Metal Storm logo
Death/Doom Appreciation

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 13.09.2006 - 01:15
This thread was created to pay homeage to great Death Metal bands who add Doom Metal elements to their sonic assaults. These bands include the greats such as Autopsy, Morbid Angel, Incantation and dISEMBOWELMENT to lesser knowns such as Mausoleum and Coffins. Discuss, recomend and appreciate great Death/Doom bands
12.03.2007 - 13:45
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.03.2007 at 08:37

As for Apshyx being doom/death, please people... you gotta be kidding right? Okay there are some slight doom influences in their music and sounf but they are as pure old school death metal as can get. Just some slowed down passages doesn't make a band doom/death.
I really like OLD Asphyx but would never ever call them doom/death, especially not after having seen them live quite often back in the late 80s and early 90s.

And to all Anathema worshippers... (btw I am a huge fan of old Anathema and HATE boring new rock Anathema)

Well its hard to tell between old school doom/death and death metal, where are border, ist realy hard, Im not so much death emtal fan, but I listen old school Morbid Angel, Obituary, Slaughter(Can) not hair band, but I dont like nowdays death metal, but Apshyx i lone it, its some slower riffs, its so great

Me to first 2-3 Anatheme revords and then better
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
13.03.2007 - 00:39
ylside
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.03.2007 at 08:37

As for Apshyx being doom/death, please people... you gotta be kidding right? Okay there are some slight doom influences in their music and sounf but they are as pure old school death metal as can get. Just some slowed down passages doesn't make a band doom/death.

Their self titled album IS Doom/death as Doom/Death can be.
21.05.2007 - 22:07
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
What you all think about eraly old school Finish band Ater who has 2 demos chek in MA there are mikseri link there you can get them I jsut dounloud them and gonna listen
----

apos;'
[image]
24.05.2007 - 02:25
ylside
Staff
K7 since you like checking rare bands and whatnots, give a listen to Divine Eve, released only one EP however it is worth it ! An american band that plays in the vein of Swedish DM's sound, plus it being quite
doomy.

EDIT : oh also, Magus (american, doom death with violons ) and the swedish Eternal Darkness, great band.
24.05.2007 - 13:49
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by ylside on 24.05.2007 at 02:25

K7 since you like checking rare bands and whatnots, give a listen to Divine Eve, released only one EP however it is worth it ! An american band that plays in the vein of Swedish DM's sound, plus it being quite
doomy.

EDIT : oh also, Magus (american, doom death with violons ) and the swedish Eternal Darkness, great band.

I listen Divine Eve in myspace now damn great great band some times I wanna open a metal lybery where pppl can borrow CD and damn such rear god band

I know Magus from Anus and doom-metal but hanvt hera them so much but thay shod be more know how are

Eternal Darkness - I fix band befoe 2 years when checked in MA swedish bands
----

apos;'
[image]
25.05.2007 - 09:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Another good new Italian doom death band is Embrace My Ruin:

review here

and some sample can be found on their
myspace page
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.01.2008 - 07:33
Fucked Upstairs.
Account deleted
i wrote a journal about death/doom metal on last.fm but it got deleted after i deleted my account lol, anyway, i think it's important to point out that the first and early bands who played "death/doom" don't sound like the bands today who play death/doom. not only is the old death/doom stuff free of all these "dark romantic" crap, it's pure old school, just like marcel already mentioned about asphyx NOT being death/doom, we can argue about it, just like autopsy. for some these stuff is death/doom, for other people it's not. as for me, autopsy is not death/doom on severed survival or anything released after mental funeral, BUT, on mental funeral we hear excellent old school death/doom, same for asphyx, i only listen to the their stuff they've recorded befor the debut and the stuff they did with martin v. drunen, and that stuff is death/doom for me. it's the same with possessed and slaughter, most people call it thrash, but we all agree about them being the fathers (with morbid angel, death etc.. of course) of this mighty genre called death metal.

anyway, if you're interested in old school death/doom metal, i recommend following releases:

