of bands are forgotten and dont exist, ist splitt up and albums, mp3 ist hard to find(only dounloud) but thay are good, werry good bands you shood try them realy good its poetical and amazing

@Merciless -such a good psot for newby hope you continue like this,

Yes most of those bands only realeased 1 album and have split-up after that but im downloading winter, asphyx and decomposed albums. its hard to find a lot of ppl who have them though.
----

My Instagram
11.03.2007 - 17:29
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
@BloodTears - I know albums are easyer fidn how demos, those are rear so rear
but liek SA say ist rear know bands for metalhads only good know for doomsters

I sugets you find something about Chilan and Brazilian doom scene
----

apos;'
[image]
11.03.2007 - 20:13
ylside

Written by BloodTears on 11.03.2007 at 17:19

Yes most of those bands only realeased 1 album and have split-up after that but im downloading winter, asphyx and decomposed albums. its hard to find a lot of ppl who have them though.

Quite hard indeed... I would like to know your opinion about Decomposed later on if you may!, and indeed check also Merciless' reccos, Dream Death is one awesome pick. Even if the "Death" in "Doom/Death" is quite hard to assimilate when it comes to this band.
11.03.2007 - 20:41
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by ylside on 11.03.2007 at 20:13

Quite hard indeed... I would like to know your opinion about Decomposed later on if you may!, and indeed check also Merciless' reccos, Dream Death is one awesome pick. Even if the "Death" in "Doom/Death" is quite hard to assimilate when it comes to this band.

Early death/dom ist always hard to tell whitch are witch, its nowdays because death metal are changed IMO Sentenced when play death metal it can be doom/death too
----

apos;'
[image]
11.03.2007 - 21:07
Bitch Boy

Looking for prog death/doom recommendations, it doesn't matter if they have male or female vocals. Thanks in advance
11.03.2007 - 21:19
BloodTears
ANA-thema

I listened to decomposed and asphyx today. and its curious i find the death/doom of asphyx more "death" and the death/doom of decomposed more "doom" if i make any sense at all. i had the same feeling while listening to asphyx's "the rack" as i had while listening to oprnahed land's "el norra alila", the death parts are just great.
As u asked for my opinion on Decomposed i must say i liked "hope finally dies" at first listen. "inscriptions", "taste the dying" and "(Forever) Lying In State" are among my favourites.

Merciless and Winter are the next ones on my list. tks for your suggestions.
----

My Instagram
11.03.2007 - 21:27
ylside

Written by BloodTears on 11.03.2007 at 21:19

I listened to decomposed and asphyx today. and its curious i find the death/doom of asphyx more "death" and the death/doom of decomposed more "doom" if i make any sense at all. i had the same feeling while listening to asphyx's "the rack" as i had while listening to oprnahed land's "el norra alila", the death parts are just great.
As u asked for my opinion on Decomposed i must say i liked "hope finally dies" at first listen. "inscriptions", "taste the dying" and "(Forever) Lying In State" are among my favourites.

No probs!
Great, Decomposed are really a great band, eventhough they only got one album out. Winter is actually a prototype of doom/death, and Merciless, well, I meant the users' post (somewhere before yours). But the band with the same name is great aswell.
11.03.2007 - 21:49
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by ylside on 11.03.2007 at 21:27

Written by BloodTears on 11.03.2007 at 21:19

No probs!
Great, Decomposed are really a great band, eventhough they only got one album out. Winter is actually a prototype of doom/death, and Merciless, well, I meant the users' post (somewhere before yours). But the band with the same name is great aswell.

oh u meant the user lol sorry. yes Decomposed only released one album but maybe their demos worth a listen.
----

My Instagram
11.03.2007 - 22:00
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Written by Bad English on 11.03.2007 at 17:06

Written by Guest on 11.03.2007 at 16:35

I know chilain doom/death band who has song Pagan Angel IMO it calls Bitterdusk, I had that song but Im lazzy check band name

I agree those bands what you mention are underground and seems thay stay so underground and IMO ist good till we can get mp3

Bitterdusk are an awesome Chilean band indeed... I like them more than Poema Arcanus... but less than Mar De Grises... their album Spirits is an unknmown masterpiece, but they really fell last year with "Santuaria"... that was a very dissapointing release
11.03.2007 - 22:12
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
@SA - I had songs
'Among The Treas'
'Secreto A Voces' and
'Pagan Angel'

Wel I had a lot of chilian vband mp3 about 50 songs
----

apos;'
[image]
11.03.2007 - 22:19
ylside

Written by Bitch Boy on 11.03.2007 at 21:07

Looking for prog death/doom recommendations, it doesn't matter if they have male or female vocals. Thanks in advance

A rather non original Metal Archives search came up with this, I never heard those, but will check them someday, looks interesting!

http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=19079
http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=85605
11.03.2007 - 23:37
Bitch Boy

Written by ylside on 11.03.2007 at 22:19

Written by Bitch Boy on 11.03.2007 at 21:07

A rather non original Metal Archives search came up with this, I never heard those, but will check them someday, looks interesting!

http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=19079
http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=85605

Thanks dude!! Only the second band, Opposed to Violence, has samples available, the music is really good but in didn't like the vocals that much.
12.03.2007 - 08:37
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
I don't know who said that demo era MDB was pure death metal... but I totally disagree. A song such as Symphonaire Infernus et Spera Empyrium is as doom/death as doom/death can be.

As for Apshyx being doom/death, please people... you gotta be kidding right? Okay there are some slight doom influences in their music and sounf but they are as pure old school death metal as can get. Just some slowed down passages doesn't make a band doom/death.
I really like OLD Asphyx but would never ever call them doom/death, especially not after having seen them live quite often back in the late 80s and early 90s.

And to all Anathema worshippers... (btw I am a huge fan of old Anathema and HATE boring new rock Anathema) Winter started BEFORE Anathema. Hell, I even remember when Anathema hit the scene that quite a few undergorund metal mags were calling Anathema a MDB clone, or even worse a MDB rip-off.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996