Metal Storm logo
Chuck Shuldiner: The hero of Death Metal

Written by: Account deleted
Published: 06.10.2004

Heavy metal and its almost forgotten founder, hard rock, are today tainted with a menagerie of "bands", or more to the point, "acts", who suck dry the originality of the styles founders.
Whenever I happen to mention Chuck Shuldiner in everyday conversation, most people ask questions. I'm not sure if its because of the name or because of some invisible aura that goes along unseen with it, but he always manages to attract attention.

Chuck Shuldiner was and is, to me and thousands of people around the world, the greatest death metal guitarist and vocalist ever to set foot on this earth. My love for this mans playing is not just some one-week fad; it is not just a name that I throw around to gain the respect of other metal-heads, no. I have far too much respect for him than that.

Unlike the many and varied "acts" of today, Chuck Shuldiner, at the tender age of 15, had a purer concept of music than most middle aged musicians and producers. He recorded his first trend free recording for $80 at age 16 with two mates from his Florida high school and was immediately making waves in the growing metal scene of the time. Entitled Mantas; Death by Metal, the 5 track tape was circulated around the East Coast of America and overseas for years purely because of the quality of the music, not because of huge add campaigns, not because of excellent sound quality (it was recorded in Chucks dads garage) but solely on the quality of the playing. It is this type of mentality the kept Chucks music constantly ahead of the pack, he was never afraid to try something different in order to better himself and his band.

Chuck Shuldiner always took to writing and playing his music with the same passion and attitude he had to life, one of love, truth, and hard work. Things that were put into all of Chuck's musical pursuits.
Chuck Shuldiner, most prolifically, played guitar and sang for his Florida based death-metal band, simply entitled Death. With Death, Chuck's first "proper" band, the music constantly evolved with every album. This was due primarily to Chuck, the mainstay of the band and his wish for Death to be the fastest, loudest, brutal, most technical and melodic band all at once.

This was also the reason behind the constant hiring and firing of musicians throughout Deaths history, with 17 odd members gracing the ranks. Chuck never let others influence his bands direction or intent. It was always "his" band. He wrote lyrics, he sang the lyrics. He wrote music, he played the music. It was quoted of an ex-Death member that "Chuck didn't do things different just because he could, no, he was simply incapable of being told what to do." Apart from contributions that no doubt shaped the Death sound, members of death were simply expected to play their instruments to perfection and not become fixated on money image or aesthetic pleasures. They were there for support, for ideas and friendship. Chuck fired guitarist Rick Rozz simply because he loved his hair too much, constantly getting it changed and coloured.

Chuck Shuldiner never had a drug problem. Chuck Shuldiner never brought lavish gifts for high-profile girlfriends. Chuck Shuldiner wasn't a greedy man. He lived his life with his family in Florida and was happy to play with his pets, Heidi the dog, (whom he rescued from a dumpster and certain death) and his cat. He loved quiet walks and having a beer with a mate. At the same time he wrote some of the most powerful, technical, brutal and memorable music. Ever.

One thing that set Death apart from rivals in the 80's and 90's [Sepultura, Cynic, Venom, Slayer] was the lyrically approach Chuck stamped his song with. It was brutal and raw meshing seamlessly with the harmonic guitar sounds. There is a lot of musical evidence on each Death album to suggest there was a lot of learning done by Chuck through the years to get his standard of playing up to the startling peaks of "The Sound Of Perseverance" album.

Chuck himself admitted that in the beginning, around the "Mantas: Death by Metal" and "Death: Scream Bloody Gore" period, he had virtually no soloing skills other than some basic blues licks that didn't fit with the brutal style of the time. Also, the drumming on Death albums gets progressively more and more insane until it plateaus on "Individual Thought Patterns" simply because virtually every timing and roll combination has been tried before. Listening to Gene Holgan (Symbolic and Individual Thought Patterns period) is a treat to the ears.

Hey, and while I'm at it, why not mention Steve DiGeorjio, whom on two of Deaths finest recordings unleashes with the humbling blast and groove of fretless base just to mix things up a bit.