Dusk - Majestic Thou in Ruin (imo, the best death/doom [and doom metal] album ever to be recorded!)
Phlebotomized - Immense Intense Suspense
Decomposed - Hope Finally Died...
Magus - Ruminations of Debauchery (i'm very sure that this will take some time to get into!)
Sempiternal Deathreign - The Spooky Gloom
Winter - Into Darkness
Sorrow - Hatred and Disgust
Absurd Existence - Angelwings
Cianide - The Dying Truth
Mythic - Everything
Paramaecium - Exhumed of the Earth
Divine Eve - As The Angels Weep
diSEMBOWELMENT - Transcendence Into The Peripheral
Eternal Darkness - Doomed EP (Or get the compilation album which was released in 2005 or 2007 i'm not sure)
04.01.2008 - 01:52
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
I always mention the difference between Death/Doom and Doom/Death. Death/Doom of course being Doom influenced Death metal such as Asphyc, Doom/Death being the My Dying Bride type of stuff. Has always worked for me.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
04.01.2008 - 01:55
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Lucas on 04.01.2008 at 01:52

I always mention the difference between Death/Doom and Doom/Death. Death/Doom of course being Doom influenced Death metal such as Asphyc, Doom/Death being the My Dying Bride type of stuff. Has always worked for me.

But in eraly beggining there was almoust not diferences becase death/doom was lil 'calmer' how doom/death and doom/death was more death stylish so both genres are great
----

apos;'
[image]
04.01.2008 - 08:38
Fucked Upstairs.
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 04.01.2008 at 01:52

Asphyx*

Well for me, it's all Death/Doom, but just like in Black Metal, the genre changed a lot. That's why I classify the entire genre in waves. The first wave being the bands who actually made this all up like sempiternal deathreign, delirium, pardise lost, winter, asphyx, disembowelment, maimed, mythic and autopsy. and the second wave, being the bands in the early 90s and mid' 90s who brought this genre to a new direction, especially bands like my dying bride, katatonia and anathema who are probably the most influential of this genre at all. and the third wave being the bands who got their stuff out in the late 90s and are still active to date. I once updated the wikipedia site about death/doom metal, but it got deleted (what a suprise), which pissed me the fuck off, because I can't stand it when people claim that my dying bride, paradise lost and katatonia were the bands who invented this genre.

In my opinion, when I look at the date of the releases, the true fathers of this genre are sempiternal deathreign (full-lenght out '89), winter (first demo out '89) and asphyx with their 7'' "mutilating process" which also got released in 1989.
04.01.2008 - 21:15
Southern Wind
Account deleted
An interesting classic yet underground death/doom band that is basically influenced by the new york school of death metal, are Sorrow. If I remember well, their greta album Hatred And Disgust was released in 1992... they sound actually closer to Suffocation than to Winter, but they're doom all the way. Highly recommended.
05.01.2008 - 01:39
Narterath
Whoa, four pages of posts and no one even mentioned Hearse. They're probably one of my favourite Death/Doom bands, they had an old-school evil sound like Autopsy had, but all they needed was a little bit of refinement. Too bad they split up and only released two demos. You can find the demos in the compilation LP All Soon To Be Dead, released by Painiac records, of course if you can find the LP. I have it and I must say that it's one of the obscure gems in my collection. Their work is recommended for any fan of the old-school death/doom style.
06.01.2008 - 06:47
villain
Autopsy's Mental Funderal and Mythic's Mourning in the Winter Solstice [EP] are two good albums I listen to from this doom/death/death /doom genre.
----

Suddenly........
Life has new meaning
06.01.2008 - 21:31
Fucked Upstairs.
Account deleted
Written by villain on 06.01.2008 at 06:47

Autopsy's Mental Funderal and Mythic's Mourning in the Winter Solstice [EP] are two good albums I listen to from this doom/death/death /doom genre.

yeah mythic is very good and probably the first all-female extreme metal band of the world.
21.09.2008 - 12:36
Anathemani@c
Quote:
Quote:

Asphyx*

Well for me, it's all Death/Doom, but just like in Black Metal, the genre changed a lot. That's why I classify the entire genre in waves. The first wave being the bands who actually made this all up like sempiternal deathreign, delirium, pardise lost, winter, asphyx, disembowelment, maimed, mythic and autopsy. and the second wave, being the bands in the early 90s and mid' 90s who brought this genre to a new direction, especially bands like my dying bride, katatonia and anathema who are probably the most influential of this genre at all. and the third wave being the bands who got their stuff out in the late 90s and are still active to date. I once updated the wikipedia site about death/doom metal, but it got deleted (what a suprise), which pissed me the fuck off, because I can't stand it when people claim that my dying bride, paradise lost and katatonia were the bands who invented this genre.

