06. Who Are You?
07. Looking For Today
08. Spiral Architect

Top 20 albums of 1973: 1
Top 200 albums of all time: 119
Featured In "Getting Into: Black Sabbath"

Additional info
Produced by Black Sabbath.
Strings on Spiral Architect by The Phantom Fiddlers, conducted by Will Malone.

Found in 54 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 39   Visited by: 1235 users
01.04.2011 - 13:23
Rating: 8
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Can anyone else hear a jackhammer during the chorus of Who Are You?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
01.04.2011 - 15:25
Rating: 9
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by M C Vice on 01.04.2011 at 13:23

Can anyone else hear a jackhammer during the chorus of Who Are You?

Now that you mention it yes! Or perhaps its a tambourine?
13.11.2011 - 01:27
Rating: 7
king_matt

All the songs on this album sound the same to me.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
06.02.2012 - 22:00
musicalkaratekid

I can see why this is Mikael Akerfeldt's favourite BS album-it is the band's most progressive album, and one where they experimented with their songwriting as well.
02.03.2012 - 19:29
Pelagial

One of my favorite Black Sabbath album so creative and progrssive.
31.10.2012 - 05:49
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I definitely have begun to appreciate this album at the level of the other early 70s Sabbath albums. It's amazing how many sides this band had, from straightforward hard rock/metal with their first two, then the raw and absolutely crushing Master of Reality, then this experimental release with prog rock and tons of weird-sounding instruments.
24.11.2012 - 13:53
megadeath13
Account deleted
The first album where they experienced a little bit, but the results are overwhelming.
31.12.2012 - 22:56
Illog1cal
Account deleted
The vocals are a problem, Ozzy is flat compared to previous efforts and the tone of his voice is painful and is a strain to listen to at some points of the album.
29.04.2013 - 09:00
Lião
Account deleted
Without doubt their best release. Very experimental, well-written lyrics and Ozzy vocals has became less intense, more catchy.

And that damn synthesizer in "Who Are You"......
11.07.2013 - 11:57
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
This is someting diferent then previusly albums, band name, line up, Ozzy vocals is same, but music, seems they play perfect songs to be in ''Top Of The Pops'' more this fame and glory, more money to burn , UK is to small, USA is to big (still to big) feeling .... seems media find a way how make them play still metal music, but what sells ---- weird album ,. defeently not my fav.
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
11.07.2013 - 12:39
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
^ Yeah, I call bullshit on that "commercial" comment.

One of their best albums for sure.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
11.07.2013 - 14:01
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Sabbath's first 6 albums are all stone cold classics, but this one might just edge it as their best ever body of work. The title track is one of metal's all time classic tracks, and THAT riff during the breakdown, is definitely a contender for the heaviest riff ever created. The wonderful psychadelic whimsy of "Fluff", is simply magical, whilst "Killing Yourself To Live" is the perfect marriage of engaging melody, crushing riffs, and proggy soundscape. Every song on this album is a winner, and whilst it is mostly overlooked in favour of it's predecessors, it really is just as great as those albums. Absolutely classic stuff to be sure!
12.07.2013 - 12:46
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I can't stand Fluff. Definitely the weak point on this one for me.
12.07.2013 - 13:37
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Guest on 12.07.2013 at 12:46

I can't stand Fluff. Definitely the weak point on this one for me.

I must have been around 14 when I first heard this album, and "Fluff" definitely had me scratching my head on that initial listening. I was like, "what the hell is this nonsense?" haha In fact, the album as a whole, aside from a couple of songs didn't click with me at first. It's an album that as the years have progressed, has risen further and further in my estimation. If you'd asked me at say, 16 what was my fave Sabbath album, I definitely wouldn't have said this album, but just a couple of years later, I had grown to adore everything about the album. I think this one is definitely a masterwork, and possibly their best album overall. Great quality songs, and I love their quirkiness.
12.07.2013 - 14:20
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Whilst I really like this album, for me, the introduction of keyboards into the Sabbath sound was not a positive one. I believe it was Rick Wakeman who they brought in to play on this one.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
12.07.2013 - 19:35
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Ace Frawley on 12.07.2013 at 14:20

Whilst I really like this album, for me, the introduction of keyboards into the Sabbath sound was not a positive one. I believe it was Rick Wakeman who they brought in to play on this one.

I'm not certain, but that could have been a factor in why I didn't love the album straight off the bat. However, as time has gone on, I think it is the album's quirkiness which ultimately endeared me to it, and made me see it as an awesome body of work. And the introduction of keyboards as well as the Moog synthesizer, I think added greatly to the album's quirkiness and more expansive sound.

Whilst I can see why this change might not be seen as a positive one by some fans, for me, it's one of the things that makes the album special, and makes it stand out in the Sabbath discography.
13.07.2013 - 13:07
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Angelic Storm on 12.07.2013 at 19:35

I'm not certain, but that could have been a factor in why I didn't love the album straight off the bat. However, as time has gone on, I think it is the album's quirkiness which ultimately endeared me to it, and made me see it as an awesome body of work. And the introduction of keyboards as well as the Moog synthesizer, I think added greatly to the album's quirkiness and more expansive sound.