There are no two ways about it, I am a die-hard metal head and eternal Chuck fan. It is incredibly hard for someone in my position to argue against the Shuldiner legend, but for the purpose of getting a good mark: Deaths style does show sings of weakening and growing distant from its gore filled roots on later albums such as The Sound of Perseverance and Spiritual Healing. This is generally accredited to Chuck growing up and the general public interest in more mature (some would say, real-life) issues. These dramatic changes of style alienated thousands of Death fans.

Also, It could be said that Chuck was a very hard person to get along with. It has been said that Chuck was subject to dramatic changes in mood, often detrimental to the music and to his career. These fluctuating moods and goals are also said by some to be to blame for the constant rearranging of the Death line up.

The first of these arguments can be immediately discredited simply by saying that the style changes surrounding the Death albums in question was for the best. Yes, they did alienate a proportion of the Death fan base, but they also helped Death get the worldwide recognition they deserved. Recognition as innovators in a style. As for the second argument, Chuck Shuldiner was pure and simply a perfectionist. When something was not right, he made his feelings clear straight away. He new what he wanted and he sought out the best way to get exactly that, what he wanted. As well as success himself, almost all of the ex-Death members have gone on to have worldwide fame with other bands. Many owe there success to Chuck, none have hard feelings towards him.

Chuck was diagnosed with brain stem cancer in 1999, just after the recording of the last Death album and right in the middle of the new Control Denied album. (A side project and a life long dream)
The metal community the world over got behind the many benefits organised to pay for the musician's expensive treatment. It is this sort of effort that underlines the devotion most metal heads had to this kind and gentle god. However all the best treatment, well wishes and prayers in the world could not save this mortal legend from his gruesome killer. He died at home in his Altamonte Springs home in the late afternoon, with his mother at his bedside, in the afternoon of Friday the 13th 2001. He was 34.

Chuck once wrote, at the age of 18, for his 1988 album Leprosy,

The Long Road
Lies Ahead
Death is oh so strange
The past no one can change
What you can't predict
Is how long you'll exist
-C.S., "Open Casket."

This proved all to true for Chuck.

While people still argue that Death Metal, even the melodic and breathtakingly technical style of Death, is boring, un-listenable and unmusical, they are obviously set in their trendy "fad" music ways and will forever remain oblivious to a purer style of music, untainted by corporate America. Yes, some biased, uneducated individuals may argue that the style of music purveyed by Death and Control Denied is "old", over-rated and under-educated.

What, however, these poor misguided individuals don't realise is that Chuck Shuldiner and Death are undoubtedly one of the greatest, most talented and most important and influential death metal entities to have ever purveyed this style. He wrote some of the most powerful, technical, brutal and memorable music.

Ever.

R.I.P Chuck Shuldiner 13/12/01

Guest article disclaimer:
This is a guest article, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 53   Visited by: 197 users
15.09.2006 - 23:52
xoJ1nXox
R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner, we will never forget you!

I know it doesn't matter, but he was also damn hot. XP
<3
15.10.2006 - 23:23
Fucked Upstairs!
Account deleted
Chuck is Death Metal's hero like Dimmu Borgir are the creators of black metal.
18.10.2006 - 08:25
Opium Magnet
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 15.10.2006 at 23:23

Honestly, why did you bother to insult someone such as Chuck with such pathetic sarcasm?
18.10.2006 - 08:46
Fucked Upstairs!
Account deleted
You don't know me so I don't bother to answer in my typical way.

Opium: I love death metal and I love some of Chuck's stuff (Pre-Death) and I can bang my head to Scream Bloody Gore. The fact is, Cuck is overrated. And even if I respect the opinions here of every user, I'm just fucking fed up with all this: "OMG IZ CHUCK HE INVENTED DEATH METAL HE IS THE BEST DEATH METAL MUSCIAN IN THE WORLD!!!!1111ONEONEONE"

And most Death fans don't talk about their opinion they put Chuck on the front and praise him for creating everything, and that's fucking crap.
18.10.2006 - 11:31
Opium Magnet
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 18.10.2006 at 08:46

Opium: I love death metal and I love some of Chuck's stuff (Pre-Death) and I can bang my head to Scream Bloody Gore. The fact is, Cuck is overrated. And even if I respect the opinions here of every user, I'm just fucking fed up with all this: "OMG IZ CHUCK HE INVENTED DEATH METAL HE IS THE BEST DEATH METAL MUSCIAN IN THE WORLD!!!!1111ONEONEONE"

And most Death fans don't talk about their opinion they put Chuck on the front and praise him for creating everything, and that's fucking crap.