In my opinion, when I look at the date of the releases, the true fathers of this genre are sempiternal deathreign (full-lenght out '89), winter (first demo out '89) and asphyx with their 7'' "mutilating process" which also got released in 1989.

I think you're wrong.. And that is just because you mentioned PL on the first wave of Doom/death and then you put Anathema and My Dying Bride on the second... They started together...And Katatonia.. I think they 're on the third wave.. They havent started alongside Anathema and MDB..
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
22.09.2008 - 19:49
HugeTheConqeror
I'm surprised to see only one passing reference to Novembers Doom. Their last two releases ("The Pale Haunt Departure" and "Novella Reservoir") were fantastic Death Doom albums. I can't recommend them highly enough.

I also just got the latest release from Coffins, and am enjoying it very much as well.
----
Pardon me while I wreak my vengeance.
25.11.2008 - 15:46
Thryce
Retired Staff
Elite

K7 since you like checking rare bands and whatnots, give a listen to Divine Eve, released only one EP however it is worth it ! An american band that plays in the vein of Swedish DM's sound, plus it being quite doomy.

Did you know these guys are reforming with the original line up after 13 years? They are currently in the studio recording a new EP, consisting of two new songs and two previously unrecorded Divine Eve songs that did however appear on the Crimson Relic "Purgatory's Reign" album. The titles for these songs are "Whispers Of Fire", "Ravages Of Heathen Men", "Vindication", and TBA. Also the release date is TBA.

All info on http://www.myspace.com/divineeve2008.
----
Your favorite band sucks.
25.11.2008 - 16:45
Stigmatized
Is Hooded Menace considered Death/Doom? I just heard their album "Fulfill the Curse" and it's pretty solid, I recommend it.
25.11.2008 - 19:08
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Stigmatized on 25.11.2008 at 16:45

Is Hooded Menace considered Death/Doom? I just heard their album "Fulfill the Curse" and it's pretty solid, I recommend it.

I should receive it around thursday from Marcel. Looking forward to that. I think it would count as Death/Doom, though I havent heard much of it.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
25.11.2008 - 20:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

Yes, it sure is, of the filthy old school type of death doom. Think a mix of Winter Autopsy Cianide Asphyx.

Of course another GREAT band in that vein (as HugeTheConqueror recommended) is COffins, and of course also check out Acid Witch (which has Lass of Hooded Menace in it)

Btw these bands play a death doom whcih is nothing like what people come to epxect with bands such as OLD Paradise Lost, OLD Anathema, My Dying Bride, Mourning Beloveth, Officium Triste, Novembers Doom & Swallow The Sun (I now shudder just typing those two names, but I think I am one of the few people around who thinks both bands absolute bollocks.)
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.11.2008 - 21:23
Richard
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.11.2008 at 20:41

Yes, it sure is, of the filthy old school type of death doom. Think a mix of Winter Autopsy Cianide Asphyx.

That sounds an interesting mixture for sure. Unfortunately the name 'Hooded Menace' just makes me think of a Chav..!

The whole 'Death/Doom' debate in this thread is kind of interesting. Many of the bands considered as 'Death/Doom' by many people are ones I've always just considered Death Metal, really. Death Metal, in its essence, should sound 'deathly' - morbid, sinister and nasty - and as such, really slow doomy parts are a big part of that feel, rather than an overuse of blasting.

It seems that old-school Death Metal is often referred to as Death/Doom simply because it doesn't conform to the modern trend of endless blasting...
----
25.11.2008 - 21:29
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Richard on 25.11.2008 at 21:23

The whole 'Death/Doom' debate in this thread is kind of interesting. Many of the bands considered as 'Death/Doom' by many people are ones I've always just considered Death Metal, really. Death Metal, in its essence, should sound 'deathly' - morbid, sinister and nasty - and as such, really slow doomy parts are a big part of that feel, rather than an overuse of blasting. It's weird that Sempiternal Deathreign and Autopsy are considered by some people as 'Death/Doom' just because they have a few slow bits, whereas bands like Incantation and Obituary are considered 'Death Metal' even though they have even more doomy moments...