Whilst I can see why this change might not be seen as a positive one by some fans, for me, it's one of the things that makes the album special, and makes it stand out in the Sabbath discography.

Fair enough and there is probably a compelling argument that Sabbath needed to evolve and introduce some new sounds, rather than making a fifth album along the same lines as the first four. I'd say the guys themselves, as musicians, were looking to try something different and stay fresh as well. This is certainly a very strong album with some great tracks. I remember the first time I heard it, I was really pleasantly surprised at the change, although I'm generally not much of a fan of keyboards. I'm also a big fan of their next couple of albums after this, but think their last one with Ozzy (before 13 of course) was a real let down.
----
13.07.2013 - 14:57
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Ace Frawley on 13.07.2013 at 13:07
Fair enough and there is probably a compelling argument that Sabbath needed to evolve and introduce some new sounds, rather than making a fifth album along the same lines as the first four. I'd say the guys themselves, as musicians, were looking to try something different and stay fresh as well. This is certainly a very strong album with some great tracks. I remember the first time I heard it, I was really pleasantly surprised at the change, although I'm generally not much of a fan of keyboards. I'm also a big fan of their next couple of albums after this, but think their last one with Ozzy (before 13 of course) was a real let down.

Yep... I love the first 4 albums of course, but this album really freshened things up for them, and managed to offer up something a bit different, but still sounding very much like Black Sabbath. The fact that the album is bookended by two equally awesome, but very different sounding tracks, I think on it's own tells the story of the album. The title track is an absolute riff monster, whereas "Spiral Architect" has a haunting, sprawling sound, due in no small part to the heavy use of orchestration, which almost gives it a Beatles-like feel in places.

"Sabotage" is the last Sabbath album (with Ozzy at least) that I'd label as a genuine classic, even if I do enjoy quite a lot of what's on "Technical Ecstasy". For me, "Sabotage" was the last album which featured that magic touch, the spark of genius that made Sabbath such a special band. "Never Say Die!" is overall, a very average album, and is easily the worst Sabbath album with Ozzy on vocals. Back in 1980, "Heaven And Hell" must have been such a breath of fresh air after that painfully average effort!
16.07.2013 - 01:37
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
As great as the first half is, the second side is quite inconsistent. I might even consider Sabotage slightly more consistent on a song-by-song basis, even if I like the general sound and vibe of Sabbath Bloody Sabbath more.
28.03.2015 - 17:04
Rating: 6
Ruchesko

Opener's a good 'un, but then it veers off into the hinterland of psychedelia, which just exposes Ozzy's limitations.
30.03.2015 - 13:55
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by deadone on 30.03.2015 at 01:59

It's got a couple of great tunes (title track and Spiral Architect) but I think it's pretty weak overall.

What about the track "Killing Yourself to Live" - that's pretty strong as well.
----
30.03.2015 - 14:00
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
The extremely strong tracks on this album are:

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
A National Acrobat
Sabbra Cadabra
Killing Yourself To Live
Who Are You?
Spiral Architect
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

31.03.2015 - 13:18
musclassia

A National Acrobat's a great song, although I do like the Sabbra Cadabra/National Acrobat cover by Metallica on Garage Inc. It is a rather different album compared to the first two or three but I do find it a more interesting listen these days
01.04.2015 - 10:52
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by deadone on 31.03.2015 at 01:08

Written by Ace Frawley on 30.03.2015 at 13:55

What about the track "Killing Yourself to Live" - that's pretty strong as well.

I find the chorus irritating.

Fair enough, the chorus is probably my least favourite part of the song as well, but I still think it's a strong track. Overall, I think the album is very good and I have rated it an 8 out of 10. I think a 6 out of 10 (average) is pretty harsh for this album.
----
01.04.2015 - 12:13
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Ace Frawley on 01.04.2015 at 10:52

Fair enough, the chorus is probably my least favourite part of the song as well, but I still think it's a strong track. Overall, I think the album is very good and I have rated it an 8 out of 10. I think a 6 out of 10 (average) is pretty harsh for this album.

Were I to rate this album it would be just over 8 for me.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.04.2016 - 09:32
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
This is without a doubt my favorite Black Sabbath album from the Ozzy era, and probably of all time. I love the experimentation taking place here with the keyboards and almost proggy elements (Rick Wakeman from Yes appears on Sabba Cadabra after all), not to mention Iommi's killer riffs and Ozzy perhaps being at his peak as a vocalist. It's so good.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
15.03.2018 - 22:36
(o> . )

A 9 from me, groovy and intense, some things feel out of place but overall great listening experience. Don't forget to smoke it, get high
28.04.2018 - 13:09
Rating: 7
Mountain King
K i K o
The only album I find interesting from the Ozzy era.
22.05.2020 - 20:14
lemme

They have better albums (eg. Paranoid) but on this release they recorded my favourite track by BS - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath.
22.05.2020 - 20:52
Redel

Written by lemme on 22.05.2020 at 20:14

They have better albums (eg. Paranoid) but on this release they recorded my favourite track by BS - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath.

More or less what I think about this album.
National acrobat is also outstanding.

Hits total: 22868 | This month: 88