I'm not that kind of fanatic you described above, although I am a fan of Death... I will say that I do believe that your initial satement was unnecessary imo..
21.10.2006 - 22:51
jadawal
Written by Guest on 18.10.2006 at 11:31

I'm not that kind of fanatic you described above, although I am a fan of Death... I will say that I do believe that your initial satement was unnecessary imo..

Most definatly Opium. And Dimmu Borgir being the inventers of Black Metal? What?

But anyways mullet, nice article.
15.02.2007 - 14:56
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
chuck shall never be forgotten, a good article
----
that which shines without names and forms...
16.02.2007 - 03:36
Putrid_Cadaver
Account deleted
Chuck was anazing but not the Kreator(The K is supposed to be there) of death metal. He did pioneer it to the extreme though, which was a very very good move.
16.02.2007 - 23:57
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
wow....I never knew this article existed. This is really good, whenever I'm playing my guitar or just thinking about him, I sorta feel like he's with me, guiding me and my thoughts. Kind of like how I feel he's here right now. Chuck man, you died before I ever knew your music, But I still miss you.

RIP 13/5/1968 - 13/12/2001

You will live on forever.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
19.02.2007 - 03:10
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
Me and My Best Friend used to Crank Leprosy in His Pathfinder on the way to the store for more beer back in the day.....Good times
19.02.2007 - 13:22
Opium Magnet
Account deleted
I still love "Misanthropy" as much as I did when I first heard it, haha... just proving mullet's statement correct...

@Arian Totalis: Same here man, I wish I had've known about Death earlier... before Chuck died...
10.04.2007 - 14:21
Martinikuss
"He wrote some of the most powerful, technical, brutal and memorable music."
Thats fucking right !
10.04.2007 - 14:52
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
I read an article about Chuck in KtmRocks zine(that's our local metal zine) , the conclusion of which was, although Chuck's musical contributions are great and he can always remain as a source of inspiration to upcoming Dm musicians, he is a 'traitor' to the death metal scene because, initially, Death was in the catagory of metal bands like Morbid Angel, Slayer, Venom, Bathory etc. who started the inclusion of ideology in their lyrics and eventually inspired many metal bands to be philosophic(the new bands would have better quality), especially realizing the worthlessness of Judeo-christian culture; but in the last years of his life Huck christianized
thus he killed himself by killing his ideals before his clinical death
(I hope you are familiar with the lyrical parts of death which justify Death's antichristian attitude)
----
that which shines without names and forms...
16.04.2007 - 00:24
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
This was a very emotional article from what i could gather and i think its brilliant. thanks for doing it mullet.

Chuck
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
29.04.2007 - 05:24
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff

Finally, Im not alone in the universe. I wasnt going to put it that harshly but your absolutely right, Chuck is probably one of if not THEE most overrated musician in metal. Seems you cant admit that without facing extreme ridicule from an entire planet of Chuck worshippers.

And no my observation is not coming from ignorance, Ive actually been duped into buying not 1, not 2, but 3 Death albums, first I bought Symbolic because I was told that was there best, frankly 8/9 songs on that album bored me. So I bought Scream Bloody Gore, just in case Symbolic was an off album, and I was bored even further. Then I got Individual Thought Patterns, which is when I realised that Death is massively overrated. Luckily I was able to return SBG and ITP.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
29.04.2007 - 06:26
tulkas
el parcero
all I can say is that IT IS a very emotional article, but still I think it's good. I'm not a Death fan, in fact I haven't heard much from the band, so I'm not with or against saying he was or wasn't the best death metaler ever.
I guess all I that I can say is that he was a great influencer in the genre, whether peolpe like him or not... (just a thought)
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
08.06.2007 - 08:54
graywolf87
Account deleted
From a brother to another brother thanks for spending time describing parts of Chuck's life, it is good to give a little memorial to great people...he deserves everything from the loyal fans, and all the respect from us. His time on earth was but pure influence to the next generations to come.