Yes, I know where you're coming from. I have the same problem with this discussion here as you. Although Sempiternal Deathreign are way more towards doom than bands such as Autopsy and Asphyx. I DO consider those three bands death metal and not death/doom to be honest. I think it is a generational thing as well cause I know for a fact that people of my generation would always consider those bands death metal, thoguh with slowed down bits. Whereas we (the grey and old ones) would consider Winter to be death/doom.

With bands such as Coffins/Hooded Menace and to a lesser extent Acid Witch one could have the same problems, but here I see my generation (me included) calling those bands death/doom with Acid Witch being the most doomy of the three.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.11.2008 - 22:13
Stigmatized
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.11.2008 at 20:41

Of course another GREAT band in that vein (as HugeTheConqueror recommended) is COffins, and of course also check out Acid Witch (which has Lass of Hooded Menace in it)

Btw these bands play a death doom whcih is nothing like what people come to epxect with bands such as OLD Paradise Lost, OLD Anathema, My Dying Bride, Mourning Beloveth, Officium Triste, Novembers Doom & Swallow The Sun (I now shudder just typing those two names, but I think I am one of the few people around who thinks both bands absolute bollocks.)

Well, I don't need to think about the mix of sounds they might be, since I've already heard it. Winter is indeed great, "Into Darkness" is one of the heaviest albums I've heard and of course Asphyx and Autopsy are great. I actually got to see Cianide live in '07, they have one most crushing live sounds you'll ever hear. Coffins is good as well, their new album still needs to time to grow on me though.
25.11.2008 - 22:35
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Stigmatized on 25.11.2008 at 22:13

Well, I don't need to think about the mix of sounds they might be, since I've already heard it. Winter is indeed great, "Into Darkness" is one of the heaviest albums I've heard and of course Asphyx and Autopsy are great. I actually got to see Cianide live in '07, they have one most crushing live sounds you'll ever hear. Coffins is good as well, their new album still needs to time to grow on me though.

Oops, my mistake, of course you heard Hooded Menace, you said so in your earlier post. That's what I get for drinking beer this ealry in the day while being that I received my package with Hooded Menace & Acid Witch amongst others.
Damn, you saw Cianide live? I really want to see them.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.11.2008 - 23:28
Stigmatized
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.11.2008 at 22:35

Written by Stigmatized on 25.11.2008 at 22:13

Oops, my mistake, of course you heard Hooded Menace, you said so in your earlier post. That's what I get for drinking beer this ealry in the day while being that I received my package with Hooded Menace & Acid Witch amongst others.
Damn, you saw Cianide live? I really want to see them.

Haha, no problem.

Yeah, I saw Cianide at Central Illinois Metalfest 2007. They were the heaviest show there man. I think they're from Chicago so it wasn't far for them to go. I'm not sure if they've ever toured or anything.
25.11.2008 - 23:43
ylside
Staff
Written by Thryce on 25.11.2008 at 15:46

K7 since you like checking rare bands and whatnots, give a listen to Divine Eve, released only one EP however it is worth it ! An american band that plays in the vein of Swedish DM's sound, plus it being quite doomy.

Did you know these guys are reforming with the original line up after 13 years? They are currently in the studio recording a new EP, consisting of two new songs and two previously unrecorded Divine Eve songs that did however appear on the Crimson Relic "Purgatory's Reign" album. The titles for these songs are "Whispers Of Fire", "Ravages Of Heathen Men", "Vindication", and TBA. Also the release date is TBA.

All info on http://www.myspace.com/divineeve2008.

Ah great.. will surely check it by then
14.03.2009 - 02:27
doomgrind
Account deleted
Daylight Dies and Draconian are my two favorite doom bands They're actually the only 2 doom bands I like.. I like some melodic singing to go along with my brutality, but most doom bands favor the melancholic singing over the crushing br00tal growls I love so much.
14.03.2009 - 02:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 14.03.2009 at 02:27

Draconian

Its not death/doom its gothic/doom specly newer lbums
----

apos;'
[image]
31.07.2009 - 04:43
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Anyone here listen to Mystic Charm from the netherlands? pretty good stuff, despite only releasing one album. the vocals are done by a female and are pretty damn wicked and the riffs are nice and heavy and sound very obituary-esque at times
31.07.2009 - 14:44
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
Estatic Fear is an awesome Death/Doom (at least I would say it's Death/Doom) band, I really recommend their 2 albums!