R.I.P: Chuck' still alive within the music he left to the fans.

"support music not rumors!"
12.06.2007 - 07:12
Nazeef

you're wrong about Dimmu Borgir's foundation of Black Metal. It's about Mayhem & Burzum
----
http://www.myspace.com/shallishine
12.06.2007 - 07:16
Nazeef
Chuck...All written are empty words, listen to the music, he's an unhuman musician, from below...He's sounding like earth...
----
12.06.2007 - 15:28
rageing atheist
Account deleted
In regards to some earlier posts: Did Chuck turn christian? I've read from his interviews that he dropped the upside-down cross from Death's logo, because he didn't want people to associate Death with evil, also in later interviews I've read with him, he says he's not religious, but he doesn't have anything anymore against religion and christianity. I also think, that even if he turned christian, so what? Does it make him a worse person? I don't think so.
13.06.2007 - 06:32
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by Nazeef on 12.06.2007 at 07:12

you're wrong about Dimmu Borgir's foundation of Black Metal. It's about Mayhem & Burzum

Hes being sarcastic.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
14.06.2007 - 15:00
Nazeef
Written by Doc G. on 13.06.2007 at 06:32

Written by Nazeef on 12.06.2007 at 07:12

Hes being sarcastic.

oh yeah!! I've got it... it wasn't that clear.
I expect any thing in here, since I've read that Necrophagist is not a great band.:lol:
----
25.06.2007 - 14:22
Necronomicon
Account deleted
wow people are getting emotional.... i cant understand the worship of any musician like that... i never have such feelings involved in music..

but i think Dr.Rock have a point he is a bit overrated
26.06.2007 - 01:11
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Well, first, its normal when someone dies before his time, that his friends and foes and all people start talking only the best about that person, so he rises even more in the eyes of some. Why not with Chuck Schuldiner too?
This may be the reason for that "overrated-nes".

Second, I dont know did he became religious or not, but I dont know why would anyone bother himself abot such an personal thing of person he never met.
And where are those "satanic" an "anti christian" lyrics?? If you wanna say Crystal Mountain, read the lyrics again, or inform your self better.

I dont consider him "father of Death Metal" or anything, nor I think that Death is the best band in the world, that would be foolish. After Leprosy, Chuck didnt even say they atr playing Death Metal, just Metal. And I think it suit them best. (although tech death is pretty acurate.
But again - I will never understand people who talk like - "I cannot listen to Death after Scream Bloody Gore" - why?? Because they stoped to write STUPID lyrics, were constantly improving their music, an werent POSERS as many extreme metal bands are???

I could say more, but I dont wanna make longer comment than the article itself.
----
03.10.2007 - 13:20
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
Written by xoJ1nXox on 15.09.2006 at 23:52

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner, we will never forget you!

I know it doesn't matter, but he was also damn hot. XP
<3

Shut up and listen to Symbolic now
21.10.2007 - 22:55
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
He was composer of YS death metal hyms and poetry only fiew europeian death band scan write pfylospoical lyrics and only ONE us band--Death!
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
15.03.2008 - 16:07
ABUSOR
Account deleted
Disagreed.... Chuck has nothing on Jeff Becerra and Possessed. Possessed was long before Death. Possessed are THE gods of Death Metal. Dont bother trying to bring up Mantas because they were NOT Death Metal and Chuck didnt do vocals, Kam Lee did them. I have no respect for Chuck just because he is dead and never will. HAIL THE MIGHTY POSSESSED!!!!!!!!
15.03.2008 - 18:25
Metal_Militia
//I think he is one of the most unappreciated and unknown heros of metal as a whole. Incredible musicain and thinker. R.I.P. Chuck//
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
in impenetrable darkness.
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

16.03.2008 - 01:00
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Unappreciated and unknown???
16.03.2008 - 19:29
Metal_Militia
//Yeah, the average metal fan doesnt even know who he is or even Death. I think i can say we arent the average metal fans ut the run of the mill fan doesnt//
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
in impenetrable darkness.
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

Hits total: 23346 | This month: 63